No fans at NCAA men's or women's tournament [merged thread] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

No fans at NCAA men's or women's tournament [merged thread]

Reaction Score
They cant delay, because they dont know when things will be safe to play. They're probably postponing the Summer olympics to 2022 for that reason.

Reaction Score
Just take the top 4 teams..play 2 consecutive days in Indiannoplis...and crown a champin.
Or top 8 teams, 1->8, 2->7, 3-.6 and 4->5, then play the winning 4 teams to decide the NC.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The family member at this time frame is not likely to be an issue since the players likely have had limited exposure to family recently, although it certainly is possible.

For team/support members, I would suspect that the probable reaction would be for that team to self quarantine and the team to forfeit.
But it also might involve the other teams from the conference championships needing to quarantine themselves as well, at which point it really snowballs. Colarado player test positive this week and suddenly the six Pac12 teams in the NCAAs are quarantined for 14 days!!! There goes five home round 1/2 site games the first weekend.

Reaction Score
Or top 8 teams, 1->8, 2->7, 3-.6 and 4->5, then play the winning 4 teams to decide the NC.

This goes against everything the NCAA tournament should be about. Remember Dayton making the Elite 8? Or Minnesota making the Final 4 as a 7 seed?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This goes against everything the NCAA tournament should be about. Remember Dayton making the Elite 8? Or Minnesota making the Final 4 as a 7 seed?
IMO cutting the size of the field is one of the least likely outcomes. They'll either play a 64-team bracket or none at all.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
But it also might involve the other teams from the conference championships needing to quarantine themselves as well, at which point it really snowballs. Colarado player test positive this week and suddenly the six Pac12 teams in the NCAAs are quarantined for 14 days!!! There goes five home round 1/2 site games the first weekend.
yeah it wouldn't take much for the house of cards to tumble.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Three things:

#1 What will the NCAA do if one or more schools prohibit their team(s) from participating or the team itself votes to stay away?

#2 If the games do in fact end up being played with no spectators, will the loudest and most exuberant bench become the game's X factor?

#3 The word from Florida is that UCF doesn't give a d*mn what happens. :eek: :rolleyes:

Per #1, that option was just given to the participating Ivy League schools (Yale in Men's, Princeton in Women's) by the Ivies, per the announcement that they just cancelled all spring sports:
"Individual institutions will decide whether or not winter teams and student-athletes who have qualified for postseason play will participate."

BTW,
here's that entire announcement:

Not to get off course to much, but the spring sports I follow (men's and women's lacrosse) are going to be blown to shreds: Ivy League teams comprise four of the top six teams in the latest men's poll; and, Ivy League teams make up about 20% of the top 15 in D1 Women's poll.

As numerous folks have written, I think some more dominoes could be falling. Stay tuned.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This neutralized home court advantages. Could be a good thing for UConn since the ncaa committee would place UConn likely in Portland and. No. 2 seed.

Since the NCAA has decided to take the bold step of not allowing fans to attend the games, I wonder if they will now assign teams to venues close to their campuses, regardless of protocols used before this situation arose to reduce travel. Most teams still fly commercial, and spend lots of time in airports and mixing in with other travelers, some of which are of the international variety. It might be healthier to take a “sanitized” chartered bus to a venue as opposed to an aircraft that’s probably crawling with germs. :eek:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If they go through the lengths of playing in empty arenas, why not get rid of the rule conference teams can't meet in the Elite 8? I mean why should UConn or Louisville be going to Portland and Stanford be going to Greeneville?

Seems they need to throw everything out the window right now to make this work.

Reaction Score
Especially for the seniors.... and teams who are going to the tournament for the first time.

So what are you hearing from the Raleigh area re the virus? I was at Saturday's semifinal games with a crew of 5 and we had GA tickets and stayed a row or two away from NCSU fans. Games were great. My crew really wanted to see Duke but were left with BCU, but we had a ball anyway.

I'm in Greensboro and am flip flopping on how series this is. My neighbor, who runs one of the big hotels (Duke women were staying there) mentioned that for the mens tourny he has a lot of rooms still available (SU is there and maybe one other team). tia

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
If they go through the lengths of playing in empty arenas, why not get rid of the rule conference teams can't meet in the Elite 8? I mean why should UConn or Louisville be going to Portland and Stanford be going to Greeneville?

Seems they need to throw everything out the window right now to make this work.
Not sure that one has much to do with the other. Stanford is still a plane flight away from Portland. Flying to a different locale doesn't make them safer.

Reaction Score
You mean like this?

Reaction Score
You can cancel the tournament and let the AP, coaches, and selection committee crown a champion. That is how they use to do it in college football in the old days.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
So what are you hearing from the Raleigh area re the virus? I was at Saturday's semifinal games with a crew of 5 and we had GA tickets and stayed a row or two away from NCSU fans. Games were great. My crew really wanted to see Duke but were left with BCU, but we had a ball anyway.

I'm in Greensboro and am flip flopping on how series this is. My neighbor, who runs one of the big hotels (Duke women were staying there) mentioned that for the mens tourny he has a lot of rooms still available (SU is there and maybe one other team). tia

Well I'm Greensboro as well. I know the only cases in the state so far are in Wake and Chatham Counties... maybe 6 total. Duke and Elon cancelled in person classes... as well as the entire 17 campus UNC System. I was at the women's tournament all week long..... the virus didnt cross my mind once really. In retrospect... I did shake a VPI's fan a few times... and even got a hug from a senior citizen Louisville fan as they were leaving after the Cards were eliminated. I guess that's not really recommended.

Huge economic hit for the city... maybe 10 million dollars worth?? I know I was planning to go to the open practice next week... but Im sure that will be cancelled as well... you figure 5,000 to 10,000 fans would show up to watch Duke practice.

I am planning on going to the Colonial Women's Tournament over in Elon for the rest of the week...... I havent seen anything about them restricting fans.

Reaction Score
Have there been any reports of coronavirus at any of the conference tournaments that happened last weekend or at any of those that are going on right now?

Reaction Score
They better use a 7 second delay... or refrain from placing microphones near the courts or benches. Wouldn't be FCC friendly if they don't.
I agree. The downside of having no crowd noise for me will be having to hear the coaches scream incessantly trying to control every play, pass, defensive move etc. That and listening to them whine and cry for every call and go on and on after they don’t get it.

Reaction Score
This kind of action...while the right thing to do...can be economically devastating. It is one of the reasons why the stock market is crashing. What about major league baseball? I still see packed stadiums at spring training games..
I just emailed the twins I have tickets for the 14th and 21st. Both on as of this evening. Bonita spring blues festival is on for 13th. It is starting to feel like the walking dead TV show.

Reaction Score
Department
I'm amazed that there are two students at a local high school diagnosed and the school (although having been cleaned thoroughly) is still open. I'm trying to balance the mandate to stay open and business and usual at the K-12 level, yet most universities closing doors in Massachusetts.

Wherever UConn ends up, this is a tournament that will live on with these strange situations for a long long time....
Department of Health in NY has said that in public school there is a mandatory 24 hour closure with one confirmed case, and increased time for subsequent confirmed cases. That was the information we got today, in addition to my school closing half day on Friday so we can prep for two weeks of plans (to be sent home with kids) in case of a closure. I’m glad we’re being proactive but our absenteeism is going to go through the roof, confirmed cases or not. Oh boy...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Back to the Ivy League and an earlier post suggesting that teams might decline to play in the tournament. The Ivy League has just cancelled all spring sports competition.

As for winter sports, they are leaving it up to individual schools whether or not teams can compete in NCAA competitions. This applies to sports such as wrestling, ice hockey and obviously basketball. So there is a very real possibility that Princeton might opt out of the women’s tournament.

Reaction Score
Has the NCAA figured out what to do if a player or a member of the team's support staff tests positive? Or a close family member?
I believe the Dpartment of Health in that state has protocols that supersede any NCAA rules or decisions.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Since family members will be allowed in I have filed papers to adopt Anna. I know somewhere in my family tree there is some Eastern European blood in me. This will get me into all the games, air flights are empty with cheap fares. I still have some hotel points from last years AAC tournie.

Good luck to the rest of you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom