No Point Guard | Page 7 | The Boneyard

No Point Guard

Reaction Score
With all this talk, it’s important to remember that almost all coaches “hate” their teams at this point in the season. Everything looks a mess for the first couple weeks of practice and they do, indeed, think they are doomed.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I find it interesting that these articles might confirm what the OP was hearing. Andre isn’t a pg in the traditional sense, and they’re talking up newton more like he’s playing a wing role. I hope this means Andre has taken a serious leap as a scoring threat with the ball, or I doubt this works.

Reaction Score
We'll know by Nov 27th whether we have a big point guard problem or not but all teams have their ups and downs even with the so called good ones. Jackson is more than adequate just a prediction.

Reaction Score
Presumably this year will look pretty similar to last year at the point. Two capable players who will split time running point and facilitating.

Reaction Score
Presumably this year will look pretty similar to last year at the point. Two capable players who will split time running point and facilitating.
Make that three. Diarra should be more capable than Gaffney or Diggins. If nothing else, we have more depth at the position than last year when we were begging for a second ball handler.

Reaction Score
Make that three. Diarra should be more capable than Gaffney or Diggins. If nothing else, we have more depth at the position than last year when we were begging for a second ball handler.
Don’t disagree, I was specifically talking about the starting lineup and how it will work when Newton and Jackson are on the floor.

Reaction Score
I think we need to take a step back here. Our options are a proven veteran D1 point guard who averaged 17/5 last year, or our homegrown captain who was by far the best passer and facilitator on the team last year.

Both solid options.

Someone brought up a point about how RJ was smart and could set pace well. And true we won’t have that at his level again. But he was a 5th year player. It’s likely we won’t have a guy at that maturity level or age for a while. And let’s not forget RJ often turned the ball over because he got trapped near sidelines and was too small to get the ball out. That shouldn’t be an issue with a 6’5 or 6’6 PG.

There are gives and takes. We’re taking more than we’re giving with the Newton/AJax/Diarra rotation over RJ/Gaffney. And our primary offensive set will be throw the ball in the post and spread the floor. If they hit their threes, you could put anyone that can dribble out there.

Reaction Score
Someone brought up a point about how RJ was smart and could set pace well. And true we won’t have that at his level again. But he was a 5th year player. It’s likely we won’t have a guy at that maturity level or age for a while. And let’s not forget RJ often turned the ball over because he got trapped near sidelines and was too small to get the ball out. That shouldn’t be an issue with a 6’5 or 6’6 PG.

RJ averaged 1.9 TOs per game (2.3 per 40). FANTASTIC number for an overworked, small PG. About as good as you can expect, honestly. Yeah, he got trapped a bit, but it wasn't really much of an issue. And IMO the issue was with everyone else more than RJ. When your PG gets trapped towards the corner, your wings need to instinctively create a halfcourt and sideline right angle for outlet options. Our guys did not do that.

Compare those numbers to 3.5 for Newton as a PG (4.0 per 40), and 2.0 for Jackson as a wing (2.7 per 40). They may have height to pass over double-teams, but neither of them has half of the 1v1 ballhandling ability RJ does.

We are definitely going to be turning the ball over more at the point than last year. That's yet another reason why playing fast, fast, fast is going to be key. Newton and Jackson both have strength in the open court. Play to those strengths, accept the TO, and make up for it with easy fast break buckets.

Reaction Score
How much has Hawk’s handle improved this year? How much has Hawk improved overall this year. Vital component, because if he can actually dribble the ball without TO’s it’s a big deal. Hasn’t shown it yet.

Reaction Score
Started this with the hope that someone will step up to the challenge and become the team leader. Andre Jackson is the most logical. He could set the tone on both ends of the floor.

The biggest challenge is will we be able to play team defense at the level that the team needs to win . Defense wins games..

I will live and die with the results. GO HUSKIES

Reaction Score
Started this with the hope that someone will step up to the challenge and become the team leader. Andre Jackson is the most logical. He could set the tone on both ends of the floor.

The biggest challenge is will we be able to play team defense at the level that the team needs to win . Defense wins games..

Agreed. Defense does win games but we've been a great defensive team for 2 years with major offensive limitations which led to 2 first round exits in March

Andre is a great versatile defender. Hawkins showed signs at the end of last season of being a solid defender. Sanogo is Sanogo. Let's hope Newton and the PFs buy in and commit to defense. We won't be as good as last year defensively, but if we can be good enough then that's fine

Using Kenpom, all champions over the last 5 years had a top 10 offense. Only one (Virginia in 2019) had a top 10 defense. Of course defense is critical and bad defensive teams won't win consistently, but in today's game offense is more important and I'd rather have great offense/decent defense than great defense/decent offense

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Agreed. Defense does win games but we've been a great defensive team for 2 years with major offensive limitations which led to 2 first round exits in March

Andre is a great versatile defender. Hawkins showed signs at the end of last season of being a solid defender. Sanogo is Sanogo. Let's hope Newton and the PFs buy in and commit to defense. We won't be as good as last year defensively, but if we can be good enough then that's fine
Using Kenpom, all champions over the last 5 years had a top 10 offense. Only one (Virginia in 2019) had a top 10 defense. Of course defense is critical and bad defensive teams won't win consistently, but in today's game offense is more important and I'd rather have great offense/decent defense than great defense/decent offense
That has to be the most profound insight on how the game has changed backed by fact that I have seen in some time. Great post!

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

Hopefully the team was doing their boneyard homework.

Reaction Score
I have been reading this post for days, for some reason. The idea that we don't have a point guard is laughable. Richie Springs is a point guard. We just haven't seen him play. Adama Sanogo is a point guard when moving downhill with weak kneed defenders in front of him. Andre Jackson is a point guard, who is still trying to figure out how to shoot. Hawkins is a point guard who can't dribble in the open floor more than twice but we don't need him to do that. Samson Johnson is a point guard but again our sample size is limited. Then there is Newton, an actual point guard who had 5 assists last season. And Diarra. And Clingan who is a 70 foot tall point guard. And Karaban who once knew a point guard. And Joey C and Alleyne who could fill that role if needed and the Roumogluo person who as a euro player invented the euro step so by definition is a point guard. I think we have point guards.

Reaction Score
At that height he's going to have to duck so he doesn't hit his head on the Jumbotron. :)
He need to work on keeping his dribble low. He has a tendency to allow his dribble to get 10ft high.

Reaction Score
He need to work on keeping his dribble low. He has a tendency to allow his dribble to get 10ft high.
He fixed his dribble over the summer. Everyone fixed everything over the summer. That’s what summers are for.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He fixed his dribble over the summer. Everyone fixed everything over the summer. That’s what summers are for.
That and adding solid muscle.

Reaction Score
I'll be the most unhappy guy on earth if someone on this team is not up to the challange.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom