Next UT coach?....... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Next UT coach?.......

Reaction Score
A couple of thoughts -
First time in Tennessee women's basketball history that they are doing a head coach search.
Second, will UT hire a female or will they go for a male coach. Fan base is fractured on this one.
Third, how much is UT willing to spend? Holly was making under a million. Are they willing to spend $1.5 million or more for a proven P5 coach?
Fourth, are the rumored transfer (s) a reality or just rumors. And how will that play for a new coach?

I have absolutely no idea who UT will go after. The names are out there. I get a sense Fulmer has not gone "a callin'" on candidates. But you never know.
UT should select : The best Woman or Man for the job. Age, gender, etc in today's Tenn will not be a consideration. 61 is young with experience which only comes with age and doing the job.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UT should select : The best Woman or Man for the job. Age, gender, etc in today's Tenn will not be a consideration. 61 is young with experience which only comes with age and doing the job.
You can't have it both ways. Age and gender must be a consideration for determining the "best" next coach-unless TN hires a robot to be the next coach.

Reaction Score
I am guessing that the previously reported tweet that it was going to be Walz was another instance of fake news. I believe if he had indeed accepted the new job prior to Sunday's game, he would not have stayed with his "old" team much after the game. And it would be all over the interwebs if he was no longer with the Louisville players.
Ah, the interwebs, gotta love it.

Reaction Score
I am guessing that the previously reported tweet that it was going to be Walz was another instance of fake news. I believe if he had indeed accepted the new job prior to Sunday's game, he would not have stayed with his "old" team much after the game. And it would be all over the interwebs if he was no longer with the Louisville players.
Ah, the interwebs, gotta love it.
I never took the Walz rumors seriously. Too much money for UT to spend!

Reaction Score
Pretty much. On top of her base salary, which will be well over 2 million at the end of her current contract, SC also offered her something akin to a “retirement package”. I don’t know the economics behind it, but I’ve heard it’s pretty damn lucrative.

If she leaves us it won’t be for money. It’ll be to coach on a more prominent level, which IMO means men’s basketball.

Staley's current contract pays her 2.1m in 2024-2025.

Last year, USC added a life insurance benefit that will pay 300k a year for 5 seasons into a policy with cash value that Staley can borrow against.

I don't understand how it works at all, but this is how the State rather unsuccessfully (as to me) tried to explain it:

Making sense of that $1.5 million figure for Dawn Staley that's not actually a bonus

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Here's what I'm wondering: If the next coach is Harper or Walz or any other coach no longer competing in the postseason, do they announce it this week or wait until after the NC game?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
You know, Kim, people are going to start making assumptions if you wear suits in that awful shade of Tennessee orange... :rolleyes:
B522E979-EA00-44BB-B8B1-8F137A26836A.png

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I would think Katie Meier of Miami or Sue Semrau from Florida State would both be worthy candidates..as a UConn fan, I know I wouldn't want to see either of them taking over the reigns as they actually know what they're doing.....;)
I agree; I think Kellie Harper is a fall back option. If she is the current focus, their higher choices already said no, in my opinion.

Reaction Score
UT is one of those rare programs at this point in time that has to factor in the dynamic of staying inside the “family” or going outside the “family” similar to the UNC men’s program - it burned UNC when they hired Doherty but saved them when they got Williams to come back from KU. That’s why someone like Harper may be more than a fall back option. It’s a dynamic that most other programs don’t face. Those of us outside the program have a different view the landscape. I think it will be very interesting to watch. The AD has to be global with his view while being in touch with a passionate fan base.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
UT is one of those rare programs at this point in time that has to factor in the dynamic of staying inside the “family” or going outside the “family” similar to the UNC men’s program - it burned UNC when they hired Doherty but saved them when they got Williams to come back from KU. That’s why someone like Harper may be more than a fall back option. It’s a dynamic that most other programs don’t face. Those of us outside the program have a different view the landscape. I think it will be very interesting to watch. The AD has to be global with his view while being in touch with a passionate fan base.
I soooooo want to make a joke about that state after this post.

Seriously, I think using that as a hiring consideration is a huge mistake.

Reaction Score

I totally agree with you. But for some crazy reason it happens. Similar to that “coach in waiting” designation. I, for one, prefer the clean break approach.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Agree. I love Kellie Harper but there's no reason why she should be targeted over the likes of other mid-major coaches including Fortier, Banghart, Krieger, etc. The only difference is she's an alum.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Agree. I love Kellie Harper but there's no reason why she should be targeted over the likes of other mid-major coaches including Fortier, Banghart, Krieger, etc. The only difference is she's an alum.
Sure there is. She just led her team deeper into the tournament than any of those coaches.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I had missed this where Muffet chimed in on the Tennessee job:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Sure there is. She just led her team deeper into the tournament than any of those coaches.

Having watched Missouri State in person, I was astonished by how unathletic they appeared. Only Danielle Gitzen looked like a Power 5 caliber talent.

If she can get that group to the Sweet 16, she ought to be able to get Tennessee at least that far and beyond.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Having watched Missouri State in person, I was astonished by how unathletic they appeared. Only Danielle Gitzen looked like a Power 5 caliber talent.

If she can get that group to the Sweet 16, she ought to be able to get Tennessee at least that far and beyond.
I tend to agree. I think it's a mistake to conclude with any certainty that Harper's lack of success at NC State means she can't succeed at Tennessee. Those are two completely different jobs and different environments. Never mind the fact that she's no doubt evolved and learned a lot since then, and the fact that she's a LVFL.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom