Newest Husky Ines Bettencourt [Merged thread] | The Boneyard

Newest Husky Ines Bettencourt [Merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Wonderful news!!! As I commented elsewhere, Ines will provide much needed depth at guard. While she certainly has some work to do to become part of the regular rotation at UConn, the fact that she is willing to accept the challenge of competing for PT at UConn is a testament to her character and work ethic.

It’s also pretty cool that UConn’s own League of Nations has added yet another flag from Portugal to go along with those from the US, Canada, Hungary, Croatia and France/Mexico. Pastel de nata for everyone!!!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Wonderful news!!! As I commented elsewhere, Ines will provide much needed depth at guard. While she certainly has some work to do to become part of the regular rotation at UConn, the fact that she is willing to accept the challenge of competing for PT at UConn is a testament to her character and work ethic.

It’s also pretty cool that UConn’s own League of Nations has added yet another flag from Portugal to go along with those from the US, Canada, Hungary, Croatia and France/Mexico. Pastel de nata for everyone!!!
So, the Int's can now field a 5 player team.

Geno must have made an offer she could not refuse.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So, the Int's can now field a 5 player team.

Geno must have made an offer she could not refuse.

Just show Inez to the weight room and throw away the key. ;)
In European basketball circles, Geno is very much considered to be a legend. We’ve seen with Nika, Dorka, Lou & others that the chance to play at UConn for Geno carries enormous weight in their decision making.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Do not know her back story? Is she coming in as a freshman? Any other big name suitors after her?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I called it! Welcome to the UConn family Ines. It’s nice to go out way out on a limb and it not break. I’ll take a victory lap later. She is the insurence UConn needs going into the season. She’s got a lot of catching up to do in getting to know her teammates and the system. I feel a lot better now going into the season. :) Congratulations to Geno and staff for finding this needle in the haystack at the last minute.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
In European basketball circles, Geno is very much considered to be a legend. We’ve seen with Nika, Dorka, Lou & others that the chance to play at UConn for Geno carries enormous weight in their decision making.
I did not know that Huntington Beach California is now part of the Eurozone!! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I called it! Welcome to the UConn family Ines. It’s nice to go out way out on a limb and it not break. I’ll take a victory lap later. She is the insurence UConn needs going into the season. She’s got a lot of catching up to do in getting to know her teammates and the system. I feel a lot better now going into the season. :) Congratulations to Geno and staff for finding this needle in the haystack at the last minute.
Nice call
Anyone who’s been following the two recruiting threads this last week is a big fan of Bettencourt already!

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Terrific news! Welcome!

Depth at guard was obviously a huge issue. She helps solve that and hopefully can be a valuable contributor as well. Don`t know much about her, but a minimum, we won`t have to play the starting guards 35+ minutes in a blowout. I am hoping for more than that, though.

I am also looking forward to hearing the "back story" surrounding her eleventh hour recruitment, which must be quite interesting.

I guess "reading the tea leaves" has been replaced by "seeing who players and coaches are following on Instagram". :cool:

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
News brings a smile!

Arrival date?

Congratulations to Ines for accepting this challenge...and to [still] the best staff in women's
college hoops!

Any wisdom on her game....including video... would be welcome.

Reaction Score
Hope that continues in the future as well. Nika might be the best example. She had already picked I think 4 finalists including some top schools, and had indicated she would take her time visit those schools etc. then at the 11th hour Uconn showed an interest. She added us to the list and then shortly after that made a commitment without visiting. It certainly sounds like once Uconn got involved it was game over.

The possibility for a somewhat similar scenario could apply to someone like the C from Egypt. Sorry I forget the spelling of her name. Anyway she was being recruited by many top programs including a heavy early push from Louisville. We just started following her recently to my knowledge. Being late to the game is usually a significant disadvantage, but sometimes the Uconn reputation to foreign prospects can overcome that, as potentially it could here, or with other foreign prospects.

Reaction Score

League of Nations? I'd prefer League of Geno, LoN fights too much among themselves. I agree about Innes. She is needed as a point back or better.It takes guts to go to another nation and try to compete for Pt and a Position. My daughter that in Belgium (had to learn 2 languages),
@oldude what do you know about this lady's game??

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

So, instead of just being “America’s Team” we’re now the “World‘s Team”?

Reaction Score
YOU once again NAILED it. Congratulation ole seer of the WEST.
I'm more than pleased Geno got her. Europeans, IMO, have done well to excellence for Geno. Anna comes to mind. She wasn't Stewie, DT, Paige--no she wasn't--but she was a darn good pleyer that saved Uconn's year. No, NC, FF, --but one heck of a better year than expected.
We aren't in that position now. Our year, IMO, was going to be good to great, but this helps us. That is,if she contributes as well as as ANNA could.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
"Inês is a true point guard. She loves to distribute the ball and can make shots," Auriemma said. "She's used to playing in the European style of ball movement, ball screens, lots of 2-man game, 3-man game. I think she's a tough kid and a great competitor. I'm thrilled that we were able to find her."

Often lacking in the young American guards before they get to college, e.g., the current U18 3x3 team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom