Non-Key Tweets | Page 497 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
I've said it for a long time, UConns place is in the new ACC, which is basically the old Big East and may end up looking even more like the Big East if UNC, Clemson, and/or FSU get plucked.

I've got no problem with that. It basically just reaffirms that CR wasn't based on the right things from the start (surprise surprise) and it lets us rekindle our old regional rivalries

Reaction Score
UConn being in a future "best of the rest ACC/Big12" conference would be a massive step up from our current situation in the AAC. Moreover, being a part of a "new football Big East" would be a significant improvement from the AAC. The BIG is the dream but UConn's situation can not get worse than it currently is...any movement is an improvement.

The absolute worst case scenario is conference realignment freezes for the next 6 years and UConn has to continue to tread water in the AAC till things heat up again. The huge money difference means conference expansion is coming and UConn's situation should improve...the only question is when it happens.

The bigger concern for any future conference UConn may find itself apart is that it has a network. There is a reason the BIG/SEC are financially killing it and the new BIG deals show the leverage a conference which owns its content can weld. While the ACC is negotiating direct sales with ESPN the BIG was shop itself to every network available. The network competition is what drives up the price tag and allowing a sole provider (like ESPN and the ACC) to set the rate will never get the return like open market competitive bidding.

We can argue about whether unplugging and changing viewer platforms will change networks but the bottom line is more people than ever are watching college sports. Moreover, sports are perhaps the last bastion of mass live viewership on TV. I can DVR TV shows and fast forward through the commercials but I have to watch sports live. That means sports advertising becomes even more valuable and providers will pay big money to obtain sports programs.

IMO people want to watch their team and the platform is less important. I'd watch UConn regardless of the channel they were on....ESPN needs college sports a lot more than college sports needs ESPN. The BIG is proving it right now. The SEC/BIG will continue to produce the most revenue but the only way to even stay close is to be in a network conference.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The B1G changed the CR rules with this FOX contract. Sadly, we are no longer a candidate. .
tumblr_m5jgllGwFz1qko769o1_500.gif

You are the lynch pin that holds us all together, a beacon in the darkness, a, a, a nice mutton lettuce and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is really lean.

If you fold up shop, it's over for all of us. Think of humanity, the loss of life, the really, really sad faces at the Spring game. I shudder at the thought.

So shut up, abandon reality and start predicting scenarios that get in the B1G (or at least the Big 12.) We are all counting on you sir. Do your duty... there's a good man.

Last edited:

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

You are the lynch pin that holds us all together, a beacon in the darkness, a, a, a nice mutton lettuce and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is really lean.

If you fold up shop, it's over for all of us. Think of humanity, the loss of life, the really, really sad faces at the Spring game. I shutter at the thought.

So shut up, abandon reality and start predicting scenarios that get in the B1G (or at least the Big 12.) We are all counting on you sir. Do your duty... there's a good man.
Like @UConnDan97 predicting a football season that's not undefeated!

Reaction Score

If you fold up shop, it's over for all of us. Think of humanity, the loss of life, the really, really sad faces at the Spring game. I shutter at the thought.

My exact thoughts in reading that. There's an area somewhere between hopeful and hopeless and we all need to stay in it. The minute the people here accept the crap sandwich some people are trying to serve us, we're in big trouble. Hope is what puts fans in the seats. If we lose hope and resign ourselves to second rate athletics, attendance will slide quickly and when that happens, we're screwed.

I think we have the potential for a perfect storm to be brewing in the next couple of years. A great recruiting class for KO, Geno in the fold for the foreseeable future and the football team returning to its winning ways. I'm not ready to throw in the towel. Things are going to change a lot in the national landscape in the next few years and there's a solid chance we'll be winning big in the 3 revenue sports when it happens. We still have gas in the tank.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 3h3 hours ago
I'm not dead... just busy.

ME: How quaint! :D

But.... B12 still in flux. One day is one thing the next day its something else. Boren being named director is huge.

Hawkeye ‏@hawkeyeND Apr 21
@Mountaineer_Ste @theDudeofWV what? Clearly you aren't good with #'s. Chris said the increase would be 15%, it's already doubled for half

@hawkeyeND @Mountaineer_Ste I said 15-20% increase. You can't judge until the whole pie is bought.

@hawkeyeND @Mountaineer_Ste Obviously I know something because ESPN sure didn't bite.

Be yoU ‏@brandyisme 3h3 hours ago
Be yoU Retweeted Christopher Lambert

Come on twitter, see all kinds of awful crap but this about Boren might send me over the edge.

Christopher Lambert‏@theDudeofWV
@brandyisme What about it? You think having 1 of the 2 pro expansion B12 presidents as chair of the B12 Dir committee is bad?

Be yoU ‏@brandyisme 52m52 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV it's more Boren's personality and mouth that concern me than anything else

A flurry of tweets to follow....

Hawkeye ‏@hawkeyeND 3h3 hours ago
@theDudeofWV @Mountaineer_Ste it's already at 50% increase with just half the rights to fox, even if they never sold the other tiers its 50%

Christopher Lambert‏@theDudeofWV
@hawkeyeND @Mountaineer_Ste It's not a 50% increase.

Expansion_crush ‏@Expansion_Crush 3h3 hours agoAtlanta, IN
@theDudeofWV @hawkeyeND @Mountaineer_Ste it's 250% and it's contingent on the second half.

@Expansion_Crush @hawkeyeND @Mountaineer_Ste It is not... we have to wait and see..

@theDudeofWV @hawkeyeND @Mountaineer_Ste I'll wait for the press conference.

@theDudeofWV @hawkeyeND @Mountaineer_Ste ESPN was paying 100M a year for 100% of the rights. Fox pays up to 250M for 50% of the rights.

@Expansion_Crush @hawkeyeND @Mountaineer_Ste The per game price isn't out of line with what the Big 12 was told to expect.

Hawkeye ‏@hawkeyeND 3h3 hours ago
@Expansion_Crush @theDudeofWV @Mountaineer_Ste that's why I said it's already a 50% increase with only half the rights sold. B1G $$$$!

@hawkeyeND @Expansion_Crush @Mountaineer_Ste What are you guys going to do when the SEC's deal with CBS expires and the SEC goes to market?

@theDudeofWV @hawkeyeND @Mountaineer_Ste when does v the SEC/CBS deal expire? I'm not really concerned, I think high tides float all boats.

@Expansion_Crush @hawkeyeND @Mountaineer_Ste ESPN's deal with CBS is $55 million per year until 2023-24.

@hawkeyeND @theDudeofWV @Mountaineer_Ste A 50% increase over last contract would pay 150 million a year for all T1 rights

@Expansion_Crush @hawkeyeND @Mountaineer_Ste You have to wait and see... what if Fox bought all the T1 games?

@theDudeofWV @hawkeyeND @Mountaineer_Ste I don't think anything is signed on the dotted line. it's dependent on the complete package.

@Expansion_Crush @hawkeyeND @Mountaineer_Ste Lot's of details about the Fox deal too. Like $250 is the ceiling not the average.

CHOP ‏@Ruknighttime 1h1 hour ago
@theDudeofWV @Expansion_Crush @hawkeyeND @Mountaineer_Ste the Fox deal is only HALF the B10 deal..more to come!$$$$

@Expansion_Crush @hawkeyeND @Mountaineer_Ste ESPN's deal with CBS predates any other deal. SEC took less money for national exposure.

Andy smith ‏@Doctor_alesmith 3h3 hours agoShaker Heights, OH
@theDudeofWV @Expansion_Crush @hawkeyeND @Mountaineer_Ste Not true it was a big contract for 2008 http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2008/08/20080818/This-Weeks-News/CBS-To-Pay-SEC-Average-Of-$55-Million-Annually.aspx…?

Andy smith ‏@Doctor_alesmith 3h3 hours agoShaker Heights, OH
@theDudeofWV @Expansion_Crush @hawkeyeND @Mountaineer_Ste when it comes up again they will get another big contract

@Expansion_Crush @hawkeyeND @Mountaineer_Ste People I talk to think its going to be heavy OSU/MSU/Mich/PSU/Neb rotation.

2nd... The Big 12 is likely to do almost anything. It helps that Boren is now the chair of the dirs committee...

The Big Ten deal actually helps Boren and Gee in terms of making the case for expansion & a network.

Quiet coming from the Big 12 is good.

hristopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 3h3 hours ago
It's a positive sign that everybody in the Big 12 is singing the same tune in public. Doesn't piss Texas off that way.

But behind the scenes its the data and the potential p/l statement that may sway Texas.

One thing is for certain. 10 members doesn't offer enough content for a network. Im hearing neither does 12.

The Big Ten deal also means the Big 12 needs another outlet for games. Only 6 appearances contractually obligated on Fox cable stations.

Just my opinion but I think the Big 12's fate will be sealed one way or the other by the time the 2016 season kicks off.

WVU fans need not worry about WVU.

Now its time to ride.... more tomorrow...

ME: Can anyone guess which of his tweets are most likely true? ;)

Reaction Score
My exact thoughts in reading that. There's an area somewhere between hopeful and hopeless and we all need to stay in it. The minute the people here accept the crap sandwich some people are trying to serve us, we're in big trouble. Hope is what puts fans in the seats. If we lose hope and resign ourselves to second rate athletics, attendance will slide quickly and when that happens, we're screwed.
hope.jpg

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Make no mistake, I will always think UConn is a power conference candidate. We absolutely have the metrics for the B12 or ACC (or some sort of hybrid combination of the two many years from now). I just don't think we have the metrics to support an invite to the "new" B1G. We already faced the uphill battle of not being in the AAU. That's strike one. Now, we have to show that we are $50M/yr valuable. There are only about a half dozen schools who can. It's not a slight against us or me "giving up"...just reality being what it is. No AAU. Endowment well below $1B. No $50M/yr TV price tag. Rutgers was able to connect on their B1G Hail Mary because they are AAU, have a $1B endowment and have more cable boxes in their area than we do. I just think we have too big of an uphill climb to overcome. Maybe Delany makes the ultimate growth stock play and adds UConn as part of a HUGE move to land ND and others. But that kind of payday certainly has opened the eyes of other conference heavyweights and they will all lobby for a spot. Our B1G competition suddenly went from schools that we can match up against fairly well (Kansas, GT, UVA) to being against some real powerhouse schools (Notre Dame, UNC, FSU, Texas, OU). That's another strike working against us and it's a big one.

I'm more interested in what the B12 is going to decide to do. Could UConn be part of an aggressive expansion to ultimately land a TV deal? Absolutely. It would boost our TV money from our AAC pennies to $25M, maybe $30+M, per year...where they belong. Our metrics can support being added to a P5 conference in the $25-$30M/yr range today. And who knows what will happen. Maybe the B12's TV deal will convince a few ACC members that don't get gobbled up by the B1G or SEC to make a move (Clemson, Louisville, Miami, Pitt, Syracuse?). In my opinion, a conference of ACC/B12 leftovers that could (and probably will) consist of TCU, Baylor, WVU, Clemson, Louisville, Miami, and Syracuse with UConn, BYU, Cincinnati and some others would be pretty awesome. It might even be enough to be considered #3 in a P4 world.

And yes, if we were to get into an ACC/B12 leftover conference, we can absolutely still compete in all of our sports. The $50M/yr money will do wonders for Michigan, Ohio St, Penn St, Michigan St, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Alabama, LSU, Georgia, A&M, Florida, and Kentucky MBB, but the rest of the conference mates (I'm talking mostly about the bottom tier of the B1G) will need to show that they can turn money into wins. A lot haven't won in years...some in decades...and they've enjoyed a financial advantage in those years too. As long as UConn is in the $20-$30M/yr level, the level that we have the data and numbers to support our inclusion, then we can compete in a P4 world.

Reaction Score
Damian A. Garbero ‏@damianagarbero 20h20 hours ago
@MH ver3 As of right now and in order, who do you think are the top 4 candidates that could be invited to the B12 that are not from the ACC?

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 6h6 hours ago
@damianagarbero Uconn, BYU, UC, UCF

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 2h2 hours ago
Looking like NBC and CBS currently high bidder for 2nd half of B10 content at $170m total.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 2h2 hours ago
Also Fox could be selling some of B12 rights to ESPN. I'll keep you posted on this.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The B1G changed the CR rules with this FOX contract. Sadly, we are no longer a candidate.

Over? Did you say it's over??? Nothing is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! It ain't over now. Cause when the going gets tough? The tough get going! Who's with me?!? Let's go!!!

By the way...15-0. Book it. Count on it. Smack it up, flip it, and rub it down...

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
If the Big 10 is the target, then Dooley you are correct. I still think the Big 12 is our best hope for now and if that doesn't happen, regardless of the Big 10 contracts, there was to be a waiting period due to GORs.

The key here is ESPN. If they punt on the Big 10(less content or none), they put their eggs in the basket of the ACC(cheaper), SEC the other heavyweight, and other conferences. If we are stuck in the AAC,(and I surely hope not) the next contract will be much better(yes $10 M for a school sucks when everyone else is getting $25 M). Why? ESPN will still need content and the numbers put up by the AAC will help drive those numbers plus the content the AAC provides will help make up for the Big 10 timeframes.

Reaction Score
The B1G changed the CR rules with this FOX contract. Sadly, we are no longer a candidate. I thought we could make an argument for membership, even being non-AAU, if the buy-in is/was $30M/yr. It was a longer shot argument (not much different than Rutgers to the B1G) but our candidacy is far less likely (read: not a candidate) now with a $50M/yr buy-in. I'm not saying that I don't believe in UConn's P5 resume. I absolutely do. But we are not an Elite2 conference school. We don't have the profile right now. We might in 5-10 years if we can gain AAU membership and donor contributions REALLY spike, but even if we do, the $50M/yr buy-in will likely become a $100M/yr buy-in by the time we do and, again, we will drop out of the candidate pool.

Notre Dame, UNC, FSU, Texas, Oklahoma. Those are your schools that we are now competing against for B1G entry. If the candidate pool was GT, UVA, KU, etc, then we match up well with them on various metrics. We don't match up well with any school that is now a serious candidate at $50M/yr.

Like I said in another thread, or maybe this one (I don't remember, they really are all about the same thing), our only hopes to gain entry into the Elite2 conferences (B1G or SEC) are the longest of long shots:

1. B1G continues its eastward march and Notre Dame is invited under the contingency of adding another northeastern school. We out maneuver BC for this honor;

2. SEC/ESPN needs desperately to match the B1G's major market annexation plan and, knowing that they have football covered, add UConn for market penetration and basketball strength.

None of these 2 things are likely at all of happening. Instead, our best shot at boosting our $2M/yr TV money into the $20M/yr TV money (where it should be all along) is for a game of musical chairs to happen and some of these second tier P5 conferences lose members to the Elite 2. We backfill into a second tier P5 conference and, eventually down the road, the 'best of the rest' unite in trying to remain on a somewhat equal footing as the schools in the B1G/SEC. Whether that means pooling all the content together into one large, attractive TV package or form a scheduling arrangement more friendly than the existing B1G-PAC relationship, I don't know. The money divide will be too great to ignore and its about to grow even larger.

And there is now no way on God's green Earth that we move our hockey program from the Hockey East to the B1G. There is no contingency plan and there is no full membership plan. We are now officially priced out.

I got 2 words for you. Skiblets and car wash.

pj

Reaction Score
Dooley's a sourpuss. Pessimist. Eeyore. Wet blanket. Sad sack. Zoloft addict.

Maybe the B1G is going to reach down to Florida State and Oklahoma. But, do they really want their conference identity to be "gargantuan football money machine"? Their motto "football uber alles"? I have to think geography and culture still matter. We'll just have to see how things play out.

Reaction Score
Flintdawg8208‏@Odharris1
Sources: Arizona State Hockey Won’t Join Big Ten « WCCO | CBS Minnesota http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/04/25/arizona-st-hockey-big-ten-wcha-nchc/…(Share from CM Browser)

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 2h2 hours ago
Greg Flugaur Retweeted Flintdawg8208

https://mobile.twitter.com/odharris1/status/724770758585503744… Dang it...BTM was right again! LOL! I thought for sure he got bad info.

Greg Flugaur Retweeted Greg Flugaur

https://mobile.twitter.com/flugempire/status/723875523705737216… BTM got info...went against the grain...he was right again. Let's hope he can tell us more at dinner in 12 days

This is why I don't blame people for not believing BTM...because I shake my head at things he tells me and I know him. LOL!

BTM has a bleeping track record like no other...2 years on Twitter... I know he picks up B1G perceptions...sometimes he gets real info.

So now what? Who is B1G HCKY #8? In Jan BTM said ND/UCONN/ASU being targeted. Did UCONN HCKY say no as well? What say you?

There goes my free dinner..

JimdishCT ‏@HuskyCast 2h2 hours ago
@flugempire @Odharris1 Seems to have his known knowns and known unknowns pretty straight given the fluid reality of CR.

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@HuskyCast @Odharris1 I thought his info on April 23rd was wrong. I gave him a bad time. In 12 days hopefully we get clarification...

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@HuskyCast @Odharris1 Somebody told BTM..gave him heads up. He gave us heads up. What does the future hold in B1G HCKY? Who will be #8?

JimdishCT ‏@HuskyCast 2h2 hours ago
@flugempire My outsider view is that hockey only invite for UConn does nothing for the stability of the program or future P5 aspirations.

@HuskyCast I think I agree...I just can't come up with a strong opinion on this call...

@HuskyCast UCONN HCKY has been targeted by B1G HCKY according to BTM...this is what we know. Beyond that?...right now we sit in dark.

Paul Hornstein ‏@pfh1964 2h2 hours ago
@flugempire Yes, but wasn't that really before B12 continual screw up continued? Maybe they are changing their mind.

@pfh1964 Maybe... So BTM nailed it 2 days ago. I think you nailed the reason why....Western HCKY growth is brewing.

Matt Necci‏@MattNecci
@flugempire @HuskyCast there would be zero interest from UConn w/out eventual full membership. Rivals and recruits mostly in New England

Andy smith ‏@Doctor_alesmith 2h2 hours agoShaker Heights, OH
@MattNecci @flugempire @HuskyCast 2 million a year might die it

Matt Necci ‏@MattNecci 1h1 hour ago
@Doctor_alesmith @flugempire @HuskyCast hockey is the only bus sport we have right now. Not increasing expenses w/o huge revenue potential

Andy smith ‏@Doctor_alesmith 1h1 hour agoShaker Heights, OH
@MattNecci @flugempire @HuskyCast well I think u are saying it yourself uconn won't be in the b1g at all

Paul Hornstein ‏@pfh1964 1h1 hour ago
@MattNecci @flugempire @HuskyCast We kind of all figure that. Can't figure out why B10 will not lock up northeast for BTN by adding UCONN.

Paul Hornstein ‏@pfh1964 1h1 hour ago
@flugempire Haven't heard much NCHC chatter at all. So far next year, DU, , WMU and exhibition v SFU.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 1h1 hour ago
@pfh1964 Yeah...on April 23rd BTM did say WCHA believes they are going to get ASU HCKY

Bluevod‏@Bluevodreal
@Genetics56 @DurkDiggler8810 I have u Just recently heard Miami but not from me sources.

Larry Cousins ‏@conundrummerboy 17h17 hours ago
@Bluevodreal @Genetics56 Heard it's between Miami and UConn. Huskies keep B12 out of NY/NE. Public w/better Acad,Hcky, Bball improvng Fball.

Tom ‏@TommyNole 15h15 hours ago
@conundrummerboy @Bluevodreal @Genetics56 A lot of unsubstantiated rumors floating around. And now a lot of it is making no sense or $.

Genetics56 ‏@Genetics56 15h15 hours ago
@TommyNole @conundrummerboy @Bluevodreal sounding like it will be NBC for football, Turner/CBS for basketball.

Tom ‏@TommyNole 14h14 hours ago
@Genetics56 @conundrummerboy @Bluevodreal where'd you hear that? It's starting to all feel like echo chamber chatter (incl me)!

Genetics56 ‏@Genetics56 14h14 hours ago
@TommyNole @conundrummerboy @Bluevodreal sports business journal. Same source as the fox news

Tom ‏@TommyNole 14h14 hours ago
@Genetics56 @conundrummerboy @Bluevodreal okay thanks, looks like nothing directly expansion related.

Corneilus Green ‏@CGreen63 10h10 hours ago
@Genetics56 @TommyNole @conundrummerboy @Bluevodreal ESPN will get the other half of Big Ten rights

Bluevod ‏@Bluevodreal 10h10 hours ago
@CGreen63 @Genetics56 @TommyNole @conundrummerboy yes they have to but still think NBC grabs CP game

J ‏@UCONNfan14 3h3 hours ago
@Bluevodreal @CGreen63 @Genetics56 @TommyNole @conundrummerboy I am hearing other half is cbs and nbc at between 170-200 million

Genetics56 ‏@Genetics56 3h3 hours ago
@UCONNfan14 @Bluevodreal @CGreen63 @TommyNole @conundrummerboy both OTA so that would be exactly what Delany wsnts.

Corneilus Green ‏@CGreen63 3h3 hours ago
@UCONNfan14 @Bluevodreal @Genetics56 @TommyNole @conundrummerboy Still can't see ESPN being left out. I still think ESPN gets the other half

Omega Supreme ‏@OmegaSupreme914 2h2 hours ago
@CGreen63 @UCONNfan14 @Bluevodreal @Genetics56 @TommyNole @conundrummerboy we will see ESPN in 6 years

Corneilus Green ‏@CGreen63 2h2 hours ago
@OmegaSupreme914 @UCONNfan14 @Bluevodreal @Genetics56 @TommyNole @conundrummerboy ESPN gets the other half. Just my hunch

Bluevod ‏@Bluevodreal 2h2 hours ago
@CGreen63 @OmegaSupreme914 @UCONNfan14 @Genetics56 @TommyNole @conundrummerboy not see ESPN not getting a big chunk of 2nd half. NBC sliver

Reaction Score
Flug's BTM man was half right on ASU. If they go to the WCHA (as he predicted and definitely the unexpected move) then his connection is legit. The NCHC was always seen as the most logical home for ASU, B1G just made no sense.

Reaction Score
I laughed at the guy asking if their Twitter discussions were starting to become an echo chamber. All of this incredible information is floating around the inter webs yet it hasn't been picked up by a single media outlet. Suck it MSM you got scooped by MH3 and The Dude of Michigan.

Reaction Score
Flug's BTM man was half right on ASU. If they go to the WCHA (as he predicted and definitely the unexpected move) then his connection is legit. The NCHC was always seen as the most logical home for ASU, B1G just made no sense.
What about all those B1g alumni in Arizona? Before this, people were screaming it made perfect sense. Won't they feel left out?

Reaction Score
I have to think Miami (OH) is going to be No. 8 for B1G Hockey. They are a natural Midwestern rival who has a legit program that has experienced success in recent years.

I think all things considered, the B1G would much rather have UConn as their No. 8, but that Herbst and co. are holding out for an all-sports invite (which is 100% the right move).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have to think Miami (OH) is going to be No. 8 for B1G Hockey. They are a natural Midwestern rival who has a legit program that has experienced success in recent years.

I think all things considered, the B1G would much rather have UConn as their No. 8, but that Herbst and co. are holding out for an all-sports invite (which is 100% the right move).
Personally, I'm sure Delaney is going cave in. I'm thinking we're all in by the 2017 season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom