No fans at NCAA men's or women's tournament [merged thread] | Page 7 | The Boneyard

No fans at NCAA men's or women's tournament [merged thread]

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
My guess since the NBA cancel for the foreseeable future that the NCAA tournament will be cancelled sadly

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
ESPN listed teams Utah played against in the past 12 days, apparently the period when RG could have been contagious.

Reaction Score
My guess since the NBA cancel for the foreseeable future that the NCAA tournament will be cancelled sadly
ND must be very happy to hear this news .... :p

Reaction Score
Curious to see how big of a pain it is going to be to get a refund for my regional tickets. :(
Maybe transfer for next year. I don't know I just throw it out there.

Reaction Score
Well, they can always have a computer-simulated tournament.

If they cancel it would also allow certain UConn fans to continue to claim that they were the fourth-best team this season. Some might even claim that they would certainly have beaten the three others in a rematch.

Also just think of the forum fodder an unplayed season would supply to fans.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Bizarre seeing the last games on the NBA schedule knowing the season is over.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
That's what I'm seeing. It's looking grim. All that's necessary is for one team to have one player test positive for COVID-19 and it may be a wrap. Baseball season is upcoming folks. Who know what is going to happen.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Bizarre seeing the last games on the NBA schedule knowing the season is over.
Is the season canceled or suspended?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Suspended for now and with a 14 day quarantined for the Jazz during which I don't expect any games, it is difficult to imagine an improved situation in that time frame in the US.

Reaction Score
That's what I'm seeing. It's looking grim. All that's necessary is for one team to have one player test positive for COVID-19 and it may be a wrap. Baseball season is upcoming folks. Who know what is going to happen.
With ~double the number of teams (64, who have intermingled with 300+ teams) and a lot more geographical diversity than the NBA, it’s hard to imagine no NCAA tournament-bound players coming down with it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nebraska Men's team quarantined after their coach is taken to the hospital - no test results available yet. This was at the B1G tournament first round - visibly sick on the bench late into the second half before he left with 4 minutes left.

Reaction Score
Nebraska Men's team quarantined after their coach is taken to the hospital - no test results available yet. This was at the B1G tournament first round - visibly sick on the bench late into the second half before he left with 4 minutes left.
ESPN commentators right now on SportsCenter predicting the last college BB game of the season has been played - no more conference tournament games, no selection show, no NCAA tournament.

Jim Boeheim lobbying for playing the tourney. ESPN commentators questioning his common sense.

Reaction Score
Sad but next year will be the New Championship team virus free - Go Paige.

So Sabrina doesn't get her day but we all know DT is the GOAT. Sorry S but its fate, and next year its a UConn swamp fest with MW CW,, Olivia NO,, AM, and PG!!

Maybe for this year they share it between the four number 1 seeds.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The NCAA has taken a first step by eliminating fans, but they can take a second step that is equally important by absolutely limiting travel through airports. The biggest opportunity to do this would be during the first 2 rounds by setting up brackets where the top 16 seeds host 3 teams each that are in close proximity. Obviously, this means that some teams would have much tougher roads than others. Subsequently, the NCAA could do the same thing for the regionals. Here again, there would be mismatched regions.
If it comes to that, they will cancel the tournament before they screw with the bracket to that extent.

Reaction Score
This was the minimum action that the NCAA could have taken I think given the current state and is a change from just a few hours ago.

It may also not be the last action.

One thing they should immediately do is abolish this rule that forbids Stanford playing in Portland. Sending teams long distances cross-country in planes or buses with hotels, restaurants etc seems like a bad idea at this time.

Plebe

Reaction Score
One thing they should immediately do is abolish this rule that forbids Stanford playing in Portland. Sending teams long distances cross-country in planes or buses with hotels, restaurants etc seems like a bad idea at this time.
So Stanford is supposed to walk to Portland? Ride bikes? Hang-glide? Each person drive a separate car? It's 670 miles away.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Welp..... I was looking forward to attending the Colonial Women's tournament today through Saturday and possibly the Big South Championship game on Sunday... but that won't happen as they announced that no fans will be allowed. :(

The MEAC is letting fans attend todays quarterfinals...... but no fans will be allowed for the Semi and Finals

Plebe

Reaction Score

Plebe

Reaction Score
Welp..... I was looking forward to attending the Colonial Women's tournament today through Saturday and possibly the Big South Championship game on Sunday... but that won't happen as they announced that no fans will be allowed. :(

The MEAC is letting fans attend todays quarterfinals...... but no fans will be allowed for the Semi and Finals
Is anyone allowing fans in after today?

Plebe

Reaction Score
Jim Boeheim lobbying for playing the tourney. ESPN commentators questioning his common sense.
Why are they asking this clown anything? His team isn't even making the tournament. Or maybe he's all revved up for the NIT.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
With all due respect, these kinds of concerns are crocodile tears at this point. I suspect you'll be lucky to have first-two round games to tune out at all. The tournament is basically one or two players or coaches/staff testing positive away from being cancelled, especially for the men's teams playing their tournaments this week. Think about how many high fives, handshake lines, etc. there are. I think it's just a matter of time. Once that happens, university general counsel go into overdrive - unnecessary risks to their player and coaches, legal liability to their own employees and students not to mention risk of exposure to other teams, etc. Dominoes fall from there.

I'm afraid you're right.

Look at it this way. With 64 teams involved that's a minimum of 1,400 people. Odds are very good that several of them could come down with the virus and their whole team would have to be quarantined, and maybe all the players on the team that just beat them. But the odds are even better that one or more of these 1,400
discovers they've been exposed to someone with the virus and have to be quarantined for 14 days.

No matter how they select a champion this year there will be an asterisk next to the school's name in the record books.

The Tourney can't be delayed -- a lot of the players will be professionals before it could be rescheduled. I expect there will be another announcement by next week either cancelling or drastically altering the Tournament.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom