Newest Husky Ines Bettencourt [Merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Newest Husky Ines Bettencourt [Merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
"Inês is a true point guard. She loves to distribute the ball and can make shots," Auriemma said. "She's used to playing in the European style of ball movement, ball screens, lots of 2-man game, 3-man game. I think she's a tough kid and a great competitor. I'm thrilled that we were able to find her."

Often lacking in the young American guards before they get to college, e.g., the current U18 3x3 team.
About 38 seconds into the video there is a highlite, against a team in black uniforms, that Inez starts in the far corner, makes a move past a defender(on the baseline) then does a Eurostep move against the C/F(#8). Sweet!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So, are people thinking that she adds point guard depth? I’m not sure she does at the high D1 major level. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad we’ve added her. I’m just not clear on where she fits in the rotation.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
So, are people thinking that she adds point guard depth? I’m not sure she does at the high D1 major level. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad we’ve added her. I’m just not clear on where she fits in the rotation.
When Nika sits against elite competition (fouls, rest) someone will have to take over the PG responsibilities. Who will it be? I'm guessing Azzi though obviously that's not ideal.

Not sure we can expect Ines to handle back-up PG responsibilities against the elite teams UConn will play this season. That's not to say she won't have an important role to play on the team.

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
She has the entire season to prepare for March Madness.
Of course she will need to play to begin learning the ropes for when she's needed, based on her progress.
It's possible that she'll become an important contributor this year depending on her skill level, what Geno wants her to do, compared to other PG's on the team and line up circumstances like injuries.
I doubt that anything is set in stone, and a lot can happen between now and March Madness.
The Big East teams have a forgiving enough level of competition that should allow competent freshmen to get adequate playing time to display their mettle.

How do you pronounce Ines? Is it literally In-ez?
How to pronouce Ines in French & English.

Reaction Score
"Inês is a true point guard. She loves to distribute the ball and can make shots," Auriemma said.
Geno may have settled this question for us. In the videos I've seen, she's mainly off the ball. But she can distribute the ball, seems to have real creativity as a passer, reminiscent of Paige, and like KK is totally able to finish at the rim. I wouldn't be surprised if Ines and KK compete with Nika for the starting slot next year.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno may have settled this question for us. In the videos I've seen, she's mainly off the ball. But she can distribute the ball, seems to have real creativity as a passer, reminiscent of Paige, and like KK is totally able to finish at the rim. I wouldn't be surprised if Ines and KK compete with Nika for the starting slot next year.
Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Let's worry about next year later. I thought Geno other quote about Ines' ball movement and her ability to play 2/3 man game was very revealing.

Reaction Score
No way to know how her game translates over here but I would be happy if she can contribute 5-7 minutes of competent basketball off the bench and fill in as needed if injuries or foul trouble impacts the other UConn guards........

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Ines, in the video posted, played for Sportiva. They are in the top women's league in Portugal, La Liga Femina. She played all last season as a 17 year old, which she still is, until 9/29/04. I would gather she played as a junior, or cadet player, with no pay, but expenses covered.
Her Sportiva team went to the finals last season, but lost.
Her best game was 12 points, 14 rebounds and 3 assists, in 38 minutes.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes she adds much needed PG depth as in UCONN did not have any before she signed on. As far as where she fits in the rotation? She appears a more willing and capable shooter than the current UCONN PG- just sayin. ;)

Reaction Score
Yes she adds much needed PG depth as in UCONN did not have any before she signed on. As far as where she fits in the rotation? She appears a more willing and capable shooter than the current UCONN PG- just sayin. ;)

Nika seems like a willing and capable shooter when she played in Europe as well.

Reaction Score
Don't believe Geno would bring in a player at this late date just to sit on the bench.
That would be a waste of a scholarship.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Coco, I don’t think she’ll take many minutes from Nika. Instead, I think she will fill the gap in the time that we would normally expect Nika to be on the bench, allowing Azzi to play more off the ball.

I’ve said this before, but UConn doesn’t necessarily run its offense through the point. It’s a motion offense in which, at its best, everyone’s a threat to score and everyone’s a threat to pass. we don’t need her to be Sue Bird. She just needs to be another person with a solid handle in the ability to score. I think she fits that bill, but, and as we’ve seen with many freshmen, it may take her a while to get into the flow of the offense and understand her role on defense.

I’m very interested in seeing how the maestro makes the pieces fit this year. We definitely have the talent to go far, but it’s not clear to me what it’s going to look like. That again, it’s probably not clear did Geno and Chris yet either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom