Non-Key Tweets | Page 460 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Was the Dude in KC @ the B12 tourney hanging with the ADs and Presidents when he says it was a love fest to expand and migrate the LHN into the B12N?

But then Texas got pissed and called it the next day?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Chaos!!! Chaos!!!

Dude receiving info from his sources:
giphy.gif

Reaction Score
I would believe UConn going to the SEC before I began entertaining the thought of WVU going to the SEC.

Only way I see WVU to the SEC is if the XII dissolves and 1) the SEC ends-up with just OK St and needs a partner to make it to 16, and 2) can't pry V Tech or NC State from the ACC (maybe even Louisville). Then, the SEC my have limited options with WVU fighting with maybe the best of Baylor/TCU/K State for the 16th slot. I would say Baylor and TCU offer more than WVU in terms of market potential and overall brand value. WVU matches-up better against just K State.

Reaction Score
Even if OU and KU leave as long as the B12 has a bowl association with the SEC through the Sugar Bowl that conference is still viable. They could give Texsa a ND-type association deal to put their Olympic sports in, give them a 6-game deal for exposure purposes. Texsa becomes a quasi-independent in order to take their brand to different areas of the country. The other 7 schools don't have anywhere else to go. They might be able to bring two or three more schools in, play a conference schedule of 8 games to allow for better, more competitive out-of-conference games.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 4h4 hours ago
Bombshell: I have just been told that Texas will not consent to LHN being transformed into a Big 12 network.

There will be no expansion without a Big 12 network and likely no Big 12, as we know it, after 2025.

Pardon me while I write the obituary for the Big 12.

Mountaineer Steve ‏@Mountaineer_Ste 4h4 hours agoIrmo, SC
@theDudeofWV I agree, and if that is the case WVU is screwed.

@Mountaineer_Ste WVU is NOT screwed.

brock ‏@bc_frogs 4h4 hours ago
@theDudeofWV It's March 2016. Let's tone down the dramatics. These things are ongoing.

Christopher Lambert‏@theDudeofWV
@bc_frogs I have to believe it's a maneuver by Texas.

Tim Legg ‏@MisterLegg 4h4 hours ago
@theDudeofWV @bc_frogs A maneuver...to what end?

@MisterLegg @bc_frogs Who knows. Make Boren grovel. Allow Texas to pick who gets added.

@theDudeofWV @MisterLegg Could be as simple as UT trying to slow Boren down. No rush. Let B1G start ACC raid. Then pick 6 w/ media partners

unknown2015122222 ‏@12dcvffffffff 3h3 hours ago
@theDudeofWV @MisterLegg @bc_frogs To make Oklahoma be the first one to make the move. Then Texas follows. No network indeed = no expan.

Storrs South ‏@gampel_2_msg 4h4 hours ago
@theDudeofWV @MisterLegg @bc_frogs I believe you previously tweeted that Texas does have 2 schools in mind already?

@gampel_2_msg @MisterLegg @bc_frogs Hopefully this is just the start of the politicking.

Boren/Gee may have failed spectacularly or succeeded spectacularly & made Texas play the role of the villain.

Flintdawg8208 ‏@Odharris1 4h4 hours ago
@theDudeofWV what are West Virginia conference options if the Big 12 breakup just a question?

@Odharris1 I believe OU & WVU would go to the SEC. KU to the B1G. The rest would reform.

Kraut2k ‏@kraut2k 4h4 hours ago
@theDudeofWV what would B1G want with Kansas? Doesn't add tv. No recruiting advantage to be gained. Horrible football.

@Odharris1 It will not just break up. The GoR will keep it intact temporarily.

Mountaineer Steve ‏@Mountaineer_Ste 37m37 minutes agoIrmo, SC
@theDudeofWV If yout bombshell is true, Gee may have failed spectacularly when WVU is in the AAC

greg ‏@85bevo 4h4 hours ago
@theDudeofWV If true, I am sure there is a reason.

@85bevo Time to work it out. Reports are that ESPN will decline ACCN. So very odd.

@theDudeofWV I am sure there are some back room discussions. I trust our new leadership at Texas.

@theDudeofWV Governor Abbott is also Texas alumni, I am sure he wouldn't screw other Texas schools like perry did with aggy leaving

I have to say the vibe in KC was the opposite. It was a foregone conclusion that Texas would allow LHN to be converted into B12N.

UTDrew6 ‏@UTDrew6 3h3 hours ago
@theDudeofWV Whoever thought this wasn't getting their info from the important people at Texas. This has NEVER been a serious option.

@theDudeofWV Could be a simple leak to appease UT boosters that don't like the look of OU/Boren dictating the future of the LHN.

What happened? Most likely Texas wants some type of concession(s) but what?

J. Michael Young ‏@JMichaelYoung1 4h4 hours ago
@theDudeofWV No. "What happened" is that our fan base loves the LHN now. It is awesome.

@JMichaelYoung1 I doubt that.

J. Michael Young ‏@JMichaelYoung1 1h1 hour ago
@theDudeofWV The UT fan base would be furious if we gave up the LHN simply to add programs like Cincy or UCONN. FSU and Clemson? Maybe so.

Lance ‏@lancefield03 1h1 hour ago
@theDudeofWV UT wants to make sure any re-aired games are not ones in which they lost.

UTDrew6 ‏@UTDrew6 3h3 hours ago
@theDudeofWV 23.5 hours of air time? :)

Zach Hedges ‏@zthedges 4h4 hours ago
@theDudeofWV Probably $$$. Texas doesn't benefit from a B12N that only matches their current deal. Bet they'll leverage this into a profit.

Carnot Evans ‏@carnot3 4h4 hours ago
@theDudeofWV permanent extension of the $15M/yr maybe? or adding to that as a guarantee?

ME: Trouble in paradise? ;)

IF he is right about Texas balking on the LHN, why in the hell does he think that this development is shocking or a "bombshell"?

Reaction Score
I don't think Texas has all the leverage here. ESPN takes a bath if the B12 ever loses teams like Kansas and Oklahoma. It takes a bath if it has to subsidize LHN in a league of Texas and the 7 dwarfs. And this means Texas risks not being able to port its network to any conference not named the ACC. The SEC isn't going to allow it, and neither are the B1G and the Pac12. It only seems to have half a chance in the ACC. But even then...

In other words, as long as the money is decent for Texas, they have every reason to negotiate with Oklahoma.

Reaction Score

So the ACC is getting an extra 3 million a year per school if there is no conference network by July 1 of this year? That is not an insignificant amount. I thought the conference was getting a flat 45 million, one time payment. Big difference. Good job by swofford.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
So the ACC is getting an extra 3 million a year per school if there is no conference network by July 1 of this year? That is not an insignificant amount. I thought the conference was getting a flat 45 million, one time payment. Big difference. Good job by swofford.
Yeah. I thought the same.

Now is it enough to bide time. What happens to the GOR on July 1?

Reaction Score
Yeah. I thought the same.

Now is it enough to bide time. What happens to the GOR on July 1?
With that much extra loot the ACC is safe for a while. Big 12 is barking up the wrong tree if they think they're shaking FSU or Clemson loose. They will have to stay at 10 or expand with the mentioned candidates.

Reaction Score

Wow, I'm not shocked about the content...I'm shocked that MH3 said this a week or two ago about how the ACC will be offered an extra $3 mil a school per year if there's no network. May be the first credible thing he's ever tweeted and may make him somewhat believable. Can't believe I just typed that.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
With that much extra loot the ACC is safe for a while. Big 12 is barking up the wrong tree if they think they're shaking FSU or Clemson loose. They will have to stay at 10 or expand with the mentioned candidates.
I don't think a school from the ACC goes to Big12 unless it's a leftover after SEC and B1G pick them apart.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Wow, I'm not shocked about the content...I'm shocked that MH3 said this a week or two ago about how the ACC will be offered an extra $3 mil a school per year if there's no network. May be the first credible thing he's ever tweeted and may make him somewhat believable. Can't believe I just typed that.
No worries. MH source was the same as the guy that wrote this article (see link to Louisville radio show). Those hillbillies still know nothing.

Reaction Score
He's on fire now:
  1. MH 3 ‏@MH 3 7m7 minutes ago
    Giving AAC bowl slot vs P5 helping to negotiate early exit for expansion teams.

2 retweets1 like

2. MH 3 ‏@MH 3 8m8 minutes ago
    ESPN also exploring the idea of creating a bowl game exclusively for B12N with AAC as opponent.

0 retweets0 likes

3. MH 3 ‏@MH 3 17m17 minutes ago
    ESPN is willing to put the first round of B12 bball tourney on B12N as well.
  1. MH3 ‏@MH3 22m22 minutes ago
    @pfac51 since you asked so nicely they have 2: LHN branding in Texas, and keeping their original programming.

View conversation
    0 retweets2 likes

2. MH3 ‏@MH3 25m25 minutes ago
    Also willing to drop "presented by Longhorn sports" from name. Still wants LHN branding in Texas except in Waco, Lubbock, and Fort Worth.

0 retweets0 likes

3. MH3 ‏@MH3 27m27 minutes ago
    No longer requiring lifetime of unequal sharing-now saying 10 years.

0 retweets0 likes

4. MH3 ‏@MH3 28m28 minutes ago
    LHN to B12N tug of war continues.UT will concede on some initial demands.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He's on fire now:
  1. MH 3 ‏@MH 3 7m7 minutes ago
    Giving AAC bowl slot vs P5 helping to negotiate early exit for expansion teams.

2 retweets1 like

2. MH 3 ‏@MH 3 8m8 minutes ago
    ESPN also exploring the idea of creating a bowl game exclusively for B12N with AAC as opponent.

0 retweets0 likes

3. MH 3 ‏@MH 3 17m17 minutes ago
    ESPN is willing to put the first round of B12 bball tourney on B12N as well.
  1. MH3 ‏@MH3 22m22 minutes ago
    @pfac51 since you asked so nicely they have 2: LHN branding in Texas, and keeping their original programming.

View conversation
    0 retweets2 likes

2. MH3 ‏@MH3 25m25 minutes ago
    Also willing to drop "presented by Longhorn sports" from name. Still wants LHN branding in Texas except in Waco, Lubbock, and Fort Worth.

0 retweets0 likes

3. MH3 ‏@MH3 27m27 minutes ago
    No longer requiring lifetime of unequal sharing-now saying 10 years.

0 retweets0 likes

4. MH3 ‏@MH3 28m28 minutes ago
    LHN to B12N tug of war continues.UT will concede on some initial demands.

If we can get this wrapped up before the batman vs. superman premiere, i'm ready to take this deal. I'd like to have that day free.

Reaction Score
The long horn network is a big mystery to me. Is the thing losing money hand over fist because it's not watched and/or subscribed, or did they just way overpay for it to begin with? Probably both. However, if no one is getting it, what good does it do for Texas to want to keep it in place in large part as long as they keep the money they could get without a b12 network?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The long horn network is a big mystery to me. Is the thing losing money hand over fist because it's not watched and/or subscribed, or did they just way overpay for it to begin with? Probably both. However, if no one is getting it, what good does it do for Texas to want to keep it in place in large part as long as they keep the money they could get without a b12 network?

Both parts. ESPN over paid and the network isn't getting the coverage or the fees they anticipated. Texas is guaranteed the money, it's on ESPN to hustle and recover the cost. And this far not enough providers have picked it up and they're not paying the rates ESPN needs.

pj

Reaction Score

It's losing money for ESPN, making money for Texas. It hasn't drawn outside Texas and even within Texas cable fees are low because it lacks the Tier 1 content (e.g. football games are on tape delay, live they are on networks) and Texans aren't rich.

For Texas, the money is only guaranteed for some period of time, maybe another 10 years. They need to position themselves for the future.

If they can get the same money with more long-term security because the model is better and their partners are profitable, it's good for them.

Reaction Score
Don't forget that ESPN is still in cost-cutting mode. Their parent company mandated $100m last year. This year it's $250m.
LHN is quite the target for that. Just my $.02

UConn Dan

Reaction Score

The GOR is real. But it *could* be that the ACC has to vote to continue the GOR post July 1 and accept the $3mil per school in lieu of a network. We'll find out. Should be an interesting next few months: Big 12 expansion vote, ACC July 1 no network date, and B1G TV negotiations.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Or alternatively, extending the GOR is quid pro quo for the $3M. If so, schools will weigh their options.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 3h3 hours ago
Texas news of yesterday confirmed. Hopefully still just positioning.

Martin ‏@BABIP_God 3h3 hours ago
@theDudeofWV could they change their mind next year and the B12 still be fine?

@BABIP_God No. Again no idea who is making the decision at UT or why.

Dun Woody ‏@dun1870gc 2h2 hours ago
@theDudeofWV @BABIP_God Prediction on countdown to next Boren eruption?

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 2h2 hours ago
@dun1870gc @BABIP_God None. He either makes nice with Texas or the conference goes boom.

Dun Woody ‏@dun1870gc 2h2 hours ago
@theDudeofWV @BABIP_God Apologies if this is duplicate ? Has UT indicated they still want expansion and who (new) targets are?

I'm too depressed to write an update... but I should.

Gregory D. M. K. ‏@GregGregoryKJ 15h15 hours ago
@letsgomtnrs @theDudeofWV If Texas screws this up, what's next for WVU in nine years? AAC?

@GregGregoryKJ @letsgomtnrs WVU is one of the most valuable properties in the Big 12. Either 3rd or 4th. WVU will be P5.

The good news is that Texas hasn't said no publicly. That means there is hope.

Flintdawg8208 ‏@Odharris1 2h2 hours ago
@theDudeofWV why are you worried and depressed when you have the opportunity to go to the SEC you should be excited and grateful and happy.

@Odharris1 WVU doesn't have the resources to compete year in and year out in the SEC. It does for the Big 12.

@theDudeofWV yes it does you will be closer to SEC schools travel will be cheaper. Your school is not scared of competition right? Be happy

@Odharris1 Resources... WVU is very profitable but the alumni in the SEC are flat out bugsnot crazy. WVU fans are crazy but not tree killers

@theDudeofWV your school was in the big east now in big 12. They were rejected by ACC and now you say WVU go to the sec. That's winning.

@Odharris1 Rejected by the ACC isn't accurate. A few schools in the ACC (UNC & Duke) have problems with WVU not based in reality.

@theDudeofWV OK above all this realignment crap your school should come out the winners cuz you would be in the sec. Right?

@Odharris1 The ACC power has shifted to FSU and Clemson. Both are very pro WVU.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

Something doesn't smell right, here. Am I to believe that ESPN is going to shell out 45m/year to the ACC. The same ESPN that is having cash issues? I thought the payout was a one-time 45M?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom