Next UT coach?....... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Next UT coach?.......

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
For me, Wes Moore would be my ideal pick but the only issue is his age. I think he is 61 but not sure how long he wants to coach. He is a great coach and would have a lot more resources at Tennessee than say NC State. I would shamefully be sorta a Tennessee fan if he were the coach. I respect him a lot.
If that happens, you being a Tenn fan, you’re dead to me and all that goodwill created these past few months wasted! Head bang
Respectfully,
DefenseBB :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
If that happens, you being a Tenn fan, you’re dead to me and all that goodwill created these past few months wasted! Head bang
Respectfully,
DefenseBB :rolleyes:

lol I wouldn't be a Tennessee fan but I do like the guy a lot

Tennessee fans might implode if a male coach is hired though. I don't think it should matter if they hire a great coach. Just my opinion.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
bballnut...are you afraid that you're going to end up getting a less than stellar hire now since it's taking so long and hearing that Fulmer isn't paying top $$?

This happened to us in baseball after going to the CWS. Cohen promised a "known commodity" that had been to Omaha numerous times, blah blah blah. We missed out on Schlossnagle, McDonnell and some other big names. I'm pleasantly surprised with Lemonis right now, but it's early.

We arent going to get a top coach unless we shell out $$. Money talks. Coaches are also smart and realize this is a difficult fan base and position to take on. Anything less than a Final Four in the next 2-3 years is likely going to be a disappointment. Where else (besides maybe UCONN) are there expectations like that? So when you have a person like Walz or Staley or whoever being recruited and the offer is a massive pay cut to take on a more difficult, higher stress position and leave your established program and fan base that you created....no one in their right mind would jump ship. If we want someone good, we need to pay for it. Otherwise we are going to get a mediocre hire, and it looks like we might be going that route.

Reaction Score

John Brice has worked for Volquest and 247 sports so might still have contacts...

Reaction Score
I still can’t imagine Kara giving up that nice job she has even with the appeal of restoring her Alma Mater, That being said if I’m a recruit and I see Kara Lawson who is all over the TV that’s appealing and if she hires the correct staff it could work Since she doesn’t have any coaching experience.

Reaction Score

John Brice has worked for Volquest and 247 sports so might still have contacts...

giphy.gif

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm always skeptical of candidates with no coaching experience (3x3 for a few weeks in the summer doesn't count). You can know the game of basketball inside and out, but running a major D1 program is something else entirely.

Reaction Score
I still can’t imagine Kara giving up that nice job she has even with the appeal of restoring her Alma Mater, That being said if I’m a recruit and I see Kara Lawson who is all over the TV that’s appealing and if she hires the correct staff it could work Since she doesn’t have any coaching experience.
Not really ESPN broadcasters don’t make the salary of a head coach of a university and she could always return to broadcasting if it doesn’t work out.

Reaction Score
I loved Lawson as a player and she's great on ESPN but she shouldn't be a candidate for a D1 head coaching job based on her experience. I read and sometimes post at Volnation and the fans keep saying names like "Waltz, Mulkey, Staley, Vic, Rueck, Hammon" I am not sure any of those would leave their current situations for Knoxville so the next layer are mid major coaches.

Lawson is a brilliant woman who could do most any job in the world and be successful but if she wants to get into coaching she should take an assistant job for a few seasons.

Reaction Score
According to Tennessee booster source Kara Lawson is a done deal to Tennessee.

That would be a very poor hire. Why would you hire someone with zero coaching experience and running a D1 program?

I don't doubt she knows the X's and O's go the game but implementing it to college kids and being able to develop a program is a whole other monster.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
That would be a very poor hire. Why would you hire someone with zero coaching experience and running a D1 program?

Her LVol resume, name recognition for recruiting, an apparently sharp mind and her work with USA basketball goes a very long way. They could do alot worse imho.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
According to Tennessee booster source Kara Lawson is a done deal to Tennessee.
Wow, frankly I'm shocked by this. A lot of Vol fans have been asking for her, but I just think it's really a dice roll to go with someone with zero coaching experience outside of a single stint as USAB 3x3.

Reaction Score
She knows the game almost as good as anyone. Has earned respect and is a household name. Surround her with some talented assistants and you’re set. I know Fulmer isn’t going in this blindly and I’ve heard a lot of lady vol alumni have been apart of making a decision as well.

Reaction Score
KL has the advantge of not just being an analyst, but she's a tough analyst -- she's not gonna play around as HC, and that's something the LVs definitely need.

Still I'm dubious on these one-time tweets. Last week we were hearing that Walz was aggressively campaigning behind the scenes for the job. The final reporting was that neither side was ever interested.

Reaction Score
Mr Finch also said that Legette-Jack was the next coach at Penn St, so ... salt ... grain of ...

Reaction Score
Not really ESPN broadcasters don’t make the salary of a head coach of a university and she could always return to broadcasting if it doesn’t work out.

And ESPN isn't exactly secure employment.

Reaction Score
And ESPN isn't exactly secure employment.

Kara Lawson can second guess with the best of them and I appreciate that. It's a nice skill.

I'm not sure that suggests she's any kind of coach, but I suppose there are plenty of examples of players stepping right into and doing ok.

Dawn Staley was still active when she started winning at Temple.

Pretty tough to start your first job at that level with huge expectations.

The again, there should be plenty of experienced staff with Vols ties to possibly bring in to help.

Reaction Score
Kara Lawson can second guess with the best of them and I appreciate that. It's a nice skill.

I'm not sure that suggests she's any kind of coach, but I suppose there are plenty of examples of players stepping right into and doing ok.

Dawn Staley was still active when she started winning at Temple.

Pretty tough to start your first job at that level with huge expectations.

The again, there should be plenty of experienced staff with Vols ties to possibly bring in to help.

Kara has been around the game for a long time. Maybe not as a coach but as an observer. She has always come across as articulate and insightful and she speaks in complete sentences. That may not mean much to fans but to a UT trustee it means a great deal. And AD's like making Bds of Trustees happy.
The only drawback I can see is that she has no contacts that I know in HS/AAU basketball. ESPN doesn't cover it. But with her well-known face and the UT brand she would be recognized in HS gyms.

When you come down to it I think Tenn needs to let go of the past. Whoever is the HC needs not to have to be second-guessed by a ghost sitting in an empty chair for every game. The Brits have it right, the queen is dead, long live the king/queen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom