No fans at NCAA men's or women's tournament [merged thread] | Page 10 | The Boneyard

No fans at NCAA men's or women's tournament [merged thread]

Reaction Score
Women's tournament was already in the smaller arena (Smoothie King Center where the Pelicans play) vs the New Orleans Superdome.
As you all likely know by now, Duke University has withdrawn from the NCAA tournament. This could start a snow-ball effect.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Well, if we can't have a tournament and we've seen our last basketball game, I would at least support this idea:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well, if we can't have a tournament and we've seen our last basketball game, I would at least support this idea:

Not sure how you can delay the tournament indefinitely considering that the WNBA draft occurs soon after the tournament ends. There are also logistical issues with venues, hotels, transportation as well as potential conflicts relative to television coverage. It’s much easier to cancel the tournament than to reschedule it.

Reaction Score
I would like to express my appreciation to people on this board for the thoughtful and intelligent manner in which they have discussed coronavirus. It has really helped me think about the impact of the virus on my life and on the lives of the people I love. It has provided a source of sane discussion of reality versus the crazy extremes I have encountered elsewhere.

Also I appreciate the compassion and care for the women in sports that are shown by posts on this board. This is really good place to visit in these difficult times.

Reaction Score
Yes and no. Virus' are tricky things to speculate upon, and their propagation rates don't always add up. However, I've seen numbers that say COVID-19's mortality rate is closer to just over 2%, whereas the Spanish or Asian flu numbers were close to 4%. Of course the 1917 flu was the weirdest, cruelest flu man has ever seen. COVID-19 is a more typical flu that kill those at risk: We elderly with pre-existing health conditions, and the very young. The 1917 killed those in the prime of their lives, people aged 17-25, and acted far more rapidly. Some were healthy at dawn and dead by dusk. Perhaps 25-30 million people died world wide. Some say closer to 50 million. So far, and thankfully, COVID-19 just isn't showing those type of numbers

My mother was 3 when she, her brother and parents all had the spanish flu. Her father died. South Eastern CT got hit hard due to the naval base.
Two things about this COVID virus (CV) as with many viruses; there is usually a lull in new cases during the warmer months but it returns again in the fall, sometimes stronger as with the Sp flu. Second, the mortality rate increases a lot if the health care system becomes overloaded. The actually fatality rate won't be known for a year. The way to prevent that is to slow the spread down. Masks may not prevent catching the virus but they do a pretty good job of not spreading it so if everyone wore a mask a lot fewer people would catch it, slowing the spread. But we have no masks because it was cheaper to have them made in another country, along with our pharmaceuticals.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom