Non-Key Tweets | Page 440 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I hope you're not a lawyer because you are 100% wrong. Tortious interference is where a party to a contract with a second party sues a third party, who is not in contractual privity with the first party, for interfering with a contract the first party has with the second party.

If ESPN actually signed a contract so vague as to promise it would "act in the best interests of a conference" -- which I heavily doubt because such contractual clauses are very rare precisely because of the vagueness -- they would simply be sued for breach of contract.

But hey -- you probably stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I would think that any entity that induces a school to break a GOR is getting sued for TI and I would think will likely lose. Or at least the possibility of losing is high enough to discourage anyone from trying.

Reaction Score
I hope you're not a lawyer because you are 100% wrong. Tortious interference is where a party to a contract with a second party sues a third party, who is not in contractual privity with the first party, for interfering with a contract the first party has with the second party.

If ESPN actually signed a contract so vague as to promise it would "act in the best interests of a conference" -- which I heavily doubt because such contractual clauses are very rare precisely because of the vagueness -- they would simply be sued for breach of contract.

But hey -- you probably stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I figured that would prompt a response from you, so "mission accomplished" :)

Reaction Score
BC has market? BWAHAHAH. They don't even have a Boston Market near Chestnut Shill!!!

It's an absolutely identical assumption to Rutgers having the NYC market. And no matter how terrible Rutgers is on the field and on the court, and how embarrassing they are for the off the field stuff, Delaney and Co still swear up and down that this is a huge win for market presence.

My favorite part of the BC to the BIG fantasy is when the BIG markets BC as "New England's P5 Team" and then colors the BIG map to include Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island and...you guessed it...Connecticut.

Reaction Score
It's an absolutely identical assumption to Rutgers having the NYC market. And no matter how terrible Rutgers is on the field and on the court, and how embarrassing they are for the off the field stuff, Delaney and Co still swear up and down that this is a huge win for market presence.
It's not even close to the same assumption. One is a large state school with many alumi. The other is a small Catholic school identified with a city (to be fair, the city of New England). Those two are not equivalent.

Reaction Score

My favorite part of the BC to the BIG fantasy is when the BIG markets BC as "New England's P5 Team" and then colors the BIG map to include Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island and...you guessed it...Connecticut.
If BC ever went to the B1G they better take that B1G $$ and start greasing some political palms in Boston/Newton to upgrade facilities right quick. You think Coach Smoke & Mirrors is bitching about not having a indoor stand alone football facility now....they'd be telling him to STFU on the beach in Malibu he'd be yelling so loud!

Reaction Score

"My favorite part of the BC to the BIG fantasy is"....fantasy is the operative word.

BC is a small private catholic school in a major metropolitan city. Rutgers is the flagship public university of one of the most populous and affluent states with access to NYC. The only thing Rutgers and BC have in common is an overall poor athletic program.

Private schools are already at a disadvantage in conference realignment, particularly those in large cities. Couple that with BC athletics deciding to take the decade off and the BC's best chance of staying P5 is for the ACC to survive.

The ACC was ignorant enough to believe a small private school could be "New England's P5 team" which partly explains why the ACC is falling behind. Luckily BC has shown what they can deliver with that lofty title. The BIG won't make the same mistake.

The BIG is a conference of large public flagship programs...when they expand they will likely follow the same format which made them so successful.

Reaction Score
"Large flagships" blah blah blah. Where did this myth come from? The BIG doesn't care how big Rutgers is. They're not making money on Rutgers games. They got the BTN carried because of Rutgers and now they make their money because they're are 100x the number of Ohio State and Michigan fans in NYC area as there are Rutgers fans...yes, even though they're a "large flagship university."

BC would get the BTN carried in Massachusetts immediately. Just like NYC, Boston and Massachusetts in general is loaded with Midwestern transplants who would drive ratings and revenues.

But yeah, keep clinging to the idea that UConn is a "large flagship" and "almost AAU." I'm sure redundancy in NYC and a fraction of New England make UConn far more attractive to the BIG than BC.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score

Let me know when your fantasy gets to the part where BC gets a share of the Boston market. Forget anywhere else.

Reaction Score
"Large flagships" blah blah blah. Where did this myth come from? The BIG doesn't care how big Rutgers is. They're not making money on Rutgers games. They got the BTN carried because of Rutgers and now they make their money because they're are 100x the number of Ohio State and Michigan fans in NYC area as there are Rutgers fans...yes, even though they're a "large flagship university."

BC would get the BTN carried in Massachusetts immediately. Just like NYC, Boston and Massachusetts in general is loaded with Midwestern transplants who would drive ratings and revenues.

But yeah, keep clinging to the idea that UConn is a "large flagship" and "almost AAU." I'm sure redundancy in NYC and a fraction of New England make UConn far more attractive to the BIG than BC.

Dude there is no point in arguing with you. Obviously you are here to troll.

Whether UConn gets offered a BIG invite is speculation. What is not speculation is the BIG is a conference of large public flagship programs that are AAU. The only program in the BIG which is not a public flagship is Northwestern and they are a legacy program.

BC cannot carry Boston, let alone Massachusetts and New England. FYI BC had under 1,00o fans at their BB game last night. The only people who cheer for BC are the alumni and even they can't bear to watch anymore.

What were the last 2 additions to the BIG? Maryland and Rutgers...What do they have in common? Large flagship state programs that are AAU. I guess that was just a coincidence.

Wake up...if you are going to troll you need to have some semblance of a legitimate argument. BC is probably the least likely candidate for the BIG. If I were you I'd go back to the "Pope pressuring ND to get BC in" argument...it is more likely.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

So much potential with your first couple of posts, but your true colors are showing.

Take a look at the Big10 schools, see who they are, look at their student populations and alumni. Then tell me it doesn't matter. Guess who was the most watched football conference on TV in 2015? The Big10 and their large flagships. Who make the best fans? Alumni, of course.

I agree that BC would get the BTN on Boston right now. But what happens when the bundles go away? Would BC and their tiny 171,000 alumni be able to carry the torch? Rutgers has 470,000. My guess is that there are more of those 470,000 watching Rutgers games than Boston College's 171,000. Now throw in the size differences of the schools (BC has 14,100 students while Rutgers has 68,000) and the pool that will watch the games is much increased.

Large flagships are important to the Big10. It's one of the reasons why they are one of the two most valuable conferences out there. In case you haven't noticed, the other very valuable conference is a group of 13 large state schools with one private school as well.

Reaction Score
Dude there is no point in arguing with you. Obviously you are here to troll.

Whether UConn gets offered a BIG invite is speculation. What is not speculation is the BIG is a conference of large public flagship programs that are AAU. The only program in the BIG which is not a public flagship is Northwestern and they are a legacy program.

BC cannot carry Boston, let alone Massachusetts and New England. FYI BC had under 1,00o fans at their BB game last night. The only people who cheer for BC are the alumni and even they can't bear to watch anymore.

What were the last 2 additions to the BIG? Maryland and Rutgers...What do they have in common? Large flagship state programs that are AAU. I guess that was just a coincidence.

Wake up...if you are going to troll you need to have some semblance of a legitimate argument. BC is probably the least likely candidate for the BIG. If I were you I'd go back to the "Pope pressuring ND to get BC in" argument...it is more likely.

What? The only program in the B1G that is not a public flagship is Northwestern?

No Sir...Michigan State is not a Flagship, nor is Purdue....

Reaction Score

If being a large, public, flagship university was not important to the B1G, then the B1G would have gone after Syracuse instead of Rutgers because while smaller and further away from NYC, Syracuse's sports brand is a lot better than Rutgers. But, the B1G went with Rutgers and while I am sure they have concerns over the product on the field, the B1G treasure does not.

Also, take a look which conference added what over the last few years...

ACC: BC, V Tech, Miami, Syracuse, Pitt, ND, Louisville = 0 flagships universities (admittedly, ND is in its own category)
B1G: Nebraska, Maryland, Rutgers = 3 flagship universities
PAC: Colorado, Utah = 2 flagship universities
SEC: Missouri, Texas A&M = 1 flagship university (and 1 is the 5th largest university in the US)
XII: TCU, West Virginia = 1 flagship university

Now, which conferences have been able to establish a TV network due to their collective fanbases and which have not? Which conferences are considered to be locks to be a P4 member and which are not?

Now should the ACC or the XII fall apart, which universities look to be the most attractive to the other P4 conferences - Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, UVA, UNC, all of which are flagship universities.

And you still think the prestige and size (in terms of fanbases, athletic revenue and academic revenue) that flagship universities mean nothing?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 2h2 hours ago
There are rumors of KU and OU having an open invitation to join the B10. I can't speak for KU but I can tell you OU does not

My source is 90% certain KU doesn't either and ESPN contact has told B12 that B10 is actively courting UNC/UVA/Duke for certain.

And B10 also has sights on GT/ND/BC.

B.J. Boyce ‏@gq2scoops 2h2 hours ago
@MH ver3 Is there a limit to how many schools the B10 would have? Seems like they'd be pushing 20 with all of these

MH ver3‏@MH ver3 2h2 hours ago
@gq2scoops ESPN thinks 20 is their endgame.

@gq2scoops ESPN also doesn't believe they will be able to afford B10 except on a game by game basis purchased directly from BTN

@gq2scoops fox/NBC will probably end up with majority of B10 content.

@MH ver3 Would this be the end of Notre Dame as an independent then?

@gq2scoops yes but ND has seen the handwriting on the wall for sometime. B10 with BC would be their preferred choice.

@MH ver3 What's the timetable for all of this chaos to start up again?

@gq2scoops late May early June for the first dominos. They will not be huge shockers. The real fun starts later in the summer with B10.

@MH ver3 So the UC/UCONN to B12 domino falls first, then the B10 invades the ACC like its nobody's business? Then full blown chaos ensues?

@gq2scoops that is what it is currently trending towards.

@gq2scoops ACC schools will not be able to resist more than doubling their TV money and being part of the CIC.

Murr ‏@MurrDCU 2h2 hours ago
@MH ver3 @gq2scoops do you think GT and UVA will be the first two ACC schools to move?

@MurrDCU @gq2scoops no. It's looking like UVA/UNC with Duke GT next.

Ian Salmela ‏@Ian_Salmela 2h2 hours ago
@MHv er3 Why is B10 trying to get so big? Do you think all power conferences go to 16 schools? PAC12 and B12 a little behind if so

@Ian_Salmela ESPN doesn't want sec bigger than 16 to keep rivalries

@MH ver3 @Ian_Salmela is SEC interested in getting bigger than 16?

@MurrDCU @Ian_Salmela sec will listen to ESPN but unthinkably he answer here is no. They want to keep as many rivalries intact too

@MH ver3 @Ian_Salmela would SEC grab VT and NC State or look for any B12 pieces?

@MurrDCU @Ian_Salmela but if UT sh its on B12 expansion then there is a possible scenario there.

MH v er3 ‏@MH ve r3 2h2 hours ago
@MurrDCU @Ian_Salmela ESPN wants SEC/B12 to be their premiere leagues and are promoting an armistice between the two.

Ian Salmela ‏@Ian_Salmela 2h2 hours ago
@MH ver3 @MurrDCU ESPN wants them, or are more stuck with them?

@Ian_Salmela @MurrDCU a little bit of both where B12 is concerned.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 3h3 hours ago
@Ian_Salmela B12 will probably stop at 16 if B10 raids ACC.

Ian Salmela ‏@Ian_Salmela 3h3 hours ago
@MH ver3 Okay, any insight on PAC12 further expansion to 16? Any chance any MWC schools are being looked at by power conferences?

MH ver3‏@MH ver3 3h3 hours ago
@Ian_Salmela unfortunately I have very little insight to PAC

Ian Salmela ‏@Ian_Salmela 3h3 hours ago
@MH ver3 I feel like no one does. Or at least they're happy with their relaxing lifestyle on the west coast

TheFrogCast ‏@TheFrogCastTCU 21m21 minutes ago
@MH ver3 @Ian_Salmela P12 will always have solid standing bc of location and recruits, but never a breakout league. High floor, low ceiling.

Hawkeye ‏@hawkeyeND 3h3 hours ago
@MH ver3 ND is contractually obligated to join the ACC if it joins a conference as part of their agreement

@hawkeyeND yup. As long as ACC is a viable conference. Which is why ND will be the last addition the B10 makes.

@hawkeyeND fwiw ND was also contractually obligated to play 4 BigEast teams in fb per year which they did not do.

JF ‏@lwillfollow 3h3 hours ago
@MH ver3 BC.........that's a good one. I thought you were serious until I said BC.

@lwillfollow BC is big money market for BTN like Rutgers. It also helps with ND.

DocBunyan ‏@DocBunyan 2h2 hours ago
@MH ver3 @lwillfollow 50¢ and BC is worth a cup of coffee. Even with ND, won't happen. ND forced back to big east.

BackInStorrs ‏@BackInStorrs 3h3 hours ago
@MH ver3 And how are they going to break the GOR?

@BackInStorrs GOR is invalid because ACCN was not created by the deadline.

BackInStorrs ‏@BackInStorrs 2h2 hours ago
@MH ver3 I love you WVU fans, always praying for the demise of the ACC. Do you have facts on that statement?

Reaction Score
And B10 also has sights on GT/ND/BC.

@MH ver3 So the UC/UCONN to B12 domino falls first, then the B10 invades the ACC like its nobody's business? Then full blown chaos ensues?

@gq2scoops ACC schools will not be able to resist more than doubling their TV money and being part of the CIC.

MH ver3
‏@MH ver3
2h2 hours ago
@MurrDCU @gq2scoops no. It's looking like UVA/UNC with Duke GT next.

@lwillfollow BC is big money market for BTN like Rutgers. It also helps with ND.

@BackInStorrs GOR is invalid because ACCN was not created by the deadline.

Couple of thoughts. First, this completely ignores two key points. First, neither the ACC not the XII have a TV network in place yet and both face major hurdles. Until that is done, both conferences will remain. Second, ND does what ND wants to do regardless of anyone else, including BC, just check who was the home team at Fenway. The only exception looks to be Navy, which is not applicable in the P4 discussion.

Also, I can see Duke coming along with UNC because they offer more in terms of brand (Duke basketball), including the Duke/UNC hoops rivalry, and Duke, and AAU school, would be very attractive to the academic side of the B1G, including the CIC. For example, the B1G/CIC would cover 5 (Northwestern, Chicago, Michigan, Hopkins, Duke) of the top 20 hospitals in the country, a percentage only matched by the Ivy League. BC is not AAU, does not have a research hospital, and there is a big difference philosophically when it comes to the sciences between a sectarian private university and a religious private university.

It's a stretch; but, I can actually see the B1G offering BU a partial membership like they have done with Johns Hopkins as they would get BU's hockey program (other BU sports can play in the Patriot like they do today) and get an AAU university in Boston with a research hospital and serious science and engineering programs. I doubt BU would leave Hockey East; but, stranger things have happened.

Reaction Score
BC is not AAU, does not have a research hospital, and there is a big difference philosophically when it comes to the sciences between a sectarian private university and a religious private university.

The obvious: Notre Dame "is not AAU, does not have a research hospital, and there is a big difference philosophically when it comes to the sciences between a sectarian private university and a religious private university."

Reaction Score
The obvious: Notre Dame "is not AAU, does not have a research hospital, and there is a big difference philosophically when it comes to the sciences between a sectarian private university and a religious private university."

Yeah, somehow BC is unacceptable to a conference that has Purdue, Minnesota, Northwestern, Illinois and now Rutgers. ;)

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Yeah, somehow BC is unacceptable to a conference that has Purdue, Minnesota, Northwestern, Illinois and now Rutgers. ;)

So you are comparing BC to ND? ND had better TV ratings than the PAC and Big12. BC can't compare.

Reaction Score
I would think you guys would welcome BC to the BIG.

1. ND and BC to the BIG
2. The ACC powers once again choose tradition over payday and stick together. I'm just not buying the ACC collapse. UNC, UVA and GT knew 2 years ago that the BIG might double the ACC money but still declined invitations. All this Twitter talk reaks of a desperate B12 trying to fluster FSU and Clemson in a longshot attempt at a more prestigious 11 and 12. Not buying it.
3. Bact to ND and BC to the BIG, ACC backfills BC's spot with UConn.

It's a route to a P5 for you.

Reaction Score
Why BC? Why not Boston U and Notre Dame?

AAU
My favorite mascot
Both schools are "projects" athletically

• BU is a Significantly Larger School: (32,112 vs. 14,317 Total Students)
  • Boston is Slightly More Difficult to Get In: (33.9% vs. 34.5% Acceptance Rate)
  • BU Offers Slightly Cheaper Tuition: ($46,664 vs. $47,436 Tuition)
  • BU Provides Slightly Better Freshmen Financial Aid: (59% vs. 55% of Eligible Freshmen Receive Aid)
  • Boston Students Graduate More in 6 Years: (92% vs. 84% Graduation Rate)
  • Boston Students Earn Slightly More Salary Post-Graduation: ($50,000 vs. $48,000 Median Salary)
  • BU Has Slightly Smaller Class Sizes: (13:1 vs. 15:1 Student-Teacher Ratio)
Rank Source (BC)
#30 U.S. News
#401 Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU)
#37 Forbes
#19 Lumosity
Rank Source (BU)
#41 U.S. News
#73 Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU)
#91 Forbes
#28 Lumosity

Reaction Score

When a conference is looking at expansion options a prospective team is judged by the other available teams, not the current members. BC can argue it brings more to the BIG than Purdue but that is not who BC is competing against for BIG admission.

The deck is stacked against small private schools in urban areas. It is more difficult to build facilities in cities, it is more difficult to build the huge alumni bases that drives demand, and it is more difficult to be the "main event" in a city. Does that mean the BIG will not consider a private school? I'd say no...In fact if the ACC dissolves several private schools will probably get strong consideration from the BIG. These schools include ND, Duke, Miami, GT, Syracuse, and BC. The problem for BC is ND, Duke, Miami and GT all appear to be better options.

It seems unlikely the BIG will take on multiple private schools without adding additional flagship/large state public programs. I may be bias toward UConn but if the BIG needs to choose between Duke/UConn or a Duke/BC I like UConn's chances especially if taking BC involves a messy GOR battle. The biggest issue for UConn will be the competition with the other available flagship schools like UNC and UVA and large state programs like VT and FSU.

Reaction Score
I can see BC getting into the B1G, if the ACC dissolves and if ND wants another private catholic university in the conference with them. I think it would be down to BC or CUSE and ND would probably choose BC. There is a lot riding on these B12 moves. If they are going east and think they will have P5 options in the east once they create a network, I think UConn and UC is where they have to start.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom