No fans at NCAA men's or women's tournament [merged thread] | Page 8 | The Boneyard

No fans at NCAA men's or women's tournament [merged thread]

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The Tourney can't be delayed -- a lot of the players will be professionals before it could be rescheduled. I expect there will be another announcement by next week either cancelling or drastically altering the Tournament.
If the WNBA delays the start of its season, might they also postpone the draft?

Just spitballing here (not literally).

Reaction Score
Smell the Coffee

It's time to take the bull by the tail and face the situation.

The season is over.

The coronavirus has been allowed to spread like a, well, virus, undetected, for several weeks. No one knows how many people have been infected but estimates are in the millions.

Somewhere around one per cent of those people will die, experts say.

This is nothing to be cavalier about; and there is no way student athletes should be further exposed to it via intercollegiate sports competitions.

I enjoyed watching this team's maturation more so than any UConn team I can think of, and I choose to remember them as the "coulda been" National Champs.

I'll follow Crystal's exploits wherever they may lead her. She was a stalwart, inspiring, brilliant presence on and off the floor throughout her four years.

I'll miss Kyla and Molly and know they'll make wherever they're going better for having them.

Batouley, we hardly knew ye, but I loved what I saw.

Evelyn could have been...

I can only dream what improvements Megan, Christyn, Olivia, Anna, and Aubrey will make to their already amazing games during the off season.

I look forward to Evina, Paige, et al unveiling their talents in a few months.

It's been a memorable ride!

Stay safe.

See ya next year!

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Noting that UConn has joined a number of other universities and colleges in moving to online classes, it appears ever more likely that the inevitable decision to cancel the Big Dance will be forthcoming as institutions around the country heed the warnings of medical professionals to restrict travel and limit potential exposure.

Reaction Score
Noting that UConn has joined a number of other universities and colleges in moving to online classes, it appears ever more likely that the inevitable decision to cancel the Big Dance will be forthcoming as institutions around the country heed the warnings of medical professionals to restrict travel and limit potential exposure.

It should have been cancelled already.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It should have been cancelled already.
Probably so. The problem lies in the fact that such decisions are highly decentralized, with various conferences and institutions all slogging through the process in their own way. For the NCAA, it’s like herding cats to get to a consensus. Nevertheless, I think the decision is coming.

Reaction Score
Just take the top 4 teams..play 2 consecutive days in Indiannoplis...and crown a champin.
What a College Football Playoff? I don't think so! Now I am waiting for the South Carolina fans to declare well we are No.1 so we're the NCs. I don't think so!

One more tidbit Tennessees tournament streak comes to an end like it should have already!

Reaction Score
2019-2020 NCAA Women's Basketball Champs

The University of South Carolina. * (32-1)

Reaction Score
What a College Football Playoff? I don't think so! Now I am waiting for the South Carolina fans to declare well we are No.1 so we're the NCs. I don't think so!

One more tidbit Tennessees tournament streak comes to an end like it should have already!

Asterix will continue the streak

Reaction Score
This goes against everything the NCAA tournament should be about. Remember Dayton making the Elite 8? Or Minnesota making the Final 4 as a 7 seed?
Or the farce they call the College Football Playoffs!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Unfortunately, there’s another streak that may be about to end as well. At 29-3 UConn only needed to win their 1st round game to extend their record streak of winning 30 or more games in a season to 15 straight seasons. :(

Reaction Score
You can cancel the tournament and let the AP, coaches, and selection committee crown a champion. That is how they use to do it in college football in the old days.
You're only saying that because South Carolina is ranked No. 1! They changed that because it was a stupid way to crown a champion!

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, there’s another streak that may be about to end as well. At 29-3 UConn only needed to win their 1st round game to extend their record streak of winning 30 or more games in a season to 15 straight seasons. :(
That's okay as Tennessees name keeps getting erased In the record books LOL!

Reaction Score
Small price to pay when considering the potential to wreck the economy and put an unsustainable burden on the health care system (not to mention the loss of people who may be infected with the virus and the impacts to their families) if decisive action is not taken.

Reaction Score
I was surprised they didn't move everything up a week. It would have made completing it a bit more likely. I still think the reaction to this virus is overblown (toilet paper - come on!) but I really doubt the tournament will happen. Cancelling fans mean venues can't make money so they pull out. Someone gets tested positive and it is over. Only way to prevent that is to not let anyone involved get tested. I've come to the conclusion that it is over.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
ACC just cancelled....... along with the Pac 12, CUSA, A10, MAC, WAC, Colonial... not sure about the Big South and MEAC

Reaction Score
I know I will be in the smallest of minorities, but I don't think anything should have been or should be cancelled. Everyone should expect to get the virus. I expect to get the virus just like I expect to get the flu every year. Even when I get a flu shot, I still usually end up getting the flu. 20,000+ people die from the flu every year just in the U.S. At last count, we are no where close to that number worldwide for the virus.

From what I have read, it last about 14 days. If everyone went on and got it, in 14 days the crisis would be over. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom