Next year | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Next year

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
People love acting like the world is ending. Biggest loss IMO is Whaley. Dudes a lockdown defender and elite shot blocker. Bouk got buckets for us, but I don’t think he’ll be as sorely missed as some people are painting it. We have big time scorers coming in + a healthy Akok + a more developed Ajax. We’ll be a tournament team next year.

Sanogo became a much better shot blocker second half of the season. Akok is an above level shot blocker. Add in Samson and I'm not worried about rim protecting next season.

Reaction Score
He was a freshman! Do we think Sanogo isn’t good because he’s also a foul machine? If we gave up on every player who committed far too many fouls as a young player we’d probably have very little success as a program. Young players commit bad fouls and usually learn how to play D without getting in foul trouble. Both of these guys will be much more reliable next year defensively.
I wouldn’t compare AJ and Sanogo if I was you, it won’t work well. They aren’t in the same atmosphere in terms of impact.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t compare AJ and Sanogo if I was you, it won’t work well. They aren’t in the same atmosphere in terms of impact.
Dude, you are so wrong on this kid and I will remind you constantly of this next year. You’re making yourself look like a complete fool right now.

Reaction Score
Dude, you are so wrong on this kid and I will remind you constantly of this next year. You’re making yourself look like a complete fool right now.
I would love to be wrong, but you are wrong about him RIGHT NOW. He can make a jump, he certainly has the ability and the work ethic. But i’m referring to this season. I’m not saying he won’t have a great impact ever. You’re changing my words.

Reaction Score
We’re gonna be good. Anyone else excited?
This year overall ;we are a very poor shooting team.
We can't consistently make 3's, make putbacks, make layups and make free throws.
We cannot play man defense without getting into foul trouble.
What is Hurley going to do?; import correction water?
We will find out how good a teaching staff we have and how they will remedy these very obvious
deficiencies. Jackson shot free throws well; why were not plays designed to get him into free throw area for these type of jumpers?
Finally, all of these guys need a remedial course in Basketball 99;
in all my years of coaching I have never seen so many STUPID plays by individuals playing at a high level of college basketball.
Before, I am accused of some form of something, I did not say stupid players but stupid plays.
Back in my time, games were played in the Quonset Hut and we could not beat Holy Cross( Togo Palazzi) or Fordham but we played tough and smart and games went down to wire and big Art Quimby
was really learning the game as a true freshman and soon became a force and led NCAA in rebounding as a junior. Art was only 6'5" or 6'6".
but a very muscular and strong guy and the coaches staff of Hugh
Greer worked with Art to make him a great defensive player( he was pretty good on offense also).
Ok, Dan H., you should have
a plan in place to begin to remedy the deficiencies of this years team.
Ciao

Reaction Score
I would love to be wrong, but you are wrong about him RIGHT NOW. He can make a jump, he certainly has the ability and the work ethic. But i’m referring to this season. I’m not saying he won’t have a great impact ever. You’re changing my words.
My original assertion was that by the time he leaves, he will be one of the most impactful players to ever don the uniform, in terms of all the areas of a game he’ll impact. I could be wrong but the physical tools, passing ability and work ethic give me confidence I’m right. Apologies if I directed anything intended for UCDave at you.

Reaction Score
A lot of things have to happen for us to be as good as this year. Jackson has to start having an impact and not just impress people with his athleticism. Akok has to come back and be an impact player. Sanogo has to be able to play 30 minutes a game without fouling himself to the bench. And Hurley has to realize that the guy who can get his shot is Sanogo, and quit starting with the bigs out high and play more inside out.

That’s a lot of ifs. If it all goes right we could be better, but if Jackson still can’t shoot and Akok isn’t a better version of Whaley and Sanogo can’t stay on the court ....
I don’t understand the love affair with Jackson. I watched the Maryland defense literally leave him alone on the perimeter when he got the ball. He gets a lot of minutes for someone who shoots a single digit 3pt percentage as a guard, he’s a foul machine and his handle needs some work. He has great athleticism and is a great passer, but his skill set didn’t serve him well against the Terps.

Reaction Score
No way in hell are we are we a Tournament team... unless something changes drastically...We just shot 32% with our best player leaving. Our best win of the entire season was USC. We lost to bottom feeder programs in the big east and not a single player on the team has shown that they can consistently shoot. How in the hell can anyone even remotely fathom this program going NCAA next year ... UNLESS someone comes in next year and is a hero.
What was our bottom feeder loss in the Big East? I think we lost to 4th place St. Johns's and Providence who was middle of the pack. We just couldn't beat any good teams besides USC like you mentioned. We have to be able to compete against Villanova next year if we want to be considered a serious threat to do well.

Reaction Score
I know Hurley says defense is our hallmark, but screw that. What good is defense if you can't score. I'd rather lose a game after game in the 80s than watch the game we just witnessed ever again
To be fair, against Maryland, we weren't good at either

Reaction Score
I don’t understand the love affair with Jackson. I watched the Maryland defense literally leave him alone on the perimeter when he got the ball. He gets a lot of minutes for someone who shoots a single digit 3pt percentage as a guard, he’s a foul machine and his handle needs some work. He has great athleticism and is a great passer, but his skill set didn’t serve him well against the Terps.
He's a freshman

Reaction Score
I'm going to expand on this: wasn't it the case after 1994 everyone thought we'd fall off without Donyell Marshall?

We were a better team in 1995.

There are certainly examples of a team losing their best player and coming back better.

I hear what you’re saying here and believe maybe they can be better next year. But let’s be honest there’s no Ray Allen who stayed for another year and Bouk is well short of Donyell Marshall. But I get the analogy and hope they can find a way to grow as well as individually improve. We will need an impact transfer I believe to be real good though.

Reaction Score
Need bucket-getters and shooters for next year. Already have a lot of the pieces with the potential for some of our seniors returning. Will know soon on that front.

A normal off season of skill development and SnC will be beneficial to the returnees.

Would be appreciated if DH embraced Steve Nash FT shooting drill for our team.. FT shooting cost us too many games this year.

Reaction Score
They are being Obtuse. You are, of course, correct. I think you know he is a freshman and MIGHT develop into a great player. I think we all understand the freshman thing. Like you, I just haven't seen him do much to deserve the assumed greatness. Not yet. But we all hope it will happen.

20210321_095033.jpg

Reaction Score
To be fair, against Maryland, we weren't good at either
Yeah, that was the problem. If it were two teams struggling to score, he could have thrown Polley out there and told him to shoot until they start going down. And that would have worked. But Maryland would probably have scored more too. Probably. Hard to imagine them shooting better than they did.

Did this bring back memories of watching them lose to Maryland in the Dome? Thanks again for giving me your extra ticket for that game. ?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom