Next season | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Next season

Reaction Score
The Big East Tournament is two weeks away. Isn't it time that we acknowledge the reality that neither Azzi or Caroline, if either plays, will be a determinative factor in a run for the national championship? If that is so (and it has been a long time since either competed at full speed), then perhaps these young women should pack it in for this season and look to next season. Given the covid year, such a move could have a major impact on their future eligibility.
The reality is no one who posts on this board knows if Azzi and/or Caroline will be back and if they are whether they will be a determinative factor or not. That may be your belief but I bet not many others share that same sentiment.

Reaction Score
Did I miss something? Didn't someone post a rule that we are not allowed to post names about transfers in or out? Yet earlier in this thread someone posted about Maddy coming over from Villanova.

Reaction Score
The Big East Tournament is two weeks away. Isn't it time that we acknowledge the reality that neither Azzi or Caroline, if either plays, will be a determinative factor in a run for the national championship? If that is so (and it has been a long time since either competed at full speed), then perhaps these young women should pack it in for this season and look to next season. Given the covid year, such a move could have a major impact on their future eligibility.
I feel the opposite. How would two scorers off the bench not be determinative factors in an NCAA run? Neither of them get a covid year, they both would lose out on eligibility.

We also have 5 starters who are all battling injurires, even a Caroline or Azzi at 10% would help give them a breather. Or if one of the starters gets injured we will need more bodies in general. Unless you pack everyone in for the rest of the season, no reason to pack them away.

JBK

Reaction Score
We need bigs or this lineup will not go too far against the top teams with height. Uconn needs to step up their recruiting of bigs. It seems that our recruiting has dropped off some since Shea left the program.
I believe since we got Paige and Azzi our recruiting has gotten much better.

Reaction Score
Ya think? :eek: I think 3 words can describe next year for us............................"it's our year." ;) Geno will have a full roster (14 or 15 players depending on if Aubrey Griffin comes back. She's eligible for the draft. Her HS class graduates college in May) complete with uber talented players from top to bottom. I fully expect Ayanna and Amari to improve their game over the summer and hit their stride next year and become part of the regular 8-9 player rotation.
Only weak area is center. Someone from Amari, Ice, Jana or someone else coming in will have to provide quality minutes here. I don't think Ayanna is tall enough. Could have Aaliyah too at the center spot but that isn't ideal.

Reaction Score
Would you be kind enough to explain the basis for your opinions?

The Covid year is for anyone playing in 2020z both Azzi and Caroline were still in high school. They aren’t eligible to red shirt because they’ve played too many games.

Reaction Score
I was glad you had my back last summer. If Paige hadn’t gotten injured we might not have seen just how great a pg Nika would become. And now that we have, Paige will return to a different team, an even better one.

Exactly. This is our small lineup. And our big lineup will be awesome too. As I’ve suggested, a lineup of Nika Paige Azzi Caroline/Aubrey will be formidable. It’s a transition lineup, a hustle lineup, a shoot the lights out lineup. A minor adjustment — bring Ice or Ayanna in for Nika and it’s a big lineup. Bring in Amari and you have Paige Azzi Ayanna Aaliyah Amari and we’re bigger than any team we’ll face, but still unpressable.

The core lineup — the small one — is the key. The others are just variations on it. We could run it for 20 mins/game and not have to give any ground to anyone.
Unless either Ayanna or Amari makes a big leap, it limits offense too much to have both playing together at same time.

JBK

Reaction Score
Well said. I am not going to debate with anyone on whether Paige or Nika should start at the point - but if we do not get the 23 TO in check we will never win the NC next year
If we are healthy - we should be the favorite.
Aubrey may just get better and better if she stays healthy.
Let’s not forget that a healthy Paige is an amazing distributor of the BB and limits careless mistakes
A really good problem to have. ( talent and potential scoring 9/10 deep )
If Jana is the next Brianna Stewart the whole discussion changes. ( of course we do not know her talent level )

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Only weak area is center. Someone from Amari, Ice, Jana or someone else coming in will have to provide quality minutes here. I don't think Ayanna is tall enough. Could have Aaliyah too at the center spot but that isn't ideal.
I agree. I’m not sure Geno would recruit (from the portal) on top of Ice, Amari and Jana. I’m assuming these willbe our 3 post players next year. One of them should earn a starting position. Finding a servicable post player in the portal is difficult, as they are usually the first to be taken. He needs to make that decision in early April.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Did I miss something? Didn't someone post a rule that we are not allowed to post names about transfers in or out? Yet earlier in this thread someone posted about Maddy coming over from Villanova.
Boneyarders may not speculate on transfers out. They may not say, “I think she should consider transferring” or “If Geno doesn’t play her, she’ll probably transfer” or similar. We allowed it years ago and the thread always had to be locked, if not deleted

Discussion of a transfer out that’s been announced via a credible source (not your niece’s AAU coach or student gossip for example) is ok.

Discussion or speculation on transfers in is ok. The transfer portal and avail players was a huge topic last year.

Reaction Score
Boneyarders may not speculate on transfers out. They may not say, “I think she should consider transferring” or “If Geno doesn’t play her, she’ll probably transfer” or similar. We allowed it years ago and the thread always had to be locked, if not deleted

Discussion of a transfer out that’s been announced via a credible source (not your niece’s AAU coach or student gossip for example) is ok.

Discussion or speculation on transfers in is ok. The transfer portal and avail players was a huge topic last year.
I thought we were at risk of being called boosters or insiders and saying some should transfer in to us could be considered tampering. I know Geno and the coaches and players cannot do it, boosters can't, can season ticket holders or rabid (rancid?) fans be tainted? I thought we were only supposed to mention someone after they signed up for the portal. But what do I know? Not much.

Reaction Score
Based on the returnees and recruits next year I see the greatest need as a post that can rebound, pass,
play some defense and score a few.
What do you think ?

Reaction Score
Interesting initial brain-scratcher there, HuskyNan, and good follow-up, Bills Fan.

- Did this thought come about because Dorka Juhasz is departing? While Dorka's a mobile post/forward, I think of Aaliyah Edwards as being the heavy-duty inside force for UConn; so, yes, I could see a player like Siegrest fitting into the scheme. Besides the scoring, she also averages 9.5 rpg. And most certainly, the ethos.

- But, I think Bills Fan is right about not taking accepting someone from the Big East. Besides, you don't want Harry Perretta coming out of retirement to bust you on the side of the head. ;)

- And Siegrest is ready for the next step. Her inside-outside combination will come in handy.

However, if she decides to further her NCAA playing time for one more year, I know a team she'd fit in with just fine with off Route 80. The one with the Golden Dome? She and Maddy Westbeld got along famously this summer ....:rolleyes:
(not gonna happen).
I have a technical question regarding a certain player in a unique situation that I will not name, but you could probably deduce. She played at an NAIA school for three years, then transferred to a traditional Division 1 powerhouse school that is currently ranked for her senior season.

She was a dominant 6-6 C having a sensational senior year and then suffered a serious season ending injury. She played too much this year to redshirt, and will not be recovered from knee surgery in time for the WNBA season. She could still be drafted although not available to play this next season in the league.

So would she be eligible for another year as a grad transfer because of the covid year, if she was not playing Division 1 basketball at that time? She might be able to return to her school, but because of her unique situation, her success making a big jump to a top Division 1 program, not being able to play in the WNBA yet, but probably being able to contribute part way thru the next college season and experience the NCAA tournament, I could see the appeal of being a great one year plug and play solution as a grad transfer for a great team that needs an experienced proven C. Know anybody who could use of those next year?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I thought we were at risk of being called boosters or insiders and saying some should transfer in to us could be considered tampering. I know Geno and the coaches and players cannot do it, boosters can't, can season ticket holders or rabid (rancid?) fans be tainted? I thought we were only supposed to mention someone after they signed up for the portal. But what do I know? Not much.
If you contact the player and try to convince her to come to UConn, that’s a NCAA violation. If you have a wish list of players that you hope transfer in and want to discuss them with other fans, it’s not a problem. Just don’t address yourself to a player

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The reality is no one who posts on this board knows if Azzi and/or Caroline will be back and if they are whether they will be a determinative factor or not. That may be your belief but I bet not many others share that same sentiment.
The Shadow knows, but he does not post or comment here. You're right, none of the rest of us know. We are guessing and speculating.

Reaction Score
I think of Paige Bueckers as being in the mold of Diana Taurasi, who can both pass and score. And Taurasi was never Connecticut's primary point guard: it was Sue Bird for her first two seasons and Maria Conlon for the last two. And Nika Muhl is more talented than Conlon. Where is there a rule that your shooting guard can't also get lots of assists as well as score?

Reaction Score
South Carolina is Senior laden specially with the bigs….Cardoso is good and she should return but without Boston and the rest of graduating Seniors she cannot carry them to a NC next year.
Stanford will always be great but if we avoid injuries next season we should be the favorite.
Had Paige been available for the SC game I have no doubt we would have won the game. Paige is Paige and very few are.
Is a long way to March as each day changes the dynamics of teams.
And for all those who so believe SC is unbeatable….remember this.
LOUISVILLE PULLS OFF A SHOCKER! 5-seed Cardinals STUN Brittney Griner & 1 Baylor, 82-81. Defending champ Lady Bears had 32-gm win streak
ADAEA359-304F-440C-9038-DE3323DE73F6.jpeg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
South Carolina is Senior laden specially with the bigs….Cardoso is good and she should return but without Boston and the rest of graduating Seniors she cannot carry them to a NC next year.
Stanford will always be great but if we avoid injuries next season we should be the favorite.
Had Paige been available for the SC game I have no doubt we would have won the game. Paige is Paige and very few are.
Is a long way to March as each day changes the dynamics of teams.
And for all those who so believe SC is unbeatable….remember this.
LOUISVILLE PULLS OFF A SHOCKER! 5-seed Cardinals STUN Brittney Griner & 1 Baylor, 82-81. Defending champ Lady Bears had 32-gm win streak
Ah, Shoni Schimmel and her Cardinal team. We had a Baylor fan on the Boneyard that complained endlessly about Louisville’s physical play in that game. I wonder how she feels about the state of women’s hoops now

Reaction Score
A lot of talk about team members next year but my bigger question is will next year be Geno's last year? After comments about ref's on TV and in press recap's throwing water bottle on court plus miss coaching games due to his health will he be riding off in to the sunset. What say you.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A lot of talk about team members next year but my bigger question is will next year be Geno's last year? After comments about ref's on TV and in press recap's throwing water bottle on court plus miss coaching games due to his health will he be riding off in to the sunset. What say you.
Don't think so personally. My guess is he goes the Jim Boeheim route and coaches for quite a while. He always talks about how similar he is to DT and I don't think either of them will stop doing what they love until they physically or mentally can't anymore. We will see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom