No Point Guard | Page 6 | The Boneyard

No Point Guard

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Not surprising since Hurley has said he'd do that.

Conventional wisdom dictates that Tristen Newton, the high-scoring senior who transferred from East Carolina in April, will be the Huskies’ starting point guard. Maybe so, but Newton may be more valuable as an elite scorer who can take the ball to the hole and/or knock down 3’s. Hassan Diarra, the gritty New Yorker with the clutch gene, would figure to be Newton’s back-up at point. But again, that’s narrowing down Diarra’s abilities a bit too much.

“The beauty of guys like Tristen and Hass,” said Hurley, “is they can play on the ball and get you into stuff, create for others, but they’re comfortable playing off the ball, letting Dre take it and create in transition, or create in the ball-screen game, where Dre is a really outstanding passer and creator.”

Ah yes, Dre. That’s Andre Jackson, the versatile, 6-foot-6 wing who can also man the point. He may not match Pistol Pete Maravich, one of his idols, as a ballhandler, but Jackson proved last season that he can facilitate on the fast break, find his big man on the low post and get his team into its offense.

“Dre will be on the ball a lot,” Hurley promised. “He’ll be facilitating around an outstanding 5-man (Adama Sanogo) and three other guys who can shoot and score. It’s going to create driving lanes for him, and passing options.”

Last year we had to put the ball in Dre’s hand at the top in the half court because he was the only one who could make a clean entry pass to Sanogo. With Sanogo being the center piece, John Wooden candidate, I expect to see more of this in the half court.

Reaction Score
While Andre has some point guard skills, there has to be a starting spot for Newton given his averages of 17 plus and 5 last season. I would be really surprised if both aren't in the starting lineup, with Andre operating as a point forward in addition to Newton handling a portion of the point guard duties. I fully expect both to start.
The starting PG-SF will either be Newton/Hawkins/Andre, or Andre/Hawkins/Newton.

I’m fine with Andre running point forward, since he’s the clear leader and best passer on the team. Newton and Hawkins can be the iso guys on the perimeter when we need a bucket. Andre just has to get them the ball and hit his 3s when they’re open

Although I’m not sure how much we need a traditionally defined point guard when we have Adama Sanogo in the paint. Throw him the ball and run the offense from there

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
IMO Andre's best NBA prospect is as a PG.

Most would agree including DH.

The question is whether having AJ be the best PG on this year's UConn team is best for this team's chances of going deep in to March.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Ppl really pull their own card when they say whoever is playing pg will be exposed when a team presses us. Are we trying to find one player who can dribble their way through an entire press on his own?

A lineup with Jackson and Newton with their height, dribbling and passing ability will likely be great at breaking presses. If you have some argument as to why Jackson shouldn’t be running our half court offense very offense then maybe I’ll listen.

Reaction Score
Most would agree including DH.

The question is whether having AJ be the best PG on this year's UConn team is best for this team's chances of going deep in to March.
I don't think anyone should look at it that way. This isn't the quarterback position where only one guy can play QB. At any given time we'll likely have 2 guys who can operate as lead guard on the floor.

AJ & Newton
Newton & Diarra
Diarra & AJ

There doesn't need to be a traditional PG leading the team.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
The best way to break as press is passing out of it. Our length will help a lot. Attempting to dribble out of a trap is a recipe for turnovers for almost every ballhandler.
That's true but like so many other points it is not an "either/or" situation but a "both/and". If the opponent over plays your passing game you have to be able to do both. We shall see if this is workable when the rubber meets the road in reality.

Reaction Score
Don't get this hysteria about not having a classic- ball dominant-pass first PG.. The offensive system that DH has recruited to and is implementing benefits from multiple ball handlers who can pass/catch/assist/ get their shot when needed. Newton/Alleyne/Diarra/AJax can provide plenty of ball handling proficiency. Newton 's resume speaks for itself.. Is he a CG with excellent ball skills?Or a PG? Don't care--He can deliver the goods. Obviously, DH is comfortable with him/AJax(and others) initiating the offense when needed. More concerning to me would be.. Can we break a press thrown at us by a pressing team like ST Johns with the ball handlers we will have on the floor.. I believe DH has that covered with this roster. Can the four guys on the floor keep our Bigs happy by dumping/ooping balls down to them in their spots? Yes
Exactly, I couldn’t agree more, some of these cats in here just say wild . We haven’t had a pass first PG since Taliek brown in the mid 2000s

Reaction Score
IMO Andre's best NBA prospect is as a PG.
It is interesting to think about given the shift towards positionless basketball in the NBA. What you want NBA teams to see in him is a guy that can hopefully guard all 5 positions, can handle the ball, and can drive to the rim successfully. He won’t be playing PG exclusively in college and won’t be our primary PG, but at least on some possessions he can show he’s capable of running the point with Hawkins/Newton as off the off-ball guard, which I do feel would give him the best chance at being a first round pick.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
New Article from Borges. How UConn men's basketball coach Dan Hurley will manage roster built entirely with his recruits

"Interestingly, Hurley said his vision for this year's team is having Jackson facilitate, with Hawkins and transfer Tristen Newton as scoring wings, a four-man (likely Alex Karaban or Samson Johnson, or maybe Nahiem Alleyne if the Huskies go small) that can space the floor, and Sanogo in the middle with Clingan his backup."

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Reaction Score
Abc Perfection GIF by The Bachelorette

Reaction Score
New Article from Borges. How UConn men's basketball coach Dan Hurley will manage roster built entirely with his recruits

"Interestingly, Hurley said his vision for this year's team is having Jackson facilitate, with Hawkins and transfer Tristen Newton as scoring wings, a four-man (likely Alex Karaban or Samson Johnson, or maybe Nahiem Alleyne if the Huskies go small) that can space the floor, and Sanogo in the middle with Clingan his backup."

Discuss amongst yourselves.

It's the best way to play the game with this roster. It's probably the best way

Putting Jackson on the wing is an instantaneous double-team because he still can't shoot. With him as PG, we're playing to his strength as a facilitator. I would much rather have a 6'7 guy handling the ball and passing over the defense than a 5'10 PG who can get swallowed up by defenses. They both can work with a high skill level... but the ceiling is much higher with Jackson at PG.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Putting Jackson on the wing is an instantaneous double-team because he still can't shoot. With him as PG, we're playing to his strength as a facilitator. I would much rather have a 6'7 guy handling the ball and passing over the defense than a 5'10 PG who can get swallowed up by defenses. They both can work with a high skill level... but the ceiling is much higher with Jackson at PG.
Yes, it’s why I thought the arguments here were silly. He will probably guard the SF spot. He’s going to play up top, middle of the court on offense. Newton could do that, but Newton can be a wing and Jackson isn’t really great in that role. Now, will we switch and move him and Newton to generate mismatches? Of course. I expect both of them to bring the ball up, probably together and nobody would press against that. Won’t be surprised if Jackson leads the team in assists. Also won’t be surprised if Newton is right there with him.

Reaction Score

Dom Amore: Dan Hurley, UConn men looking to fill big shoes at point guard with Tristen Newton, Hassan Diarra

Hurley, in his fifth year and now with the last of the players he inherited gone, has 13 scholarship players of his choosing, assembling a team he is certain is talented and deep enough to do big things, and leave a positive mark in March. But to do that, to take advantage the Huskies’ strengths, he needs to find a replacement for Cole at point guard, or else fall into the old don’t-know-what-you’ve-got-til-it’s-gone lament.

Reaction Score

Jackson has really good passing/vision instincts but there's a lot more to being a point guard than passing. It is probably our best use of him but I'll worry about him being a true floor general until I actually see it.

Reaction Score
Man, this thread is starting to make me nervous as it evolves. I sure hope AJ as primary floor general isn't out of necessity. Has he improved his handle in the offseason?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Jackson has really good passing/vision instincts but there's a lot more to being a point guard than passing. It is probably our best use of him but I'll worry about him being a true floor general until I actually see it.
I don't think they want anybody to be a traditional floor general, not really. But we will see how it plays out. No matter what it's going to be quite interesting for us as fans, because this team could really play a very different style than UConn teams ever have before. I'm excited to see it.

Reaction Score

Agreed. Good PGs like RJ have a kind of innate sense of the game for when things need to slow down, when we need to push the ball, when to feed the hot hand... stuff like that. I don't think that can really be taught the way shooting or ballhandling can. I suspect that without a veteran like RJ, Hurley and the staff might need to take a bit more role in dictating pace than before.

I imagine in a slow, grind it out game, we're going to see a lot more Newton facilitating.

Reaction Score
Man, this thread is starting to make me nervous as it evolves. I sure hope AJ as primary floor general isn't out of necessity. Has he improved his handle in the offseason?

It isn't out of necessity. We have a dude on the roster who averaged 17/5/5 as a PG last year in a pretty good conference, and we STILL want to play AJ as the point guard.

Guys who didn't average 17/5/5 in the AAC: Jalen Adams, Christian Vital, Alterique Gilbert, Rodney Purvis... He's a more than capable player. I don't think he'll end up as an Adams or Vital level player, but the kid can ball.

Reaction Score
It isn't out of necessity. We have a dude on the roster who averaged 17/5/5 as a PG last year in a pretty good conference, and we STILL want to play AJ as the point guard.

Guys who didn't average 17/5/5 in the AAC: Jalen Adams, Christian Vital, Alterique Gilbert, Rodney Purvis... He's a more than capable player. I don't think he'll end up as an Adams or Vital level player, but the kid can ball.
Ok, thanks for letting me know everything will be ok. We can't afford a big risk this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom