Non-Key Tweets | Page 445 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
non-key tweet: The key tweets thread is officially dead. I think a new thread needs to be started.
Seeing that the state is in such bad shape financially, maybe it will vote red in November and the folks in Texas will look differently upon us. Just a thought.
You actually made me check to see that the Key Tweets thread was still there / not locked. Don't scare me like that.

Reaction Score
Flug says we're getting a B12 invite and we already have people dreaming up a B1G/B12 bidding war for us... Glad we aren't being greedy before we're officially out of the woods.

This is all total fiction at this point anyway, but if you're going to bother addressing it I don't think it's unrealistic to ask whether either of the ACC or the Big Ten is willing to let the Big XII have its toe on the edge of Metro NY in addition to the edge of the DMV.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
This is all total fiction at this point anyway, but if you're going to bother addressing it I don't think it's unrealistic to ask whether either of the ACC or the Big Ten is willing to let the Big XII have its toe on the edge of Metro NY in addition to the edge of the DMV.

It's better just to go to the edge of the DMV and not to actually go into the DMV.

Reaction Score
MH ver3‏@MH ver3
So UT is wanting LHN to retain a good chunk of its own branded programming but is it leaning towards conceding LHN to B12 but....
1:03 PM - 3 Mar 2016

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
They want to retain many of their current shows and have a hybrid network with B12 that keeps the LHN branding in Texas except...

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
...in Baylor, TT, and TCU markets where it will be branded as "the Big12 network presented by Longhorn Sports"

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
Which is what they want the full network name to be in every other market as well

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
And UT will retain a majority ownership in said network with their payout(after initial buy in period) will be 125% of other members cut.

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
Indefinitely

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
So if other members are making $10m per year UT will get $12.5m

Ringneck85@Ringneck85
@MH ver3 and that folks is how the Big 12 blew up.

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
@Ringneck85 Boren isn't happy but it is a start.

Scott MacHaggis ‏@ScottMacHaggis
@MH ver3 @Ringneck85 There's no way Oklahoma goes for this. Adios B12.

Ringneck85@Ringneck85
@MH ver3 it's not a B12 network if it's owned and operated by UT. I hope this is an "ask for the ranch, settle for the chickens" situation.

Bruce Harris@JBruceHarris
@MH ver3 that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
@JBruceHarris yeah it's kind of ridiculous

Scott MacHaggis ‏@ScottMacHaggis 35m35 minutes ago
@MH ver3 @JBruceHarris It's almost like UT wants to blow up the B12.

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
But let's be realistic and honest here. UT is more valuable to the B12 than any other member.

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
ESPN believes it can get an in-state/market subscriber fee of around $0.68 monthly and out of state $0.15.

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
ESPN also believes it can realistically bundle the network in approximately 70million homes within 3 years.

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
With the right additions to the B12 it could be nearly 35m in market additions.

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
Would be over $340m per year in additional revenue at 14 teams

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
After espns cut it would bet each member around $15m and UT around $18m per year.

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
Would have to be the right mix of big markets and then getting the network bundled would take time.

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
ESPN projecting SECN to be paying more than that per member within the next 3 years.
1:18 PM - 3 Mar 2016

Troy ‏@TroyJr_67 39m39 minutes ago
@MH ver3 anything new on ACC

MH ver3 ‏@MHver3 6m6 minutes ago
@TroyJr_67 yes but I haven't gotten the ok to post it yet. Should be soon.

Reaction Score
As Lola (Damn Yankees) says to Satan after he has spent his day cursing and condemning..

"You must be exhausted".

MH VER has to use a lot of wattage just dreaming up his scenarios and sources.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Who has to OK what he posts? Voices in his head?

He has tweeted before that his "sources" give him the information then tell him what is OK or not OK to post; which, of course, totally contradicts Journalism 101 in that if the source is agreeable enough to give you the info in the first place, they're OK with letting you report it.

He may be referring to what most people would consider "off the record" information when he talks about info his sources say is not OK to post. But I would think that professional decorum would dictate that if it's to be kept off the record, you don't hint that you even have that information.

In summation, I think he's full of it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
As Lola (Damn Yankees) says to Satan after he has spent his day cursing and condemning..

"You must be exhausted".

MH VER has to use a lot of wattage just dreaming up his scenarios and sources.

Honestly, this information is so specific as to have a ring of truth to it. No idea if it is, but the whole "Longhorn branding" thing sounds like the kind of thing UT might indeed ask for a starting position in this negotiation.

I've certainly criticized him and Dude, but usually they make vague statements that can be read many ways. This is different. Remember, he isn't suggesting that this will happen, just that it is what UT asked for. I don't think that's unbelievable at all.

Reaction Score
Honestly, this information is so specific as to have a ring of truth to it. No idea if it is, but the whole "Longhorn branding" thing sounds like the kind of thing UT might indeed ask for a starting position in this negotiation.

I've certainly criticized him and Dude, but usually they make vague statements that can be read many ways. This is different. Remember, he isn't suggesting that this will happen, just that it is what UT asked for. I don't think that's unbelievable at all.

Was thinking the same thing. You need to put yourself in UT's shoes here. If they straight up give up the LHN for a Big 12 Network - even with a sizable payout - that's a reputational loss for them and the current administration.

If I were negotiating on UT's behalf, the first thing I would do is to save some of the branding that they've created for the LHN.

Even, "The Big 12 Network live from Longhorn Studios in Austin, Texas" would be a win from there standpoint because it's a reminder to the rest of the conference what UT gave up on their behalf.

Reaction Score
Was thinking the same thing. You need to put yourself in UT's shoes here. If they straight up give up the LHN for a Big 12 Network - even with a sizable payout - that's a reputational loss for them and the current administration.

If I were negotiating on UT's behalf, the first thing I would do is to save some of the branding that they've created for the LHN.

Even, "The Big 12 Network live from Longhorn Studios in Austin, Texas" would be a win from there standpoint because it's a reminder to the rest of the conference what UT gave up on their behalf.
The question is, why would Oklahoma agree to anything like that? Let alone the "indefinite" extra payout.

Boren has said that Texas needs to be "made whole" with extra payouts thru the end of their current LHN deal with ESPN. Practically speaking, there's no getting around that if you want a conference network. But there's no reason for Oklahoma to give more than that when they could just sit in the Big 12 and then bolt for the B1G or wherever else when the time comes.

Giving Texas any special branding rights when they'd already be getting a sizeable bonus payout over the first several years would be a terrible deal. It'd basically be Oklahoma playing Chris Christie to Texas' Trump.

03christie-web-master675.jpg

If those are the demands, there's no deal there.

Reaction Score
MH ver3‏@MH ver3
Ok so now I can share my ACC info

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
ESPN not launching ACCN. Going to offer ACC an extra $30m per year on contract to give each school a $2m bump.

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
ESPN also going to make members of ACC sign a new GOR in order to get the $

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
Several ACC schools expected to not agree with this. ESPN trying to avert B10 gutting ACC.

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
This will be ESPNs last ditch effort to keep ACC intact.

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
FSU,UVA,UNC, Duke, Clemson, and GT are all going to be opposed of GOR

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
ACC will not get their extra $$ if GOR not signed by all.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The question is, why would Oklahoma agree to anything like that? Let alone the "indefinite" extra payout.

Boren has said that Texas needs to be "made whole" with extra payouts thru the end of their current LHN deal with ESPN. Practically speaking, there's no getting around that if you want a conference network. But there's no reason for Oklahoma to give more than that when they could just sit in the Big 12 and then bolt for the B1G or wherever else when the time comes.

Giving Texas any special branding rights when they'd already be getting a sizeable bonus payout over the first several years would be a terrible deal. It'd basically be Oklahoma playing Chris Christie to Texas' Trump.

03christie-web-master675.jpg

If those are the demands, there's no deal there.

They won't. He said as much, saying that was the end of the Big 12 if UT stuck to that position. He's not saying it's the deal, he said that was what UT asked for as its opening position. I'm sure UT knows it won't get that either. This is how deals get done.

Reaction Score
I'm still waiting for Conspiracy Kitty to tell me what this means. There's the obvious point, that UConn is making its presence known to Dallas and the Big XII. Then there's the one I'm hoping for, where we're flirting with someone else to make the B1G jealous and add us. They can't let the XII into NY/NE, can they?

I've quoted Jim Delany's statement before from a story on the BTN website:

There sat the Big Ten, quiet amid the chaos. Finally, Delany had to act. The tipping point: The ACC’s move into the Big Ten’s geographic region.

“At that point, there was more risk to not do anything,” said Delany. “It was worth the risk to change. To not change with other leagues coming into our areas … ”

Enter Rutgers and Maryland.

- See more at: http://btn.com/2014/05/07/dienhart-big-tens-big-bold-move-east/#sthash.DNYW6nrq.dpuf

I would love to think that UConn is having discussions with the ACC or B1G. However, I don't think that UConn would be shelling out the money for a full page ad in the Dallas newspaper and 9 bill boards in Texas if there were any serious talks going on with the ACC or B1G.

Reaction Score
MH VER has attempted to get around the ACC GOR before...the new scenario is that, in exchange for $2 million a year additional in lieu of a network, that the ACC will have to sign a GOR extension.

This is nothing other than fantasy, I think.

While I do believe that the ACC and ESPN have negotiated a bump in the current rights fee because of ESPN's delay on the network, I think the signing of a GOR extension is a MH VER invention.

A invention that gets him around the barrier to his imagined scenarios.

Reaction Score
MH3 ‏@MH3 · 48m48 minutes ago
Just to clarify: ACC GOR would not be an extension of the current GOR but a new GOR entirely with no backdoor clause hinging on ACCN launch

The current ESPN contract always stated that of no network was launched then the deal and GOR would be reworked within a certain time period

MH3 ‏@MH3 · 49m49 minutes ago
And the time is up

ESPN is already losing $$ on current ACC deal and would be losing more by giving more $$

Back when ACC was making $14m per school and it looked like FSU and Clemson were leaving ESPN threw more $& at ACC

MH3 ‏@MH3 · 47m47 minutes ago
Then the cord cutting started in earnest and profits began to plummet and cuts were made

MH3 ‏@MH3 · 47m47 minutes ago
Now ESPN has backed itself in a corner and it is cheaper to thrown$30m per year at ACC than to lose way more trying to launch a network

MH3 ‏@MH3 · 46m46 minutes ago
B12N is only feasible to ESPN because it would use the existing LHN infrastructure and LHN already has carriage in heart of B12

Brad Weiss ‏@UConnPittDad · 48m48 minutes ago
@MH3 is UCONN is squarly in the mix?

MH3‏@MH3
@UConnPittDad yes. Very much so. Vital market for a conference network to obtain.

MH3 ‏@MH3 · 45m45 minutes ago
ESPN was in a position where it was going to have to pay the old BigEast a big payday to keep the rights because the ratings were there

MH3 ‏@MH3 · 44m44 minutes ago
Instead they used ACC to destroy BE and now it is looking like it is the ACC's time to take the fall

MHver3 ‏@MHver3 · 44m44 minutes ago
ESPN gets most of what they want with B12 and SEC

And buys some of what they want from B10.

And then they have some of the PAC for the games no one outside of California gives a damn about.

Reaction Score
LAT@letsgomtnrs
@MH ver3 I thought the ACC already had a GoR??

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
@letsgomtnrs they do but it is contingent on ESPN launching the ACCN. It has a backdoor.

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
Just to clarify: ACC GOR would not be an extension of the current GOR but a new GOR entirely with no backdoor clause hinging on ACCN launch

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
The current ESPN contract always stated that of no network was launched then the deal and GOR would be reworked within a certain time period

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
And the time is up

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
ESPN is already losing $$ on current ACC deal and would be losing more by giving more $$

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
Back when ACC was making $14m per school and it looked like FSU and Clemson were leaving ESPN threw more $& at ACC

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
Then the cord cutting started in earnest and profits began to plummet and cuts were made

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
Now ESPN has backed itself in a corner and it is cheaper to thrown$30m per year at ACC than to lose way more trying to launch a network

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
B12N is only feasible to ESPN because it would use the existing LHN infrastructure and LHN already has carriage in heart of B12

Brad Weiss ‏@UConnPittDad 56m56 minutes ago
@MH ver3 is UCONN is squarly in the mix?

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 54m54 minutes ago
@UConnPittDad yes. Very much so. Vital market for a conference network to obtain.

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
ESPN was in a position where it was going to have to pay the old BigEast a big payday to keep the rights because the ratings were there

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
Instead they used ACC to destroy BE and now it is looking like it is the ACC's time to take the fall

Ringneck85 ‏@Ringneck85 50m50 minutes ago
@MH ver3 assuming all info is correct that would most likely mean FSU, Miami, Clemson, Louisville, Pitt, & Cuse to B12 and no Cincy & Uconn?

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
ESPN gets most of what they want with B12 and SEC

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
And buys some of what they want from B10.

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
And then they have some of the PAC for the games no one outside of California gives a damn about.

chitownsundevil ‏@chitownsundevil 58m58 minutes ago
@MH ver3 Lame

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
@chitownsundevil yeah but it's mostly true. And California is a big TV market so there's that.

chitownsundevil ‏@chitownsundevil 42m42 minutes ago
@MH ver3 Phoenix, Seattle, Las Vegas, Denver, Portland...

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I've quoted Jim Delany's statement before from a story on the BTN website:

There sat the Big Ten, quiet amid the chaos. Finally, Delany had to act. The tipping point: The ACC’s move into the Big Ten’s geographic region.

“At that point, there was more risk to not do anything,” said Delany. “It was worth the risk to change. To not change with other leagues coming into our areas … ”

Enter Rutgers and Maryland.

- See more at: http://btn.com/2014/05/07/dienhart-big-tens-big-bold-move-east/#sthash.DNYW6nrq.dpuf

I would love to think that UConn is having discussions with the ACC or B1G. However, I don't think that UConn would be shelling out the money for a full page ad in the Dallas newspaper and 9 bill boards in Texas if there were any serious talks going on with the ACC or B1G.

The flip side is they may not be shelling out that money if there were serious talks going on with the XII either... It kinda says desperation to me. Like they're on the outside looking in and they're making a last ditch effort to get noticed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom