Non-Key Tweets | Page 1037 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
The state unis need to stay separate from UConn. I applied to Western and Central as my safeties and got a full ride from Western due to my grades, but ultimately I went out of state for my undergrad (cuz at that time private unis were much cheaper and I wanted to grow up being on my own). For someone today, those state schools provide an affordable alternative. I've no negative perception of Central and hope it can continue to thrive as a state school.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think in state public schools will consolidate before there are any out of state mergers, especially in the Northeast. Look at Connecticut. Do we need Eastern, Western, Southern, Central as well as UConn Hartford, UConn Stamford, UConn Waterbury, UConn Avery Point, as well as UConn?

Completely different situation. How does a kid at WestConn in Danbury that has to work to pay for school attend college at CCSU in New Britain? Where does UConn put kids it wants but does not have room for in Storrs? How does the Fairfield County business community get involved with UConn without the Stamford campus? The satellites are set up to be additive to the respective schools' visions without being particularly expensive.

Consolidating these regional campuses would be pointless.

Reaction Score
I think places like Central are more focused on traditional college programs now. Central really should become a university option to UConn for those who can't get accepted to the Storrs campus. Eastern provides a public liberal arts college option in a smaller campus.
Why does any state have a "University of " and " State University?" Just have one branched state school to pour resources into

I would rather have one big elite school than multiple smaller mediocre ones

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Why does any state have a "University of " and " State University?" Just have one branched state school to pour resources into

You would rob Dr. Pepper from its marketing ploy?! How else will Bosworth find any employment?
Capture.JPG

Reaction Score
Completely different situation. How does a kid at WestConn in Danbury that has to work to pay for school attend college at CCSU in New Britain? Where does UConn put kids it wants but does not have room for in Storrs? How does the Fairfield County business community get involved with UConn without the Stamford campus? The satellites are set up to be additive to the respective schools' visions without being particularly expensive.

I agree that it would be a mistake to take away legitimate four year college options within reasonable driving distances from Connecticut kids. But I would call them all University of Connecticut and make them all pseudo-branches. I think it would raise the profile of the "directional schools" and bring more pride to the UConn name in the state. You may even get kids from out of state to go and pay non-subsidized tuition.

Look at the North Carolina system. We have kids from NJ going to UNC Charlotte and UNC Wilmington. I don't know a lot about the Connecticut state schools, but I'd think they are of similar quality to some of the UNC schools.

Or probably more appropriate since the UNC schools have pretty big enrollments, look at Penn State. Every kid in NJ that applies to Penn State gets accepted in some capacity. Often it's branches, but those branches are actual four year schools with dorms and other students that plan on being their for four years. Seems to give a better option than UConn Hartford.

Reaction Score

because you don't have the means to put everybody in one place and the larger you make it the less elite it becomes.

Reaction Score
I think we are less than 10 years, and possibly less than 5 years, from the first merger of public universities from different states. UConn is crazy not to approach the SUNY system right now, because the SUNY system is an obvious target and Penn State, Rutgers, or someone else will merge with it if UConn doesn't.
The SUNY system isn't even merging with itself, never mind other schools.

Reaction Score
I think in state public schools will consolidate before there are any out of state mergers, especially in the Northeast. Look at Connecticut. Do we need Eastern, Western, Southern, Central as well as UConn Hartford, UConn Stamford, UConn Waterbury, UConn Avery Point, as well as UConn?
You need these schools more than ever now that UConn and other state schools like UConn accept a ton of students from out of state.

Reaction Score
Ding, ding, ding. Exactly. The CSUs serve a different purpose than UConn that attracts top students.
More to the point is top flight state universities are NOT in the business of servicing the STUDENTS of the state. They are in the business of servicing the GOVERNMENT and BUSINESSES of the state.

Not the students, not the parents. They will gladly let you go elsewhere. That they even let you go to the state school for lower prices is a political calculation so that you don't burn down the state house.

edit: their assumption is that your kid is not important, the importance is bringing in somebody else's kid who will take place in the state's economic apparatus.

Reaction Score

I would consolidate Eastern with UConn. 7 miles apart and ECSU's enrollment has declined by 25% over the past decade. Maybe make Eastern the grad campus or have a couple of schools move there. Without Eastern, the rest of the CSU's could compete for those students as they are all battling enrollment declines.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I would consolidate Eastern with UConn. 7 miles apart and ECSU's enrollment has declined by 25% over the past decade. Maybe make Eastern the grad campus or have a couple of schools move there. Without Eastern, the rest of the CSU's could compete for those students as they are all battling enrollment declines.
Doesn't seem fair to the local students.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If they shut down Eastern.

It sounded like he was saying is to just roll the ECSU students and program into part of the Storrs campus. You can keep the students and programs, but it's a 7-mile change in commuting distance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom