cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
I will laugh myself sick if they hire Peck

Reaction Score
I think Peck would likely do well, but there must be a reason she's been out of coaching so long.
Peck was a guest speaker at one of the Chalk Talks at the beginning of the season. She talked about her 2 year stint assisting Stephanie White the last 2 years before she returned to broadcasting this season. The plan was for her to be at Vandy for 2 years to help White as she needed someone to start things going in Nashville while she finished the season coaching the Fever. Suffice to say Peck gave every indication at the Chalk Talk that she was VERY happy to be back announcing and I would be very surprised to see her take the UT job despite it being the place she started her coaching career as an assistant for Pat.

Reaction Score
Why hasn't Nikki been added to this? She is a woman and loves orange more than her Current schools colors

young-woman-with-fingers-crossed-at-home-picture-id153870980

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Peck would be a disaster. Would much rather take a risk with Lawson or Harper. Not surprised to hear the AD isnt willing to shell out $$. Tennessee isnt going to land a top coach unless they're willing to shell out big bucks.

Reaction Score
bballnut...are you afraid that you're going to end up getting a less than stellar hire now since it's taking so long and hearing that Fulmer isn't paying top $$?

This happened to us in baseball after going to the CWS. Cohen promised a "known commodity" that had been to Omaha numerous times, blah blah blah. We missed out on Schlossnagle, McDonnell and some other big names. I'm pleasantly surprised with Lemonis right now, but it's early.

Reaction Score
I do not understand why Peck is under consideration at all. Way more risk than reward to me.

Reality for Tennessee, is if they want a proven HC at a high level, they will have to open up their check books unless they grab a coach from a mid major.

Reaction Score
It's just really hard to find an elite coach. There aren't a lot of them out there, and there's no guarantee that anyone you hire will work out. Just because Holly is gone doesn't mean the next coach will be any better. A lot of people will not want the expectations of that job either.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I bet they're having a hard time hiring a new coach because they dragged Holly across the coals for a .700+ winning percentage. If they're not going to pay top dollar, why should a coach subject themselves to likely unreasonable expectations?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I bet they're having a hard time hiring a new coach because they dragged Holly across the coals for a .700+ winning percentage. If they're not going to pay top dollar, why should a coach subject themselves to likely unreasonable expectations?
I don't think Fulmer really cares much about Lady Vol basketball. He'll make a change, but big enough money to draw a major coach to Knoxville? Probably not. Solid money though, I'm sure.
Perfect.

Reaction Score
Fulmer is in Tampa meeting coaches and conducting interviews. He’s being thorough and deliberate with this hire. I’ve heard that several applicants are assistant coaches with men’s teams. Fulmer wants to get this right. The last thing he wants is to pick the wrong person and have to go through it all.again in four or five years.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Fulmer is in Tampa meeting coaches and conducting interviews. He’s being thorough and deliberate with this hire. I’ve heard that several applicants are assistant coaches with men’s teams. Fulmer wants to get this right. The last thing he wants is to pick the wrong person and have to go through it all.again in four or five years.

That sounds like a step backwards. A men's team assistant coach (by definition a man) over a proven women's head coach. :confused:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I do not understand why Peck is under consideration at all. Way more risk than reward to me.

Reality for Tennessee, is if they want a proven HC at a high level, they will have to open up their check books unless they grab a coach from a mid major.

That's the issue. I'm seeing folks on VolNation denigrating the idea of hiring a mid-major coach. But hiring a successful P5 coach is going to cost big $ and they already had to pay to get rid of Holly. They're not going to fork over enough money to give someone like Walz a big raise.

So that leaves you with top assistants, mid-major coaches, or out-of-the-box choices like Lawson (and I feel like Lawson already makes good money for less--or at least less stressful--work).

They are going to screw around with candidates like Carolyn Peck (lol) while places like Penn State and Georgia Tech snap up the best mid-major candidates to move up.

Kellie Harper just seems like such an obvious good fit, but I guess some folks think it would be admitting defeat because it's not a huge name. Their dream that everyone would drop what they were doing and head to Knoxville for the same or less money is being shattered.

Reaction Score
I almost wish Kellie Harper would tell them no ... that being a VFL isn't enough to give up being appreciated at Missouri State vs never being good enough at Tennessee.

wrt hiring an established winning coach, IIRC the list of WBB coaches who have taken more than one team to the final four consists of:
Vivian Stringer
Gary Blair

Coaches who took a team to the final four or better and didn't get there at another school:
Peck
Goestenkoers
Sonja Hogg
Jim Foster

Who have I missed in either group? A lot of this reflects how the coaches with the most FF appearances have never moved after making it. Stanford was Tara's 3rd HC job. Muffet was at Lehigh before ND. Geno wasn't a HC before UConn. Summitt wasn't even an assistant.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
As an avid VolNation hater, here is my list of coaches that have been named by VN that I do want hired (and continue their misery):
1. Nikki FArgas (mostly to help our colleague @SECbbfan24)
2. Gail Gostekhors as she’s been out of the game too long and failed miserably at Texas following a legend.
3. Caroline Peck as she failed mightily at Florida after Purdue, did not help Vanderbilt at all and would expose how out of touch she is.
4. Kelly Jolly Harper for all the good she did THIS YEAR, She’s in her 7th year at Mizzou State so it’s not like she’s a quick trajectory improver. She also failed in collassol fashion at NC State before Wes took over. Also, UT has a nepotism rule that’s would have to be waived for her husband to coach with her.
5. Felicia Leggett Jack that yes, she’s done well with UB but handling the UT expectations is another animal altogether. Georgia Tech might be a better option for her sanity.
6. Kara Lawson- she did coachsome USA 3x3 teams so she does have some experience but she also knows the situation and she has a great gig going. While I think she’s would be good, hopefully she stays a broadcaster
7. Wes Moore has Tennessee state history from Chattanooga and would kill it at UT with all that talent and opportunity to recruit elite players. It’s too logical for Fulmer not to contact him. However, Wes is 61 and has done great at NCState and will get a big pay raise and is building something special there! Stay there Wes, stay there!
In short that’s the list I am aware of sorted worst to best! Don’t let me down Phil!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For me, Wes Moore would be my ideal pick but the only issue is his age. I think he is 61 but not sure how long he wants to coach. He is a great coach and would have a lot more resources at Tennessee than say NC State. I would shamefully be sorta a Tennessee fan if he were the coach. I respect him a lot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom