No fans at NCAA men's or women's tournament [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

No fans at NCAA men's or women's tournament [merged thread]

Reaction Score
The NCAA made the unprecedented decision Wednesday to hold the men's and women's basketball tournaments without fans because of the ongoing coronavirus crisis.

The NCAA announcement came after Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine said he would issue an order that would ban fans from NCAA tournament games in Cleveland and Dayton.

Reaction Score
I'm amazed that there are two students at a local high school diagnosed and the school (although having been cleaned thoroughly) is still open. I'm trying to balance the mandate to stay open and business and usual at the K-12 level, yet most universities closing doors in Massachusetts.

Wherever UConn ends up, this is a tournament that will live on with these strange situations for a long long time....

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
NCAA looking to move the Men's F4 out of Mercedes Benz Stadium into a Smaller Arena in Atlanta. I"m sure they'll do the same for the Women's Tournament.

Reaction Score
This was the minimum action that the NCAA could have taken I think given the current state and is a change from just a few hours ago.

It may also not be the last action.
I had earlier advocated for a postponement.. ( as many big events have chosen )...but logistics might be too complicated. Hopefully, they can pipe in sound effects...and team fans can choose their own. EG When UCONN is playing, we can dial up sound from the first time we beat Tennessee...etc.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
NCAA looking to move the Men's F4 out of Mercedes Benz Stadium into a Smaller Arena in Atlanta. I"m sure they'll do the same for the Women's Tournament.

Women's tournament was already in the smaller arena (Smoothie King Center where the Pelicans play) vs the New Orleans Superdome.

Reaction Score
Pretty clearly, yes.

Edit to add: I wonder what the split was between the NCAA and the host institutions on revenues from the campus-hosted rounds? Anyone know?
This kind of action...while the right thing to do...can be economically devastating. It is one of the reasons why the stock market is crashing. What about major league baseball? I still see packed stadiums at spring training games..

Reaction Score
Nobody's fault, and the right decision was made, but what a shame that the eventual tournament winner won't get to celebrate in front of a crowd. It'll feel like winning practice more than winning an NCAA championship!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Geography shouldn’t be a factor in determining seeding for the women’s tournament then. Therefore, UConn should be in Ft. Wayne
May actually become a much bigger factor - I could see the bracket for first two rounds created so every team coming to Storrs could drive for example regardless of what proper seeding should be.

Reaction Score
This kind of action...while the right thing to do...can be economically devastating. It is one of the reasons why the stock market is crashing. What about major league baseball? I still see packed stadiums at spring training games..
It will get there - soon. Japan is already playing their baseball season in empty ballparks. It will be a lot easier for the umps and opposing teams to hear Houston's trash can banging and other auditory "off speed pitch" signals with no fans in the park.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It will be a lot easier for the umps and opposing teams to hear Houston's trash can banging and other auditory "off speed pitch" signals with no fans in the park.
cena surprise.gif

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
One of two things will happen, either:

A. This country gets it act together and we can maybe eke out prevention and containment sufficient to run the tournament at all; or
B. In a week or so, portions of this country begin to look like Northern Italy, and in retrospect this will have been the first domino to fall on the way to cancelling the tournament altogether.

Unfortunately, based on the mitigation steps I'm seeing nationwide, I'd put more money on (B) than (A). The final four isn't until early April, and I have a hard time seeing things maintain or recover in time for it to go that far. If you get through the first weekend, maybe you can postpone the Sweet Sixteen to later in the spring, but even holding out for another 11 days may be a stretch at this point.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Geography shouldn’t be a factor in determining seeding for the women’s tournament then. Therefore, UConn should be in Ft. Wayne
BINGO! If they use the proper S-curve then UCONN should be the 2 seed in Maryland's region and Louisville should probably end up in Baylor's region. IIRC the S curve looked like this:
  • South Carolina
  • Oregon
  • Baylor
  • Maryland
  • UCONN
  • Louisville
  • etc etc.
So with no ticket sales or fans in seats,then the proper S-curve can be used regardless of driving distance.

Reaction Score
Three things:

#1 What will the NCAA do if one or more schools prohibit their team(s) from participating or the team itself votes to stay away?

#2 If the games do in fact end up being played with no spectators, will the loudest and most exuberant bench become the game's X factor?

#3 The word from Florida is that UCF doesn't give a d*mn what happens. :eek: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
with the average age of WCBB fans being, umm, "up there", certainly a good thing to ban fans.
It's not just the fan's what about the coaches. Geno isn't far behind me and with his surgery I bet he is in a compromised position as well.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I had earlier advocated for a postponement.. ( as many big events have chosen )...but logistics might be too complicated. Hopefully, they can pipe in sound effects...and team fans can choose their own. EG When UCONN is playing, we can dial up sound from the first time we beat Tennessee...etc.
People who need noise to watch a game should invite 25-30 (virus-tested) friends to their house for a TV game party.

Reaction Score
BINGO! If they use the proper S-curve then UCONN should be the 2 seed in Maryland's region and Louisville should probably end up in Baylor's region. IIRC the S curve looked like this:
  • South Carolina
  • Oregon
  • Baylor
  • Maryland
  • UCONN
  • Louisville
  • etc etc.
So with no ticket sales or fans in seats,then the proper S-curve can be used regardless of driving distance.
Both Maryland and sour Creme will not like your post. ...;)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Three things:

#1 What will the NCAA do if one or more schools prohibit their team(s) from participating?

#2 If the games do in fact end up being played with no spectators, will the loudest and most exuberant bench become the game's X factor?

#3 The word from Florida is that UCF doesn't give a d*mn what happens.
#1 is a knotty one. Perhaps some teams will announce their withdrawal prior to Monday? In which case their spot in the field is opened up to a less cautious institution? If they withdraw after bracketing (and it's too late to re-bracket), then I'd think it's simply a forfeit situation?

#2: There will be a "limited family attendance," it appears. So bench plus a few dozen family members? I'm sure it becomes a factor. It's gonna be bizarre to have no other crowd to draw energy from.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom