Newest Husky Ines Bettencourt [Merged thread] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Newest Husky Ines Bettencourt [Merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So, are people thinking that she adds point guard depth? I’m not sure she does at the high D1 major level. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad we’ve added her. I’m just not clear on where she fits in the rotation.
As a freshman, I'm not sure she needs to beyond mop up time. Azzi can play the combo guard role when Nika needs a break or has a couple fouls....

Probably most important will be having her as a practice player so they can maximize practices with a second female PG and not have to rely on a male practice player for that all the time.

PvP

Reaction Score
This is really great news! She is a pure point guard with scoring ability. She has international recognition far beyond that of Nika and, recognizing Nika's large following, I fully expect Bettencourt to become a starter before year's end.

Reaction Score
Yes. But this kid shoots step backs, curls off screens, and shoots over high screens. Three things I've never seen Nika do. My concerns are her speed on and off the ball, her defensive capabilities, and her ability to compete against the higher athleticism she's to face on this side of the pond.
Agreed and still don't. I'll be watching for the speed and D too. But this kid is skilled and the really good ones find a way to play up to the competition and actually get better. She might be one of them and surprise some people.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
As a freshman, I'm not sure she needs to beyond mop up time. Azzi can play the combo guard role when Nika needs a break or has a couple fouls....

Probably most important will be having her as a practice player so they can maximize practices with a second female PG and not have to rely on a male practice player for that all the time.
Playing minutes at the end of games will be just as important.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This is really great news! She is a pure point guard with scoring ability. She has international recognition far beyond that of Nika and, recognizing Nika's large following, I fully expect Bettencourt to become a starter before year's end.
What? No.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Maybe, I do think she will get more than just mop up minutes. Someone suggested about 5 minutes a game. That seems about right.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I fully expect Bettencourt to become a starter before year's end.
Weighing Options GIF

Reaction Score
So, are people thinking that she adds point guard depth? I’m not sure she does at the high D1 major level. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad we’ve added her. I’m just not clear on where she fits in the rotation.
She is in a unique situation because as a point guard her main competition for playing time is against two PF's. What I mean by that is Nika, Azzi, Caroline and Lou will likely consume close to all of the minutes at 1-3, but not all, leaving a few per game for someone else, even if all the guards are healthy.

Now Geno probably has three options for that role, a natural point guard in Inez, or Aubrey or Ayanna who are more PF's that would be asked probably just to play just the 3 position. Aubrey and Ayanna are generally expected to be fine on the defensive end at the 3 position, in fact better than that, good at defense and rebounding from there, but do not play like perimeter players regarding ball handling, outside shooting, stretching the floor etc. Ines may not be as talented overall, but would be playing a position that suited her, and she appears to have the edge shooting and passing.

There is another factor in her advantage too. If she warrants some time, say backing up Nika at the point, that also means you don't have to juggle the other guards at less familiar positions. Maybe Azzi can concentrate on SG, and Caroline can stay put more at SF her best position. If one of the talented PF's was used instead, then one of those presumably would play SF, and if Nika was resting Caroline/Lou would have to move to SG and Azzi to PG. So it is not just a question of is Aubrey or Ayanna better than Inez, but rather would Inez at PG, Azzi at SG and Caroline at SG (natural positions), be better than Azzi at PG, Caroline at SG and Aubrey at SF when all of them would not be at their best position. The difference between SF and SG for Caroline and Lou is pretty insignificant, but it would be a big change for Azzi and Aubrey.

But that is the who gets just a few minutes per game if everyone is healthy. Any guard injuries and someone from those three gets a major role, and the second best choice gets regular but limited minutes. I don't know how that battle will play out, but now Geno has a true guard option and someone that can bring passing and outside shooting into the choice, not just the defense and rebounding we think our converted bigs could provide.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Guards Galore in season 2023-2024!

Seniors: Paige/Nika
Juniors: Azzi
Sophs: Ines
Frosh; KK and Ashlynn

Not even counting Caroline who can do some guard things.

Inside players from the class of 2023?

Back in the day in pro wrestling they would announce a wrestler as coming from
"Parts Unknown"...just made him seem terrifying and a beast.

Well: to the UConn staff it is clear that there are simply NO 'parts unknown' in this world...they will go after players
from here and there. I hope they are focusing on some 'terrifying' BIGS from around the world...we have seen some names from Europe mentioned...hmm...maybe better named as "Storrs East".

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Guards Galore in season 2023-2024!

Seniors: Paige/Nika
Juniors: Azzi
Sophs: Ines
Frosh; KK and Ashlynn

Not even counting Caroline who can do some guard things.

Inside players from the class of 2023?

Back in the day in pro wrestling they would announce a wrestler as coming from
"Parts Unknown"...just made him seem terrifying and a beast.

Well: to the UConn staff it is clear that there are simply NO 'parts unknown' in this world...they will go after players
from here and there. I hope they are focusing on some 'terrifying' BIGS from around the world...we have seen some names from Europe mentioned...hmm...maybe better named as "Storrs East".
and then maybe, Storrs Far East. If you are shopping take out,

Reaction Score
They certainly learned the need for depth last year so she will probably be needed for at least 4-5 games this year with significant minutes. I think she even changes things some. Maybe They go more with Nika and Inez at PG and rotate the other guards at 2 and 3. I’d be surprised a little if that happens but we don’t want these kids to get so tired they get hurt so I’d consider giving her even 10-15 minutes PT early in the season and see how it goes.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geno says a lot of things, not all of them turn out to be true :p. I still remember he said something about Courtney Ekmark being one of the best shooters he had seen at the time.
:eek:Add that Natalie Butler was supposed to be a "game changer" in UCONN recruiting.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She is in a unique situation because as a point guard her main competition for playing time is against two PF's. What I mean by that is Nika, Azzi, Caroline and Lou will likely consume close to all of the minutes at 1-3, but not all, leaving a few per game for someone else, even if all the guards are healthy.

Excuse Me What GIF by CBS
If Ines is competing against ANYONE in the UCONN front court for minutes-UCONN is in serious trouble!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
YOU once again NAILED it. Congratulation ole seer of the WEST.
I'm more than pleased Geno got her. Europeans, IMO, have done well to excellence for Geno. Anna comes to mind. She wasn't Stewie, DT, Paige--no she wasn't--but she was a darn good player that saved UConn's year. No, NC, FF, --but one heck of a better year than expected.
We aren't in that position now. Our year, IMO, was going to be good to great, but this helps us. That is, if she contributes as well as as ANNA could.
1661537802090.png

Thank you sir. Carnac is humbled. This was low hanging fruit. I figured if Geno and Jamelle were still overseas looking at 2022 class players as late as two weeks ago, they must want to recruit one. I can come back in off that limb now. ;)

Carnac

Reaction Score
If Ines is competing against ANYONE in the UCONN front court for minutes-UCONN is in serious trouble!
Most of us know better than that. This year she is nothing more than an insurance policy. I was in the group of fans that wanted Geno to replace Paige's spot on the roster with another player. It's going to take her some time to get to know life in the USA, Geno's system, College campus life, WCBB style of play at the "elite" level and her teammates. That will come. But, if needed, she can go in and give Geno some minutes. I don't think anyone here is naïve enough to think she'll be competing for minutes THIS season. She comes in on the end of the bench (depth chart) at #11. But we're very very happy to have her. :D

Reaction Score
Obtaining Ines is really great. The women Huskies truly needed another guard and specifically a point guard. As
a freshman she will have time to learn to play at Uconn wbb speed. A great pickup. She will enhance Ayanna's upcoming greatness!

Reaction Score
Most of us know better than that. This year she is nothing more than an insurance policy. I was in the group of fans that wanted Geno to replace Paige's spot on the roster with another player. It's going to take her some time to get to know life in the USA, Geno's system, College campus life, WCBB style of play at the "elite" level and her teammates. That will come. But, if needed, she can go in and give Geno some minutes. I don't think anyone here is naïve enough to think she'll be competing for minutes THIS season. She comes in on the end of the bench (depth chart) at #11. But we're very very happy to have her. :D
Insurance is important! Who thought last year's team would need Ducharme as much as they did.... injuries happen and the teams that make it far can absorb them.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
As a freshman Nika carved out 24 minutes per game on a team with Paige, Evina, Christyn, and Anna. I doubt Ines will get that many minutes, but I think she will be a solid contributor. She certainly showed in the U18 competition this summer. And European training is a good introduction to the Uconn basketball system.

As for her initial JUCO commit ... a lot depends on connections to 'European' scouts as to D1 interest, if she didn't have connections to one of the big talent scouts then she would have a hard time generating interest and as far as I can see her first serious exposure came this summer. And thankfully she had done the prep work for a USA college or Uconn would likely not see her prior to second semester.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
She hasn't met her teammates or been on campus .... I'm sure Geno doesn't know where she fits in either.

Reaction Score
I just watched 5 quarters of U 18 Fiba Women's "B" basketball, the
last two games for Portugal.
Portugal came back from 10 down to beat Serbia 62- 55 in the Semi. Ines
showed some pressure defense ( caused an important turnover ), she made an essential
rebound, good movement without the ball, speed bringing the ball
upcourt, and a respectable shot from the left side. I think that
Geno likes her crisp passing and scappiness when there is a loose ball and
obtaining the important tie- ups and jump balls. Clearly some work to be done
on many fronts but Portugal is in the " B" level for a reason. Then when Portugal reached the Finals
against Slovenia Portugal was embrassed by 15 points in a low scoring game.
Slovenia was much better than the + 15 margin. Ines scored 11 points in each game.
I don't recommend watching these videos...especially avoid the pain of the Finals game...
it's not the level of basketball that we are used to watching..
I'll stick with the highlights of Ines and her "Sportiva' Azores team.
So, good to have her on board, I anticipate more "added value"
toward the end of the season...not in the early stages of UCONN play..
Ines needs to learn the UCONN system, and time to adjust to a much more intense
level of play.... I'm hopeful ... and looking forward to her progress..
Will she be ...Molly Bent??? or more??? Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog