Non-Key Tweets | Page 459 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
OU is not AAU either, right?
If that is not an impediment for OU (or us), then we would fit perfectly into the B1G with them.

The trouble is I don't believe it. IMO, I still think we are on track for the Big 12 sooner than later.

AAU was not an impediment for Nebraska. Why should it impede OU?

Reaction Score
Actually Nebraska was AAU when admitted to the B1G. They got booted a year or two later.

I know, but Michigan and Wisconsin tried to oust them a whole year before they were invited to the B1G. When Michigan and Wisconsin realize they didn't have the committee votes, the tabled the vote and then worked to recompose the committee 12 months later. In the interim, Nebraska joined the B1G.

It was clear that some of the top B1G schools wanted Nebraska out of the AAU long before Nebraska joined the B1G.

Reaction Score
It was clear that some of the top B1G schools wanted Nebraska out of the AAU long before Nebraska joined the B1G.

Well, they wanted stricter criteria for counting "research" dollars, and Nebraska fell short under the revised criteria.

The problem now is that Delany, as an expert witness (or whatever it may be called) commented that it was a requirement that candidate schools be AAU.

Reaction Score
The surprise would be if they weren't talking. No one makes a huge, long-term, $30-50 million per year decision without investigating alternatives. If they are looking at B12 with and without a network, they are looking at opportunities outside the B12 as well. They are surely talking to SEC and Pac as well.

Things that it would be good to know:
  • How do Oklahoma and the B1G perceive timing? Is the GoR solid, is 2025 close enough that they can wait out an unsatisfactory B12 situation and don't need to challenge it?
  • Is OU negotiating B12 expansion to improve their own conference, or just to leave their kid brother institutions better situated when they exit? An Oklahoma exit, reducing the conference below 10 and letting the networks terminate the contract, would be disastrous for Ok State, K State, Iowa State, etc.
  • Who would be their partner to the B1G? OU would be a bit of a geographical outlier without Kansas. On the other hand UConn would be a more valuable partner.
  • Would UConn to the B12 prevent UConn to the B1G. If OU can leave B12 for B1G then UConn could too, but it would be costlier than moving from the AAC, unless the B12 is being voluntarily dissolved with many simultaneous departures. If the B1G is seriously interested in UConn, they would probably look for some kind of temporary arrangement (full sports in all but football, scheduling program in football, football entry when OU is available).
  • Can they get OSU to the SEC, improving the position of both schools if OU goes B1G? Would SEC be willing to take two Oklahoma schools? Probably not.
  • What are the options Texas is exploring? As Texas is tied to ESPN via LHN, they would presumably look at SEC or ACC. Presumably a ND-like deal with ACC, keeping LHN but adding Tier 1 football to LHN to make it profitable, would be the most attractive model.
  • Is the talk of a B12 network substantial or just a smokescreen? It's hard to see how a B12 network could possibly be competitive with SEC or B1G membership, the conference footprint is just too small. Is failed network negotiations going to be the cover for moves to B1G and SEC?
A great indication you guys are leaving the AAC is 3 VIP'S guests of the CONFERENCE championship game
were from S.Miss

Reaction Score
A great indication you guys are leaving the AAC is 3 VIP'S guests of the CONFERENCE championship game
were from S.Miss
Well, there's a good chance someone's leaving. We can only hope it is us! Things look good now, but we've been down this road too many times to count our chickens before there is a press conference with SH shaking someone's hand.

Reaction Score
were from S.Miss
The thing that worries me (and maybe I'm reading too much into this) is that if the AAC were to add anyone it would be to replace ONE current member. That would most likely mean BYU and Cincy or UConn. If it were two AAC schools they would stay at 10 and avoid expanding. Just hoping for the best.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
And.... Johns Hopkins goes down to Navy. You're going to be hard pressed to argue against a world class institution like Hopkins.

Seems to be a very strong bias in this report towards small, elite (academic and socioeconomic) liberal arts schools and possibly lower tuition (see Army & navy, which are 'free') over larger, STEM oriented schools, which seems to be counter intuitive in today's world.
  • CA: Pomona (liberal arts) over Stanford and Cal Tech
  • MA: Williams (liberal arts) over Harvard and MIT
  • MD: Navy ('free') over Johns Hopkins
  • NY: Army ('free') over Columbia and Cornell (and several very good liberal arts schools like Vassar, Hamilton & Colgate)
  • OH: Oberlin (liberal arts) over Case Western
  • PA: Swarthmore (liberal arts) over U Penn
  • VA: Washington & Lee over both UVA and William & Mary
Based on this trend, I am surprised that Yale was the top school in CT instead of Wesleyan or Trinity.

Also, as noted, some states are just plain scary when it comes to higher education choices.

Reaction Score
The thing that worries me (and maybe I'm reading too much into this) is that if the AAC were to add anyone it would be to replace ONE current member. That would most likely mean BYU and Cincy or UConn. If it were two AAC schools they would stay at 10 and avoid expanding. Just hoping for the best.
At this point i think y.ou have a better shot than Cinncy.....reading LT's Okie CR board their seems a cooling on Cinncy a bit.....BYU is also touchy for religious reasons and that research firm should bear out UConns obvious value plus your a large State school...either way you're probably in the P5 soon.

Reaction Score
Utini ‏@PromiscuousJawa · 2h2 hours ago
A source expects something of substance re: b12 expansion on or around the Final Four. Possible official announcement.

Reaction Score
Utini ‏@PromiscuousJawa · 2h2 hours ago
A source expects something of substance re: b12 expansion on or around the Final Four. Possible official announcement.

Unless UConn or Cincy are somehow playing in the Final 4 and no current teams are in, no chance the Big 12 distracts from the attention of one of it's schools playing with such an announcement.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
So, let's bypass the May meetings with the contracted outside companies and just announce something early. The promiscuous one must be delusional from the STD he contracted and has not addressed.

Reaction Score

I think Aresco already stated that they would add one if AAC drops to 11, but likely stay at 10 if AAC loses 2. So no they only need one school on standby.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 4h4 hours ago
Bombshell: I have just been told that Texas will not consent to LHN being transformed into a Big 12 network.

There will be no expansion without a Big 12 network and likely no Big 12, as we know it, after 2025.

Pardon me while I write the obituary for the Big 12.

Mountaineer Steve ‏@Mountaineer_Ste 4h4 hours agoIrmo, SC
@theDudeofWV I agree, and if that is the case WVU is screwed.

@Mountaineer_Ste WVU is NOT screwed.

brock ‏@bc_frogs 4h4 hours ago
@theDudeofWV It's March 2016. Let's tone down the dramatics. These things are ongoing.

Christopher Lambert‏@theDudeofWV
@bc_frogs I have to believe it's a maneuver by Texas.

Tim Legg ‏@MisterLegg 4h4 hours ago
@theDudeofWV @bc_frogs A maneuver...to what end?

@MisterLegg @bc_frogs Who knows. Make Boren grovel. Allow Texas to pick who gets added.

@theDudeofWV @MisterLegg Could be as simple as UT trying to slow Boren down. No rush. Let B1G start ACC raid. Then pick 6 w/ media partners

unknown2015122222 ‏@12dcvffffffff 3h3 hours ago
@theDudeofWV @MisterLegg @bc_frogs To make Oklahoma be the first one to make the move. Then Texas follows. No network indeed = no expan.

Storrs South ‏@gampel_2_msg 4h4 hours ago
@theDudeofWV @MisterLegg @bc_frogs I believe you previously tweeted that Texas does have 2 schools in mind already?

@gampel_2_msg @MisterLegg @bc_frogs Hopefully this is just the start of the politicking.

Boren/Gee may have failed spectacularly or succeeded spectacularly & made Texas play the role of the villain.

Flintdawg8208 ‏@Odharris1 4h4 hours ago
@theDudeofWV what are West Virginia conference options if the Big 12 breakup just a question?

@Odharris1 I believe OU & WVU would go to the SEC. KU to the B1G. The rest would reform.

Kraut2k ‏@kraut2k 4h4 hours ago
@theDudeofWV what would B1G want with Kansas? Doesn't add tv. No recruiting advantage to be gained. Horrible football.

@Odharris1 It will not just break up. The GoR will keep it intact temporarily.

Mountaineer Steve ‏@Mountaineer_Ste 37m37 minutes agoIrmo, SC
@theDudeofWV If yout bombshell is true, Gee may have failed spectacularly when WVU is in the AAC

greg ‏@85bevo 4h4 hours ago
@theDudeofWV If true, I am sure there is a reason.

Christopher Lambert‏@theDudeofWV
@85bevo Time to work it out. Reports are that ESPN will decline ACCN. So very odd.

@theDudeofWV I am sure there are some back room discussions. I trust our new leadership at Texas.

@theDudeofWV Governor Abbott is also Texas alumni, I am sure he wouldn't screw other Texas schools like perry did with aggy leaving

I have to say the vibe in KC was the opposite. It was a foregone conclusion that Texas would allow LHN to be converted into B12N.

UTDrew6 ‏@UTDrew6 3h3 hours ago
@theDudeofWV Whoever thought this wasn't getting their info from the important people at Texas. This has NEVER been a serious option.

@theDudeofWV Could be a simple leak to appease UT boosters that don't like the look of OU/Boren dictating the future of the LHN.

What happened? Most likely Texas wants some type of concession(s) but what?

J. Michael Young ‏@JMichaelYoung1 4h4 hours ago
@theDudeofWV No. "What happened" is that our fan base loves the LHN now. It is awesome.

@JMichaelYoung1 I doubt that.

J. Michael Young ‏@JMichaelYoung1 1h1 hour ago
@theDudeofWV The UT fan base would be furious if we gave up the LHN simply to add programs like Cincy or UCONN. FSU and Clemson? Maybe so.

Lance ‏@lancefield03 1h1 hour ago
@theDudeofWV UT wants to make sure any re-aired games are not ones in which they lost.

UTDrew6 ‏@UTDrew6 3h3 hours ago
@theDudeofWV 23.5 hours of air time? :)

Zach Hedges ‏@zthedges 4h4 hours ago
@theDudeofWV Probably $$$. Texas doesn't benefit from a B12N that only matches their current deal. Bet they'll leverage this into a profit.

Carnot Evans ‏@carnot3 4h4 hours ago
@theDudeofWV permanent extension of the $15M/yr maybe? or adding to that as a guarantee?

ME: Trouble in paradise? ;)

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 29m29 minutes ago
The news about UT refusing to allow LHN's conversion to a B12 network shocked me as it is a complete reversal from what was said 2 days ago.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 27m27 minutes ago
Hopefully this is UT's power play to take initiative away from Boren & Gee & steer the B12's choices going forward.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 26m26 minutes ago
I know UT wanted the B12 GoR extended to match the length of the LHN term. UT also wasn't keen on adding AAC schools.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 25m25 minutes ago
Coming out of the 2/4-5 directors meetings it was my understanding UT had deferred to ESPN provided they did not lose any LHN income.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 25m25 minutes ago
It was my understanding that ESPN had elected to pickup the B12N & pass on ACCN.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 24m24 minutes ago
Suddenly today I receive word Texas is balking. No reason given.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 23m23 minutes ago
That is all I know. I did not verify this info. I don't hear from this source often but when I do it's important.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 22m22 minutes ago
I trust him enough to pass along whatever I learn from him without verification. But he provided very little detail.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 20m20 minutes ago
Personally I can't see why UT is doing this unless they are reminding Oklahoma & the rest that the Longhorns alone control the fate of B12.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 19m19 minutes ago
I don't know Anymore.

Flintdawg8208 ‏@Odharris1 18m18 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV that is why other schools left Texas conference. Who wants to have a master? You say your school can go to sec. Pray 4 it.

#pittsux ‏@big12killeers 20m20 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV looks more like "on our terms" then anything else.

Zach Hedges ‏@zthedges 29m29 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV What do they care which schools? As long as they get their checks, I'd think they'd welcome the extra wins...

AB ‏@ajbwvu1 30m30 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV not even UCONN?

Mo Persinger ‏@hmpersinger3 31m31 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV saving us from ourselves

Mo Persinger ‏@hmpersinger3 32m32 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV good for UT

Zach Hedges ‏@zthedges 22m22 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV Leave door open for an eventual ACC invite if ESPN goes forward with ACCN instead? Roll LHN into that?

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 40s40 seconds ago
@zthedges No. B12N just as profitable if not more.

Reaction Score
This is peak Dude.

Declare an unequivocal bombshell news item one minute (UT says no on LHN!) then 5 minutes later give himself a way out (a maneuver to tell Oklahoma who is really in charge?).

If you play both sides you won't be wrong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom