Next year's team | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Next year's team

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
We need a fifth starter and at least 2 off of the bench that can contribute significantly. We will not have that with the current team makeup. Mikayla would have to become an offensive dynamo just to get significant court time, Molly and Kyla will not improve significantly and who knows what Batouly is going to provide because I believe her knee is a lot worse than we know.

AND Maria Conlon will never start a game for UConn!!

Reaction Score
not with the roster they have now. They must add two posts to be competitive. As well as ONO getting much stronger. They were thin this year, barring transfers they will be thinner next year.
I think we all need to wake up. Next year’s team, as presently constructed is not close to the quality of the team that just lost to ND.

1. Katy Lou was an exceptional leader, player and scorer. A tough 6’3” presence and a complete player. No one on the roster is close.

2. Pheesa was a superb player, capable of taking over most games. And with her wing span and athleticism, double doubles were routine. Who on the current roster is the talent that she is?

3. Dangerfield will remain one of the best point guards in the country. But not the best. That won’t change.

4. Walker is becoming a reliable presence, and is fully capable of becoming a star. But she has not reached the level of distinction that a high school player of the year typically attains by the end of her second year.

5. The new recruit from Ossining HS, and so far the only one, looks like a fine player, but she brings nowhere near the accolades that Walker and Williams brought to UCONN. How can she be expected to start?

6. Williams had a very fine freshman season. Too much was probably expected of her. But she bubbles with upside potential. For UConn to be great next season, she has to return as a consistent, reliable, dominating superstar. A lot to ask of a sophomore.

7. Olivia probably did about what coach expected. She got better, but didn’t make a difference. We all hope and believe she will become dominant, but have little basis for our opinion. She really never did much.

8. The only bench player with any future is likely Mykala. She may become a substitute guard who can handle the ball, defend, and drive to the hoop. But do not expect her to morph into an all around player, and an offensive scoring machine.

9. Kyla and Molly are phenomenal teammates. Batouly has shown little and I’m surprised she still wants to play at this level.

But unless Geno finds some future all Americans, with size , speed, and athleticism in Latvia, we are fielding a substantially diminished team next season. It is just the way things worked out. Everyone is doing the best they can.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Yes, but Cox will receive all of the attention once Kalani is gone
Exactly; 6'7" players don't grow on trees.

As far as your "demise" is concerned, who else will have 2 former number 1 recruits on their team?

Reaction Score
Exactly; 6'7" players don't grow on trees.

As far as your "demise" is concerned, who else will have 2 former number 1 recruits on their team?
Is this a trick question because you replied to a post about Baylor and UConn has 2 former number 1 recruits.
But maybe it is a trick question because after this is a UConn Huskies forum. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hope Baylor wins BIG Sunday, so that ND can feel the agony of defeat to end the season also.
Pretty sure ND has been there done that, many more times than UConn. Over the last decade, UConn has won its final game of the season more often than not. No other team can say that. In other words, ND is used to losing, and we're not, but we should probably get more familiar with it because it's going to happen more often going forward.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I have become a doomsday believer due to the devastating losses in the last three Tournaments. As of this morning, there is no way that next year's team will compare to this team's chances to win #12. I am predicting the following:
Our home game win streak will end
Our 0 losses in the AAC will end
Our streak of no losses to an unranked team will end
Our streak of being in the Top 10 during the season will end
We will be hard pressed to get a 4 seed in the Tournament
Our streak of Elite 8s will end
Crystal will have to shoot the lights out most every game in order to become an AA
The win totals between Tara and Geno will widen

Basically all the things that Geno had predicated could happen during the last 3 seasons will, in fact, come true next season.
Also, I think some of this season's top teams will also have worse teams next year unless they get transfers with the ND "immediate eligibility" waiver (yes, I am guessing that ND will get another one or three transfers).

I really, really hate posting this but I don't think that we have a Gabby and Kia type players on the current roster that will step up like the team did after we lost the Big 3, even though we are only losing the "Greatest 2".

Please Huskies, prove me wrong!!!!!!!!

Signed - another Pessimist :(

I don't know which, if any, of these dire predictions will come to pass. I might have agreed with you on at least some at the half way point in the season. As disappointing as the Trifecta of Pain has been, I am encouraged by what I have seen this year from Olivia and Christyn. If Liv spends the summer on weights, footwork and keeping the ball high, she could make a very big leap [I wonder if Kevin McHale is available to coach her :rolleyes: (a man can dream)].

Christyn looks like she will be the kind of player that will be able to create her own shot if need be... an element you have to have in crunch time. All she needs is continued hard work to build lean muscle and confidence, and an attitude that she will defer to no one - she may only be a sophomore, but she'll need to carry herself like an upperclassman. Gonna be a really good one.

Crystal had a poor game and if you saw the Justine interview after the game, the hurt in her was palpable. Not easy to watch. Do you think she's as good as she can be? Not sure, but I guarantee that Crystal will do everything she can to get better over the summer and will come back on a mission.

I'm hoping that Meg and Mikayla will work like demons to fill the gaps in their games, and Aubrey should at the very least, bolster the bench.

What all that means for wins, losses and records?... I'll stay tuned.

I was an early doomsayer when we went to the AAC, but Geno has kept things together pretty well. I always think back to the gap between 1995 and 2000 when it felt like the '95 championship may well have been a one-off... it wasn't.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think we all need to wake up. Next year’s team, as presently constructed is not close to the quality of the team that just lost to ND.

1. Katy Lou was an exceptional leader, player and scorer. A tough 6’3” presence and a complete player. No one on the roster is close.

2. Pheesa was a superb player, capable of taking over most games. And with her wing span and athleticism, double doubles were routine. Who on the current roster is the talent that she is?

3. Dangerfield will remain one of the best point guards in the country. But not the best. That won’t change.

4. Walker is becoming a reliable presence, and is fully capable of becoming a star. But she has not reached the level of distinction that a high school player of the year typically attains by the end of her second year.

5. The new recruit from Ossining HS, and so far the only one, looks like a fine player, but she brings nowhere near the accolades that Walker and Williams brought to UCONN. How can she be expected to start?

6. Williams had a very fine freshman season. Too much was probably expected of her. But she bubbles with upside potential. For UConn to be great next season, she has to return as a consistent, reliable, dominating superstar. A lot to ask of a sophomore.

7. Olivia probably did about what coach expected. She got better, but didn’t make a difference. We all hope and believe she will become dominant, but have little basis for our opinion. She really never did much.

8. The only bench player with any future is likely Mykala. She may become a substitute guard who can handle the ball, defend, and drive to the hoop. But do not expect her to morph into an all around player, and an offensive scoring machine.

9. Kyla and Molly are phenomenal teammates. Batouly has shown little and I’m surprised she still wants to play at this level.

But unless Geno finds some future all Americans, with size , speed, and athleticism in Latvia, we are fielding a substantially diminished team next season. It is just the way things worked out. Everyone is doing the best they can.
I’m totally confused by the lack of respect and confidence shown to Christyn Williams. She was the #1 HS player, and already plays like a senior. She backed off a little due the respect she had for the program and the upperclassmen, but you can be sure she’ll have a complete green light next year. I’m positive Geno will be pushing her to get her shots. I can’t imagine her NOT being an AA.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I knew there was a reason I stayed out of here after the game.
Williams and Ono will both make the sophomore jump. Walker has been steadily improving. Dangerfield can be amazing. We will have one of the best backcourts in the country – with a couple of guards who can score from anywhere. We will have a solid post in Ono. Why do people feel we need to have All Americans at every position to be a top team? Sure the team will have shortcomings. And their game will need to be different. But tell me the ten teams that will be better. I am looking forward to seeing next year's team grow into a contender. I remember how UConn was doomed after the Stewie-Tuck-Jefferson class graduated. We've made every Final Four since. It may not be a cake walk. I was at both games in Albany this year and it was exciting. We were a few missteps away from the Championship game with a team that lost major contributors. The same people who talk about recruits who choose to go elsewhere cheating themselves because they are losing out on becoming the best player they can be by not being in the UConn system also predict gloom and doom partially because they project the same level performance from players next year as this year. Collier's average went from 6.8 to 20.4 after the class of 2016 graduated. Gabby's went from 8.8 to 14.2. Nurse from 9.3 to 12.7. Saniya from 3.7 to 8.2. I am excited for next year. Thrilled that I think we are going to be an unbeatable monster? No. Thrilled to watcht the next chapter unfold? You betcha.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Lots of pessimism on this thread. Next year has been a concern for most of this year. One positive, however, is the backcourt. "They" have always said that college basketball is a guard's game. Right now, I see a starting backcourt next year that will probably be the best in the country. That's a start.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I’m totally confused by the lack of respect and confidence shown to Christyn Williams. She was the #1 HS player, and already plays like a senior. She backed off a little due the respect she had for the program and the upperclassmen, but you can be sure she’ll have a complete green light next year. I’m positive Geno will be pushing her to get her shots. I can’t imagine her NOT being an AA.

I totally agree with you on Christyn, but I did't pick up on much "lack of respect and confidence" in the post you quoted. I read it as Christyn will need to do things that sophomores normally don't do and that's a lot to ask. The poster never said she can't or won't do it. No one knows IF she will have a big step up next season (I think she will), but I think we agree that, for the team to see another Final Four, she really has to (along with some others stepping up their game).

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Looks like @FairView and I posted almost simultaneously. Just more evidence that great minds think alike.

But on a different topic: This grad transfer business is the big wild card. It's good for the players but might not be good for the game. Many of the projections above about UConn and other programs will change in the coming months. From here, it seems imperative that UConn shop in that market. But so will ND. And MSU. Louisville? Ohio State?

I fear the long-term impact of this is that the rich will stay rich. The top programs will always be attractive to a good player if they think they will be sure to play. It will be similar to free agency. Not only will programs with holes be shopping, but so will the players. Any program where supply and demand come together will profit.

I guess time will tell.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Why would we tank? CW is going to be the best player in country next season (Sabrina isn’t coming back). Crystal will be the best PG. ONO will get stronger and MW will finally get show people why she was the #1 player coming out of HS. Oh and Geno will be to finally figure out to use Coombs and Tooly. Those other teams will tank. Every top 10 team in the country is losing important pieces too especially Norte Dame.
Dangerfield will be good but she will not be the best point guard. One thing she needs to do is run a proper play when the clock is running out, something other than a rushed three pointer. Her decision making in crunch time needs to get better.

Reaction Score
Lol. This is Uconn. Geno has never had a team underachieve during the regular season. I have faith for that to continue. I do believe the team will be top 10 as of today. As many stated, if all current players improve and Aubrey fills voids by being better then expected, we'll be ok. A few more then 2 losses but the team will be young and 20-21 we'll be a force as Geno gets his recruits

Reaction Score
All the comments about CW, Walker, and ONO might be correct - but I do wonder how the defense improves and who gets rebounds from the current lineup? This group should be able to score, but that wasn't the biggest problem the last few years. We seem to have a group that likes to roam the perimeter and not do the hard work of boxing out and rebounding.

Reaction Score
All the comments about CW, Walker, and ONO might be correct - but I do wonder how the defense improves and who gets rebounds from the current lineup? This group should be able to score, but that wasn't the biggest problem the last few years. We seem to have a group that likes to roam the perimeter and not do the hard work of boxing out and rebounding.
Yes you are correct. I’m hoping BatCam can be healthy because she can help if healthy. otherwise I think we need to hope Geno can get a competent PF who can rebound and be a scoring threat.

Reaction Score
I like our chances to get back to another Final Four. Nearly every major team will be young next year, other than Oregon and Baylor. I’m excited to see how Squeaks and ONO develop over the summer. If Liv can limit her fouls, it will be nice to see UConn with a big again

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Is this a trick question because you replied to a post about Baylor and UConn has 2 former number 1 recruits.
But maybe it is a trick question because after this is a UConn Huskies forum. :rolleyes:

It wasn't a trick question, I killed 2 birds with 1 post.

Reaction Score
Ayana Mitchell LSU is a decent rebounder and could likely start next year at UConn if there is any interest between Mitchell and UConn. Leaving LSU in favor of UConn would improve her draft stock, help her showcase her skills on a national level, give her a chance for a conference championship, a chance at a final four, and improvements in her all around game.
CD
Williams
walker
Mitchell
ONO
Could be a dangerous team, but would still need a shooter, Watts (UNC) or Gorecki (Duke) could help in that department.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Ayana Mitchell LSU is a decent rebounder and could likely start next year at UConn if there is any interest between Mitchell and UConn. Leaving LSU in favor of UConn would improve her draft stock, help her showcase her skills on a national level, give her a chance for a conference championship, a chance at a final four, and improvements in her all around game.
CD
Williams
walker
Mitchell
ONO
Could be a dangerous team, but would still need a shooter, Watts (UNC) or Gorecki (Duke) could help in that department.

I'd suggest UConn needs two frontcourt players and a guard. Don't forget how hard it is to adapt to the read-and-react offense. Hard to believe grad transfers will have smooth transitions.

Reaction Score
Lots of pessimism on this thread. Next year has been a concern for most of this year. One positive, however, is the backcourt. "They" have always said that college basketball is a guard's game. Right now, I see a starting backcourt next year that will probably be the best in the country. That's a start.
No doubt the strongest backcourt, with Dangerfield and Williams. I think ONO showed a lot of improvement and a glimpse of her potential in her action in the semi-final. I think she's gonna be really good next year for you guys. I'm thinking All-AAC next year for both Williams and ONO. Those three plus Walker, who I'm sure is going to improve... You have an at least elite 8 team. Combine that with UConn's coaching staff, final four. UConn isn't my favorite team, but I am a WBB fanatic. I always tell non-WBB fans to watch UConn games to watch good basketball.

Geno is the best coach, and his staff is obviously going to be stellar. You guys will figure it out. I would be surprised if you guys didn't make the FF next year. I know many posters predict things like sweet 16 and elite 8 finishes, but I can't see that. Outsider fans like me can't see the doom and gloom for UConn. I follow so many other teams, UConn still has a lot of talent. Not the most talent, but enough to compete with the rest of the pretty even playing field that is next season.

Reaction Score
We need a fifth starter and at least 2 off of the bench that can contribute significantly. We will not have that with the current team makeup. Mikayla would have to become an offensive dynamo just to get significant court time, Molly and Kyla will not improve significantly and who knows what Batouly is going to provide because I believe her knee is a lot worse than we know.
Mikayla doesn't have to be an offensive dynamo, the playing time she gets now is based on her defense. Just being offensively adequate (hitting the short open shot) would give her significantly more playing time, IMHO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom