Next UT coach?....... | The Boneyard

Next UT coach?.......

Reaction Score
I have zero clue, but, in IMHO, Tennessee would be smart to go after Dawn Staley at USC.....Bring in the best coach to bring respect back to a once wonderful program.....Tennessee has the $$$$ to offer her a deal she can't refuse...…..

Reaction Score
I have zero clue, but, in IMHO, Tennessee would be smart to go after Dawn Staley at USC.....Bring in the best coach to bring respect back to a once wonderful program.....Tennessee has the $$$$ to offer her a deal she can't refuse...…..
She has one of the best recruiting classes coming in and she has a Summit like following in SC. If she stays at SC, she will have a statue right next to A'ja's. I think she wouldn't even consider it if someone called her.

Reaction Score
She has one of the best recruiting classes coming in and she has a Summit like following in SC. If she stays at SC, she will have a statue right next to A'ja's. I think she wouldn't even consider it if someone called her.
Agree, UT does not have enough $$$ to get Dawn to think about leaving SC. UT likely to settle for upcoming coach and save the $$$$ for football.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
So does USC; I don’t think Tennessee can outbid us; they’re paying umpteen former coaches. As mentioned above, Dawn has the number one class coming in and she is beloved in Columbia.

Reaction Score
I’m not going to go over all the reason “why” ...just again going to state ( and imo dismiss) the cited reasons as to “why not”.....regardless of not having prior coaching experience and in full recognition that she has a solid TV gig going for her....I STILL believe Kara Lawson would prove to be an outstanding choice for the Lady Vols.

Reaction Score
I really like Wes Moore a lot. He has done a helluva job
I do too. He's really a great coach. But he's also 61. If I were a program trying to get back to the top. I would want a coach a little younger that will be around for a lot longer. JMO.

Reaction Score
Although Cori Close is form California, she should be in consideration for Tennessee. She’s done a lot more with less talent at UCLA, than what Tennessee has had in the past few years

Reaction Score
Ex-UVA coach Debbie Ryan recently said that she was involved in trying to recruit Dawn to fill the UVA open position before Tina Thompson was hired. She said we were really close to getting her, until SC made a counter offer she couldn’t refuse. She described it as “basically a lifetime contract”. So if that’s accurate, along with Dawn’s top recruiting class, it’s highly unlikely the Vols get her.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Ex-UVA coach Debbie Ryan recently said that she was involved in trying to recruit Dawn to fill the UVA open position before Tina Thompson was hired. She said we were really close to getting her, until SC made a counter offer she couldn’t refuse. She described it as “basically a lifetime contract”. So if that’s accurate, along with Dawn’s top recruiting class, it’s highly unlikely the Vols get her.

Pretty much. On top of her base salary, which will be well over 2 million at the end of her current contract, SC also offered her something akin to a “retirement package”. I don’t know the economics behind it, but I’ve heard it’s pretty damn lucrative.

If she leaves us it won’t be for money. It’ll be to coach on a more prominent level, which IMO means men’s basketball.

Reaction Score
UConn or Non Tennessee fans: thoughts on Kelli Harper becoming the next UT coach. I think it would be a solid hire. Has her husband with her two small kids. Vol fans adore her. Brought MSU to a sweet sixteen and went wire to wire with Stanford. Again her teams knew the scouting report and had basic fundamental skills to go along with it. I would be skeptic of her time at NC State. Then again that was awhile ago and she was following a legend. She looks and fits the picture.

Reaction Score
Last time Gamecock Nation was worried about Dawn leaving was 7 years ago when Ohio St. asked USC to interview her. Our AD nipped that and took care of Dawn and she never took the interview. Few if any batted an eye last year when the UVA job opened last year. Dawn’s family roots run deep with South Carolina and when you add in her time with the WNBA’s Sting, she’s spent a long time in or near South Carolina.

Watching Kelli Harper coaching yesterday, I certainly felt some feelings of deja vu. Her mannerisms remind me a lot of Pat. She would be a good hire for the orange and powder blues but her stint in Raleigh has them freaked out about the possible hire.

Reaction Score
I do too. He's really a great coach. But he's also 61. If I were a program trying to get back to the top. I would want a coach a little younger that will be around for a lot longer. JMO.

from what I've read on the LV board, other then his age, the biggest coaching question about Wes Moore seems to be whether he wears a hairpiece or just goes to a lousy barber.............................:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I would think Katie Meier of Miami or Sue Semrau from Florida State would both be worthy candidates............as a UConn fan, I know I wouldn't want to see either of them taking over the reigns as they actually know what they're doing....................;)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
A couple of thoughts -
First time in Tennessee women's basketball history that they are doing a head coach search.
Second, will UT hire a female or will they go for a male coach. Fan base is fractured on this one.
Third, how much is UT willing to spend? Holly was making under a million. Are they willing to spend $1.5 million or more for a proven P5 coach?
Fourth, are the rumored transfer (s) a reality or just rumors. And how will that play for a new coach?

I have absolutely no idea who UT will go after. The names are out there. I get a sense Fulmer has not gone "a callin'" on candidates. But you never know.

Reaction Score
I just looked over on the Vols board and wow, they are an angry lot! I thought there would be more on potential hires, but there is still a lot on Holly - how she was fired and conducted herself after being fired and even that she might (gasp!) be a Democrat!! :eek:
A lot still hoping for Walz and some claiming Harper is in and even their own resident "better coach, can be there tomorrow"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom