Non-Key Tweets | Page 1036 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Some play checkers, others play chess. Yeah, maybe this doesn't exactly belong here, but I think it does because it is illustrative of the bigger visions the flagship and elite academic schools are working towards. They are arent resting. Their ideas are near limitless. Does Mich plant this flag w/o the B1G footprint expansion, seems unlikely. UConn has been big thinkers the past decade....but there are another few rungs to aspire too.

Reaction Score
Some play checkers, others play chess. Yeah, maybe this doesn't exactly belong here, but I think it does because it is illustrative of the bigger visions the flagship and elite academic schools are working towards. They are arent resting. Their ideas are near limitless. Does Mich plant this flag w/o the B1G footprint expansion, seems unlikely. UConn has been big thinkers the past decade....but there are another few rungs to aspire too.

This is stupid to me. U of Michigan can do some type of exchange student arrangement with UCLA or some other school in LA. Public schools should stay in their lanes, or boundaries, as it were.

Reaction Score
Ask a UConn Hockey fan what they think about a student deck.
Nah. You can't compare a football stadium to a hockey arena. I can't anyway. The current concourse area is great to get concessions while still being able to watch the game. A student deck would be a great setup to allow just students to mill around and do what students like to do. It could also be much more cost effective for students. They could have an organized keg setup in their area if they really want to make it cost effective.

Reaction Score
This is stupid to me. U of Michigan can do some type of exchange student arrangement with UCLA or some other school in LA. Public schools should stay in their lanes, or boundaries, as it were.
It's not stupid, it's just not the norm yet.

It is interesting that it's a state school. I wonder if it's still the same entity, or a different one for tax purposes. From what I know, LA doesn't have great MBA options (USC and UCLA are good, not great), but has plenty of money and people wanting MBAs. MBAs are profitable to the school since many tuitions are paid for by employers, professors can be adjunct, and graduates make lots of money.

Higher education is changing. It's better to be out in front. Schools will be closing or having to go downstream for lesser talent as the student population drops. Northeastern will now have a Manhattan branch, Dresel has a branch in Sacramento, Carnegie Mellon in Silicon Valley. I know none of these are state schools.

It would be short-sighted for state schools not to focus on future trends. Michigan has already realized that it's stupid to subsidize out of state students when kids want to come to their school regardless of price. Michigan's out of state tuition/fees and living expenses are over $80k which is on par with most good and elite private schools. UVa is similar. Michigan population is shrinking (or growing negligibly). The university needs to think outside the box.

Reaction Score

It is interesting that it's a state school. I wonder if it's still the same entity, or a different one for tax purposes. From what I know, LA doesn't have great MBA options (USC and UCLA are good, not great), but has plenty of money and people wanting MBAs. MBAs are profitable to the school since many tuitions are paid for by employers, professors can be adjunct, and graduates make lots of money.

Higher education is changing. It's better to be out in front. Schools will be closing or having to go downstream for lesser talent as the student population drops. Northeastern will now have a Manhattan branch, Dresel has a branch in Sacramento, Carnegie Mellon in Silicon Valley. I know none of these are state schools.

It would be short-sighted for state schools not to focus on future trends. Michigan has already realized that it's stupid to subsidize out of state students when kids want to come to their school regardless of price. Michigan's out of state tuition/fees and living expenses are over $80k which is on par with most good and elite private schools. UVa is similar. Michigan population is shrinking (or growing negligibly). The university needs to think outside the box.
Every state has plenty of public education options. No need for State U's to set up shop in another state. Michigan is in the rust belt. Too bad that Southern Cal has nicer weather. I guess if plenty of LA workers want to get a Wharton business degree U Penn could set up a few classrooms in downtown LA. At that level, does it matter whether you get an MBA from UCLA or Michigan? I doubt it.

Of course, if that is the future, UConn needs to set up shop in or around NYC and Boston.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

I would be exceptionally surprised if UM is not a not for profit entity.

This is about branding and growth, nothing less, nothing more.

Reaction Score
Noting Michigan’s expanded LA-based business school plans are unclear (only MBA, also undergrad, other course offerings, further expanded well-regarded LA Executive MBA program, etc), both Ross {Michigan) and Marshall (USCw)
are highly-regarded business schools (undergrad and MBA programs). Perhaps less so among some northeast elites, Wall Streeters, etc, but both top 25 B-schools are far from rubbish nationally and also for many in both Latin America across the Pacific.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
We’ll see how it plays out. Cornell has a campus in NYC now. northeastern has London and Silicon valley. I think more schools with strong financials and strong mgmt will be branching out with their brands. Especially when a billionaire is ready to give them a big start.

Reaction Score
Not CR related at all but Goodwin University seems to be the only institution able to build right along the CT River. There is no more 125 Riverside Drive which despite its dumpy building was a great place to catch a band right on the river. I get the whole UTC donation thing but if The Rent had at least been built on the river, it could have had some character.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I think we are less than 10 years, and possibly less than 5 years, from the first merger of public universities from different states. UConn is crazy not to approach the SUNY system right now, because the SUNY system is an obvious target and Penn State, Rutgers, or someone else will merge with it if UConn doesn't.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think we are less than 10 years, and possibly less than 5 years, from the first merger of public universities from different states. UConn is crazy not to approach the SUNY system right now, because the SUNY system is an obvious target and Penn State, Rutgers, or someone else will merge with it if UConn doesn't.
That’s a wild idea. I don’t see it happening. Maybe Maine and NH or SD\ND, but I don’t see any states of substance combining. We shall see.

I do see the world unfolding like successful large hospitals which plant flags where and when it will work.

Reaction Score
That’s a wild idea. I don’t see it happening. Maybe Maine and NH or SD\ND, but I don’t see any states of substance combining. We shall see.

I do see the world unfolding like successful large hospitals which plant flags where and when it will work.
Everything is relative. I can think of a number of states which might question whether little Connecticut has any substance, whatever that means.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Everything is relative. I can think of a number of states which might question whether little Connecticut has any substance, whatever that means.
Hank, I strongly dislike your posts, but you are not wrong here.

Reaction Score
I think in state public schools will consolidate before there are any out of state mergers, especially in the Northeast. Look at Connecticut. Do we need Eastern, Western, Southern, Central as well as UConn Hartford, UConn Stamford, UConn Waterbury, UConn Avery Point, as well as UConn?

Reaction Score
I think in state public schools will consolidate before there are any out of state mergers, especially in the Northeast. Look at Connecticut. Do we need Eastern, Western, Southern, Central as well as UConn Hartford, UConn Stamford, UConn Waterbury, UConn Avery Point, as well as UConn?
I would say yes. CSUs serve a mission that is a little different than even UConn. Both in cost to student and the caliber of student they accept. You could probably do away with the UConn branches before the CSUs.

Reaction Score
We've already seen consolidation of the directional schools and community colleges into the CSCU system. School closures will be a harder sell but may happen. Feels like we're heading in that direction. The Vermont state schools outside UVM have undergone a bunch of moves over the last few years and I think we're not too far away from closure of one or more.

Reaction Score
I would say yes. CSUs serve a mission that is a little different than even UConn. Both in cost to student and the caliber of student they accept. You could probably do away with the UConn branches before the CSUs.
UConn has invested heavily in the branches lately. Stamford is only growing in importance, they're not going to give up on a Hartford presence, and Avery Point hosts exclusive marine academic programs. Waterbury would be the one I could see getting axed but UConn has actually expanded quite a bit there lately so I don't think that's coming anytime soon.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Would 100% go in the opposite direction. Consolidate administration of the CSU's and beef up UConn branches.

Reaction Score
Would 100% go in the opposite direction. Consolidate administration of the CSU's and beef up UConn branches.
Again the CSUs have a different mission. This where you're working adult population is going to become nurses and school teachers by and large, in addition to your average high schooler who may not be able to get into UConn for grades or other reasons.

Reaction Score
Again the CSUs have a different mission. This where you're working adult population is going to become nurses and school teachers by and large, in addition to your average high schooler who may not be able to get into UConn for grades or other reasons.
I think places like Central are more focused on traditional college programs now. Central really should become a university option to UConn for those who can't get accepted to the Storrs campus. Eastern provides a public liberal arts college option in a smaller campus.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom