Non-Key Tweets | Page 1001 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Yes. Michigan shared a split national championship with Nebraska in 1997. Nebraska was Coaches Poll and Michigan AP. Ushered in the Age of a defined winner starting in 1998 with the BCS era.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
So you are complaining that a non-key tweet has been posted to the non-key tweet thread. OK then.
I’m saying it’s not even worthy of a non-key tweet. The guy doesn’t even live in his mom’s basement in West Virginia

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
People on the B-Yard can be crazy, no question
Nevertheless, how long will ND remain in the ACC if the conference loses key members
I think we’re all certifiable. If ACC collapses I don’t think ND goes back to Big East I think they’ll finally be in the B1G.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think we’re all certifiable. If ACC collapses I don’t think ND goes back to Big East I think they’ll finally be in the B1G.
Or maybe they cut a ridiculously favorable deal with the big 12

Reaction Score
That would make the most sense. Some still believe ND will never give up football "independence." The ACC allowed ND to be a partial football member. I don't see either the B1G or SEC bending over like that. It will be really interesting to see what ND does if the ACC loses key members and ND feels the need to be aligned with the P2.

Reaction Score
Or maybe they cut a ridiculously favorable deal with the big 12
I don't understand what's their problem with the B1G? That seems like the perfect spot for them smack dab in the middle of the conference footprint. I mean they're a stone's throw from MSU, Michigan, Purdue, Indiana, Northwestern, Illinois, and even Ohio State. They are in the middle of the country and even with the coast to coast nature of the B1G, travel would be relatively easy for them because they'd never be more than a 3 hour flight from any of the schools. And the B1G pays well. I don't get it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't understand what's their problem with the B1G? That seems like the perfect spot for them smack dab in the middle of the conference footprint. I mean they're a stone's throw from MSU, Michigan, Purdue, Indiana, Northwestern, Illinois, and even Ohio State. They are in the middle of the country and even with the coast to coast nature of the B1G, travel would be relatively easy for them because they'd never be more than a 3 hour flight from any of the schools. And the B1G pays well. I don't get it.
@TerryD

Reaction Score
Amongst older Irish fans particularly, the past with the Big Ten is remembered...heck, in Irish lore, the past isn't really past.

Notre Dame asked to join the now Big Ten on three occasions and was turned down.

Yost, legendary Michigan coach, led a boycott of Big Ten teams scheduling of the Irish for decades. His reputation is one of being anti catholic. Notre Dame was forced to schedule elsewhere and it became the backbone of their "national" program.

The third rejection from the Big Ten finally led the university to realize what its fan base and alumni already had – three decades of dismissal, hostility, prejudice and rejection had steeled the Irish independent spirit and forced Notre Dame to become the only national program in college football.

But that was ancient past...things have changed...or not.

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The president of Ohio State University said Notre Dame never was invited to join the Big Ten because the university's priests are not good partners, joking that "those damn Catholics" can't be trusted, according to a recording of a meeting he attended late last year.

"We find the remarks most regrettable, particularly regarding Father Joyce, who served Notre Dame and collegiate athletics so well and for so long. President Gee has contacted Father Jenkins to offer an apology that he has accepted," Notre Dame said in a statement.

In the end, necessity may force a marriage...but Irish fans are still cold to the suitor.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
They are self loathing about square states.....its pretty obvious.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
It doesn't matter what the AAC commissioner thinks. Memphis isn't spending the money they're spending to stay in the AAC. In fact, they just got a commitment from the #3 pocket QB in the 2025 class.

It’s still a hole school.

Reaction Score
You would need to review the history of their relationship

Reaction Score
You would need to review the history of their relationship
Irish Fans like to hold to that story, but the truth is something different. Notre Dame has not joined The B1G or any conference because they haven't needed to do so. They can still get a comparable media deal to The P2, maintain homes for all of their non-revenue sports across different conferences, and brand themselves as independent in football. Maybe most important of all is that there are no real barriers to playoff inclusion.

If The ACC falls apart over the next few years, its far more likely that The Irish will negotiate a similar partial membership deal with The Big 12 before going all in with The B1G or SEC. Why I believe that the old Anti-Catholic Boogeyman story is nonsense in 2024 is because I've sat in The Pegula Ice Arena and watched players wearing golden helmets with ND on their chest skate up and down the ice. The funny thing was that on those same uniforms there was a patch that read B1G. When it is mutually beneficial or entirely necessary that is when we'll see ND Football in a conference.

Reaction Score
Irish Fans like to hold to that story, but the truth is something different. Notre Dame has not joined The B1G or any conference because they haven't needed to do so. They can still get a comparable media deal to The P2, maintain homes for all of their non-revenue sports across different conferences, and brand themselves as independent in football. Maybe most important of all is that there are no real barriers to playoff inclusion.

If The ACC falls apart over the next few years, its far more likely that The Irish will negotiate a similar partial membership deal with The Big 12 before going all in with The B1G or SEC. Why I believe that the old Anti-Catholic Boogeyman story is nonsense in 2024 is because I've sat in The Pegula Ice Arena and watched players wearing golden helmets with ND on their chest skate up and down the ice. The funny thing was that on those same uniforms there was a patch that read B1G. When it is mutually beneficial or entirely necessary that is when we'll see ND Football in a conference.
My take is that there indeed was anti-Catholic bias by at least some in the Big Ten back in the 1930-40s, lead by Fielding Yost, head football coach and AD of Michigan. So Notre Dame could not join the Big Ten then. Naturally, there was still bitterness after Yost died and the Big Ten were in a position to accept Notre Dame. So Notre Dame remained independent, and it became part of their identity. As time went on, it wasn’t feasible to remain independent in most sports, but remained independent in football.

Today they are independent in name only with football. The ghost of Fielding Yost is long gone. The Big Ten has pursued Notre Dame a couple of times since the 1990s. Notre Dame faculty and administration warmed up to the idea, but not so much the fans and influential donors. While there are some that still harbor bitterness that is silly at this point, a lot of fans simply hold on to the tradition, identity, and that Notre Dame has fared well in football and financially. When the last vestige of independence no longer serves Notre Dame, they will go full in with the Big Ten or some other conference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom