No fans at NCAA men's or women's tournament [merged thread] | Page 9 | The Boneyard

No fans at NCAA men's or women's tournament [merged thread]

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
California just cancelled the HS championships scheduled for this weekend in Sacramento.

Reaction Score
ACC just cancelled....... along with the Pac 12, CUSA, A10, MAC, WAC, Colonial... not sure about the Big South and MEAC

ESPN was incredibly slow in reporting the cancelations. It took them over 20 minutes to report the Big 10 and slow on others. What do the 100s of staff do doing broadcasts?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
What a College Football Playoff? I don't think so! Now I am waiting for the South Carolina fans to declare well we are No.1 so we're the NCs. I don't think so!

One more tidbit Tennessees tournament streak comes to an end like it should have already!
How can any of the tournament streaks end (or begin for that matter) if there's no tourney? You have to have a tourney to miss it.

JordyG

Reaction Score
The Big East just cancelled their tourney, literally at the halftime.

Reaction Score
How can any of the tournament streaks end (or begin for that matter) if there's no tourney? You have to have a tourney to miss it.
There is a tourney scheduled and it may not happen.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I think they will wind up Canceling everything now. SC wins the national championship by default I guess via polls which makes it seems like consolation prize.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I know I will be in the smallest of minorities, but I don't think anything should have been or should be cancelled. Everyone should expect to get the virus. I expect to get the virus just like I expect to get the flu every year. Even when I get a flu shot, I still usually end up getting the flu. 20,000+ people die from the flu every year just in the U.S. At last count, we are no where close to that number worldwide for the virus.

From what I have read, it last about 14 days. If everyone went on and got it, in 14 days the crisis would be over. :)
Doesn't quite work that way. Normal flu does kill around 20-40K each year, but the fatality rate of those getting the flu is less than 1%. The fatality rate for Covid-19 is about 3.4%.

So, if everyone in the US (330 million) were to get the Covid-19, then about 11 million people would die.

And that 3.4% is an average of the different age groups. Like < 9 yo is basically 0. But 70-79 yo is around 8% and 80 and above is 14%. That would probably wipe out half the BY posters.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Welp.... guess we can shift to the BY off-season mode :oops:
I was gonna start a music thread about dancing. Don't think there are that many songs about being sick though. :(

JordyG

Reaction Score
Doesn't quite work that way. Normal flu does kill around 20-40K each year, but the fatality rate of those getting the flu is less than 1%. The fatality rate for Covid-19 is about 3.4%.

So, if everyone in the US (330 million) were to get the Covid-19, then about 11 million people would die.
Yes and no. Virus' are tricky things to speculate upon, and their propagation rates don't always add up. However, I've seen numbers that say COVID-19's mortality rate is closer to just over 2%, whereas the Spanish or Asian flu numbers were close to 4%. Of course the 1917 flu was the weirdest, cruelest flu man has ever seen. COVID-19 is a more typical flu that kill those at risk: We elderly with pre-existing health conditions, and the very young. The 1917 killed those in the prime of their lives, people aged 17-25, and acted far more rapidly. Some were healthy at dawn and dead by dusk. Perhaps 25-30 million people died world wide. Some say closer to 50 million. So far, and thankfully, COVID-19 just isn't showing those type of numbers

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes and no. Virus' are tricky things to speculate upon, and their propagation rates don't always add up. However, I've seen numbers that say COVID-19's mortality rate is closer to just over 2%, whereas the Spanish or Asian flu numbers were close to 4%. Of course the 1917 flu was the weirdest, cruelest flu man has ever seen. COVID-19 is a more typical flu that kill those at risk: We elderly with pre-existing health conditions, and the very young. The 1917 killed those in the prime of their lives, people aged 17-25, and acted far more rapidly. Some were healthy at dawn and dead by dusk. Perhaps 25-30 million people died world wide. Some say closer to 50 million. So far, and thankfully, COVID-19 just isn't showing those type of numbers
Well how many die (gross numbers) is also a function of how many get infected. The "Spanish" flu ran for about 2 years 17-18. This Corona has only been going a couple months. Hopefully, unlike the Spanish flu, we don't let it run for 2 years.

The numbers' I've seen in the articals I've read, are between 3-4%. But less would be better.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Well how many die (gross numbers) is also a function of how many get infected. The "Spanish" flu ran for about 2 years 17-18. This Corona has only been going a couple months. Hopefully, unlike the Spanish flu, we don't let it run for 2 years.

The numbers' I've seen in the articals I've read, are between 3-4%. But less would be better.
Yeah. I'm a big believer though that the number of reported is very low. I'm convinced that 2 weeks ago I had this virus and it was a mild case, which I never reported. I think the great majority of infections will be extremely mild. Once the testing begins in earnest I believe the 3.4% reported now will drop to around 2%. I think Italy is a prime example, and more indicative of the real mortality rate.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So far this season (per the CDC) we've had 34 million flu illnesses, 350,000 hospitalizations and 20,000 deaths from flu. So about 1% of total cases are hospitalized, and only 0.06% result in a fatality. That's quite a bit less than the usual "1% for flu" approximation folks like to use.

Yeah. I'm a big believer though that the number of reported is very low.
Me too. For COVID-19, per John's Hopkins et al, we're up to 1397 confirmed cases with 39 fatalities... 2.8%. I highlight "confirmed" because testing in the US got off to a pretty slow start compared to many other countries. If we had a higher testing and reporting rate, I expect that fatality rate number would drop significantly.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Well one thing I do know. When the vaccine for this come out, and it will, and sooner than you think, the rush to get it will overwhelm every outlet in the world. Donovan Mitchell just tested positive by the way.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Yes, but you understate/overstate. It looks like this virus with a perfectly functional health system may kill at a rate of about 1 - 1.5 % which is ten times the normal rate for a bad flu season (0.13%.) And Flu season is spaced out over about six months relieving the health system of overload. If 10% of the US population (33 million in the US) in the next 2 months got this, the hospital system would be overwhelmed and the death toll would climb exponentially to the 3.5% that happened in Wuhan or even higher as the staff would have 3 or 4 or 5 patients waiting for the same respirator for every respirator in every hospital in the country and would start having to choose one of those patients with the best likelihood of surviving to give treatment to as the others died.

Lombardy in Italy is not a backward country/region, but their ICU units were overwhelmed with only around 5000 confirmed cases.

So talk of everyone getting the virus, or just 10% of the US population getting the virus would be overwhelming. The 2017-2019 flu infected 27% of the world population over two+ years and killed somewhere between 1 and 6% of the world population (no one is really sure.) In places that prepared and were able to slow the spread the death toll was reduced.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Ticketmaster (or whoever) getting to keep “applicable fees” is some bullfeces.

Right! They should eat any and all applicable fees. It’s not the end user’s fault that the ticket purchases must be refunded. No one (entity) should profit from this. 100% refunds for everyone that purchased tickets. It’s not only good business, it’s fair business.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I'm reminded of Dr Strangelove where George C Scott argues for a nuclear war stating "acceptable" causalties of 20 30 million tops.

Our bodies have a acquired immunity to multiple flu viruses. Vaccinations are big as well. Where new strains arise that is where problems magnify exponentially.

I 've seen estimated mortality rates >4% those aged over 60 while virtually 0% under 30. and the symptoms so mild they don't get diagnosed.

However the virus load spread by those youngsters is huge. I went in Tuesday for flu symptoms and the doctor I saw painted a grim picture. They really have no idea how many people are carrying the virus. The only people getting tested are those with severe symptoms at high risk. And despite all you hear there really aren't any testing kits available. so that 1000 or so figure may just be the tip of the iceberg that is actually 10000 or 100000.

The best solution may just be time. Slow the infection rate as much as possible that is flatten the curve so that treatment facilites and staff are not overwhelmed and to gain time to develop treatments, get the virus to "burn out" and develop a vaccine.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know I will be in the smallest of minorities, but I don't think anything should have been or should be cancelled. Everyone should expect to get the virus. I expect to get the virus just like I expect to get the flu every year. Even when I get a flu shot, I still usually end up getting the flu. 20,000+ people die from the flu every year just in the U.S. At last count, we are no where close to that number worldwide for the virus.

From what I have read, it last about 14 days. If everyone went on and got it, in 14 days the crisis would be over. :)

If everyone got it at the same time, those with severe forms would quickly overwhelm hospitals and medical facilities. People would die because they could not get a ventilator since they were all in use. The guy in Wilton (40 something years old) who seemed to have contracted it in CA is in a coma and his wife and infant twins are quarantined.

Reaction Score

Likely the smallest minority possible. China has 80,000+ confirmed cases (.006% of their population) and 3,000+ confirmed deaths (.0002% of their population). They are now claiming the spread is "curbed" in Wuhan and Hubei, their hardest-hit provinces (not sure what "curbed" means, but apparently there's some relief that things are improving). They did this by basically canceling everything - closed down factories, businesses, schools, restaurants, travel. They prioritized the health of their people over the health of their economy.

They are now starting to reopen some factories, etc. I got an e-mail from Starbucks yesterday telling me everything they are doing in the USA, and what they learned form their Chinese operations, some of which are now reopening.

3,000 deaths out of 80,000 reported cases is 3.75%. Extrapolating, if everyone in China got it that would be over 52 million deaths - probably a lot more, since their health care system would be beyond overwhelmed. JMO, but to me it seems like planning for everyone to get it is way past simple extremism.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom