No more talk about patience, empty cupboards, and rebuilding. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

No more talk about patience, empty cupboards, and rebuilding.

Reaction Score
Joe Harasymiak, Andrew Breiner, Rob Ambrose...all of them have the capacity to improve the program, and none of them would ever be able to bring a 4-star recruit here...
I actually like all three of those options. I believe over time they could nab a few four star recruits though.

Reaction Score
Your stupidity clogs up the board and deters people with actual solutions from entering into the conversation.

Spitting out impossible solutions that come from a place devoid of actual knowledge of college football is much worse than keeping quiet.
It took you quite a while to spit out a solution to a coach replacement though....googling is fun when you spend most of the day trying to come up with options....though all three you came up with were solid choices

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
It took you quite a while to spit out a solution to a coach replacement though....googling is fun when you spend most of the day trying to come up with options....though all three you came up with were solid choices

Your buddy is putting a lot of strawman arguments in my mouth, about wanting to keep Edsall for 10 years and being okay with losing every week. None of them are true. A coaching change can be made, and the new coach can improve the quality of the program, but it will never happen on the backs of four-star recruits.

Reaction Score
True, though getting one or two a year isn't impossible with the right coach, unlikely, yes, but not impossible with the right coach here. I do like the young coaches you suggested and with some success can probably lure a solid recruit here

Reaction Score
You want a better life in the AAC? Look at AAC teams that beat us. That's right, they do it with 2 and 3 star players...they have good coaches who are good at identifying talent, and they are able to craft a modern scheme. Your obsession with 4-star players being the end-all be-all of how a team is turned around is so far off base. It's so infuriating arguing with people who don't know jack about this level of football and don't know jack about recruiting, but think they're geniuses.

Hey brain man
Your buddy is putting a lot of strawman arguments in my mouth, about wanting to keep Edsall for 10 years and being okay with losing every week. None of them are true. A coaching change can be made, and the new coach can improve the quality of the program, but it will never happen on the backs of four-star recruits.

Hey genius, strawman arguments, c'mon. We got you admit a coaching change can be made now we somehow someway need to convince you 4-star is higher and better than 3-star. If it doesn't happen you can go with Edsall to his next gig. I don't give a rats ass what you say about solutions now because nothing you have will get to even a winning record. Its the AD's job to get us that coach not mine. Don't know jack about football? Can you tell us with that incredible intellect what gets us to the next level. Absolutely nothing. You are a loser.

Other AAC teams have 4-star players because they are rated consistently higher with their recruiting classes. Top 50 and some better. I'm not talking an entire starting line-up of 4-stars, but 3 or 4 on either side of the ball would make all the difference. About don't know jack about level of football and recruiting, one needs just to take that eye test each and every week. That's the torture rack

Reaction Score
You want a better life in the AAC? Look at AAC teams that beat us. That's right, they do it with 2 and 3 star players...they have good coaches who are good at identifying talent, and they are able to craft a modern scheme. Your obsession with 4-star players being the end-all be-all of how a team is turned around is so far off base. It's so infuriating arguing with people who don't know jack about this level of football and don't know jack about recruiting, but think they're geniuses.

It's so infuriating arguing with you period. Don't know jack about football and recruiting and just who are you, spokeman for the group. Are you recruiter or former coach. I don't think so so STFU. Your constant BS doesn't enlighten me at all. You are a mental midget as well trying to defend yourself with cowardly statements about the state of the program. Just criticize the program if you dare. Just say it sucks like a lot of us. I dare you. If you do I'll respect you, if not won't. Strawman arguments, that makes me the scarecrow, you are the cowardly lion, the other guy might be the tin man.

Reaction Score
Joe Harasymiak, Andrew Breiner, Rob Ambrose...all of them have the capacity to improve the program, and none of them would ever be able to bring a 4-star recruit here...

Always liked Ambrose, but Matt Campbell at Toledo, Roper at Cincy, he's the OC there and Norvelle at ASU, the OC there. Good luck to us. On to another thread.

Reaction Score

All very good choices and they know the challenges faced in this region. Headed to Fordham this Saturday to watch Fordham and Colgate. And, BTW, Dan Hunt is a good addition to your list.

Reaction Score
No coach will be able to bring 4-star recruits here.

Not one.

Painting me as someone who wants to keep Edsall around for 10 years is rich considering the fact that I started the thread asking people who they want to see replace him within the next year or two.

The program can clearly be run much better than it is. That does not involve 4-star recruits. Your mental fixation on something that is never gong to happen regardless of who the coach is, well, it's getting weird at this point.

Seriously, we'll lose every week unless we get 4-star recruits? I'm curious to hear how your brain approaches everyday life situations.
We could get two stars that are better than four stars. Doesn’t matter about the stars matters about the players skill and talent

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
STOP, STOP with the 3-star upper level 3 star or high quality octane 3 star call them what you want you will not get the RESULTS needed to be successful in college football. The next guy needs to get the 4 star recruits like I said and that just to be competitive in this league let alone another league. The next guy needs to be greedy MANIAC
at recruiting for us to get better. Aim high and higher than everyone in this league and maybe just maybe we will be successful. Enough with just getting by, because the league has passed us by and the current regime did not get it done. The staff failed with zero results.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Sorry. You just don't.

We were in the Fiesta Bowl and we weren't getting 4 star kids. You think we're going to get them now??? Sure thing, fella.

We need to target and land as many 5.5 - 5.7 RR kids we can get (in other words, solid to high level 3 star kids). Those kids will come here and those kids can win football games. Or you can waste your time offering 4 star kids that don't want to come to a 1-7 AAC team and watch next year be worse. Your choice. Actually, thankfully it's NOT your choice...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
We’re never getting four star recruits. My god. If that’s what you’re holding out for, you’re rooting for the wrong program.

You're wasting your time. People like that weren't a part of the boneyard when we did statistical analysis ad nauseam to show just how few of those kids there are and how much fewer of them go to the G5 schools.

He doesn't get it. He likely never will. Unfortunately, we can't help him...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
True, though getting one or two a year isn't impossible with the right coach, unlikely, yes, but not impossible with the right coach here. I do like the young coaches you suggested and with some success can probably lure a solid recruit here

Yes, one or two 4 star recruits a year isn't impossible.

It's highly unlikely on a 1-7 team that has had about 7 losing years in a row, but not impossible.

So what you are actually saying, by subtraction, is that our recruiting classes that surround the one or two 4star recruits will be.... wait for it......

.... primarily 3 stars or less. I agree. Thanks...

Reaction Score
Yes, 1 or 2 a year isn't impossible.

It's highly unlikely on a 1-7 team that has had about 7 losing years in a row, but not impossible.

So what you are actually saying, by subtraction, is that our recruiting classes that surround the one or two 4star recruits will be.... wait for it.

.... primarily 3 stars or less. I agree. Thanks...
We can get three star players and get a solid team just let things build up. We can get solid four star players I know we will. I don’t mind we just need players that are bruts and come out with a winning attitude and want to demolish teams. Learning process sucks but we will get there

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
We can get three star players and get a solid team just let things build up. We can get solid four star players I know we will. I don’t mind we just need players that are bruts and come out with a winning attitude and want to demolish teams. Learning process sucks but we will get there

The worst part is that I know exactly what Edsall is doing. I'm not happy about it, but I understand it.

He's playing for 2020. The freshmen and sophomores will be juniors and seniors respectively. Players like Kevon Jones and Travis Jones will be monsters. We'll go bowling again.

But it means that we're not trying to win right now with our best available players. Proof of that was Brice McAllister, who was pushed out to UMass and was better in the secondary than anyone we currently have. It sucks to waste season ticket money for two years to win again. But Edsall is the slow and steady guy. Still, I hate not playing the best players. It's a poor philosophy...

Reaction Score
The worst part is that I know exactly what Edsall is doing. I'm not happy about it, but I understand it.

He's playing for 2020. The freshmen and sophomores will be juniors and seniors respectively. Players like Kevon Jones and Travis Jones will be monsters. We'll go bowling again.

But it means that we're not trying to win right now with our best available players. Proof of that was Brice McAllister, who was pushed out to UMass and was better in the secondary than anyone we currently have. It sucks to waste season ticket money for two years to win again. But Edsall is the slow and steady guy. Still, I hate not playing the best players. It's a poor philosophy...
That’s how Edsall always was though. We would have a bowl team then we would be down for a year then we would have another bowl team. Looking at Edsalls records of when he was here the first time the philosophy was the same

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Hey superhero, Einstein wannabe, it doesn't take a brain to understand whats going on with the program. I know nothing about college football my ass and your gods gift because you have brain. C'mon man. Sounds to me you are giving up saying 4-star recruits are impossible. Nothing is impossible. Where there is a will there's a way. AD Dave is capable of finding that guy to get those recruits otherwise settle for mediocrity for years to come.

Everyone on this board cares about the program or they wouldn't be here, but we can't settle for mediocrity year after year.

I think you are on to something, but why stop at 4 star recruits? Why not get 5 star recruits? Why not go head to head with Alabama for every player in their recruiting class? That should go well.

Reaction Score
I think you are on to something, but why stop at 4 star recruits? Why not get 5 star recruits? Why not go head to head with Alabama for every player in their recruiting class? That should go well.

Need 3 or 4 on offennse and defense to turn this thing around. I'm greedy, but it would be a start.

Reaction Score
Need 3 or 4 on offennse and defense to turn this thing around. I'm greedy, but it would be a start.
Agree that a few impact players can make all the difference. I'd start with Krawjewski and get some free reps at the end of the season.

Reaction Score

In the class of 2018 the entire AAC got commitments from four 4 star players. Three of them to Cincinnati. (1 to UCF). This is out of over 300 recruits. And no 5 star players. People looking for an infusion of 4 star players might be waiting a long time.

Reaction Score
In the class of 2018 the entire AAC got commitments from four 4 star players. Three of them to Cincinnati. (1 to UCF). This is out of over 300 recruits. And no 5 star players. People looking for an infusion of 4 star players might be waiting a long time.

... and the three to Cincy were Ohio kids and the one to UCF was from Florida.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
The sky is not falling. We knew this season would be terrible. They have exceeded expectations in that regard; however, we will get better. Here's why:

1. UConn is a good brand. Good 2* and 3* players will want to play for us.
2. The AAC is the best of the G5 conferences. If they expand to 6 teams for playoffs, AAC is in the catbird seat.
3. Our young players are getting a ton of playing time this year. They will get bigger, stronger, and better educated.
4. Edsall is not perfect, but he can move our program from terrible to respectable. He did it before and he is doing it now.
5. Programs with worse histories have turned things around. It is the nature of sport. The tide will turn. Don't lose hope.

Reaction Score
All of this talk about attracting four-star recruits...

The ability to recruit is a desirable coaching attribute, but I think the ability to think outside the box and develop available talent is more important. A case in point: Travis Kelce, now the Kansas City Chiefs' highly productive tight end (and thus a darling of fantasy football fans), was rated as only a two-star recruit coming out of Cleveland Heights, OH, where he played quarterback. Someone on the Cincy coaching staff had the good sense to recognize that Kelce's physical gifts and talents were better suited to playing tight end. Former two-star Kelce went in the first round to the Chiefs after a stellar college career. There have been plenty of other unheralded kids at UC who exceeded all expectations.

Cincy, sandwiched as it is between the B1G, ACC, and SEC, isn't in recruiting heaven. It's long had to make do with the scraps and crumbs its wealthier P5 neighbors leave at the table. What Cincy did benefit from is a recent string of innovative and effective coaches (excluding retiree Tommy Tuberville, who enjoyed a lucrative four-year golfing vacation at our considerable expense). I hope Cincy's current coach excels as well. And if he does, unlike the others, I hope he opts to stay.

It doesn't matter how much talent UConn or any other school is able to attract if the coaching staff isn't equipped or inclined to make the very best use of it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom