Non-Key Tweets | Page 265 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I disagree all is wonderful in ACC land. Imagine wanna be Ivy - Duke; saddled with Louisville in the same conference. You get to known by the company you keep. There are some very good schools in the ACC and some awful ones. Adding Louisville just made a mockery of the ACC's alleged high academic standards. That dichotomy will present problems soon enough.

Or they won't.

If academics were truly important, they wouldn't have invited Louisville.

The problems for the ACC start rolling in when the conference network proves to be a fantasy. Then you'll start to see schools wondering why their $22M isn't $42M.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
HoopsWeiss 11:04am via Twitter for iPad
Fox sports mulling idea of Kansas OU leaving big 12 for Big to give that conference 16 teams. Just another rumor? @BlueStarMedia1

Dick Weiss put that out? To be honest, if Weiss said that, it belongs in the "Key Tweets" thread. Weiss is a very, very responsible journalist that has been in the game a long, long time. He cushioned that as a 'rumor' but he's not the type to put stuff out like that without some sort of reason.

Reaction Score
Dick Weiss put that out? To be honest, if Weiss said that, it belongs in the "Key Tweets" thread. Weiss is a very, very responsible journalist that has been in the game a long, long time. He cushioned that as a 'rumor' but he's not the type to put stuff out like that without some sort of reason.

It was the @bluestarmedia1 add that made me waffle... didn't really see what prompted it or what it was in relation to.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So in this hypothetical, why not OU and UConn? I am sure UConn would agree to play a high profile game at Met Life or Foxboro, basketball delivers NYC with more natural rivalries, and the Olympics sports are a perfect match? I am sorry, I don't see the value in Kansas. Not to long ago, they were headed to the Mountain West. UConn is a far better fit.

Not likely. Kansas probably moves the needle more than UConn nationally (its close) but certainly more in Big Ten country. Football at KU is better despite being bad right now. They are definitely needed as a bridge to Oklahoma if OU is going B1G. I could see UConn and Kansas if the B1G wants a basketball push. UConn and KU have better markets than OU. They are also better cultural fits for the B1G than OU which probably fits better in the SEC.

So far the B1G has added:
  • Penn State, with great football and markets, and a "northern/midwestern" culture.
  • Nebraska after a bit of a downturn at Michigan and OSU, to bolster the football bona fides. Added little for markets.
  • Maryland, good hoops, ok football and very strong markets (DC)
  • Rutgers, strong markets, weak sports teams generally (NY/NJ)
What do they need next? Football? BTN content? Basketball? Markets? They have valued all of those things at different times. Only Penn State was really a slam dunk on every metric. What they have never done is added a school that wasn't a large public institution with decent research or that wasn't contiguous to their footprint (I don't think Westchester Cty is an impediment for UConn in that regard). In other words: not GT, not OU without KU. Not Colo State without KU. UVA and VTI would be in play.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
So in this hypothetical, why not OU and UConn? I am sure UConn would agree to play a high profile game at Met Life or Foxboro, basketball delivers NYC with more natural rivalries, and the Olympics sports are a perfect match? I am sorry, I don't see the value in Kansas. Not to long ago, they were headed to the Mountain West. UConn is a far better fit.

You are preaching to the choir. In my world, OU and UConn would be great. The problem is the data suggests that Kansas is a better national draw than UConn (I hate typing that), at least in 2014/2015.

UConn played a total of 21 nationally televised games last season. In those games, UConn had an estimated average of 553,000 viewers. Kansas played in 29 nationally televised games and had an estimated average of 1,025,ooo viewers nationally.

In games against common opponents, Kansas outdrew UConn in every game, with the games against Florida the only close ones. In games against Temple and Texas, Kansas tripled the viewership of UConn.

Yes, I know that more Kansas games were on ESPN and CBS than UConn. They also play in a better conference too. This data doesn't include games played on local channels or conference networks, so the local UConn games may be higher.

I have been around this board for a while now and have said many times I would love to have UConn in the Big10 and this data doesn't change that thought for me. Unfortunately, I'm not a Big10 college president or a high ranking Big10 official. I don't know what they are thinking, but to say that Kansas and Oklahoma bring nothing to the table is nonsense.

Disclaimer: I may have missed some games. I did not go through the data with a fine tooth comb. It was not intentional if I missed any games.

Reaction Score
You are preaching to the choir. In my world, OU and UConn would be great. The problem is the data suggests that Kansas is a better national draw than UConn (I hate typing that), at least in 2014/2015.

UConn played a total of 21 nationally televised games last season. In those games, UConn had an estimated average of 553,000 viewers. Kansas played in 29 nationally televised games and had an estimated average of 1,025,ooo viewers nationally.

In games against common opponents, Kansas outdrew UConn in every game, with the games against Florida the only close ones. In games against Temple and Texas, Kansas tripled the viewership of UConn.

Yes, I know that more Kansas games were on ESPN and CBS than UConn. They also play in a better conference too. This data doesn't include games played on local channels or conference networks, so the local UConn games may be higher.

I have been around this board for a while now and have said many times I would love to have UConn in the Big10 and this data doesn't change that thought for me. Unfortunately, I'm not a Big10 college president or a high ranking Big10 official. I don't know what they are thinking, but to say that Kansas and Oklahoma bring nothing to the table is nonsense.

Disclaimer: I may have missed some games. I did not go through the data with a fine tooth comb. It was not intentional if I missed any games.
The only thing this data suggests is how bad the teams/lack of rivalries are in a newly formed, disjointed conference. Lets see how UConn/Maryland at MSG rates. For the record, I never suggested OU and Kansas bring nothing. Someone pointed out that it was nice consolation prize and I suggested it in terms of value, the gap between those two vs UNC and UVA was sizable.

Reaction Score
It was the @bluestarmedia1 add that made me waffle... didn't really see what prompted it or what it was in relation to.

Fair enough. Blue Star Media, by the way, is the company Weiss runs covering college basketball & recruiting. He was just using the mention as a sort of hashtag.

Reaction Score
If we are honest
The typical B1G fan,AD, or even president will prefer Kansas over us.
Midwestern,longer history
Possible exception might be the Eastern Wing presidents who should have been courted all along. I always thought you Rutgers bashers were myopic.
We need a friend and hated rival if we expect to get in.
Our Best hope is if Texas and OU both go to the PAC
Making Kansas and UConn a real possibility
Given their current relationship that seems unlikely.
Our next best option is the Big taking 4
OU,OSU,Kansas and Us
If OU makes OSU continengent on their move that's a possibility
Hard to see OU leaving OSU out in the
cold. Given Oklahoma politics, it's not like Kansas has other options so saving KS isn't on them. If the B1G doesn't go for OSU than option one is more probable.
A destruct scenario was never in our best interest it puts us down the pecking list.
But the chances of us findinding a suitable partner are slim at best so that has faded

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Not to make excuses (but I will anyway!), but it is easier to draw ratings when 1) a team is ranked, 2) playing against other ranked P5 programs with larger followings than the AAC schools we play, 3) and play on larger platform channels (ESPN vs ESPNU/CBSSN).

Kansas would certainly bring value to the B1G. I don't know who would bring more value: UConn or Kansas. The football is about the same and both would bring outstanding basketball. Here is my very quick analysis between the two:

Football - both prone to cyclical performance; KU more history (everyone does); both offer mediocre football recruiting. Edge - KU slightly

Hoops - KU is "blue blood" (I hate this term...in 25+ years, does UCONN earn the "blue blood" title? 50 years? When, because UCONN certainly has the hoops success?), UCONN has more recent success/history; KU = Naismith, UCONN = Basketball HOF; UCONN offers superior hoops recruiting territories. Edge - UCONN slightly

Academics - KU = AAU, UCONN spending $1.5B to expedite AAU profile; KU 106 undergrad ranking, UCONN 58 undergrad ranking; KU endowment $1.3B, UCONN endowment $440M. Edge - KU (because AAU is such an important B1G metric)

Markets - Hartford/New Haven ranked 30th DMA, Kansas City ranked 31st DMA; UCONN presence in NYC (part of NYC DMA located in CT) and a little Boston, KU presence in St Louis and a little Denver (I don't know?). Edge - UCONN

Intangibles - KU tied up by GoR and pressure to bring along KSU; UCONN owned by ESPiN for pennies on the dollar. Edge - UCONN

It's probably a lot closer between KU and UCONN than most would care to admit. In a perfect world, the B1G would go for the gusto and invite OU, KU, UCONN, and a few B12 leftovers to get to 20. But if it's a choice between OU + KU/UCONN, that choice would be very difficult.

Reaction Score
I don't think that happens as I don't think the B1G actually wants either KU or OU. I think they'd take either but that wouldn't serve their mission at all. Not enough TV'S or research money and that's what we know moves the B1G

If the B1G had its way, it would poach the ACC for UVA, UNC, G Tech & Florida St (maybe Duke, too - basketball & research $$). But, the XII looks to be more unstable and grabbing Oklahoma (football), Kansas (basketball & AAU) as a package to get Texas (assuming the Long Horns agree to play in the same sandbox as everyone else) is plan B and plan B looks more likely right now.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Hoops Weiss broke the first Big East raid. He found out why Skip Proesser turned down the Pitt job to stay at Wake.

Reaction Score
But how do you get to 20 universities in this scenario?

Pod 4
1. Maryland
2. Penn State
3. Rutgers
4. UConn ?
5. ?

Even if the B1G can't get all of the ACC schools it wants, I suspect that will try to get at least 1 of the 2 Virginia schools to lock-up DC.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Our consolation prize for failing to find a new conference in the b12 implosion will be reunion with West Virginia. Oh how funny it will be.

Reaction Score
Our consolation prize for failing to find a new conference in the b12 implosion will be reunion with West Virginia. Oh how funny it will be.
If our reunion is in the AAC ,I fail to see any humor.
misery loves company is a losing proposition
I do no like to lose

Reaction Score

We are at least close to or equal to Kansas in value and it would certainly be cheaper to have 1 school break a GOR than 2.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

He tags them on every tweet.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
The Dude weighs in on today's tweets.

Dick Weiss ‏@HoopsWeiss
Fox sports mulling idea of Kansas OU leaving big 12 for Big to give that conference 16 teams. Just another rumor? @BlueStarMedia1

Christopher Lambert– ‏@theDudeofWV

@HoopsWeiss @BlueStarMedia1 So are you just a bad journalist? Or just stupid?
5:49 PM - 27 Jul 2015
Reply to @theDudeofWV
Replies

35m35 minutes ago
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV
@HoopsWeiss @BlueStarMedia1 That tweet about Fox was so stupid & careless you should be removed from the basketball writers hall of fame.

Reaction Score

Dick Weiss ‏@HoopsWeiss

Reply to @theDudeofWV
Replies

35m35 minutes ago
@HoopsWeiss @BlueStarMedia1 That tweet about Fox was so stupid & careless you should be removed from the basketball writers hall of fame.

LOL at The Dude questioning someone else's journalism chops, let alone a member of the BBWHOF.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If our reunion is in the AAC ,I fail to see any humor.
misery loves company is a losing proposition
I do no like to lose

Dick Weiss ‏@HoopsWeiss

Reply to @theDudeofWV
Replies

35m35 minutes ago

Love it. Torment the WV Superfan.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 50m50 minutes ago
@HoopsWeiss @BlueStarMedia1 That's super stupid. Fox doesn't own the Big 12's rights. The conf. holds the GoR.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 49m49 minutes ago
@HoopsWeiss @BlueStarMedia1 That's downright dishonest journalism. Show's ignorance & laziness.

@HoopsWeiss @BlueStarMedia1 Just a bit of research on your part would have told you that Fox doesn't own the GoR for the Big 12.

@HoopsWeiss @BlueStarMedia1 Just another google search away would have been the fact that Fox & ESPN share the Big 12 TV contract.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 48m48 minutes ago

@Genetics56 Consider @HoopsWeiss educated. I set him straight.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 21m21 minutes ago
Relax Dude.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 50m50 minutes ago
@HoopsWeiss @BlueStarMedia1 That's super stupid. Fox doesn't own the Big 12's rights. The conf. holds the GoR.

@HoopsWeiss @BlueStarMedia1 That's downright dishonest journalism. Show's ignorance & laziness.

@HoopsWeiss @BlueStarMedia1 Just a bit of research on your part would have told you that Fox doesn't own the GoR for the Big 12.

@HoopsWeiss @BlueStarMedia1 Just another google search away would have been the fact that Fox & ESPN share the Big 12 TV contract.

@Genetics56 Consider @HoopsWeiss educated. I set him straight.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 21m21 minutes ago
Relax Dude.

My read on this was that Weiss was saying that FOX was mulling OU and KU to the B1G because of it's impact on the B1G TV rights (which they do own a large part of if I'm not mistaken), not the Big 12.

But yeah, relax Dude. You're being very un-Dude.

Reaction Score
I love the panic this is setting off within the dude. Was just going to post that tirade.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom