Non-Key Tweets | Page 496 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Geno won't be here in 6 years and a bunch of T3 value will go with him. We can't wait 6 years.

How much of $9.14M/yr do you think is tied to WBB? I never said we can afford to wait 6 years. Just that we might want to try to get our T3 rights back for as long as we are stuck in the AAC and wait for the next wave of CR to explode. For as long as we are stuck in the G5, we might as well enjoy a substantial financial advantage over our AAC/G5 competition.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Yeah here is the thing: nobody is in charge of all these tough negotiations at UConn.

The Big 12 isn't expanding - the Big 10 is not calling.

Maybe someday the ACC will need some new teams. Until then can we please stop with UConn to the Big 10?

Screen Shot 2016-04-24 at 9.50.39 PM.png

Reaction Score
Here's the deal - I think the Big 10 massive rates in the next 6 years actually help UConn IF they are committed to keep their football program up for 8-10 more years.
The B1G will be adding UConn and/or ACC teams in 10 years. In all likelihood it will be ACC teams but regardless, we will fill in the holes within the ACC.

Reaction Score
Bluevod ‏@Bluevodreal 4h4 hours ago
Okl may be in play to Big10.

GT NC UVA FSU ND OKL each big 10 member roughly 60 mill payout. Watch NBC in the TV deal opens up ND.

D A Reinhard ‏@DurkDiggler8810 4h4 hours ago
@Bluevodreal still don't see regents approving OU move without Oksu

@DurkDiggler8810 Okl wants Big 10 bad. I thought they would only take them with Texas but I guess not.

Chad Bailiff ‏@Cjbay26 3h3 hours ago
@Bluevodreal I didn't think that OK could leave without Okie St. A state legislator thing??

Bluevod ‏@Bluevodreal 3h3 hours ago
@Cjbay26 I would guess they fell very confident in making the move.

Justin Lugo ‏@JDLugOU 3h3 hours ago
@Cjbay26 @Bluevodreal i think Tex A&M proved that in state schools dont need to move together ... Once thought UT and A&M had to be together

@JDLugOU @Cjbay26 yes the tradition thing is done. It is all about $$$. I hate it but it is what it is.

Chad Bailiff ‏@Cjbay26 43m43 minutes ago
@Bluevodreal @JDLugOU I hope so. Would love to see OU in the best conference in America

Genetics56 ‏@Genetics56 2h2 hours ago
@Bluevodreal @DurkDiggler8810 OK, UVA, UNC, GA Tech, FSU would be great. If o ND, who is six? Miami?

Bluevod ‏@Bluevodreal 2h2 hours ago
@Genetics56 @DurkDiggler8810 I have u Just recently heard Miami but not from me sources.

Tom ‏@TommyNole 2h2 hours ago
@Bluevodreal @Genetics56 @DurkDiggler8810 there is no way both FSU and Miami would be invited together. I'd seriously question that source

Tom ‏@TommyNole 1h1 hour ago
@Genetics56 @Bluevodreal @DurkDiggler8810 I'd be very very surprised if the B1G bites off 6 teams at once. Or any really.

No deal is done but I would raise to 65% chance on latest info.

Jonathan Coker™ ‏@JonBCoker 4h4 hours ago
@Bluevodreal what has been the latest info? Also, what teams would move to West division in your opinion?

@JonBCoker some have told me but I do think they have gotten even close to that point.

Terry E. Littlejohn ‏@LJSooner62 4h4 hours ago
@Bluevodreal I hope so!

Mitch Green ‏@MitchWGreen 4h4 hours ago
@LJSooner62 @Bluevodreal would be nice to see OK & NE reunited (without you know who).

Terry E. Littlejohn ‏@LJSooner62 3h3 hours ago
@MitchWGreen @Bluevodreal So true! And I definitely know who you mean.

Terry E. Littlejohn ‏@LJSooner62 3h3 hours ago
@MitchWGreen @Bluevodreal The Big 12 has been 'burnt' by them several times, so to speak.

Mitch Green ‏@MitchWGreen 3h3 hours ago
@LJSooner62 @Bluevodreal they are in the same class as Notre Dame. True narcissists.

@MitchWGreen @LJSooner62 little payback is been coming to them recently.

Corneilus Green ‏@CGreen63 3h3 hours ago
@Bluevodreal If Oklahoma moves to the Big 10, I could see Texas jumping to Pac-12

@CGreen63 not sure Texas has gone dark on this whole thing. I have not heard one word in the last 2 months.

ME: "the best conference in America". They sure seem that confident over in corn land? :D

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The B1G can add just about who ever they want. And it won't be a school that isn't already AAU. So, Okla is out. They'll go SEC or Pac eventually.

Reaction Score
While a Big Ten add like UNC or Virginia could definitely serve a utilitarian purpose for the B!G....

I have to wonder if the spoon would taste the flavor of the soup.

Reaction Score
It's pretty great that someone posted more twitter nonsense after this.

The Big 10 is totally going to add 6 teams... that is how math works.
I have a question...looking for your opinion on this idea: What is your take on UConn landing in a conference made up of the rest of the ACC/B-12 and possibly Cincy and Houston? At the end of the day to me this is where we end up with between 15-20 schools a P-4 school getting around $20-$25 mill/yr.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
As far as graduate programs and research go, Kansas and UConn are equivalent. At the undergraduate level, the only substantive difference is that Kansas requires the university to accept all students with a GPA of 2.0 or higher in a college prep curriculum, or with an SAT score above 980 if they've achieved a GPA of 3.25. (U.S. Freshmen Requirements | Undergraduate Admissions). These are really easy admissions standards and it hurts KU in the undergrad rankings. Nevertheless for a good student, the quality of undergraduate education at KU and UConn may be similar, you just have more dumb classmates at KU.

Seems about right to me as a guy who went to both schools. That auto-admission requirement is a killer for them, and they'd love to dump it (state law). They work hard so that HS guidance counselors will direct those kids to Emporia State, or WSU etc. rather than flunking out at KU.

Just returned from a 7 day cruise, and UConn is still in the AAC.

Reactions: pj

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have a question...looking for your opinion on this idea: What is your take on UConn landing in a conference made up of the rest of the ACC/B-12 and possibly Cincy and Houston? At the end of the day to me this is where we end up with between 15-20 schools a P-4 school getting around $20-$25 mill/yr.

There are 24 (25) schools in those two leagues. The last thing UConn would want is them to combine.

Since the start of this I've been saying I think UConn ends up in the ACC after a couple of schools leave - it seems that is impossible for at least 6 years.

Why would the Big Ten add more mouths to feed now when they have to go back to the table in 6 years in what might be a very different television world? If the Big Ten isn't adding anyone then where would anyone in the ACC or Big 12 go?

The new AD all but said nothing is happening. If it's meant to be is what you tell a friend when the person they want to be with gets engaged to someone else. It isn't what someone says when they have momentum towards anything.

Kansas to the Big Ten? The state is on their way to eliminating all higher ed funding... doesn't really seem to be what the Big Ten would be looking for.

Reaction Score
Here's the deal - I think the Big 10 massive rates in the next 6 years actually help UConn IF they are committed to keep their football program up for 8-10 more years.
The B1G will be adding UConn and/or ACC teams in 10 years. In all likelihood it will be ACC teams but regardless, we will fill in the holes within the ACC.

Filling holes in the ACC: This sounds like the death knell for UConn athletics. If the B1G grabs UNC, G Tech, FSU, Virginia, & the SEC opts for Clemson & NC State the ACC as we know it ceases to exist. What's left is basically the old Big East rising like a phoenix out of the ashes. but at a substantial financial divide from the aforementioned conferences. With such a decimation of that conference, wouldn't ESPN et al say that they are no longer contractually obligated & demand a renegotiation at a much lower price as ESPN did when the Big East leftovers morphed into the AAC?

pj

Reaction Score
The B1G can add just about who ever they want. And it won't be a school that isn't already AAU. So, Okla is out. They'll go SEC or Pac eventually.

The B1G may be constrained to be at 16 or 20 for scheduling reasons. If so, and if there are more than 2 elite AAU schools that they want, but fewer than 6, they may be forced to go to 20 and balance the AAU schools with a non-AAU school or two. Oklahoma, Florida State, UConn, and Notre Dame seem like the top candidates, Va Tech also if they can't bring in Virginia.

Right now all we have are fever dreams from fans so of course the big sports names get the biggest play. You have to wonder whether football prowess is going to trump geographic and cultural concerns and get the likes of Florida State and/or Oklahoma into the B1G. I'm sure the B1G presidents are not as enthusiastic about these schools as the sports fans.

Reaction Score
Clemson to the SEC: small, predominantly poor population with tiny media market(s) already covered by USC. No offense to poor Palmetto State residents, but NFW.

Reaction Score
There are 24 (25) schools in those two leagues. The last thing UConn would want is them to combine.

Since the start of this I've been saying I think UConn ends up in the ACC after a couple of schools leave - it seems that is impossible for at least 6 years.

Why would the Big Ten add more mouths to feed now when they have to go back to the table in 6 years in what might be a very different television world? If the Big Ten isn't adding anyone then where would anyone in the ACC or Big 12 go?

The new AD all but said nothing is happening. If it's meant to be is what you tell a friend when the person they want to be with gets engaged to someone else. It isn't what someone says when they have momentum towards anything.

Kansas to the Big Ten? The state is on their way to eliminating all higher ed funding... doesn't really seem to be what the Big Ten would be looking for.
I agree with you in some part...eventually I think UConn is in a reconfigured ACC. With who will be dictated on the remaining part of the B1G's Tier 1 media pkg.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The B1G changed the CR rules with this FOX contract. Sadly, we are no longer a candidate. I thought we could make an argument for membership, even being non-AAU, if the buy-in is/was $30M/yr. It was a longer shot argument (not much different than Rutgers to the B1G) but our candidacy is far less likely (read: not a candidate) now with a $50M/yr buy-in. I'm not saying that I don't believe in UConn's P5 resume. I absolutely do. But we are not an Elite2 conference school. We don't have the profile right now. We might in 5-10 years if we can gain AAU membership and donor contributions REALLY spike, but even if we do, the $50M/yr buy-in will likely become a $100M/yr buy-in by the time we do and, again, we will drop out of the candidate pool.

Notre Dame, UNC, FSU, Texas, Oklahoma. Those are your schools that we are now competing against for B1G entry. If the candidate pool was GT, UVA, KU, etc, then we match up well with them on various metrics. We don't match up well with any school that is now a serious candidate at $50M/yr.

Like I said in another thread, or maybe this one (I don't remember, they really are all about the same thing), our only hopes to gain entry into the Elite2 conferences (B1G or SEC) are the longest of long shots:

1. B1G continues its eastward march and Notre Dame is invited under the contingency of adding another northeastern school. We out maneuver BC for this honor;

2. SEC/ESPN needs desperately to match the B1G's major market annexation plan and, knowing that they have football covered, add UConn for market penetration and basketball strength.

None of these 2 things are likely at all of happening. Instead, our best shot at boosting our $2M/yr TV money into the $20M/yr TV money (where it should be all along) is for a game of musical chairs to happen and some of these second tier P5 conferences lose members to the Elite 2. We backfill into a second tier P5 conference and, eventually down the road, the 'best of the rest' unite in trying to remain on a somewhat equal footing as the schools in the B1G/SEC. Whether that means pooling all the content together into one large, attractive TV package or form a scheduling arrangement more friendly than the existing B1G-PAC relationship, I don't know. The money divide will be too great to ignore and its about to grow even larger.

And there is now no way on God's green Earth that we move our hockey program from the Hockey East to the B1G. There is no contingency plan and there is no full membership plan. We are now officially priced out.

Reaction Score
Clemson to the SEC: small, predominantly poor population with tiny media market(s) already covered by USC. No offense to poor Palmetto State residents, but NFW.
I'm also a USC east fan...have been following them since I made the decision to move to Myrtle Beach area when I retire. I can tell you this..there is absolutely zero love between Clemson and USC east! There is no way the powers that be in Columbia SC allow Clemson to become a member of the SEC. If this was even a remote possibility they would have been invited before Missouri or A&M.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The B1G changed the CR rules with this FOX contract. Sadly, we are no longer a candidate. I thought we could make an argument for membership, even being non-AAU, if the buy-in is/was $30M/yr. It was a longer shot argument (not much different than Rutgers to the B1G) but our candidacy is far less likely (read: not a candidate) now with a $50M/yr buy-in. I'm not saying that I don't believe in UConn's P5 resume. I absolutely do. But we are not an Elite2 conference school. We don't have the profile right now. We might in 5-10 years if we can gain AAU membership and donor contributions REALLY spike, but even if we do, the $50M/yr buy-in will likely become a $100M/yr buy-in by the time we do and, again, we will drop out of the candidate pool.

Notre Dame, UNC, FSU, Texas, Oklahoma. Those are your schools that we are now competing against for B1G entry. If the candidate pool was GT, UVA, KU, etc, then we match up well with them on various metrics. We don't match up well with any school that is now a serious candidate at $50M/yr.

Like I said in another thread, or maybe this one (I don't remember, they really are all about the same thing), our only hopes to gain entry into the Elite2 conferences (B1G or SEC) are the longest of long shots:

1. B1G continues its eastward march and Notre Dame is invited under the contingency of adding another northeastern school. We out maneuver BC for this honor;

2. SEC/ESPN needs desperately to match the B1G's major market annexation plan and, knowing that they have football covered, add UConn for market penetration and basketball strength.

None of these 2 things are likely at all of happening. Instead, our best shot at boosting our $2M/yr TV money into the $20M/yr TV money (where it should be all along) is for a game of musical chairs to happen and some of these second tier P5 conferences lose members to the Elite 2. We backfill into a second tier P5 conference and, eventually down the road, the 'best of the rest' unite in trying to remain on a somewhat equal footing as the schools in the B1G/SEC. Whether that means pooling all the content together into one large, attractive TV package or form a scheduling arrangement more friendly than the existing B1G-PAC relationship, I don't know. The money divide will be too great to ignore and its about to grow even larger.

And there is now no way on God's green Earth that we move our hockey program from the Hockey East to the B1G. There is no contingency plan and there is no full membership plan. We are now officially priced out.
Your 2nd scenario about going to the SEC is a better pipe dream right now than getting a B1G invite.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Yeah here is the thing: nobody is in charge of all these tough negotiations at UConn.

The Big 12 isn't expanding - the Big 10 is not calling.

Maybe someday the ACC will need some new teams. Until then can we please stop with UConn to the Big 10?
Whaler is one of the most rational and sane posters around. I just choose to be irrational in the non-key tweets thread.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I think you are right. But I also don't think more money means that others can't compete. There comes a point when the money is enough to compete, and that point is much less than what the B1G will dole out. UConn in the current Big XII, with our own T3 rights, can compete long term.

This whole system is likely to collapse soon. Reports are the the new B1G deal will be short. While that may be to allow them to raid other leagues before the new deal, it is also likely that networks will be increasingly likely to bet on monetizing this content in the future media world.

A world where each school is more free to monetize it's content outside of the conference is quite possibly the future, and one that bodes well for UConn, if we can just get better opponents on our schedules. In that world, you can imagine leagues shrinking again, to get the schedules most popular for their fans.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom