Non-Key Tweets | Page 441 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
I would think you guys would welcome BC to the BIG.

1. ND and BC to the BIG
2. The ACC powers once again choose tradition over payday and stick together. I'm just not buying the ACC collapse. UNC, UVA and GT knew 2 years ago that the BIG might double the ACC money but still declined invitations. All this Twitter talk reaks of a desperate B12 trying to fluster FSU and Clemson in a longshot attempt at a more prestigious 11 and 12. Not buying it.
3. Bact to ND and BC to the BIG, ACC backfills BC's spot with UConn.

It's a route to a P5 for you.

If the BIG was going to take an ACC team why would they target BC? If mean if a GOR battle is going to be waged then wouldn't the BIG want a UNC or a UVa. ND is a strange situation, they may be contractually bound to the ACC but the ACC does not own their GOR. BC is a completely different situation.

The argument that the ACC knew it was financially a loser and choose to stick together is very flawed. Even as recently as 2 years ago there was still some question as to whether the network model or the direct media sales model was the better option. Today it is abundantly clear the network is the big winner. There is a big difference between "might" double and actually witnessing the doubling.

If conference realignment has taught one thing it is that schools will work in their own best interest. Tradition does not pay the bills.

As for the idea that UConn fans would welcome joining another failing P5 conference while BC joins the arguably most stable conference in America...well, that is just plain silly. If BC was leaving the ACC that would indicate the ACC is faltering...why would we want to go there ahead of the BIG.

Reaction Score
MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 2h2 hours ago
There are rumors of KU and OU having an open invitation to join the B10. I can't speak for KU but I can tell you OU does not

My source is 90% certain KU doesn't either and ESPN contact has told B12 that B10 is actively courting UNC/UVA/Duke for certain.

And B10 also has sights on GT/ND/BC.

B.J. Boyce ‏@gq2scoops 2h2 hours ago
@MH ver3 Is there a limit to how many schools the B10 would have? Seems like they'd be pushing 20 with all of these

MH ver3‏@MH ver3 2h2 hours ago
@gq2scoops ESPN thinks 20 is their endgame.

@gq2scoops ESPN also doesn't believe they will be able to afford B10 except on a game by game basis purchased directly from BTN

@gq2scoops fox/NBC will probably end up with majority of B10 content.

@MH ver3 Would this be the end of Notre Dame as an independent then?

@gq2scoops yes but ND has seen the handwriting on the wall for sometime. B10 with BC would be their preferred choice.

@MH ver3 What's the timetable for all of this chaos to start up again?

@gq2scoops late May early June for the first dominos. They will not be huge shockers. The real fun starts later in the summer with B10.

@MH ver3 So the UC/UCONN to B12 domino falls first, then the B10 invades the ACC like its nobody's business? Then full blown chaos ensues?

@gq2scoops that is what it is currently trending towards.

@gq2scoops ACC schools will not be able to resist more than doubling their TV money and being part of the CIC.

Murr ‏@MurrDCU 2h2 hours ago
@MH ver3 @gq2scoops do you think GT and UVA will be the first two ACC schools to move?

@MurrDCU @gq2scoops no. It's looking like UVA/UNC with Duke GT next.

Ian Salmela ‏@Ian_Salmela 2h2 hours ago
@ er3 Why is B10 trying to get so big? Do you think all power conferences go to 16 schools? PAC12 and B12 a little behind if so

@Ian_Salmela ESPN doesn't want sec bigger than 16 to keep rivalries

@MH ver3 @Ian_Salmela is SEC interested in getting bigger than 16?

@MurrDCU @Ian_Salmela sec will listen to ESPN but unthinkably he answer here is no. They want to keep as many rivalries intact too

@MH ver3 @Ian_Salmela would SEC grab VT and NC State or look for any B12 pieces?

@MurrDCU @Ian_Salmela but if UT sh its on B12 expansion then there is a possible scenario there.

MH v er3 ‏@MH ve r3 2h2 hours ago
@MurrDCU @Ian_Salmela ESPN wants SEC/B12 to be their premiere leagues and are promoting an armistice between the two.

Ian Salmela ‏@Ian_Salmela 2h2 hours ago
@MH ver3 @MurrDCU ESPN wants them, or are more stuck with them?

@Ian_Salmela @MurrDCU a little bit of both where B12 is concerned.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 3h3 hours ago
@Ian_Salmela B12 will probably stop at 16 if B10 raids ACC.

Ian Salmela ‏@Ian_Salmela 3h3 hours ago
@MH ver3 Okay, any insight on PAC12 further expansion to 16? Any chance any MWC schools are being looked at by power conferences?

MH ver3‏@MH ver3 3h3 hours ago
@Ian_Salmela unfortunately I have very little insight to PAC

Ian Salmela ‏@Ian_Salmela 3h3 hours ago
@MH ver3 I feel like no one does. Or at least they're happy with their relaxing lifestyle on the west coast

TheFrogCast ‏@TheFrogCastTCU 21m21 minutes ago
@MH ver3 @Ian_Salmela P12 will always have solid standing bc of location and recruits, but never a breakout league. High floor, low ceiling.

Hawkeye ‏@hawkeyeND 3h3 hours ago
@MH ver3 ND is contractually obligated to join the ACC if it joins a conference as part of their agreement

@hawkeyeND yup. As long as ACC is a viable conference. Which is why ND will be the last addition the B10 makes.

@hawkeyeND fwiw ND was also contractually obligated to play 4 BigEast teams in fb per year which they did not do.

JF ‏@lwillfollow 3h3 hours ago
@MH ver3 BC....that's a good one. I thought you were serious until I said BC.

@lwillfollow BC is big money market for BTN like Rutgers. It also helps with ND.

DocBunyan ‏@DocBunyan 2h2 hours ago
@MH ver3 @lwillfollow 50¢ and BC is worth a cup of coffee. Even with ND, won't happen. ND forced back to big east.

BackInStorrs ‏@BackInStorrs 3h3 hours ago
@MH ver3 And how are they going to break the GOR?

@BackInStorrs GOR is invalid because ACCN was not created by the deadline.

BackInStorrs ‏@BackInStorrs 2h2 hours ago
@MH ver3 I love you WVU fans, always praying for the demise of the ACC. Do you have facts on that statement?

I know that this is not exactly a news flash, but he has little clue about what ND wants or has decided. (Yeah, I know...I could have stopped at the word "clue").

Reaction Score
Yeah, somehow BC is unacceptable to a conference that has Purdue, Minnesota, Northwestern, Illinois and now Rutgers. ;)

And that is the difference between the ACC and the B1G. The B1G focuses on large, flagship universities that generate a lot of money from athletics and academic. No one is sure what metrics the ACC uses to add new members. Northwestern is the exception in the B1G; but, it is a massive, AAU research university, which BC is not, and are a founding member of the B1G in 1896 (there is a greater chance that the ACC kicks out Duke than the B1G kicking out Northwestern).

Reaction Score
Why BC? Why not Boston U and Notre Dame?

AAU
My favorite mascot
Both schools are "projects" athletically

• BU is a Significantly Larger School: (32,112 vs. 14,317 Total Students)
  • Boston is Slightly More Difficult to Get In: (33.9% vs. 34.5% Acceptance Rate)
  • BU Offers Slightly Cheaper Tuition: ($46,664 vs. $47,436 Tuition)
  • BU Provides Slightly Better Freshmen Financial Aid: (59% vs. 55% of Eligible Freshmen Receive Aid)
  • Boston Students Graduate More in 6 Years: (92% vs. 84% Graduation Rate)
  • Boston Students Earn Slightly More Salary Post-Graduation: ($50,000 vs. $48,000 Median Salary)
  • BU Has Slightly Smaller Class Sizes: (13:1 vs. 15:1 Student-Teacher Ratio)
Rank Source (BC)
#30 U.S. News
#401 Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU)
#37 Forbes
#19 Lumosity
Rank Source (BU)
#41 U.S. News
#73 Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU)
#91 Forbes
#28 Lumosity
Plleeeeeeassssse please please don't call us "Boston" - we hate it :) But appreciate the facts!

pj

Reaction Score
On B1G metrics BC loses on every parameter compared to UConn. State flagship, market size (UConn draws as much in NYC as BC does in Boston; UConn is centrally located in the NY-New England region where the B1G lacks a presence), research-level academics, athletic success and facilities, fanbase. BC is a nice undergraduate college in a major city. It got lucky to get into the ACC where the other schools are now subsidizing it.

The idea that Notre Dame will compromise its own interests to negotiate on behalf of BC for a move from ACC to B1G (in place of, e.g., improving its own situation by reducing the length and amount of the buy-in) when the ACC is a great fit for BC, flies in the face of both Notre Dame's history and common sense.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So much potential with your first couple of posts, but your true colors are showing.

Take a look at the Big10 schools, see who they are, look at their student populations and alumni. Then tell me it doesn't matter. Guess who was the most watched football conference on TV in 2015? The Big10 and their large flagships. Who make the best fans? Alumni, of course.

I agree that BC would get the BTN on Boston right now. But what happens when the bundles go away? Would BC and their tiny 171,000 alumni be able to carry the torch? Rutgers has 470,000. My guess is that there are more of those 470,000 watching Rutgers games than Boston College's 171,000. Now throw in the size differences of the schools (BC has 14,100 students while Rutgers has 68,000) and the pool that will watch the games is much increased.

Large flagships are important to the Big10. It's one of the reasons why they are one of the two most valuable conferences out there. In case you haven't noticed, the other very valuable conference is a group of 13 large state schools with one private school as well.

The BTN is already on in Boston. It's on my normal package on Fios. BC to the Big Ten is absurd.

Reaction Score
On B1G metrics BC loses on every parameter compared to UConn. State flagship, market size (UConn draws as much in NYC as BC does in Boston; UConn is centrally located in the NY-New England region where the B1G lacks a presence), research-level academics, athletic success and facilities, fanbase. BC is a nice undergraduate college in a major city. It got lucky to get into the ACC where the other schools are now subsidizing it.

The idea that Notre Dame will compromise its own interests to negotiate on behalf of BC for a move from ACC to B1G (in place of, e.g., improving its own situation by reducing the length and amount of the buy-in) when the ACC is a great fit for BC, flies in the face of both Notre Dame's history and common sense.

This is pure homerism.

Your BIG Metrics that BC "loses" to UConn on:
- State Flagship: no evidence this is a metric. Again, Northwestern, MSU, Purdue and ND in this example. Theoretical advantage to UConn.
- Market Size: UConn barely adds anything to NYC when compared to what BIG already has with Rutgers, UM, OSU, Penn State (and theoretically ND). UConn adds an extra 2% compared to what BIG already has in NYC. It's redundant. UConn only really "adds" CT. BC definitely adds Boston, likely adds all of Massachusetts, and possibly adds NH, VT, ME and RI to automatic BTN carriage. Clear advantage to BC.
- Geographic Presence: 100% wrong. If the BIG adds UConn they would be adding 1 of the 2 New England P5 teams. That's a split of New England. If the BIG adds BC -- and UConn gets passed over by the ACC, which is very possible -- the BIG adds ALL OF NEW ENGLAND. They would be the only major college football team in New England. Clear advantage to BC.
- Athletic Success: BC wins football and hockey. UConn wins basketball. The other sports are a wash. Advantage to BC.
- Facilities: BC just pledged $200 million to facilities. If this really became a debate you'd see BC pump out renderings and make unequivocal BC's committment to athletics at the highest level. Also, BC with facilities on campus...in the city of Boston, where all of the other BIG schools have large alumni networks that would love to go to games more often. Advantage BC.
- Fanbase: I don't know what you're basing this on. In football BC (outside of really rare and random 2-win seasons) draws more fans to football games, draws better TV ratings, and commands more national attention. You have basketball. I guess you can hope they care about basketball fanbase. Advantage BC.

BC is not "a nice undergraduate college in a major city." Boston College is an elite university and a nationwide brand name.

As for Notre Dame, conference politics is a very real consideration. It's not unreasonable that if an independent minded and proud university like Notre Dame was to join the BIG they wouldn't want to be the odd-ball small, private, Catholic school that gets bullied on conference issues. It's not unreasonable that they would insist on a like-minded partner institution to increase their clout in their new home.

Just my $0.02.

Reaction Score
This is pure homerism.

- State Flagship: no evidence this is a metric. Again, Northwestern, MSU, Purdue and ND in this example. Theoretical advantage to UConn.
- Market Size: UConn barely adds anything to NYC when compared to what BIG already has with Rutgers, UM, OSU, Penn State (and theoretically ND). UConn adds an extra 2% compared to what BIG already has in NYC. It's redundant. UConn only really "adds" CT. BC definitely adds Boston, likely adds all of Massachusetts, and possibly adds NH, VT, ME and RI to automatic BTN carriage. Clear advantage to BC.
- Geographic Presence: 100% wrong. If the BIG adds UConn they would be adding 1 of the 2 New England P5 teams. That's a split of New England. If the BIG adds BC -- and UConn gets passed over by the ACC, which is very possible -- the BIG adds ALL OF NEW ENGLAND. They would be the only major college football team in New England. Clear advantage to BC.
- Athletic Success: BC wins football and hockey. UConn wins basketball. The other sports are a wash. Advantage to BC.
- Facilities: BC just pledged $200 million to facilities. If this really became a debate you'd see BC pump out renderings and make unequivocal BC's committment to athletics at the highest level. Also, BC with facilities on campus...in the city of Boston, where all of the other BIG schools have large alumni networks that would love to go to games more often. Advantage BC.
- Fanbase: I don't know what you're basing this on. In football BC (outside of really rare and random 2-win seasons) draws more fans to football games, draws better TV ratings, and commands more national attention. You have basketball. I guess you can hope they care about basketball fanbase. Advantage BC.

BC is not "a nice undergraduate college in a major city." Boston College is an elite university and a nationwide brand name.

As for Notre Dame, conference politics is a very real consideration. It's not unreasonable that if an independent minded and proud university like Notre Dame was to join the BIG they wouldn't want to be the odd-ball small, private, Catholic school that gets bullied on conference issues. It's not unreasonable that they would insist on a like-minded partner institution to increase their clout in their new home.

Just my $0.02.
If BC (who hasn't won a conference game in a major sport in more than a calendar year) effectively gets a promotion to the Big 10, it will just highlight the extent to which everyone has lost their mind.

BC sucks ass. It doesn't matter what conference you're in if you're just gonna lose every single game for years on end. UConn fans want an invite to elevate our level of competition and to have games against more exciting opponents. The money is a nice bonus but it's just that, a bonus.

The B1G made its play for a market addition with no athletic presence to speak of, and they went with Rutgers. Adding one crap program doesn't dilute the competition too much, but I don't see them adding another one.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV Protected Tweets 3h3 hours ago
A raid of the ACC is not imminent.

KilroyFSU ‏@KilroyFSU 3h3 hours ago
@theDudeofWV Doubt anybody really wants to test the validity of the GoR in court, tbh.

Christopher Lambert‏@theDudeofWV Protected Tweets 3h3 hours ago
@KilroyFSU that and I don't think UVA is interested in moving. I really don't.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV Protected Tweets 2h2 hours ago
GoR are complicated legal instruments that are really simple in affect. The ACC has a GoR. 1/3

I have questions about FSU's signature on the GoR. The process the ACC used to secure FSU may have been illegal. 2/3

But FSU seems to be the only ACC member who has any hope of challenging the GoR in court. 3/3

As far as I know FSU will not challenge the GoR. They would listen to what the B12 has to say if a B12N is a certainty.

Talk is the cheapest commodity in sports. Listening guarantees nothing. Nor should anyone jump to any conclusion.

This is just my opinion but FSU is the key to ACC stability. All of the other schools would be perfectly happy to camp in the ACC.

Reaction Score
This is pure homerism.

Just my $0.02.

In this science fiction world where the B1G would consider adding another dumpster fire athletic program with no fans, there is a 0 percent chance the ACC passes on UConn again. They've learned their lesson, and they'd be thanking their lucky stars to replace BC with UConn.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV Protected Tweets 3h3 hours ago
A raid of the ACC is not imminent.

KilroyFSU ‏@KilroyFSU 3h3 hours ago
@theDudeofWV Doubt anybody really wants to test the validity of the GoR in court, tbh.

Christopher Lambert‏@theDudeofWV Protected Tweets 3h3 hours ago
@KilroyFSU that and I don't think UVA is interested in moving. I really don't.

GoR are complicated legal instruments that are really simple in affect. The ACC has a GoR. 1/3

I have questions about FSU's signature on the GoR. The process the ACC used to secure FSU may have been illegal. 2/3

But FSU seems to be the only ACC member who has any hope of challenging the GoR in court. 3/3

As far as I know FSU will not challenge the GoR. They would listen to what the B12 has to say if a B12N is a certainty.

Talk is the cheapest commodity in sports. Listening guarantees nothing. Nor should anyone jump to any conclusion.

This is just my opinion but FSU is the key to ACC stability. All of the other schools would be perfectly happy to camp in the ACC.

Odd. Must be back on his meds.

Reaction Score
This is pure homerism.

Just my $0.02.

Am I and most of the board here a fan of UConn? Yes. Do most UConn fans have major issues with BC with respect to how DeFilippo & co. treated your conference partner of 20 some odd years? Yes. Does that make us act as 'homers,' which from you is the the pot calling the kettle black, yes and proud of it. That said, at UConn fans will at least consider some of the facts unlike BC fans who still plant their flag on Doug Flutie's in 1984 and BC's two losses in the ACC championship championship game in '07 & '08 as somehow equaling football 'greatness' while UConn's loss in the BCS First Bowl in '11 as meaningless.

Now, for some of your points...

Flagship - I have said it before, Flagship is huge when it comes to potential sports and academic revenue and the B1G's moves have clearly highlighted this fact especially on today's TV network environment. It was not an issue when the B1G first formed in 1896, which is when Northwestern and Purdue helped create the conference. Michigan St joined much later in 1950, back when there were only 3 TV networks; but, I think most can agree that they are as close to being flagship status as one can get similar to Texas A&M, Florida St, and UCLA (Cal is actually the California flagship). Since adding Michigan State in 1950, the next 4 schools added to the B1G have all been flagships - Penn St in '90, Nebraska in '11, and Maryland and Rutgers in '14. And as noted before, the B1G is seen as a lock to be a P4 conference, the ACC and its two flagships are not.

Market - I'll give you that BC has a strong presence in RI, NH and ME, somewhat even stronger that within I-495 itself because of the number of transplants Boston draws in. So, that gives BC control of the 52nd largest market in Providence, 77th largest market in Portland ME, and 93rd in Burlington VT while Manchester NH is part of the Boston market. UConn owns the Hartford/New Haven market, which is the 30th largest in the US. Oh, by the way, BC does not own all of Mass. Western Mass has UMass and UConn also has a strong presence due to the natural link between Springfield and Hartford. As for NYC, Long Island, downstate NY (Westchester, Putnam, Rockland, etc. counties), Fairfield County, NYC proper and North Jersey each have about 20% of the TV market. Rutgers is the lead team in North Jersey and that is it. That is why if the B1G or any other conference wants to control NYC, it will need more than 1 team. And UConn has a presence there, just watch clips from UConn's run in the NCAA games at MSG in '14. Also, if UConn has no presence in NYC and Boston, then how come they are usually included in the local 6 PM news broadcast in both cities as I saw them last night on ABC 7 last night and few weeks back, a friend who lives along I-495 noted that they were on ABC 5 in Boston? Lastly, I agree that ND si a sepertae animal.

Success - See above, UConn owns basketball while we can debate as noted above if UConn's BCS game has equal or less wight that Doug Flutie and BC's two ACC championship games until the end of time.

Facilities - UConn has a basketball and indoor football practice facilities. BC has proposed an indoor football practice facility. There is a big difference between having an existing facility than proposing a facility that does not have funding nor has it been approved by the powers that be in Boston and Newton yet (good luck with that by the way). Oh, UConn did not seem to have a problem drawing in Michigan alumni for their home game at the Rent a few years back while BC had to play an away game at Fenway against ND. Clear advantage - UConn.

Finally, Boston is a great college city, much better than Storrs; but, that does mean that BC has to share the spotlight with the Red Sox, Pats, Celtics, Bruins, etc. BC is also a very good university and has a national brand, just like UConn does. But, does BC fit with the B1G? Note sure. For example, every B1G member has a medical school (Indiana/Purdue own a joint school whereas Michigan St just opened one a few years back) and BC does not. Also, many of the B1G schools are solid in engineering, i.e. the 'E' in STEM. BC does not and in fact resemble more of an elite liberal arts school. That's a big issue when it comes to research dollars, something that the B1G cares about.

Reaction Score
Only you speak for Notre Dame.

This is officially the worst thread in Internet history.

No, I don't. I only speak for me.

But, he doesn't know anything more than you, I or anyone else.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Wait a second. Our BCU friend says they have an advantage in athletic success, facilities and fanbase?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahsbahahjahahshsjsjjrkskjdjrlsnskdkkrkehznsm

Edit: just did a quick search. For their better record of "athletic success," BCU has a grand total of 5 national titles, all of them in men's hockey. A sport in which, what, 40 teams compete? Bravo. We have 21 national titles for those curious.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wait a second. Our BCU friend says they have an advantage in athletic success, facilities and fanbase?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahsbahahjahahshsjsjjrkskjdjrlsnskdkkrkehznsm
The ONLY facility they have on us right now is ice hockey and that will disappear when Freitas is renovated!

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The ONLY facility they have on us right now is ice hockey and that will disappear when Freitas is renovated!

You mean their indoor football practice facil... Whoops. Sorry, I meant their basketball practice facil...

Oh that's right, Florida State just financed that for them.

Reaction Score
You mean their indoor football practice facil... Whoops. Sorry, I meant their basketball practice facil...

Oh that's right, Florida State just financed that for them.
Exactly......By the time they get their football facility done...UConn will have renovated Burton/Schenkman. They have become the Seton Hall, DePaul of the ACC. Sucking the life blood from the schools that actually earn the ACC the $$.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is pure homerism.

Just my $0.02.
Lol, So BC has yet have any kind of presence in New England in the marquis sports, but it will, magically apparently, if it goes to the B1G? Um, sure. I guess that explains your attendance. It mean if you are New England's program, surely your basketball games and football games must be selling out, right?

The whole flagship/land grant thing has been repeated so often by conference and university presidents that it is kind of silly to say, "well that doesn't really matter." But I get that you are just trolling.

Hey BC looked after it's own interests, underhandedly, but what the heck it got you in the P5. Enjoy that. But you've stopped being relevant. So if the ACC folds or is dramatically weakened by defections, either of which is a possibility if the Big 12 gets a conference network, realize that you had a nice run while it lasted. By any reasonable standard, you aren't an attractive conference addition. It is what it is.

Reaction Score
This is pure homerism.

Just my $0.02.

My $0.02...The B1G would add Buffalo (read New York State) before they would add BC...large public flagship (as much as NY has), AAU, solid academics (ranked 41st on the Business First's rankings posted on the BY last week). But that’s not happening any time soon either IMO.

fieldturf_2014.jpg

Last edited:

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
This is pure homerism.

Just my $0.02.

I've got a few problems with your assessment
1) State flagship does matter. Flagships pump out the most research and get the most $ in grants, have med schools, large student bases, and storied history. BC has the history academically and athletically, but doesn't have nearly the same level of research as UConn or a medical school. Sure, there are hugely successful athletic programs that you mentioned who defy the criteria, but they're an aberration.
2) Football attendance, if adjusted to consider who you guys play on a weekly basis compared to us, is objectively embarrassing--any logical BC fan is willing to admit that. BC is known for having a lukewarm fan base. TV ratings are also obviously associated with conference affiliation and opponent--of course your TV ratings will trump ours when we've got a 12:00 slot on CBS Sports against UCF and you're playing FSU on a Friday night. On an equal playing field, it's hard to believe that BC would garner more interest on television over UConn. Also, your assertion that people in northern New England states give a **** about BC sports, or even people in Boston for that matter, is just as absurd as our argument that we're NYC's team (as a UConn fan, no one in NYC cares about us--I'll definitely concede that). BC's market is undoubtedly an advantage over UConn's, and if it were an advantage, it would be marginal. Our student and alumni base is much larger and we have the advantage of being the premier athletic program in our state, whereas you guys are behind a multitude of professional teams and are home to folks who are attending literally hundreds of colleges within Boston, thus not caring about BC athletics.
3) You mention that BC football is better than UConn, UConn basketball is better than BC, and BC is better in olympic sports (not sure where you derive that from). Let's look at this holistically. By what margin is BC football better than UConn? You can point to Doug Flutie and the Orange Bowl all you want, but BC's history as a football team is pretty pedestrian apart from Flutie and Matt Ryan. UConn is no football powerhouse--I'm not arguing that. However, your advantage there is marginal and rooted mostly in the fact that your program has the benefit of having competed at the FBS level for longer than we have. As for basketball, the advantage is clearly anything but marginal. Your basketball team is one of the worst p5 programs in decades and shows no signs of improving any time soon. We, on the other hand, are one of the ten best basketball programs in the country, and are obviously the best women's program. As for olympic sports, I won't pretend to know anything about BC's programs, but we've had a heck of a run in baseball developing MLB talent, have a great soccer team and field hockey is dominant. So, again, if we look at things holistically, rather than you being like, "oh, well we've got the advantage in 2 of 3 categories so advantage BC!" it's smarter to consider how wide the discrepancy is between the programs in each sport, something that you purposefully ignore in order to avoid having to confront how a power conference will be so insane as to willingly take on such a poor basketball program whose other athletic programs (aside from hockey) offer nothing of any exceptional value

Reaction Score
What? The only program in the B1G that is not a public flagship is Northwestern?

No Sir...Michigan State is not a Flagship, nor is Purdue....

Michigan State is the "original" land-grant university, and it's huge. IU and Purdue jointly operate several campuses, and collectively, they're very huge.

p.s. Please "like" this post and get me off of "666".

Reaction Score
  1. Also would leave open option of scheduling a 10th "non-conference game" with a conference mate not on your schedule that year a la ACC

0 retweets0 likes

2. MHver3 ‏@MHver3 1h1 hour ago
    OU would basically get UT and OKst every year. And WVU would basically get UC and Uconn. Not sure on the others

2 retweets1 like

3. MHver3 ‏@MHver3 1h1 hour ago
    Zipper divisions would include-per school-1 permanent cross divisional rivalry and 1 "semi-permanent"

0 retweets0 likes

4. MHver3 ‏@MHver3 1h1 hour ago
    Rumor is that UT wants in the same division as OU to only play once a year but maximum $$ is in separate divisions.

0 retweets0 likes

5. MHver3 ‏@MHver3 1h1 hour ago
    If four ACC additions happen later then they would readdress divisions. That's the proposal anyway.
    1. They want 9 conference games so you'd play as many conf schools as possible in a season.

1 retweet2 likes

2. MHver3 ‏@MHver3 2h2 hours ago
      Possibility of OU/UT CCG matchup is most attractive for maximum $$

0 retweets2 likes

3. MHver3 ‏@MHver3 2h2 hours ago
      UT, TT, KU, WVU, Baylor, and OKst in one and OU, Cincy, Kst, ISU, TCU, Uconn in the other.

3 retweets4 likes

4. MHver3 ‏@MHver3 2h2 hours ago
      OU is proposing "zipper" divisions for a 12 team B12.

0 retweets1 like

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom