No more talk about patience, empty cupboards, and rebuilding. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

No more talk about patience, empty cupboards, and rebuilding.

Reaction Score
Question did Randy Edsall tell Lashlee what he can call? The offense is night and day from last year to this year.

There were reports/rumor/innuendo on here and elsewhere that Randy became more involved in the offense as the year went on and was one potential reason why RL decided he was a short timer here. Heck, Randy was involved in play calling w/ all his previous OC's @ UConn (Ambrose, Moorhead, etc...) - this is not new behavior.

... the QBs are also night and day from last year to this year.

As an aside - UConn's total offense ranking this year is significantly higher than SMU this year (by like 30 spots). I liked RL from a recruiting perspective but he wasn't a wonder-boy. There was a reason he left Malzahn besides the narrative that he needed to prove himself.

Reaction Score
UMASS had the better secondary. They hit harder on running plays and were better in coverage. Edsall played conservative and if not for the holding call this game would have swung in UMASS's favor earlier. Edsall spent the game walking up and down the sideline with hood on talking to his headset. No interaction with the team. I am not sure at this point that the players care if they win or lose watching them on the sidelines. This team needs leaders badly and I don't see any. Such a pathetic state of affairs.

Concerning the players, this is spot on. Their body language speaks volumes. Team dynamics were non-existent this week. They were flat. The number of players suiting-up who truly seem to give a hoot, shrinks more each week. And for those still buying in, giving everything they've got to every play, every practice, every game, every promise... It's honestly become pretty hard to watch.

Reaction Score
The players who bought in and are giving it all every game are getting fed up with it too.. pretty soon those players who give a crap and are still buying in will give up.. its dwindling down now to an I don’t care anymore attitude..
The oline is busting their butts every game.. i hope they don’t give up too like the rest of the team seems to have .. I feel the defense is getting slightly better at times but not all are buying in or bought in.. lots of discord between the players on offense and defense and between the defense themselves., and that’s what you saw when you watched the tape back .. jussaying is right..we are in trouble and someone better take notice..

Reaction Score
There were reports/rumor/innuendo on here and elsewhere that Randy became more involved in the offense as the year went on and was one potential reason why RL decided he was a short timer here. Heck, Randy was involved in play calling w/ all his previous OC's @ UConn (Ambrose, Moorhead, etc...) - this is not new behavior.

... the QBs are also night and day from last year to this year.

As an aside - UConn's total offense ranking this year is significantly higher than SMU this year (by like 30 spots). I liked RL from a recruiting perspective but he wasn't a wonder-boy. There was a reason he left Malzahn besides the narrative that he needed to prove himself.

Fair enough. Thanks for the insight.

Reaction Score
I have taken the Patience Pills for long enough. For the first time since Edsall came back I was truly upset with this loss.
  1. From the opening whistle, Edsall played "not to lose". UMass played to win. That killed me to watch. It was so evident. Now I have to read about Pindell's small hands??? Come on.
  2. As many have said, the players on the field, are they having fun? Where's the ego - I'm better than you and I am going to kick your ass. Where's the jumping around after a big play? Where's the celebration? Do they want it, I'm not sure. Example - Down 5 at the end and Dixon takes the kickoff. He is tackled by the first UMass player down the field around the 13 yard line. Not a single block on the guy and others were right there. After the tackle, entire UMass Kickoff Team is celebrating knowing they have this team beat.
That game needed to be a win for so many reasons. The game plan put together by Edsall and company truly scares me. THEY WERE SCARED OF UMASS. How has it come to this? Not sure what to think going forward...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
My position on Edsall is clear, but I will say that coaching is not the problem with UConn football. It's problems run much deeper.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I still believe he will turn it around.....eventually. But please, Randy, no more turtle ball like yesterday and let's start getting some reps for next year's QBs. Having lost our best shot at a second victory, I am resigned to a 1-11 season. Give the QBs with the (hopefully) larger hands some experience, and not at turtle ball.
Can’t Krajewski get snaps in final 4 games and still keep his RS? Is he healthy? We’ve seen Washington.

Reaction Score
Can’t Krajewski get snaps in final 4 games and still keep his RS? Is he healthy? We’ve seen Washington.

While I'd Expect to see Krajewski before the season is over, I don't expect to see him playing at the RENT. HCRE, ever the control freak, will most likely start him on the road so as not to be affected by the boobirds.

Reaction Score
I'm going to try to not over-do it in my criticism of this post, so here goes:

I can count the amount of 4 star recruits that have ever come to UConn on one hand. Literally. I don't need more than 5 fingers to cover them all. The boneyard old timers could rattle them off without looking, I'm sure. Jarell Miller, Dwayne Difton, Zach Frazer (transfer), Chandler Whitmer (transfer) and possibly one more that I'm forgetting about.

What this program DOES need is to stay getting those high quality 3 star recruits that will turn our fortunes around. Kids who are looked at by more than just Old Dominion or URI or Bucknell. Not only is that realistic, but it's happened before. But it only happens if recruits believe in the coach, the program, and the possibility of winning while playing.

Let's hope that belief is still out there on the recruiting trail...

STOP, STOP with the 3-star upper level 3 star or high quality octane 3 star call them what you want you will not get the RESULTS needed to be successful in college football. The next guy needs to get the 4 star recruits like I said and that just to be competitive in this league let alone another league. The next guy needs to be greedy MANIAC
at recruiting for us to get better. Aim high and higher than everyone in this league and maybe just maybe we will be successful. Enough with just getting by, because the league has passed us by and the current regime did not get it done. The staff failed with zero results.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
STOP, STOP with the 3-star upper level 3 star or high quality octane 3 star call them what you want you will not get the RESULTS needed to be successful in college football. The next guy needs to get the 4 star recruits like I said and that just to be competitive in this league let alone another league. The next guy needs to be greedy MANIAC
at recruiting for us to get better. Aim high and higher than everyone in this league and maybe just maybe we will be successful. Enough with just getting by, because the league has passed us by and the current regime did not get it done. The staff failed with zero results.

We’re never getting four star recruits. My god. If that’s what you’re holding out for, you’re rooting for the wrong program.

Reaction Score
We’re never getting four star recruits. My god. If that’s what you’re holding out for, you’re rooting for the wrong program.
It's not what's needed anyway. We need to recruit like a top tier MAC program at the skill positions. I watch those games and see playmakers. Problem I'm seeing right now is that Randy is laying the groundwork for running the ball 50 times a game. Good luck getting kids to come play in that when they're playing wide open football all over the country. 15 yards passing, pfft.

Reaction Score
It's not what's needed anyway. We need to recruit like a top tier MAC program at the skill positions. I watch those games and see playmakers. Problem I'm seeing right now is that Randy is laying the groundwork for running the ball 50 times a game. Good luck getting kids to come play in that when they're playing wide open football all over the country. 15 yards passing, pfft.
Edsall stinks. He did a solid job building the program and then showed what a snake he is in the way he left them. The game has completely passed him by.

Reaction Score

Why stop @ 4* — aim high and higher and grab them 5* before anyone else does! ;)

For perspective: Rivals currently lists two 4* commits for 2019 in the AAC (only one if looking @ 247). 1 NC DE to ECU and 1 Texas DE to Houston. It’s not like they are falling out of the sky in this conference.

I’m not saying UConn shouldn’t chase them w/ fervor - it’s the expectation that they are going to build a team of 4* players that is unrealistic.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This isn’t about 4 stars and 5 stars, but it is about the fact that so far Edsall’s own recruits look no better than Diaco’s. Four games left, Edsall’s own recruits need to show something.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why stop @ 4* — aim high and higher and grab them 5* before anyone else does! ;)

For perspective: Rivals currently lists two 4* commits for 2019 in the AAC (only one if looking @ 247). 1 NC DE to ECU and 1 Texas DE to Houston. It’s not like they are falling out of the sky in this conference.

I’m not saying UConn shouldn’t chase them w/ fervor - it’s the expectation that they are going to build a team of 4* players that is unrealistic.

Well aren't you the trailblazing superhero talking about being unrealistic, living in a world of mediocrity with a 2-star head coach, not even a 3 star coach, just fine settle for continued sub par 500 seasons . Nothing is unrealistic if someone has the guts and determination to be successful.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Well aren't you the trailblazing superhero talking about being unrealistic, living in a world of mediocrity with a 2-star head coach, not even a 3 star coach, just fine settle for continued sub par 500 seasons . Nothing is unrealistic if someone has the guts and determination to be successful.

What a load of BS.

Reaction Score
This was coaching negligence. He handed this game away with his pathetic offensive game plan. Trying to run out the clock from the 1st play.

Does anyone believe the UMass QB is a better passer than Pindell? This was not talent this was 100 percent coaching induced loss.

I gotta disagree. There is nothing surprising about Randy Edsall's program, when it comes to game planning, and strategy and execution. This was as 4th quarter meltdown by everybody, and it exposes the obvious blatantly.

We do not have players on the field, that are physically and mentally capable of competing and regularly winning against both the conference and non-conference opponents we schedule annually.

It's pure, perfect Randy Edsall, that somehow - in his second year already, closer to his third now, than his first, he's got a built in excuse of youth in players to fall back on that will last minimum another 2-3 years.

Reaction Score
Foook you, what the heck are you going to preach. Another defender of mediocrity. Got any guts to call out Uconn, C'mon man the University needs criticism in any way shape or form.

Hey - I wrote in August, that this year, I'm looking to beat URI and UMass as a measure of success. We failed. I'm writing my thoughts too and writing critique. The administration (AD, BOT, President and Provost) need to present a plan that will address the problem of recruiting we have. I wrote an originial post about it, that will most likely be visible in the next 24 hours.

What Randy Edsall has to say about anything, is irrelevant, he's the football coach. His job is to make sure this team can block and tackle well enough within a game plan to compete for the next 5 games.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
What's your solution hotshot

My solution is to be a human being with a brain and not throw temper tantrums because impossible things don’t happen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom