Non-Key Tweets | Page 264 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I can't see TV wanting more Plains states for the B1G. Corn doesn't subscribe to cable.

Yes I do think the math is tricky for those two schools. They would really need to do well in the Tier 1 rights for it to work.

They did show they were willing to make a move on a school that didn't bring a huge population base though.

As a fit I think they make more sense than anyone else though - if I were them I'd want UNC and Virginia - but Kansas and Oklahoma is a nice backup plan if you can get the money in Tier 1.

I'll still believes anyone is out of a GOR when someone is out of a GOR.

Reaction Score
Yes I do think the math is tricky for those two schools. They would really need to do well in the Tier 1 rights for it to work.

They did show they were willing to make a move on a school that didn't bring a huge population base though.

As a fit I think they make more sense than anyone else though - if I were them I'd want UNC and Virginia - but Kansas and Oklahoma is a nice backup plan if you can get the money in Tier 1.

I'll still believes anyone is out of a GOR when someone is out of a GOR.
Kansas and Oklahoma are no where close to UNC and UVA in terms of value to the B1G.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Kansas and Oklahoma are no where close to UNC and UVA in terms of value to the B1G.

And you would have said the same thing about Nebraska. Yet there Nebraska is.

Notre Dame would be worth a lot too - so what.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

The Nebraska addition definitely makes the KS/OK additions more likely. I just don't see it though for a bunch of reasons. I think KS/UConn to B1G is a lot more likely than KS/OK for some reason (I see neither as incredibly likely) maybe it's the cultural thing.

Reaction Score

So what? We are talking about revenue for the B1g. What additional revenue would Kansas bring? I could argue the VaTech and UConn offer more value to the B1g than OU and Kansas.

Reaction Score
So what? We are talking about revenue for the B1g. What additional revenue would Kansas bring? I could argue the VaTech and UConn offer more value to the B1g than OU and Kansas.

I would argue that I bring more value to Jessica Alba than Channing Tatum

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

But if a school isn't available it
isn't available.

Why don't you go research what Kansas pulls in Tier 3 and see if anyone has been able to monetize them at all in the recent past.

There is more to their TV contract than just the Big Ten Network. If the only thing that mattered was cable subs would Nebraska be in the league?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

OU would be the most valuable in terms of a tier 1 football focused contract, without question. OU drives football ratings nationally like Nebraska does. The BTN is a part of the strategy, but the B1G is negotiating its main contract soon, and that has nothing to do with BTN content. OU is likely top 15 nationally for football and KU probably top 5 for basketball in terms of moving the dial. As for cable, but KU does bring both KC (#31) and Wichita (#67) markets. KC market is essentially tied with Hartford/NH (#30) in size. OU has OKC at #41 and Tulsa at #60.

This would absolutely be feasible for the B1G even from a market perspective. UConn arguably brings more from a market perspective because of proximity to NYC, and better BTN content (women's hoops, hockey, soccer). But don't sell OU/KU short, both are far above Nebraska in that regard (or Louisville for example). Now Iowa State gives them nothing. Zip.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
But how do you get to 20 universities in this scenario?

Pod 1
1. Nebraska
2. Kansas ?
3. Oklahoma ?
4. ?
5. ?

Pod 2
1. Illinois
2. Iowa
3. Minnesota
4. Northwestern
5. Wisconsin

Pod 3
1. Indiana
2. Michigan
3. Michigan State
4. Ohio State
5. Purdue

Pod 4
1. Maryland
2. Penn State
3. Rutgers
4. UConn ?
5. ?

Flat out, I really don't know. I can only speculate. I'm going by what Big10 people have said in the past. I believe that Delaney has mentioned it as well as a handful of other Big10 school admins. My memory could be failing here, but I believe a few have mentioned it.

They may just go to 16 and see what plays out from there.

Reaction Score
But if a school isn't available it
isn't available.

Why don't you go research what Kansas pulls in Tier 3 and see if anyone has been able to monetize them at all in the recent past.

There is more to their TV contract than just the Big Ten Network. If the only thing that mattered was cable subs would Nebraska be in the league?
Then why is Rutgers in the league? Besides, OU and Kansas are available but Va Tech isn't? If there is movement in and out of the Big12, my guess is there will be some movement in and out of the ACC as well.

Reaction Score
Then why is Rutgers in the league? Besides, OU and Kansas are available but Va Tech isn't? If there is movement in and out of the Big12, my guess is there will be some movement in and out of the ACC as well.

Difference everyone seems happy in the ACC now, the Big 12 is an unorganized mess.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Maybe it's because they look at the schools in total and don't have a single set of metrics that they apply across the board?

No I don't think the ACC schools are interested right now. If they were some would be extremely attractive and could be better options than Kansas and Oklahoma - but I don't see the President of VPI making noise in the media while I do see the President of Oklahoma...

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I can't see TV wanting more Plains states for the B1G. Corn doesn't subscribe to cable.
So I was thinking about that and although most would agree....think about this: Oklahoma vs Michigan every other year...OU vs Ohio State etc etc every other year. Those will generate national ratings..huge national ratings. maybe...perhaps...that is a thought of the air wave decision makers? Just a thought.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

Because Rutgers was entrance into the NYC market. They were/are continuous, AAU, and just merged with the med school. Rutgers WAS about subscriptions. Remember, Fox just purchased controlling interest in the YES network. Just like ESPN leveraged it's network with The SECN, Fox could/did the same with the BTN. Rutgers was a great addition for the Big10 alumni in NYC, just like UMD was for DC alumni.

Since the Big10 gets money from different aspects of it media, they need names for the tier 1 negotiations. People watch Oklahoma football and Kansas basketball. They will be on ABC/Fox broadcast network channels, not on the secondary channels. Imagine Michigan and Oklahoma playing in October. The revival of the Nebraska - Oklahoma series. They could, potentially, have the Red River Shootout every other year! Throwin in Kansas BBall games against Indiana, Michigan State, Wisconsisn, and Maryland, you've got a pretty good lineup there that would make money for advertisers on winter Saturdays. The markets aren't great, but Kansas has pull in Kansas City and Oklahoma has pull in Dallas/Fort Worth.

Obviously, UNC and UVA would be the main targets, but they seem to want to stay in the ACC. I have been a very large proponent of VT and UConn to the Big10, but I don't see that happening quite yet. Since we are playing with the scenario of the Big12 GoR having a loophole, OU and KU seem to be the most attainable.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
This is what I would do (I apologize in advance to Boneyarders for not using the appropriate number of slashes)...

But how do you get to 20 universities in this scenario?

Pod 1
1. Nebraska
2. Kansas ?
3. Oklahoma ?
4. ? Texas - would need to drop the LHN nonsense, but if they do, they can make the money back from BTN revenue
5. ? Iowa State - to satisfy enough B1G Presidents that they will get an AAU member after inviting non-AAU members OU, UCONN, and possibly VT

Pod 2
1. Illinois
2. Iowa
3. Minnesota
4. Northwestern
5. Wisconsin

Pod 3
1. Indiana
2. Michigan
3. Michigan State
4. Ohio State
5. Purdue

Pod 4
1. Maryland
2. Penn State
3. Rutgers
4. UConn ?
5. ? VT/UVA

Reaction Score
Because Rutgers was entrance into the NYC market. They were/are continuous, AAU, and just merged with the med school. Rutgers WAS about subscriptions. Remember, Fox just purchased controlling interest in the YES network. Just like ESPN leveraged it's network with The SECN, Fox could/did the same with the BTN. Rutgers was a great addition for the Big10 alumni in NYC, just like UMD was for DC alumni.

Since the Big10 gets money from different aspects of it media, they need names for the tier 1 negotiations. People watch Oklahoma football and Kansas basketball. They will be on ABC/Fox broadcast network channels, not on the secondary channels. Imagine Michigan and Oklahoma playing in October. The revival of the Nebraska - Oklahoma series. They could, potentially, have the Red River Shootout every other year! Throwin in Kansas BBall games against Indiana, Michigan State, Wisconsisn, and Maryland, you've got a pretty good lineup there that would make money for advertisers on winter Saturdays. The markets aren't great, but Kansas has pull in Kansas City and Oklahoma has pull in Dallas/Fort Worth.

Obviously, UNC and UVA would be the main targets, but they seem to want to stay in the ACC. I have been a very large proponent of VT and UConn to the Big10, but I don't see that happening quite yet. Since we are playing with the scenario of the Big12 GoR having a loophole, OU and KU seem to be the most attainable.
So in this hypothetical, why not OU and UConn? I am sure UConn would agree to play a high profile game at Met Life or Foxboro, basketball delivers NYC with more natural rivalries, and the Olympics sports are a perfect match? I am sorry, I don't see the value in Kansas. Not to long ago, they were headed to the Mountain West. UConn is a far better fit.

Reaction Score
Difference everyone seems happy in the ACC now, the Big 12 is an unorganized mess.

I disagree all is wonderful in ACC land. Imagine wanna be Ivy - Duke; saddled with Louisville in the same conference. You get to known by the company you keep. There are some very good schools in the ACC and some shitful ones. Adding Louisville just made a mockery of the ACC's alleged high academic standards. That dichotomy will present problems soon enough.

Reaction Score

I disagree all is wonderful in ACC land. Imagine wanna be Ivy - Duke; saddled with Louisville in the same conference. You get to known by the company you keep. There are some very good schools in the ACC and some awful ones. Adding Louisville just made a mockery of the ACC's alleged high academic standards. That dichotomy will present problems soon enough.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Like I said in the other thread, we have to lobby for a 4 team addition to the B1G, 2 bball schools and 2 football schools. I don't know what the internal politics of the B1G would be on the issue of whether to make their next move 2 schools or 4.

Reaction Score
I disagree all is wonderful in ACC land. Imagine wanna be Ivy - Duke; saddled with Louisville in the same conference. You get to known by the company you keep. There are some very good schools in the ACC and some awful ones. Adding Louisville just made a mockery of the ACC's alleged high academic standards. That dichotomy will present problems soon enough.

That still doesn't mean it is unstable. Now if the network doesn't come soon I think you will hear chirping from FSU. Only problem FSU really only has one option and it's not a great one(Big 12)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom