Non-Key Tweets | Page 439 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
MH3@MH3 1yr in the future
There will only be one mega Conference the B12 will expand to 84 teams. WV in partnership with ESPN, Fox, CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN and the Oprah Channel have announce they have agreed to GOR and WV will be Conference Commissioner and head of WVNCAA.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
MH3 ‏@MH3 · 2h2 hours ago
For example ESPN actually is in the red in regards to the ACC deal. Projected almost -20% when ratings and advertisements are considered

Mountaineer Steve ‏@Mountaineer_Ste · 2h2 hours ago  Irmo, SC
@MH3 Where in the world are you getting these numbers?

MH3‏@MH3
@Mountaineer_Ste these numbers are part of the research being done for the B12 in regards to expansion and a network.

@Mountaineer_Ste these numbers were texted to me by my WVU AD source.

Murr ‏@MurrDCU · 2h2 hours ago
@MH3 So the only really bad contract is the ACC's.

MH3‏@MH3
@MurrDCU yes. And ESPN knew it was a bad contract when they negotiated it.

Also learned while the ACC GOR is being challenged in court there are creative ways around it since ESPN holds those rights and some ofB12's

C.L.H. ‏@calluke1 · 2h2 hours ago
@MH3 What does this mean in regards to your previous prediction of UC and CT to B12?

MH3‏@MH3
@calluke1 my source believes they are both getting in.BYU also enhances B12 profile but there are too many issues.ACC schools may be in play

MH3 ‏@MH3 · 1h1 hour ago
@calluke1 may see a scenario where Pitt/Cuse/and Wake are left holding the bag and the rights to the ACC name

MH3 ‏@MH3 · 1h1 hour ago
@calluke1 and those three would theoretically have a huge heap of ACC buyout money to build with.

MH3 ‏@MH3 · 1h1 hour ago
@calluke1 assuming there isn't a vote to dissolve the conference.

MH3 ‏@MH3 · 1h1 hour ago
@calluke1 I could see Pitt just taking their $200m and running though.

MH3 ‏@MH3 · 6m6 minutes ago
So I asked my source if ACC contract is so overvalued how can ACC schools increase revenues for B10/SEC/B12?

MH3 ‏@MH3 · 5m5 minutes ago
2 things. Conference network subscriber fees and better overall schools in the brand.

MH3 ‏@MH3 · 4m4 minutes ago
Wake and Pitt are the true weak sisters of the ACC. Cuse and BC are close but Cuse has Bball an BC has Market.
BC has market? BWAHAHAH. They don't even have a Boston Market near Chestnut Shill!!!

Reaction Score
Texas Roundball ‏@TexasRoundball 38m38 minutes ago
@MH ver3 lol but acc and ESPN want all them over your wvu bunch

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3
@TexasRoundball ESPN wanted ACC to take WVU and Pitt. ACC claimed WVU academics were inferior...them invited Louisville later.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3
@TexasRoundball fact: WVU kills most of the ACC in football ratings and would be in the top half in bball ratings.

Texas Roundball ‏@TexasRoundball 26m26 minutes ago
@MH ver3 2015 average viewers per game: SYRACUSE 2.057 WAKE FOREST 1.156 PITT 1.161 West Va 0.933
1f602.png

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 24m24 minutes ago
@TexasRoundball use rankings from the past ten years and WVU blows them away. Most of WVU games are on a fledgling fox station

Texas Roundball ‏@TexasRoundball 22m22 minutes ago
@MH ver3 we can use 2015, most reasonable data points, wvu next to last in acc

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 23m23 minutes ago
@TexasRoundball all B12 ratings have suffered for this. Those fox sports channels need more exposure and time to grow.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 23m23 minutes ago
@TexasRoundball our bowl game in a bad time slot on a more established network drew over 3million viewers

@MH ver3 wvu bowl ratings were low as well comparatively speaking

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 18m18 minutes ago
@TexasRoundball our bowl ratings crushed Pitt/Navy in a better time slot, comparable to VT/NCSU/UNC all in better timeslots

Texas Roundball ‏@TexasRoundball 12m12 minutes ago
@MH ver3 stop, Pitt was on Monday afternoon at 2 against a poor draw navy. You played late Saturday against ARIZONA STATE!

Texas Roundball ‏@TexasRoundball 30m30 minutes ago
@MH ver3 false wvu was one of worst power 5 ratings

@MH ver3 2015 Big12 ratings

CcRAsjPUcAAkH77.jpg

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3
@TexasRoundball again B12 is helping get Fox sports networks off the ground. Not comparable to ESPN

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3
@TexasRoundball WVU was pulling down 3-4 million viewers regularly in the BigEast

Texas Roundball ‏@TexasRoundball 17m17 minutes ago
@MH ver3 lie. They've never even averaged 2 million per game

Storrs South ‏@gampel_2_msg 39m39 minutes ago
@MH ver3 do you think it's likely we see ACC break up sooner rather later later i.e. Enter B12 expansion

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3
@gampel_2_msg I think complete ACC implosion happens after B12 and B10 expand. B12 will add 2 first.4 if Clemson/FSU bite.

Storrs South ‏@gampel_2_msg 28m28 minutes ago
@MH ver3 you're previous prediction of ACC makeup down the line looking more likely everyday. Hoping youre right so UConn can get in B12 1st

Troy ‏@TroyJr_67 56m56 minutes ago
@MH ver3 wake to b12 pit to b10?

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3
@TroyJr_67 no and no.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3
I can see ACC leftovers merging with whatever the AAC looks like. Wake could even drop football down to FCS and join BigEast in The rest

Cardslyes ‏@cardslyes 25m25 minutes ago
@MH ver3 No offense. But are you and the Dude the same person? Like I said no offense but you guys sound a lot alike.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 20m20 minutes ago
@cardslyes nope. Although when someone copies everything I say I can see how you could see that.

Cardslyes ‏@cardslyes 10m10 minutes ago
@MH ver3 Ok well then you see where I'm coming from. Have a good day.

TigerJay ‏@jay_256 28m28 minutes ago
Wait a sec. How can UC and UCONN be Big 12 bound, yet BYU and ACC schools are also in play? Are they going to 20?

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3
@jay_256 @calluke1 I've explained this all before. b12 will likely end up with 16 total

Reaction Score
Philip Tortora ‏@PhilipTortora 59m59 minutes ago
@MH ver3 you have a lot of analysis on conference expansion possibilities. Which Power 5 league is most likely to expand next?

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver
@PhilipTortora B12. Followed by B10. Then SEC. Then B12 again.

Philip Tortora ‏@PhilipTortora 55m55 minutes ago
@MH ver3 You would think @bigten or @theACC would grab UConn sooner rather than later, especially with BC & Rutgers totally irrelevant.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 53m53 minutes ago
@PhilipTortora @bigten @theACC BC/Cuse/Pitt have blocked Uconn in ACC. B10 already has markets with RU and a cream puff to beat on

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 54m54 minutes ago
@PhilipTortora @bigten @theACC Uconn would challenge the bball powers of the B10 and might win a few fb games too. B10 wants a cream puff

Philip Tortora ‏@PhilipTortora 53m53 minutes ago
@MH ver3 @bigten @theACC Would challenge? UConn has more national titles since 1999 than the entire Big Ten. They're better than every team.

DocBunyan ‏@DocBunyan 31m31 minutes ago
@MH ver3 @PhilipTortora they also have more academic probations than the entire big ten. Congrats.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 21m21 minutes ago
@DocBunyan @PhilipTortora rules violations though-that's a whole different story. #OhioState #PennState

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3
@PhilipTortora @bigten @theACC Uconn would challenge the bball powers of the B10 and might win a few fb games too. B10 wants a cream puff

Murr ‏@MurrDCU 1h1 hour ago
@MH ver3 Do think OU will still stay in the B12 or move? Your best % guess?

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3
@MurrDCU 100% if we expand. 25% if we don't

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV Feb 25
Summary... Big 12 will explore adding P5 schools before adding BYU or any G5 schools.

Mostly 'lsi M ‏@ki676love 4h4 hours ago
@theDudeofWV Pac12 is out bc location & ideology & rest of P5 pay more & the uncertainty of B12 means nobody will leave their P5 for B12

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV
@ki676love A naysayer with incomplete analysis. Say ole wise one what would the B12 be with a network?

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 3h3 hours ago
@ki676love Because a network says stability with capital letters & the B12 already pays out more than ACC & P12 per school.

Reaction Score
Not a tweet, but a post by Winchester Buck on the Scout Ohio State forum:

02/17/2016

WinchesterBUCK: Was hinted to me that the B1G is showing projected total conference payouts near $50 million/year for members come 2017-18 to UVa, UNC, Duke, & GT. They are listening and realizing no ACCN is going to be created and instead ESPN has elected to 'save' the Big12. This would be over double what the ACC pays.

I believe the ACC is going to be picked apart by the B1G, then SEC, then remaining value entities will go to the Big12.

I'm not sure if the B1G would stay at 18 or try and move to 20. If only G5 and ACC schools being possible candidates, I personally would go after FSU and UConn. I know they are not AAU, but FSU offers huge athletics in a very populous state and they are working hard to improve their academic profile. I would not add them to the CIC until they achieve certain benchmarks. UConn is accomplished enough to be both AAU and in the CIC. They would help solidify NYC and get the B1G into the New England region.

I think the ND bridge has been burnt. ND is not like the other B1G schools. It's a small private school (huge fan base though) that sits in the B1G region with no grad research programs.

Win5002 :
Winchesterbuck,

Are you hearing this from actual people that may have knowledge or just internet rumors?

Also, How solid is your 50M number? Some are speculating the B1G is going to look at programming sold through the BTN because they didn't get the contract they wanted. Do you believe they are doing it out of strength and not waiting for a better contract later?

WinchesterBUCK

From my source.

Funneling through BTN is a real possibility and is thought to be able to maximize profit. $50 is due to this (this also include CFP, bowls, etc). I posted years ago that BTN may one day take the place of ESPN/Fox. As in cutting out the middle man and the B1G keeps all the profits instead of splitting with networks. Content is king and the B1G has a network that can distribute the content to its customers.

Reaction Score
I would think that the BTN cutting out the middle man would make ESPN very hungry for content. Supply-demand would benefit ESPN televised conferences.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I would think that the BTN cutting out the middle man would make ESPN very hungry for content. Supply-demand would benefit ESPN televised conferences.

Cutting out the middle isn't exactly accurate. It's more like the BTN becomes the middle man selling games off to other networks. ESPN can buy what they need and use as they see fit.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Cutting out the middle isn't exactly accurate. It's more like the BTN becomes the middle man selling games off to other networks. ESPN can buy what they need and use as they see fit.
Which is ironically the reverse of the AAC situation. ESPN owns the content and sells off what it doesn't want.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Which is ironically the reverse of the AAC situation. ESPN owns the content and sells off what it doesn't want.

It is, but they have such a low price with AAC content they can afford to show only what they want. Whomever negotiated that contract looks like they did so out of fear.

dayooper

Reaction Score
This is all from OSU's scout forum thread on CR. I put it in the Non-Key thread because that's what I think it is. He is supposedly a guy with contacts somehow in the know.

winchester buck on Jan 19 said:
Only Texas school the B1G would entertain is UT. Others have no shot.

UVA and UNC (or GT as a backup for UNC) was top priority. OU and KU is picking up steam. KU would jump yesterday. OU is dancing.

The B1G, SEC, & PAC would like to get this to four P5's. Four P5's = more playoff, bowl, and network money (1 competitor eliminated).

We are watching a war of attrition right now.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=145&f=3154&t=13968692&p=27

winchester buck on Jan 27 said:
After finishing my meeting today with my tOSU contact (when I called to set up the appt he told me about OU & KU), it appears the B1G is also talking with UVA, UNC, GT, and Duke. The Duke communication really surprised us.

No idea if the B1G is looking to add 2, 4, or 6. Not even sure who their main targets are at this point. But there is a lot of talk behind the scenes. The timing of this is due to the B1G network contract expiring. No ACCN or Big12N is making many of those schools jealous and wanting to look around.

Rumors that FSU have reached out to Big12 could be true. B1G has not reached out to them so I can easily see them preparing an escape route from the ACC.

As I've said for years now, Fox has given the B1G their proposal for exclusive rights to B1G football and basketball games (tier 1 & 2). No idea what the money is being tossed around, but I would have to think it would be massive to pull entirely away from Disney.

We also don't believe the rumors that ND would go B1G if the B1G poached those 4 ACC schools. I don't believe ND could get the votes for entry into the B1G. Lots of animosity with B1G Presidents. They always come back to they don't need ND now and ND is not a research institution. Who knows.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=145&f=3154&t=13968692&p=28

winchester buck on Feb 17 said:
Was hinted to me that the B1G is showing projected total conference payouts near $50 million/year for members come 2017-18 to UVa, UNC, Duke, & GT. They are listening and realizing no ACCN is going to be created and instead ESPN has elected to 'save' the Big12. This would be over double what the ACC pays.

I believe the ACC is going to be picked apart by the B1G, then SEC, then remaining value entities will go to the Big12.

I'm not sure if the B1G would stay at 18 or try and move to 20. If only G5 and ACC schools being possible candidates, I personally would go after FSU and UConn. I know they are not AAU, but FSU offers huge athletics in a very populous state and they are working hard to improve their academic profile. I would not add them to the CIC until they achieve certain benchmarks. UConn is accomplished enough to be both AAU and in the CIC. They would help solidify NYC and get the B1G into the New England region.

I think the ND bridge has been burnt. ND is not like the other B1G schools. It's a small private school (huge fan base though) that sits in the B1G region with no grad research programs.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=145&f=3154&t=13968692&p=35

If (and that's a big if that I'm not buying) the ACC is in the crosshairs of ESPN, it might be easier to to find homes for the majority of the schools. I can see, at most three schools that would have a hard time finding a home: Wake Forest, BC and Syracuse.

Big10: UNC, Duke, UVA and GT to get to 18 with two of FSU, UConn and ND to get to 20

SEC: VT and NCST to get to 16

Big12: Clemson, Pitt, Louisville, Miami and Cinci to get to 15 with, depending on what the Big10 does, either UConn, FSU, ND or Syracuse to get to 16.

ESPN would only have three states (Texas, Kentucky and Florida) where the SECN and Big12 network would be competing.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Content owners are smartening up.
If Fox is 51% owner of B10 network now, is the conference going to buy them out? Who is paying for all the hardware and personnel that actually broadcasts the content? I doubt the conference put up the $ to get it off the ground.

Reaction Score
If Fox is 51% owner of B10 network now, is the conference going to buy them out? Who is paying for all the hardware and personnel that actually broadcasts the content? I doubt the conference put up the $ to get it off the ground.

I think they still have a partner, but the BTN charges for streaming, with the profits obviously going to all investors.

Reaction Score
This is all from OSU's scout forum thread on CR. I put it in the Non-Key thread because that's what I think it is. He is supposedly a guy with contacts somehow in the know.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=145&f=3154&t=13968692&p=27

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=145&f=3154&t=13968692&p=28

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=145&f=3154&t=13968692&p=35

If (and that's a big if that I'm not buying) the ACC is in the crosshairs of ESPN, it might be easier to to find homes for the majority of the schools. I can see, at most three schools that would have a hard time finding a home: Wake Forest, BC and Syracuse.

Big10: UNC, Duke, UVA and GT to get to 18 with two of FSU, UConn and ND to get to 20

SEC: VT and NCST to get to 16

Big12: Clemson, Pitt, Louisville, Miami and Cinci to get to 15 with, depending on what the Big10 does, either UConn, FSU, ND or Syracuse to get to 16.

ESPN would only have three states (Texas, Kentucky and Florida) where the SECN and Big12 network would be competing.

I could see something like this happening. I think the B1G would take UNC, UVA, Duke, and GT for sure. I think that the SEC would take VT and NC St. and possibly FSU to keep the B1G or B12 out of FL. I'm assuming UCONN and Cincy already being B12, and I see Clemson, Pitt, UL, and Miami joining as part of the ACC dissolution. That leaves Cuse, BC, WF, and ND holding the ACC bag and ready to be further divvied up amongst the B12, B1G, and SEC.

Reaction Score
I bet a lot of lawsuits will be flying if current P5 members get reduced to G5.
Those boys know where the bones are buried and won't go down without a fight.

Reaction Score
So in summary, its a race between the ACC and the XII to get a network in place first. The network that fails to do so, is torn apart. Except for the PAC due to geography issues, I would expect the ultimate goal is 20 teams as 18 is harder to schedule in a pod format. If the B1G, SEC and ACC/XII stay at 16, some schools maybe left out, which 1) would be leave money on the table and 2) may drag DC into the fray if certain schools, especially state schools, are left out.

As for UConn, I think it is in our best interest to hope the ACC survives and the XII folds simply because the ACC offers more schools of potential interest to the B1G than the XII.
  • ACC: 1) UVA, 2) V Tech, 3) UNC, 4) Duke, 5) G Tech, 6) FSU, 7) ND
  • XII: 1) Kansas, 2) Oklahoma, 3) Texas

Reaction Score
These twitter boys are like the young untrained gun dog I once had...as my friend wryly commented...

"A pointer ain't supposed to run through the covey".

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I bet a lot of lawsuits will be flying if current P5 members get reduced to G5.
Those boys know where the bones are buried and won't go down without a fight.

Lawsuits did not do us any favors when we were reduced from a BCS conference to G5 purgatory.

Reaction Score
Who is paying for all the hardware and personnel that actually broadcasts the content? I doubt the conference put up the $ to get it off the ground.
The B1G absolutely fronted these costs.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
It is, but they have such a low price with AAC content they can afford to show only what they want. Whomever negotiated that contract looks like they did so out of fear.
It wasn't really negotiated, per se. One of ESPN's competitors low-balled the AAC and ESPN just had to match it to secure the contract. Easy money for them. Unfortunately, the BE contract terms did not allow for a counter. The only major benefit to the contract was the requirement to get games on real TV instead of internet-only broadcasts. The idea was that as bad as it was, it allowed for the AAC to go to the open market in 6 years without the negotiation restrictions. Hopefully it will be inconsequential to us by then.

Reaction Score
The B1G absolutely fronted these costs.

Correct. Alvarez once said that expansion schools would have to buy in to BTN since member schools diverted a lot of earnings (i.e. provided content for free) into the startup.

So, Fox probably loaned a substantial amount of the startup cost, but the schools were definitely on the hook.

Reaction Score
Lawsuits did not do us any favors when we were reduced from a BCS conference to G5 purgatory.

I know lawsuit is a buzz word here.
I think these schools that are being talked about going from the P5 to the G5 have info that could be damning to ther conferences or ESPN because they where a part of it.

No lawyer here so legit question. If it was true that ESPN was playing puppet master like BC suggested would that be grounds for sometype of lawsuit?

Reaction Score
I know lawsuit is a buzz word here.
I think these schools that are being talked about going from the P5 to the G5 have info that could be damning to ther conferences or ESPN because they where a part of it.

No lawyer here so legit question. If it was true that ESPN was playing puppet master like BC suggested would that be grounds for sometype of lawsuit?

Best I've gathered over the years is that ESPN can't be the puppet master they've been out to be due to likely clauses in conference contracts that say that ESPN generally has to act in the best interest of said conference.

That may be fairly vague, but there's nothing vague about having a hand in events that lead to a massive reduction in earnings, or the eventual collapse of a conference, in favor of another conference that also has contracts with ESPN.

And violation of said contract would be...

Tortious interference: a common law tort allowing a claim for damages against a defendant who wrongfully interferes with the plaintiff's contractual or business relationships.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Best I've gathered over the years is that ESPN can't be the puppet master they've been out to be due to likely clauses in conference contracts that say that ESPN generally has to act in the best interest of said conference.

That may be fairly vague, but there's nothing vague about having a hand in events that lead to a massive reduction in earnings, or the eventual collapse of a conference, in favor of another conference that also has contracts with ESPN.

Tortious interference: a common law tort allowing a claim for damages against a defendant who wrongfully interferes with the plaintiff's contractual or business relationships.

Thanks Seaa

I just don't see any p5 just being ok with being demoted from 20-50 million to the AAC 2 million without a fight. Particularly if you feel there is no way to get back up there( I think UConn feels they do have a chance)

Just a thought

Reaction Score

I hope you're not a lawyer because you are 100% wrong. Tortious interference is where a party to a contract with a second party sues a third party, who is not in contractual privity with the first party, for interfering with a contract the first party has with the second party.

If ESPN actually signed a contract so vague as to promise it would "act in the best interests of a conference" -- which I heavily doubt because such contractual clauses are very rare precisely because of the vagueness -- they would simply be sued for breach of contract.

But hey -- you probably stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom