Non-Key Tweets | Page 1038 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
I agree that it would be a mistake to take away legitimate four year college options within reasonable driving distances from Connecticut kids. But I would call them all University of Connecticut and make them all pseudo-branches. I think it would raise the profile of the "directional schools" and bring more pride to the UConn name in the state. You may even get kids from out of state to go and pay non-subsidized tuition.

Look at the North Carolina system. We have kids from NJ going to UNC Charlotte and UNC Wilmington. I don't know a lot about the Connecticut state schools, but I'd think they are of similar quality to some of the UNC schools.

Or probably more appropriate since the UNC schools have pretty big enrollments, look at Penn State. Every kid in NJ that applies to Penn State gets accepted in some capacity. Often it's branches, but those branches are actual four year schools with dorms and other students that plan on being their for four years. Seems to give a better option than UConn Hartford.
The State universities, Central, Easter, Western, Southern, are different and have different missions from UConn. They are more teaching focused and less dedicated to research which is really UConn’s bread and butter. The regional schools are comparable to places like the traditional MAC schools, the MASCAC schools in Massachusetts. They have a different role than UConn.

What I’d like to see is some of the UConn regional campuses, notably Stamford and Hartford, become universities in their own rights more like NC Charlotte, or UMass Lowell. A component of the UConn system but separate entities that offer more than a place to put kids who can’t fit into dorms in Storrs and MBAs taught by pseudo-faculty moonlighting from Aetna and M&T Bank. Make them real universities with real programs and real faculty.

Reaction Score
The State universities, Central, Easter, Western, Southern, are different and have different missions from UConn. They are more teaching focused and less dedicated to research which is really UConn’s bread and butter. The regional schools are comparable to places like the traditional MAC schools, the MASCAC schools in Massachusetts. They have a different role than UConn.
The CSUs are hemorrhaging students. Undergraduate enrollment is down 25% in the past decade at ECSU and it is hard to see what can turn enrollment around. The state wants UConn to INCREASE enrollment and build more campus housing in Storrs. Why not take advantage of the underutilized infrastructure at ECSU? There are less than 4k undergrads at ECSU now.

In the 1980s, there was talk of closing ECSU or merging it with UConn.

Reaction Score
The CSUs are hemorrhaging students. Undergraduate enrollment is down 25% in the past decade at ECSU and it is hard to see what can turn enrollment around. The state wants UConn to INCREASE enrollment and build more campus housing in Storrs. Why not take advantage of the underutilized infrastructure at ECSU? There are less than 4k undergrads at ECSU now.

I don’t think extending UConn into Willimantic and taking over ECSU is a good idea for UConn. UConn needs to be growing toward the population and the money in Greater Hartford and beyond. I’ve always felt that Willimantic itself was a major drawback of ECSU. UConn should be focused on Storrs, Hartford and Stamford.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

What I’d like to see is some of the UConn regional campuses, notably Stamford and Hartford, become universities in their own rights more like NC Charlotte, or UMass Lowell. A component of the UConn system but separate entities that offer more than a place to put kids who can’t fit into dorms in Storrs and MBAs taught by pseudo-faculty moonlighting from Aetna and M&T Bank. Make them real universities with real programs and real faculty.
The push to put dorms in Stamford, Hartford, and now Avery Point makes me wonder if this is a long-term goal.

Reaction Score
I don’t think extending UConn into Willimantic and taking over ECSU is a good idea for UConn. UConn needs to be growing toward the population and the money in Greater Hartford and beyond. I’ve always felt that Willimantic itself was a major drawback of ECSU. UConn should be focused on Storrs, Hartford and Stamford.
I agree about the cities, but a decision on what to do with ECSU is coming no matter what due to the enrollment declines.

Reaction Score
I agree about the cities, but a decision on what to do with ECSU is coming no matter what due to the enrollment declines.

Just curious, why is enrollment declining at a time when private schools are unaffordable for most? I would think ECSU would be fine.

Reaction Score
Shrinking high school student population. Private colleges are closing at record numbers.
I didn’t realize it was that dire in CT. In Florida all of the schools are constantly growing. Of course, an education from a Florida state university is a ridiculous bargain. It’s shockingly affordable. One of a small handful of things Florida does really well.

Reaction Score
Just curious, why is enrollment declining at a time when private schools are unaffordable for most? I would think ECSU would be fine.
Think there was a lull in birthrate for a few years and they are college age now.

Reaction Score
All of the CSUs have declining enrollment. Enrollment in Connecticut public 2 and 4 year colleges and universities has declined by 20% from 2018 to 2023 from 113k to 90k. During that time period, UConn enrollment was up ~2%, Western Connecticut was down 27%, Eastern Connecticut was down 24%, Central Connecticut was down 18%, and Southern Connecticut was down 12%. Community Colleges were down 27%. We will see closures and consolidations.

Reaction Score

Because less people are going to college because there are lfewer college age people.

Reaction Score
All of the CSUs have declining enrollment. Enrollment in Connecticut public 2 and 4 year colleges and universities has declined by 20% from 2018 to 2023 from 113k to 90k. During that time period, UConn enrollment was up ~2%, Western Connecticut was down 27%, Eastern Connecticut was down 24%, Central Connecticut was down 18%, and Southern Connecticut was down 12%. Community Colleges were down 27%. We will see closures and consolidations.
Wow. That makes the idea of centralizing the campuses to CCSU in New Britain seem more feasible.

Just call it Connecticut State University and build more dorms and infrastructure. Everyone that wants to stay in their home region can do their first two years at a community college.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This might be true, and would be hilarious.

There was an article late last week that had a quote from a woman who was either a trustee or some kinda Nevada official who was in favor of going to the Pac-12 but who straight up said that they had no idea where the $30M would come from.

Edit: Here it is - UNLV’s broke

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Hartford is quickly heading that way and calling them co-equals are a joke that is going to piss somebody off. Either the Hartford people for not getting enough resources or the Storrs people for Hartford taking resources.

Reaction Score
Wow. That makes the idea of centralizing the campuses to CCSU in New Britain seem more feasible.

Just call it Connecticut State University and build more dorms and infrastructure. Everyone that wants to stay in their home region can do their first two years at a community college.
why break something that isn't broken?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There was an article late last week that had a quote from a woman who was either a trustee or some kinda Nevada official who was in favor of going to the Pac-12 but who straight up said that they had no idea where the $30M would come from.

Edit: Here it is - UNLV’s broke

UConn's chances of getting into the Pac 12 are dependent on the utter stupidity of these universities choosing to fight with each other rather than reaching a reasonable settlement even though the departing Pac 12 schools are footing the bill for whatever happens anyway.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
UConn's chances of getting into the Pac 12 are dependent on the utter stupidity of these universities choosing to fight with each other rather than reaching a reasonable settlement even though the departing Pac 12 schools are footing the bill for whatever happens anyway.

I think we exist outside of the drama here.

They need to get one more full-time member to get to the eight minimum schools. That’s where the drama and expense is going to happen.

We’d be a low-stress add as the ninth football school. If they want to avoid conference raid drama, add an extra time zone and get some exposure to the east coast, we’re an easy add. If they don’t, who cares?

Reaction Score
Because less people are going to college because there are lfewer college age people.
Also less people are going to college period. It's a triple whammy.

1. Fewer kids in this generation.
2. Covid took a bunch of kids out of the mix.
3. We're well below our historical Cold War GI Bill % of degree holders. We're at 25% now, used to be at 50%. Our cohort (Canada, European countries) are still holding strong at 50%. China is pouring a ton of money into their institutions but not making very much headway.

Reaction Score

They need to get one more full-time member to get to the eight minimum schools. That’s where the drama and expense is going to happen.

We’d be a low-stress add as the ninth football school. If they want to avoid conference raid drama, add an extra time zone and get some exposure to the east coast, we’re an easy add. If they don’t, who cares?

Its nice to not really care about the outcome one way or the other for once

Reaction Score

Your data is not current plus job creation in the eastern part of the state is going to bring in workers and their families into the region.

The Connecticut State Colleges and Universities (CSCU) system announced today that the Fall 2024 Preliminary Census Report shows that CT State Community College (CT State) and the four Connecticut State Universities saw an uptick of 4.2% in student enrollment for the 2023-2024
school year.

Nationally, total student enrollment has declined in past years due to the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. Now, CSCU enrollment numbers have begun to see an improvement. This improvement is due in part to targeted recruitment efforts as well increasingly meeting the demands of the diverse demographics the system serves. The CSCU system has adapted to the new realities that students face, offering flexible learning options such as hybrid and online courses.

As a whole, the four Connecticut State Universities (CSUs) have seen an increase of 4.7% in total student enrollment. Individual student enrollment increases at CSU institutions and CT State are as follows:

• Central Connecticut State University (CCSU) at 2.9%

• Eastern Connecticut State University (ECSU) at 9.5%
  • Southern Connecticut State University (SCSU) at 6.3%

• Western Connecticut State University (WCSU) at 0.8%

• CT State Community College (12 campuses) at 3.8%

Reaction Score

That’s why I feel optimistic. At the same time if it doesn’t happen there won’t be any disappointment.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
That’s why I feel optimistic. At the same time if it doesn’t happen there won’t be any disappointment.
It's almost as if...
Capture.JPG

I'm curious what the PAC think their new TV deal will be worth. IF UConn is asked to join, getting a full share at current MWC value (as I can't believe the new PAC will have much higher valuation) translates into what, a 5-6 million max. It ain't Px money but that would help. Buuuuut if it doesn't happen, well there's always the MAC hope of just waiting for something else.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom