Non-Key Tweets | Page 438 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
First of all, nobody is leaving a P5 conference for the Big 12 right now. That's insane. The Big 12 is the weakest of the P5 conferences on the field and in terms of monetary value it's lagging far behind the SEC, B1G and even the ACC at the moment. Without a network in place you basically have a dysfunctional conference where UT is making money hand over fist and Oklahoma has one foot out the door.

Secondly (and this is more opinion than fact), in the unlikely event that the ACC loses 2 teams to the Big 12, you really think they are going to backfill? They clearly don't value us and if they lose two major football brands (FSU/Clemson) you think they are going to rush to replace them with two basketball brands (UConn and Cincy)? No way, my guess is they stay at 12(13) and keep their current TV deal for the next few years, get richer and then the remaining brand name schools bolt for greener pastures in the B1G, SEC or even Big 12 afterwards.

Weakest on the field? I don't see that. Football is almost certainly second to the SEC, depending on how strong the B1G is in a given year. In basketball at present it is the best league, with ACC close behind. Baseball is strong as well, not sure who is best in any given year.

The Big XII is full of schools that are like UConn in some ways, in that they really do take sports pretty seriously. The issue they have is that they exist in 5 states, 4 of which have few people. Sure they cover KC Missouri too...but that's it really.

I don't think they can pull off what is being proposed, or are even trying to, but in many ways it would make some sense.

Reaction Score
Weakest on the field? I don't see that. Football is almost certainly second to the SEC, depending on how strong the B1G is in a given year. In basketball at present it is the best league, with ACC close behind. Baseball is strong as well, not sure who is best in any given year.

The Big XII is full of schools that are like UConn in some ways, in that they really do take sports pretty seriously. The issue they have is that they exist in 5 states, 4 of which have few people. Sure they cover KC Missouri too...but that's it really.

I don't think they can pull off what is being proposed, or are even trying to, but in many ways it would make some sense.

In the last two years (only two of the CFP history) they missed the playoffs and got owned by the ACC champion. Further, Oklahoma wouldn't of even sniffed the playoffs had they not caught a couple of breaks with Notre Dame losing to Stanford and the B1G cannibalizing itself.

At this moment the Big 12 is the weakest of the P5 programs on the field. Things change, but at this moment they are the weakest.

Reaction Score
In the last two years (only two of the CFP history) they missed the playoffs and got owned by the ACC champion. Further, Oklahoma wouldn't of even sniffed the playoffs had they not caught a couple of breaks with Notre Dame losing to Stanford and the B1G cannibalizing itself.

At this moment the Big 12 is the weakest of the P5 programs on the field. Things change, but at this moment they are the weakest.

This is wrong. Oklahoma was already ahead of ND before the Stanford loss. They were going to be in either way. Secondly, you're going by the smallest sample possible. Using just the CFP doesn't make sense. By the numbers, the Big XII was the third-strongest league last year, behind the B1G and the SEC, in that order. Over the past five years, the league has been second, second, fourth, third, and third. By any metric, they're the strong basketball conference.

Reaction Score
This is wrong. Oklahoma was already ahead of ND before the Stanford loss. They were going to be in either way. Secondly, you're going by the smallest sample possible. Using just the CFP doesn't make sense. By the numbers, the Big XII was the third-strongest league last year, behind the B1G and the SEC, in that order. Over the past five years, the league has been second, second, fourth, third, and third. By any metric, they're the strong basketball conference.

Look, I admit that using two seasons is a poor sample size, but this is the structure that exists now so it's worth looking at.

Also, Oklahoma may have been in front of Notre Dame but I would have bet you that the Irish would have jumped the Sooners had they held on to beat a Top 10 Stanford team on the road.

Basketball you are 100% right. But as we unfortunately know, Football drives the bus here.

Reaction Score
Look, I admit that using two seasons is a poor sample size, but this is the structure that exists now so it's worth looking at.

Also, Oklahoma may have been in front of Notre Dame but I would have bet you that the Irish would have jumped the Sooners had they held on to beat a Top 10 Stanford team on the road.

Basketball you are 100% right. But as we unfortunately know, Football drives the bus here.

I would have taken that bet, and I'd have won. The CFP rules clearly state that conference champs get preferential treatment. Oklahoma was in over ND whether ND had beaten Stanford or not, and ND knows it.

Reaction Score
I would have taken that bet, and I'd have won. The CFP rules clearly state that conference champs get preferential treatment. Oklahoma was in over ND whether ND had beaten Stanford or not, and ND knows it.

Dude the rules do not state that. What the rules say is that conference championships are part of a 4 item criteria that must be considered no steadfast rule that indicates OU automatically gets in over Notre Dame cause they won a conference.

When circumstances at the margins indicate that teams are comparable, then the following criteria must be considered:

• Championships won
  • Strength of schedule
  • Head-to-head competition (if it occurred)
  • Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory)

Reaction Score
Dude the rules do not state that. What the rules say is that conference championships are part of a 4 item criteria that must be considered no steadfast rule that indicates OU automatically gets in over Notre Dame cause they won a conference.

When circumstances at the margins indicate that teams are comparable, then the following criteria must be considered:

• Championships won
  • Strength of schedule
  • Head-to-head competition (if it occurred)
  • Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory)

It also says that an independent or non-champion is to be chosen only "under circumstances where that particular non-champion or independent is unequivocally one of the four best teams in the country." Notre Dame, Stanford win or no, was not unequivocally one of the four best teams in the country. They had an argument for #4 with Oklahoma. Oklahoma would have gotten in regardless of what ND did.

Not to mention that Oklahoma (36) had a better SOS than ND (39).

Not to mention again that only looking at the #1 team in a conference and only at that team's performance in the CFP is a ridiculous way to measure conference strength. By that measure, the ACC was the second-best conference in the country last year, and that's plainly untrue. Going back to your original wrong point, there is no reasonable measure by which you can determine that the Big XII is the weakest conference "on the field."

Reaction Score
It also says that an independent or non-champion is to be chosen only "under circumstances where that particular non-champion or independent is unequivocally one of the four best teams in the country." Notre Dame, Stanford win or no, was not unequivocally one of the four best teams in the country. They had an argument for #4 with Oklahoma. Oklahoma would have gotten in regardless of what ND did.

Not to mention that Oklahoma (36) had a better SOS than ND (39).

Not to mention again that only looking at the #1 team in a conference and only at that team's performance in the CFP is a ridiculous way to measure conference strength. By that measure, the ACC was the second-best conference in the country last year, and that's plainly untrue. Going back to your original wrong point, there is no reasonable measure by which you can determine that the Big XII is the weakest conference "on the field."

Fair or not that's the way it works. You're judged by your champion. If that weren't the case Big East football would still be with us today.

Reaction Score
Fair or not that's the way it works. You're judged by your champion. If that weren't the case Big East football would still be with us today.

Well, by that metric then, the SEC is #1, the ACC is #2, the Big XII is #3, and the B1G is #4. You want to keep playing?

Reaction Score
Well, by that metric then, the SEC is #1, the ACC is #2, the Big XII is #3, and the B1G is #4. You want to keep playing?

20928708696_2a9ec578e2.jpg

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It seems pretty clear to me that the first of the two conferences to develop their own conference media network is the one to have a much better chance of surviving. ESPN seems to think an ACC network is not viable. I agree. Except for Virginia and North Carolina, they arguably do not have a single state Flagship. Every other member program either shares, or is a distant runner up in, their respective state. The Big XII is Texas heavy, however the and while it is a very large and populated state, not many markets outside Texas really give a hoot and half.

The difference is The Big XII already has the infrastructure in place for a network. if only UT-Austin would realize it. ESPN is taking a bath on the Long Horn Network and they will continue to unless they can't find a way out of the contract. Part of it is their own fault. The LHN was both poorly conceived and poorly received by consumers and no one outside of Texas really cares to even inquire of their cable provider about the LHN let alone subscribe. Carriage fees are reportedly about $0.30/month/subscriber, and according to the LHN deal, they paid UT-Austin $10.8 M in 2011 which escalates by 3% each year until 2031. A quick & dirty calc. reveals they owe UT an average of just under $16M per year for the rest of the deal.

All the money that ESPN has spent over the last 5 years and has agreed to spend for the next 15 are sunk costs, but the infrastructure is still there. So on the other hand, if ESPN can renegotiate the development of a Big XII network, in lieu of the LHN, they can market it to Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa, West Virginia and the other two markets they invite (presumably NYC, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Ohio, and Northern Kentucky), increase subscription fees (the SNY effect), allowing them to make Texas whole for their terrible LHN contract and be able to give gobs of money to the other 11 member programs.

Unfortunately, two things have to happen and one of them is to make the most stubborn, self-centered, individualistic population on the face of the Earth understand that they will suffer if the Big XII implodes, which is very hard see through $225 Million guaranteed over the next 15 years.

Reaction Score
In a way the massive success of our women's hoops team hurts the perception of our overall athletics (by idiots but still).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

That's absurd. I don't know anybody who feels that way. Conference strength is about top to bottom strength. The Big XII has been very good, even last year when missing the playoff.

Reaction Score
That's absurd. I don't know anybody who feels that way. Conference strength is about top to bottom strength. The Big XII has been very good, even last year when missing the playoff.

The Big East was one of the most balanced and deep conferences year in and year out in it's last decade of existence. Every year we had a minimum half of our teams with 8 wins or more.

This isn't my opinion, you can go back and look at the standings. Top to bottom the Big East was a deep conference.

It's unfair, but the two BCS Cincy losses and the UConn loss created the perception that the conference was weaker than it ever was. Add the subsequent loss of Pitt, Cuse and WVU and that perception only grew.

You're not judged by the media on how good you are 13 Saturday's a year, you're judged by how your standard bearers perform on the big stage and if they don't make or or they can't get the job done when you are there, that fosters the perception that you're the weakest. The Big 12 is the only P5 school to not win a playoff game in the first two years.

But all this is secondary to why nobody in the P5 will join the Big 12.

The fact that they aren't making as much money and their two big name programs are on the edge of blowing the whole thing up and is the reason why no P5 school would run into that situation.

This is why so many people have said over and over again that the only way to save the Big 12 is to get a network. The network eliminates the LHN and keeps Oklahoma happy.

You get the network the payouts increase and suddenly you become more attractive to other P5 schools - how else do you think the B1G was able to pry one of the founding members of the ACC away?

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 6h6 hours ago
So the Dude now is saying B12 has reached out to FSU, Clemson, Miami, and Pitt?
Are we in some Time Machine that I don't know about?

Didn't the Dude give us speeches on Twitter last Summer that no P5 would poach from another in next 30 years?

Are we taking a trip back to 2010-2015 dude?
Where the B12 invades the ACC?
OUT:Movie Sequels
IN: Rehash incorrect Realignment Fantasies

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@UHstormtrooper I've got people sending me his delusion daily. He is hiding for a reason....the kid is in Panic Mode.

Flintdawg8208 ‏@Odharris1 · 6h6 hours ago
@flugempire he stated that Oklahoma and West Virginia threaten to leave the big 12 if they don't expand. WV where would they go?

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@Odharris1 Oklahoma is threatening....has been....wants B12 to reform. But Dude went after me when I stated all of this 12 months ago.

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@Odharris1 So Dude was the last guy...and his sources were the last people to figure this out.
The last people

@Odharris1 And as for West Virginia they have no where to go. Dude is just trying to make himself feel better.

@Odharris1 When Boren first publically spoke on all of this Dude called him a senile old man.
Dude is a crackpot

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@Odharris1 I don't fault Dude for his love of WVU...but his "sources info" is all based on his love of WVU.
Ridiculous

Reaction Score
Donald Day ‏@dfday2 10h10 hours ago
@MH ver3 seeing some recent articles mentioning Florida State. What's your thoughts? Are they actually in play for the first two additions?

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
@dfday2 they could be in play for the first block of additions depending on how the chips fall
8:33 AM - 26 Feb 2016

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 22h22 hours ago
If B12 offers 2 ACC schools a financial package that guarantees $100m more over 5 years-do they bite and leave first?We may find out soon

JimdishCT ‏@HuskyCast 18h18 hours ago
@MH ver3 Who pays for that? Existing teams or a network bidding against itself and covering the GOR? Seems a stretch.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 9h9 hours ago
@HuskyCast the GOR is invalid because the terms were not met.

Storrs South ‏@gampel_2_msg 8h8 hours ago
@MH ver3 @HuskyCast that being the ACCN?

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
@gampel_2_msg @HuskyCast yes.

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
B12 is (for now)projecting next negotiation of 1st and 2nd tier rights to bring in $35m per school per year.
4:30 PM - 26 Feb 2016

Storrs South ‏@gampel_2_msg
@MH ver3 is that expansion school dependent?

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
@gampel_2_msg no that is as of now according to the data.

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
I'm telling you, someone really needs to do a FOIA on UNC for communications with the B10.

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
It should at least reveal a non-disclosure agreement.

calluke

#FreeHat!
Reaction Score

1. 3:10 PM - 27 Feb 2016
    MHver3 ‏@MHver3 14m14 minutes ago
    Interestingly enough, even if ESPN had all of ND's TV rights it still wouldn't be enough to put ACC deal in the black.

2. MHver3 ‏@MHver3 18m18 minutes ago
    Advertising fees go up with each contract and using historic numbers and inflation B12 projects 35m per school per year keeps those profit#s

3. MHver3 ‏@MHver3 22m22 minutes ago
    So while the money being spent on those two is exponentially less there is value there.

4. MHver3 ‏@MHver3 22m22 minutes ago
    CBS and ESPN both profit over 30% for MWC content while AAC nets ESPN over 50% when factoring in games sold to CBS.

5. MHver3 ‏@MHver3 24m24 minutes ago
    The real surprise here is MWC and AAC

6. MHver3 ‏@MHver3 25m25 minutes ago
    The Pac12 nets both networks less than 10%.

7. MHver3 ‏@MHver3 26m26 minutes ago
    B10 nets fox a solid 22% and ESPN an equally solid 19%.

8. MHver3 ‏@MHver3 27m27 minutes ago
    Not surprisingly the SEC nets ESPN a 25% profit. B12 nets fox 16% and ESPN 18%

9. MHver3 ‏@MHver3 28m28 minutes ago
    For example ESPN actually is in the red in regards to the ACC deal. Projected almost -20% when ratings and advertisements are considered

10. MHver3 ‏@MHver3 29m29 minutes ago
    Interesting analysis of profit % for conferences and Networks based off of research. Projected results are somewhat surprising

Reaction Score
MH3 ‏@MH3 · 2h2 hours ago
For example ESPN actually is in the red in regards to the ACC deal. Projected almost -20% when ratings and advertisements are considered

Mountaineer Steve ‏@Mountaineer_Ste · 2h2 hours ago  Irmo, SC
@MH3 Where in the world are you getting these numbers?

MH3‏@MH3
@Mountaineer_Ste these numbers are part of the research being done for the B12 in regards to expansion and a network.

@Mountaineer_Ste these numbers were texted to me by my WVU AD source.

Murr ‏@MurrDCU · 2h2 hours ago
@MH3 So the only really bad contract is the ACC's.

MH3‏@MH3
@MurrDCU yes. And ESPN knew it was a bad contract when they negotiated it.

Also learned while the ACC GOR is being challenged in court there are creative ways around it since ESPN holds those rights and some ofB12's

C.L.H. ‏@calluke1 · 2h2 hours ago
@MH3 What does this mean in regards to your previous prediction of UC and CT to B12?

MH3‏@MH3
@calluke1 my source believes they are both getting in.BYU also enhances B12 profile but there are too many issues.ACC schools may be in play

MH3 ‏@MH3 · 1h1 hour ago
@calluke1 may see a scenario where Pitt/Cuse/and Wake are left holding the bag and the rights to the ACC name

MH3 ‏@MH3 · 1h1 hour ago
@calluke1 and those three would theoretically have a huge heap of ACC buyout money to build with.

MH3 ‏@MH3 · 1h1 hour ago
@calluke1 assuming there isn't a vote to dissolve the conference.

MH3 ‏@MH3 · 1h1 hour ago
@calluke1 I could see Pitt just taking their $200m and running though.

MH3 ‏@MH3 · 6m6 minutes ago
So I asked my source if ACC contract is so overvalued how can ACC schools increase revenues for B10/SEC/B12?

MH3 ‏@MH3 · 5m5 minutes ago
2 things. Conference network subscriber fees and better overall schools in the brand.

MH3 ‏@MH3 · 4m4 minutes ago
Wake and Pitt are the true weak sisters of the ACC. Cuse and BC are close but Cuse has Bball an BC has Market.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom