Newest Husky Ines Bettencourt [Merged thread] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Newest Husky Ines Bettencourt [Merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It is stunning how international the WCBB game is becoming. I noted that a large percentage of the rosters of the Top 25 WBB teams last year was composed of international athletes. Coach Geno has gone big into overseas players in recent years. Clearly he's seeing a lot of talent outside of the United States. Seems to mirror the dramatic rise of overseas talent in the NBA.

Big, big changes in the game!!

Reaction Score
Great news!
I'd be interested to find out if Geno went to Portugal to scout talent, then talked to Ines and her family then offered the scholarship.
Going by the video Ines has some game to her! The question is how long it takes to catch her up.
How do the 2 Guards coming in next year feel about an extra player on the roster at their position!
All minor, she'll fill a big void in the roster.

Reaction Score
For more stats and videos of Portugal in the FIBA U 18 women's Championships here
is the link I 'm using: fiba.basketball/Europe/u18bwomen/ 2022 and then you
can add, after the 2022 /player/ines-bettencourt.
If you check the box for Statistics and then GUARD, during the tournament Ines was
#1 in efficiency, #2 in field goal %, # 8 in assists ( I did not check for "per 40 minutes")
# 26 in rebounds # 5 in free throws (72 %),,... but a glorious # 28 in fouls .. lower is better ( she is
better than Nika !!!!) Ms. Bettencourt was # 4 in scoring for all positions and #2 for
scoring for guards. Sorry I did not check for "per 40 minutes" but Ines was on the
All Tournament team as mentioned previously. She shared the guard position for
Portugal with Laura Silva. Laura at 27.9 mpg and Ines 27.8 mpg. Remember from
the videos Portugal plays a very uptempo game, so their success was based on many
players getting floor time , not one player with high minutes per game. This should
be a WIN - WIN for Ines and the UCONN WBB team, Go Huskies!! Z

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Great news!
I'd be interested to find out if Geno went to Portugal to scout talent, then talked to Ines and her family then offered the scholarship.
Going by the video Ines has some game to her! The question is how long it takes to catch her up.
How do the 2 Guards coming in next year feel about an extra player on the roster at their position!
All minor, she'll fill a big void in the roster.
I'm going to guess that Jamelle saw her play when she was watching the FIBA U18 Euro championship earlier in August.

And I'm going to guess that KK and Ashlynn are confident enough in their skillset to be a-okay with another, once JUCO bound guard.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Nika seems like a willing and capable shooter when she played in Europe as well.
Overall I agree with your point that Nika was a far different looking offensive player when she played in Europe. European Nika attacked the basket on a regular and was not reluctant to shoot the open three. Strong caution though, as with Ines those were mostly highlight we were mostly looking at. In fairness there were several post regarding Nika's shooting inaccuracy (stats) when she came on the scene as a UCONN recruit. The numbers are out there in the inter webs because Nika played in the FIBA European Championships U16 and U18 from 2016-2019. My recollection was that Nika never managed to achieve a FG% of greater than 50% on FGA that were 2 point attempts against that level of competition.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Nika seems like a willing and capable shooter when she played in Europe as well.
Yes. But this kid shoots step backs, curls off screens, and shoots over high screens. Three things I've never seen Nika do. My concerns are her speed on and off the ball, her defensive capabilities, and her ability to compete against the higher athleticism she's to face on this side of the pond.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm going to guess that Jamelle saw her play when she was watching the FIBA U18 Euro championship earlier in August.

And I'm going to guess that KK and Ashlynn are confident enough in their skillset to be a-okay with another, once JUCO bound guard.
We know Jamelle was at the U18 Euro Div A championship in Greece. Ines played at the U18 Euro Div B championship in Bulgaria. Did Jamelle attend the Div B tournament before heading to Greece? We don't know.

Reaction Score
So, are people thinking that she adds point guard depth? I’m not sure she does at the high D1 major level. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad we’ve added her. I’m just not clear on where she fits in the rotation.
Hot dang, I thought I was the long GRINCH on the BY. A-Typically, I don't shout and cheer any new kid. I'm usually happy we get them, but to me they "ain't" players until they play.
Geno is happy with her. Big plus
I believe my eyes--she can shoot, and even under pressure, can pass IMO as well as Paige, and attacks the basket. How that translates to D1 USA --the Geno style, is a wait and see I have great expectations.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Her name phonetics is tough

(pronounced ee-NEDGE bet-ten-QUART)

I wonder what her nick name will be?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Her name phonetics is tough

(pronounced ee-NEDGE bet-ten-QUART)

I wonder what her nick name will be?
Given that she is from the Azores, how about "Zorro"?

Reaction Score
Geno may have settled this question for us. In the videos I've seen, she's mainly off the ball. But she can distribute the ball, seems to have real creativity as a passer, reminiscent of Paige, and like KK is totally able to finish at the rim. I wouldn't be surprised if Ines and KK compete with Nika for the starting slot next year.
Aren't those three likely to be competing for the "backup point guard" role behind Paige, and to sometimes play with her? You probably meant this year, right?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I know this is about Ines so I will get to her in a minute.

Nika is a CAPABLE shooter - just look at her stats from last year. Her 3 point % IIRC was lower than Azzi, pretty close to Paige, but better than everyone else on the team. But she's been unwilling - probably because there are so many scorers on the team, and she's a self proclaimed assist junkie anyway. BUT she will need to be more aggressive in scoring.

As for Ines, WOOHOO. Welcome to UCONN - we are thrilled to add you as part of our "extended" family. I have no idea what to expect from her. BBIQ and hoops smarts goes a long way in being productive, but in looking at the videos, she's not particularly fleet of foot. She does seem to have really good court vision and is a good passer. Hopefully motion offense is something she quickly takes to.

I'm sure fitness and endurance work with the trainers will be helpful, and other than that, the more time she can spell for the "starters", and others ahead of her on the depth chart, the better for the team this season.

As a side note, I think it was World Exposure Report WBB that sprung this story on us - they had a pretty dismal track record in the past, but seem to have nailed this "scoop". So happy she's coming!

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
The only question I have is why does what appears to be such a good get, in Ines, why was she going to a Juco in Florida? My only thought is grades, or not having the correct needed classes from Portugal to meet NCAA standards. Moot point now as she is at UConn.

Reaction Score
Geno says a lot of things, not all of them turn out to be true :p. I still remember he said something about Courtney Ekmark being one of the best shooters he had seen at the time.
Virtually every coach said Ekmark was one of the great shooters coming out of high school that year. If Geno said that, he had alot of company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom