Newest Husky Ines Bettencourt [Merged thread] | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Newest Husky Ines Bettencourt [Merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wonder if she could be better than we all think... Rankings are just as much related to exposure as skill. Coming from the Azores in the Atlantic Ocean and a country not known for bball, she could be much better than anyone knows. We just need her to be solid and learn.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
This is really great news! She is a pure point guard with scoring ability. She has international recognition far beyond that of Nika and, recognizing Nika's large following, I fully expect Bettencourt to become a starter before year's end.
Ron Swanson Happy GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Reaction Score
This is really great news! She is a pure point guard with scoring ability. She has international recognition far beyond that of Nika and, recognizing Nika's large following, I fully expect Bettencourt to become a starter before year's end.
Hello, I just hit the pause button .... I posted a MOLLY BENT comment on the other blog
thread. I like her., very glad that she in a Huskie.... bu, Ines is " insurance".

Reaction Score
I wonder if she could be better than we all think... Rankings are just as much related to exposure as skill. Coming from the Azores in the Atlantic Ocean and a country not known for bball, she could be much better than anyone knows. We just need her to be solid and learn.
I don't have great expectations for her this coming season..............the only thing we know she does better than anyone else on the roster is speak Portuguese............if she can help out in practice and hold her own for a few minutes in a game that's all we can ask for...........any additional help she can provide is gravy.......

Reaction Score
I don't have great expectations for her this coming season..............the only thing we know she does better than anyone else on the roster is speak Portuguese............if she can help out in practice and hold her own for a few minutes in a game that's all we can ask for...........any additional help she can provide is gravy.......
All true. I think if she can give 2-4 quality minutes per quarter ( resting Nika ), she will add value.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
This morning I wrote a post that said Geno would have to go the walk-on route as time is running out. Well, how about that, they couldn't come up with this news yesterday so I wouldn't have egg on my face. Thats ok, I like eggs.
Anyway, I am thrilled to get Ines signed up, and I have to admit she does look pretty good. Some people said she would start by seasons end ( ha,ha,), some said she would ride the bench. Well hello, we still only have 11 players, so no, she will not just ride the bench. This 11th hour signing would not happen if he just wanted a bench player, so yes, she probably will be counted on to play some minutes in most games. Maybe not in the first few since they are against the best in the nation, but I feel she will get in the rotation when she learns the system. She was brought in for insurance, but what good is insurance if they don't have any experience playing with the rest of the team. She will play, and how she does will indicate how much. At this point, we know nothing, and won't know anything until the season starts. I am very happy.

Reaction Score
If Ines is competing against ANYONE in the UCONN front court for minutes-UCONN is in serious trouble!
She won't be competing with frontcourt players for frontcourt minutes, she will be competing with frontcourt players for backcourt minutes. Beyond the four guards we already had, the 5th player for backcourt minutes is either the new guard, or a frontcourt player, namely Aubrey or Ayanna. We probably use a 5th person at guard a few minutes even if the other four are healthy, so that competition exists to a limited degree at a minimum.

If any of the main four guards are injured, whoever Geno picks will probably play close to 20 minutes, and his main three choices will be Ines, Aubrey and Ayanna. A point guard or one of two frontcourt players that are probably best at the 4, so yes Ines will be competing with frontcourt players for who is the 5th best option to play guard. If she turns out to be much better maybe she winds up competing with Nika or Lou.

Reactions: KCD

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This morning I wrote a post that said Geno would have to go the walk-on route as time is running out. Well, how about that, they couldn't come up with this news yesterday so I wouldn't have egg on my face. Thats ok, I like eggs.
Anyway, I am thrilled to get Ines signed up, and I have to admit she does look pretty good. Some people said she would start by seasons end ( ha,ha,), some said she would ride the bench. Well hello, we still only have 11 players, so no, she will not just ride the bench. This 11th hour signing would not happen if he just wanted a bench player, so yes, she probably will be counted on to play some minutes in most games. Maybe not in the first few since they are against the best in the nation, but I feel she will get in the rotation when she learns the system. She was brought in for insurance, but what good is insurance if they don't have any experience playing with the rest of the team. She will play, and how she does will indicate how much. At this point, we know nothing, and won't know anything until the season starts. I am very happy.
Well the 2020-21 team only had 10 players, 11 when Saylor joined a mid season, and 4 ( Autumn, Saylor, Piath & Mir) of those 11 players still rode the bench.

Reaction Score
They certainly learned the need for depth last year so she will probably be needed for at least 4-5 games this year with significant minutes. I think she even changes things some. Maybe They go more with Nika and Inez at PG and rotate the other guards at 2 and 3. I’d be surprised a little if that happens but we don’t want these kids to get so tired they get hurt so I’d consider giving her even 10-15 minutes PT early in the season and see how it goes.
Maybe I missed it, but surprised no one mentioned the benefits this signing does for practice. Having a solid point guard for Nika and others to go against is invaluable.

Reaction Score
Geno says a lot of things, not all of them turn out to be true :p. I still remember he said something about Courtney Ekmark being one of the best shooters he had seen at the time.
Courtney was, in fact one, of the best shooters in her day, she just couldn't make many when someone was guarding her.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She hasn't met her teammates or been on campus .... I'm sure Geno doesn't know where she fits in either.
What a "leap of faith" by this young lady!!! :eek: Somebody did a wonderful job of selling her and her parents on the idea of coming to the United States and attending UConn on a full-ride basketball scholarship; and the road she would travel if she were bold enough to accept the challenge. I have not read all of the other comments here, but I'm assuming she's never been to the USA.
Wow, thank God the shoe has dropped. A long July and August of delicious speculation and debate. I hope she becomes a regular contributor and enjoys her time at UConn.
Me too. :) Yesterday evening, I was beginning to get a little nervous.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
From an article,
Inês Bettencourt (pronounced ee-NEDGE bet-ten-QUART)
She will wear #21.

I wouldn't write the pronunciation the way the article did, unless Azores Portuguese is absolutely nothing like Continental or Brazilian Portuguese.

Continental: ee-NAYSH bet-en-Coort

Reaction Score
This keeps coming up — the problem isn’t with Nika’s scoring. If she gives us 6-8 points/g, that’s plenty. The issue is what sort of point these are. Shooting 3s and hitting layups on run-outs is fine, but if she’s playing point she needs to be able to score in the lane occasionally.

Currently she has no midrange, pull-up, step back jump shot, and seems unwilling to attempt a contested layup. Passing off the dribble, flashing through the lane, is just a lot more effective if she’s a threat to score in there, too. And it’s not just at UConn — she didn’t have these skills in Europe either.

These are essential tools for a point guard. KK and Ines already have these skills. I hope Nika plays Ines one-on-one a little bit everyday for the next few months. She could improve Ines’s D and Ines can help her improve her O.

Reaction Score

I certainly hope you are wrong. For her to be a starter at any point this year would mean an injury to Muhl and another guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom