No Point Guard | Page 2 | The Boneyard

No Point Guard

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The only traditional PG skill YConn needs is a PG with a tight handle who can dribble through pressure.

All other traditional PG skills can be handled by committee.

But you need one kid who can move the ball with the dribble when teams like the Johnnies are overaying every passing lane and making advancing the ball via the pass a royal PITA.

Reaction Score
They haven't shown any point guard skills to anyone and nobody is talking about it.
We go nowhere without someone who can be that man --an extension of the coach on the floor with superb ball handling skills. Not Jackson or Hawkins from what I have observed.
Not Newton or Diarra. What a joke.

The only joke I see here is you starting this thread. What is up with you? Newton is going to be as good as Cole with a higher ceiling. He may not be the perfect PG but neither was Cole in all reality. And can’t beat 6’5 either and he will get to the hole easier.

Wow what a joke!

Reaction Score
They haven't shown any point guard skills to anyone and nobody is talking about it.
We go nowhere without someone who can be that man --an extension of the coach on the floor with superb ball handling skills. Not Jackson or Hawkins from what I have observed.
Not Newton or Diarra. What a joke.

Thank you for your interest in UConn basketball, coach!

Reaction Score
The only traditional PG skill YConn needs is a PG with a tight handle who can dribble through pressure.

All other traditional PG skills can be handled by committee.

But you need one kid who can move the ball with the dribble when teams like the Johnnies are overaying every passing lane and making advancing the ball via the pass a royal PITA.

PG with handle under control for sure but we also improve handling pressure with our size. The whole guard unit is 6’1 to 6’6 and can throw passes over the press as well. No worries.

Reaction Score
When DH says that Jackson is a potential first-round NBA pick, what position do you think he talking about if not PG? Jackson hasn't nearly the offensive weapons to be an NBA 2? The scouts certainly picture him as a highly-athletic PG with distributive skills and the height to see over NBA defenses. The concern this year is not that we lack a PG but whether Newton and Jackson will be able to mesh leadership roles when both are on the floor. Some here see no problem in having two floor generals. I find it hard to picture.

Reaction Score
When DH says that Jackson is a potential first-round NBA pick, what position do you think he talking about if not PG? Jackson hasn't nearly the offensive weapons to be an NBA 2? The scouts certainly picture him as a highly-athletic PG with distributive skills and the height to see over NBA defenses. The concern this year is not that we lack a PG but whether Newton and Jackson will be able to mesh leadership roles when both are on the floor. Some here see no problem in having two floor generals. I find it hard to picture.
It could lead to conflict but there is plenty of reason for optimism based on our past.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
PG with handle under control for sure but we also improve handling pressure with our size. The whole guard unit is 6’1 to 6’6 and can throw passes over the press as well. No worries.

Well, I'm not being wishy washy on this topic. I'm taking a strong stand and am for UConn having a PG.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Nobody is going to be stupid enough to press this team. It would be suicide. Jackson and Newton throwing long passes to Adama and Johnson for dunks or to Hawk or Alleyne for open 3s.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Nobody?

Reminds me of this one.

My wife said nothing would make her
happier than getting a diamond necklace for her birthday. So I got her nothing.
This change works better imo.

Reaction Score
Word from insiders is we don't have a point guard. With all the excitement about the starting lineup we don't have a season without a point guard.
What would last season have been without Cole? The Greeks aren't paying him because he's a. Smuck. Best point guard in BE last year will be sorely missed without a ball handling replacement for him.
Jackson and Hawkins haven't ever shown they can replace Cole.
Was this a joke post? We have both Newton and Diarra with Jackson helping out as a Point forward. As long as we have good ball movement we have enough scorers we will be fine.

Reaction Score
No one wants to see UConn be a successful winning program more than me.
No one wants to see Jackson and Newton be the best point guards in the country more than me. They have the potential to be just that good.
Hawkins could have improved his handle over the summer with CP3 Camp and all.
Diara could have done the same thing if he has the attitude like his brother.
The fun of this for all of us is we don't know and we will soon be finding out and I'm getting edgey.

Reaction Score
Last thing I would do is disparage Jackson.There is no end to his upside.. After Donavan Clingin he is my favorite player on the team.

Reaction Score

I don’t think Newton is that level of athlete. He blocked a shot, but I see nothing to indicate he’s a better athlete than pretty much anyone else on the team. His athletic ability seems to be about average for this level. I actually find Newton’s old man game to be his big advantage. Seems like a Paul Pierce type. He’s a hell of a player, but nothing like AJax athletically from what I’ve see.

Last edited:

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Team passing is probably what this team does best, not concerned. Playing devils though you do have a point on the leadership of Cole. This team doesn’t really have an extension of the coach on the court. Also many new pieces only returning 2 starters. There are negatives.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom