Next season | The Boneyard

Next season

Reaction Score
The rash of injuries got me thinking to what a full roster would look like next year. We have only two seniors, granted two very good seniors, but that is fewer than any other team in the top ten. Of course some of those seniors on other teams may stick around for the and one, but there is going to be a mad scramble in the transfer portal, maybe even some poaching going on.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The rash of injuries got me thinking to what a full roster would look like next year. We have only two seniors, granted two very good seniors, but that is fewer than any other team in the top ten. Of course some of those seniors on other teams may stick around for the and one, but there is going to be a mad scramble in the transfer portal, maybe even some poaching going on.
Ya think? :eek: I think 3 words can describe next year for us............................"it's our year." ;) Geno will have a full roster (14 or 15 players depending on if Aubrey Griffin comes back. She's eligible for the draft. Her HS class graduates college in May) complete with uber talented players from top to bottom. I fully expect Ayanna and Amari to improve their game over the summer and hit their stride next year and become part of the regular 8-9 player rotation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just Paige, Azzi, CD, AE and Nika are a NC team. Geno will have tough time to distribute the minutes next year.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
I'm going to ignore this "thread". I have a feeling if I hang around I'll be seeing starting lineups that doesn't include " you know who" and I will start putting "posters" on my ignore list.

Reaction Score
Ya think? :eek: I think 3 words can describe next year for us............................"it's our year." ;) Geno will have a full roster (14 or 15 players depending on if Aubrey Griffin comes back. She's eligible for the draft. Her HS class graduates college in May) complete with uber talented players from top to bottom. I fully expect Ayanna and Amari to improve their game over the summer and hit their stride next year and become part of the regular 8-9 player rotation.
I'm loving heading into this fantasy... how ironic we're talking '23-24 on the near-eve of the South Carolina game, when it could possibly be (but hopefully not) our final time playing Aliyah Boston.

I'll just throw a dose of reality - actually, more so caution - into the mix. For all the analyses of what the Huskies' roster will look like next season, and it surely will look mighty fine, I'm still waiting for the day when Paige and Azzi are healthy on the court, together and/or separately.

They both have suffered through injury-plagued careers to this point. As great as Paige has been for the Huskies, and as much potential as Azzi has, I still feel the need to keep my fingers and toes crossed and offer a few prayers that those two wonderful young women can stay healthy, once and whenever that will be. If that comes to pass, it surely will be Huskies Nirvana!

Reaction Score
Aubrey is a senior and can leave.
They are all seniors. Aubrey is a redshirt Junior and has two years of eligibility left. Its fairly atypical for players to leave without using all four years of eligibility and even 5 years if they aren't a first round WNBA pick.

Reaction Score
Last year at this point everyone was saying wait until next year when everyone is healthy. The team they have is good enough to win but how do they overcome the fatigue of playing so many minutes? The one absolute they need to win the NC is Nika at the point. She is the energy that makes the team go.

Reaction Score
I remember when Paige and Azzi were gonna win 4 straight National Championships. There’s a good chance that neither will win one.
Whoa! That’s a bridge too far! Sure, it’s possible they might not win a Natty but “a good chance”? I don’t think so. It’s not as if everyone else on the team are scrubs! UConn will be one of the most talented teams ever for at least two years if Paige stays for her Covid year which, I think is likely. If they stay healthy, they are very likely to win at lest one of those.

Reaction Score
I remember when Paige and Azzi were gonna win 4 straight National Championships. There’s a good chance that neither will win one.
They can also leave with 2 and atleast two championship game appearances.

Reaction Score
not sure UConn will be the preseason number one ranked team to start next season...........if South Carolina wins the NC this season and Boston leaves they still may be considered talented enough to be ranked number one...........also depends on if the Stanford seniors stay for an additional year.......

Reaction Score
A good chance ??? They'll be the prohibited favorites next year and as my mama used to say,,,,payback is a b***h

Reaction Score
I sense there is a growing consensus that Nika, Azzi and Paige will be the three G's or handle 1-3, and Aaliyah is in everybody's starting lineup, but the 5th starter has many candidates. Some include Aubrey if she returns, and some want four out, and would play CD at the 4 and Aaliyah at the 5.

Those could be very good, but I prefer another option, namely Ice at the 5 assuming she recovers nicely from her surgery. My reason for that is I want a two big lineup, not a four out scenario, and I want to keep Aaliyah at her best and natural position. If you play Caroline at the 4, you then must move Aaliyah to the 5, and neither player is at their best or natural position.

The other reason is we will have plenty of the traits a smaller lineup can give you with Nika, Azzi and Paige. Plenty of outside shooting, scoring off the dribble, passing and defense from that group.. Inside scoring, rebounding and interior defense to go with Aaliyah is a much bigger priority.

It doesn't have to be Ice, it could be Janna, but if someone can take that C position the rest of the starting lineup and bench will be terrific. The biggest issue with our C candidates including Amari, is a lack of proven experience and granted that is a big question mark, but if any of them come thru, it will be like a cherry on top of the sundae, with impressive prospects off the bench for everyone.

I really don't expect us to show much interest in the portal this year, but if there was a Dorka level grad transfer C type it might be worth a look, to give Ice and Jana a year to grow before we had to count on them.

Reaction Score
Portal? Don’t we already have 14 or 15 players on the list for next year? Do we have any scholarships left if Aubrey stays?

I get wanting to get a little more experience in the front court. It will be Aaliyah and a bunch of unproven players. By contrast, the backcourt will be loaded with talent and experience.

Reaction Score
Portal? Don’t we already have 14 or 15 players on the list for next year? Do we have any scholarships left if Aubrey stays?

I get wanting to get a little more experience in the front court. It will be Aaliyah and a bunch of unproven players. By contrast, the backcourt will be loaded with talent and experience.
You have 14 with Aubrey. I don’t think there is any reason to think Aubrey is leaving. She has 2 more years of eligibility left.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm loving heading into this fantasy... how ironic we're talking '23-24 on the near-eve of the South Carolina game, when it could possibly be (but hopefully not) our final time playing Aliyah Boston.

I'll just throw a dose of reality - actually, more so caution - into the mix. For all the analyses of what the Huskies' roster will look like next season, and it surely will look mighty fine, I'm still waiting for the day when Paige and Azzi are healthy on the court, together and/or separately.

They both have suffered through injury-plagued careers to this point. As great as Paige has been for the Huskies, and as much potential as Azzi has, I still feel the need to keep my fingers and toes crossed and offer a few prayers that those two wonderful young women can stay healthy, once and whenever that will be. If that comes to pass, it surely will be Huskies Nirvana!
Deacon, I don't usually contemplate or comment on next year's team until the season is over. But, after reading this comment, I had to add my 2 cents. Normally I don't like to look ahead past the next game, which is ALWAYS the most important game on our schedule. :cool:

Reaction Score
I hope everyone is correct with next year’s prognosi, but so far nether Paige or Azzi have proven they can make it through a season without getting injured. They’re both great talents. However, availability is still the greatest ability and it is yet to be seen.

Reaction Score
nobody with a realistic mindset thought that, South Carolina and Stanford aren't going away they continue to recruit top heavy. Now Ucla, Notre Dame, and North Carolina are recruiting well so there is no gimme's anymore.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom