Next season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Next season

JBK

Reaction Score
I sense there is a growing consensus that Nika, Azzi and Paige will be the three G's or handle 1-3, and Aaliyah is in everybody's starting lineup, but the 5th starter has many candidates. Some include Aubrey if she returns, and some want four out, and would play CD at the 4 and Aaliyah at the 5.

Those could be very good, but I prefer another option, namely Ice at the 5 assuming she recovers nicely from her surgery. My reason for that is I want a two big lineup, not a four out scenario, and I want to keep Aaliyah at her best and natural position. If you play Caroline at the 4, you then must move Aaliyah to the 5, and neither player is at their best or natural position.

The other reason is we will have plenty of the traits a smaller lineup can give you with Nika, Azzi and Paige. Plenty of outside shooting, scoring off the dribble, passing and defense from that group.. Inside scoring, rebounding and interior defense to go with Aaliyah is a much bigger priority.

It doesn't have to be Ice, it could be Janna, but if someone can take that C position the rest of the starting lineup and bench will be terrific. The biggest issue with our C candidates including Amari, is a lack of proven experience and granted that is a big question mark, but if any of them come thru, it will be like a cherry on top of the sundae, with impressive prospects off the bench for everyone.

I really don't expect us to show much interest in the portal this year, but if there was a Dorka level grad transfer C type it might be worth a look, to give Ice and Jana a year to grow before we had to count on them.
Hard to put Aubrey on the bench after this year. She will only get better.
CD will need to stay healthy and sub for one of the shooters

Reaction Score
Jana will have more than a half year's experience with the team by November. She should come flying out of the gate, and at a guess will be our best freshman next year.

Reaction Score
Jana will have more than a half year's experience with the team by November. She should come flying out of the gate, and at a guess will be our best freshman next year.
If she is, that would be wonderful. She'll have plenty of competition for that accolade from KK and Ashlynn, possibly Qadance?

Reaction Score
Hard to put Aubrey on the bench after this year. She will only get better.
CD will need to stay healthy and sub for one of the shooters
I imagine Aubrey might actually prefer coming off the bench -- the best 6th-woman in the land.

And since we've started down this road, let's get serious -- don't blame me for where this is going. I didn't start it.

The lineup for 23-4 would be Nika Paige Azzi Caroline Aaliyah-- with Aubrey Ayanna Ice coming off the bench. KK Ashlynn Inês Q Jana and Amari will have to fight for minutes against those 8.

The following year (24-5) Nika Paige Aubrey Aaliyah might be in the pros and it will be Azzi's team, and my forecast for the starters would be Azzi KK Caroline Ashlynn Ice -- with Inês Ayanna Amari Jana as first off the bench. Q Allie Adhel and Sarah Strong will be fighting for minutes after those 8.

The next year (25-6) it will be KK's team and the lineup will look like this: KK Ashlynn Q Ice Jana -- with Ayanna Sarah and Inês coming off the bench. Adhel Allie Sarah will be fighting for minutes with them.

Reaction Score
Virtually every senior in the country who isn’t a sure fire draft pick for the next two years will stay a fifth year. This year, both Joens and Berger, who were possible first round picks, elected to take the fifth year, along with the post player from Iowa. With upwards of a thousand players who are going to enter the portal, a thread like this shouldn’t even appear until after July 1st, when all of that off season stuff has taken place. As someone so aptly put, technically every player in college basketball is a senior. Everyone of them can end their career at their present school. No one can predict what is going to happen.

Reaction Score
Virtually every senior in the country who isn’t a sure fire draft pick for the next two years will stay a fifth year. This year, both Joens and Berger, who were possible first round picks, elected to take the fifth year, along with the post player from Iowa. With upwards of a thousand players who are going to enter the portal, a thread like this shouldn’t even appear until after July 1st, when all of that off season stuff has taken place. As someone so aptly put, technically every player in college basketball is a senior. Everyone of them can end their career at their present school. No one can predict what is going to happen.
And even then just because you are a draft pick doesn’t mean you’ll last long in the league.

Reaction Score
I sense there is a growing consensus that Nika, Azzi and Paige will be the three G's or handle 1-3, and Aaliyah is in everybody's starting lineup, but the 5th starter has many candidates. Some include Aubrey if she returns, and some want four out, and would play CD at the 4 and Aaliyah at the 5.

Those could be very good, but I prefer another option, namely Ice at the 5 assuming she recovers nicely from her surgery. My reason for that is I want a two big lineup, not a four out scenario, and I want to keep Aaliyah at her best and natural position. If you play Caroline at the 4, you then must move Aaliyah to the 5, and neither player is at their best or natural position.

The other reason is we will have plenty of the traits a smaller lineup can give you with Nika, Azzi and Paige. Plenty of outside shooting, scoring off the dribble, passing and defense from that group.. Inside scoring, rebounding and interior defense to go with Aaliyah is a much bigger priority.

It doesn't have to be Ice, it could be Janna, but if someone can take that C position the rest of the starting lineup and bench will be terrific. The biggest issue with our C candidates including Amari, is a lack of proven experience and granted that is a big question mark, but if any of them come thru, it will be like a cherry on top of the sundae, with impressive prospects off the bench for everyone.

I really don't expect us to show much interest in the portal this year, but if there was a Dorka level grad transfer C type it might be worth a look, to give Ice and Jana a year to grow before we had to count on them.

If Muhl starts then Bueckers will be forced to play her senior year at wing or else push Fudd to the 3. I just don't see Bueckers anywhere (to start games) but at pg. Not as long as Fudd, Griffin and Ducharme are there for the 2/3 slots. This way UConn has 3 amazing scorers at 1-3 and UConn can still have two post players at 4/5.
Bueckers is arguably the best pg in the country, maybe anywhere in wbb. Geno moved her to the 2/3 because Williams and Westbrook weren't Fudd and Ducharme. But as good as Muhl is at the point, Bueckers is at another level entirely. So Muhl will come off the bench, and when she is in she will play pg, but she won't start there.

Remember, Muhl came to UConn knowing she was going to back up Bueckers. Nothing has changed.

Reaction Score
If Muhl starts then Bueckers will be forced to play her senior year at wing or else push Fudd to the 3. I just don't see Bueckers anywhere (to start games) but at pg. Not as long as Fudd, Griffin and Ducharme are there for the 2/3 slots. This way UConn has 3 amazing scorers at 1-3 and UConn can still have two post players at 4/5.
Bueckers is arguably the best pg in the country, maybe anywhere in wbb. Geno moved her to the 2/3 because Williams and Westbrook weren't Fudd and Ducharme. But as good as Muhl is at the point, Bueckers is at another level entirely. So Muhl will come off the bench, and when she is in she will play pg, but she won't start there.

Remember, Muhl came to UConn knowing she was going to back up Bueckers. Nothing has changed.
Geno loves having a strong pg, but he’s not afraid of point guard by committee. I think he’d definitely start Nika Paige Azzi. This is also a set up Paige is used to from her last two years at Hopkins high school, where Amaya Battle was nominally the starting pg. This trio would give Geno the intensity he likes as well as some serious scoring punch. And with Caroline and Aubrey trading at the 4, we could play small ball and run a fierce transition game, and switch to Ice Ayanna Amari or Jana next to Aaliyah for a twin big set.

Reaction Score

Everything has changed. Forced to play her senior year at the wing???? My goodness gracious; even Paige has said that Nika should be the point.

Reaction Score

You may be right but I agree with those that feel that the three starting guards will be Nika, Paige and Azzi. As to your last line, 'nothing has changed', I would suggest a tremendous amount has changed in terms of Nika. When she arrived did anyone expect her to lead the nation in assists per game any given season, to set the Huskies records in assist/per game, double digit assists and (fingers crossed) most assists in a season or to become the leader of the team on and off the court?

She has matured tremendously this season, earned the trust of her teammates and coaches and raised her numbers in virtually every category this season as well. I would call that a great deal of change. Paige is a generational talent, as quite likely Azzi is as well and both have played exceptionally alongside Nika. How many times in the past has Geno moved the player that has anchored the defense, led the team in minutes, served as his floor general and served as the acknowledged team leader from a starting role to a backup position on the bench for her senior season? That's what I thought and I don't think next season will be the first time that has happened. Nika is unquestionably not a better player than Paige, but the team is a better team with both rather than one or the other on the floor.

Reaction Score
I imagine Aubrey might actually prefer coming off the bench -- the best 6th-woman in the land.

And since we've started down this road, let's get serious -- don't blame me for where this is going. I didn't start it.

The lineup for 23-4 would be Nika Paige Azzi Caroline Aaliyah-- with Aubrey Ayanna Ice coming off the bench. KK Ashlynn Inês Q Jana and Amari will have to fight for minutes against those 8.

The following year (24-5) Nika Paige Aubrey Aaliyah might be in the pros and it will be Azzi's team, and my forecast for the starters would be Azzi KK Caroline Ashlynn Ice -- with Inês Ayanna Amari Jana as first off the bench. Q Allie Adhel and Sarah Strong will be fighting for minutes after those 8.

The next year (25-6) it will be KK's team and the lineup will look like this: KK Ashlynn Q Ice Jana -- with Ayanna Sarah and Inês coming off the bench. Adhel Allie Sarah will be fighting for minutes with them.
We need bigs or this lineup will not go too far against the top teams with height. Uconn needs to step up their recruiting of bigs. It seems that our recruiting has dropped off some since Shea left the program.

Reaction Score
We need bigs or this lineup will not go too far against the top teams with height. Uconn needs to step up their recruiting of bigs. It seems that our recruiting has dropped off some since Shea left the program.
Agree!

Reaction Score
It's wishful thinking to believe that this is NIka's team. As good as she is playing this year, she will not supplant PB. PB is probably the best pg in the women's game today. Sorry Nika. NIka will see big time mainly for her defense. A good off guard. Also, no Caroline in the starting 5 next year. She will not supplant Aubrey, who will likely improve her overall shooting by next year. Also, CD cannot match Aubrey on defense, no way, no how, no day. CD is the perfect 6th man, so to speak. Aaliyah is a solid rock for next year. She can and will likely improve her offensive and defensive game. Azzi, is a question mark regarding whether she will be healthy. Unfortunately she has really weak knees (as a result of injuries in HS). Will she ever be 100 % healthy. ( Doubtful ) The wars for the 5 spot will commence at the end of the season. Ice v Jana v Amari. Ice and Amari likely subs.

Reaction Score
Geno loves having a strong pg, but he’s not afraid of point guard by committee. I think he’d definitely start Nika Paige Azzi. This is also a set up Paige is used to from her last two years at Hopkins high school, where Amaya Battle was nominally the starting pg. This trio would give Geno the intensity he likes as well as some serious scoring punch. And with Caroline and Aubrey trading at the 4, we could play small ball and run a fierce transition game, and switch to Ice Ayanna Amari or Jana next to Aaliyah for a twin big set.
At Hopkins and in '21 Bueckers was moved because she was the primary scorer. Next year she won't need to be, there are several other options. The other problem with Muhl starting is the you either have a front court of 6'3 Edwards and 6'1 Griffin. That's mighty small considering that I expect next year's schedule to at least as competitive as this year's.
Muhl will get lots of time at pg as Bueckers rests and plays some 2 or 3.

Actually I'm happy to see Muhl's support. I was among the few last June who thought she would make improvements this season and be a major force off the bench. It was not a popular opinion and now the thought of her moving back to a sub role upsets some. That's improvement I like.

Reaction Score
You may be right but I agree with those that feel that the three starting guards will be Nika, Paige and Azzi. As to your last line, 'nothing has changed', I would suggest a tremendous amount has changed in terms of Nika. When she arrived did anyone expect her to lead the nation in assists per game any given season, to set the Huskies records in assist/per game, double digit assists and (fingers crossed) most assists in a season or to become the leader of the team on and off the court?

She has matured tremendously this season, earned the trust of her teammates and coaches and raised her numbers in virtually every category this season as well. I would call that a great deal of change. Paige is a generational talent, as quite likely Azzi is as well and both have played exceptionally alongside Nika. How many times in the past has Geno moved the player that has anchored the defense, led the team in minutes, served as his floor general and served as the acknowledged team leader from a starting role to a backup position on the bench for her senior season? That's what I thought and I don't think next season will be the first time that has happened. Nika is unquestionably not a better player than Paige, but the team is a better team with both rather than one or the other on the floor.
I'm a huge Muhl supporter. Been one since she arrived. There's no stat for energy and attitude.

But as good a pg as she is, Bueckers is far better. Shooting and scoring? But Bueckers is also a better ball handler, a better passer and has far superior court vision.

It's not a demotion for Muhl.

Also, as I stated in another post, Edwards/Griffin is a very small front court which is another huge problem starting your three guards. Griffin will be trying to go pro at wing and Edwards at the 4 and Geno won't put her at the 4 and move Edwards to the 5 when he has other options. Edwards stays at the 4, Griffin starts at wing and one of the other posts plays a 4/5 position. Edwards and Griffin are not going to be moved out of position just so Muhl can start.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom