New Staff Tidbits | Page 3 | The Boneyard

New Staff Tidbits

Reaction Score
I think it is important to re-establish recruiting well in New England and NYC. Hopefully, he can make headway into New Jersey and then pick up some pieces in Maryland and DC area. I would be happy doing well in those areas as I think there is more than enough talent to win titles.

In the press conference Hurley specifically pointed out the Mid-Atlantic area (NY, NJ, PA, MD, DE and DC) as his focus. Cox seems to have been the guy working at least the southern part of that area so he'll be the lead recruiter if Rhody doesn't hire him. Who will be the New England high school and prep school guy?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
In the press conference Hurley specifically pointed out the Mid-Atlantic area (NY, NJ, PA, MD, DE and DC) as his focus. Cox seems to have been the guy working at least the southern part of that area so he'll be the lead recruiter if Rhody doesn't hire him. Who will be the New England high school and prep school guy?

Maybe Moore?

Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see what happens with Matthews. Thought chill was the point man for him..

Guessing Hurley and Moore (or someone) are flying out to see him, maybe Akinjo and Kisunas if they feel they all fit the player they want. The phone calls have happened and the personal visits if allowed happen immediately to keep them, again if they want to.

Reaction Score
We're going back to being hard-line dependent on the northeast for recruiting.

Just thinking about the guys we passed on/missed out on locally makes me want to hit my teeth with a hammer.

Gotta think that we get at least half the guys we missed on from the NE - Diallo, Gabriel, Heron, Waters, MAL, Dunn, Carey, Mathis etc. makes me cringe knowing how much talent came out of the NE that we missed.

Reaction Score
Guessing Hurley and Moore (or someone) are flying out to see him, maybe Akinjo and Kisunas if they feel they all fit the player they want. The phone calls have happened and the personal visits if allowed happen immediately to keep them, again if they want to.
Interesting to see if Jermaine Harris follows Hurley to Storrs. Anyone know who the point man was in recruiting Harris? Cox? Moore?

Reaction Score
Rhode Island targeting naming replacement for Dan Hurley after Final Four | Zagsblog
Cox was never tabbed “coach-in-waiting,” despite reports, but he does have language in his contract that says if he is not named head coach following Hurley’s departure for another job, he would be paid $150,000, sources said.
Other names linked to the job are Vermont coach John Becker, UMBC coach Ryan Odom and former Louisville coach Rick Pitino, although multiple sources said it’s unlikely Pitino would get the job at this point.

Reaction Score
Rhode Island targeting naming replacement for Dan Hurley after Final Four | Zagsblog
Cox was never tabbed “coach-in-waiting,” despite reports, but he does have language in his contract that says if he is not named head coach following Hurley’s departure for another job, he would be paid $150,000, sources said.
Other names linked to the job are Vermont coach John Becker, UMBC coach Ryan Odom and former Louisville coach Rick Pitino, although multiple sources said it’s unlikely Pitino would get the job at this point.
I hope they get someone good that's not Cox so he can come over here.

Reaction Score
So far we know that Hurley is bringing along Tom Moore, Eric Youncofski (URI Director of Basketball Ops) and Tripp Doherty (Video Coordinator) from URI. Potentially retaining Kevin Freeman.

UConn recently posted on their jobs site that they are looking for two assistant coaches (closes on the 29th). Here are the preferred qualifications (which is usually tailored to the person Hurley has already selected):

Five years’ experience coaching at a men’s collegiate basketball program; former playing experience at the collegiate level; coaching experience at the Division 1 level; experience in overall basketball operations at the collegiate level, including a demonstrated understanding of team travel, schedule and budget; and involvement in student-athlete community service activities.

One is obviously Moore, but not sure the other candidate. Don't think it's Boswell because he hasn't coached at the college level for 5 years and neither has Youncofski. Freeman has been at UConn for 7 years but not sure if being Director of Basketball Administration would be considered coaching.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I hope they get someone good that's not Cox so he can come over here.

Same, feel bad saying it because he's reportedly a nice guy....but if he comes, then Ty probably will too, and we'll be loaded.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
One is obviously Moore, but not sure the other candidate. Don't think it's Boswell because he hasn't coached at the college level for 5 years and neither has Youncofski. Freeman has been at UConn for 7 years but not sure if being Director of Basketball Administration would be considered coaching.

You have to think that, if Cox comes, so will Boswell? Absolutely no information it just makes sense.

Reaction Score
You have to think that, if Cox comes, so will Boswell? Absolutely no information it just makes sense.
Not sure, tbh. In reality, Boswell only has one year of coaching and recruiting at the college basketball level under his belt (two if you count his one year as DBO but you can't coach/recruit players at that position) and Hurley might have better connects that he thinks will be able to pull in the talent that he wants at UConn.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
America East to A10 is a pretty significant jump up, the program has more resources, better weather...

UMBC’s upset aside, that’s not a very good league on the whole.

Becker has a good thing going. I think he could do better.

Reaction Score
America East to A10 is a pretty significant jump up, the program has more resources, better weather...

UMBC’s upset aside, that’s not a very good league on the whole.
Also, sounds like some of what URI offered Hurley will be available for the next head coach (higher salary, increased salary pool for assistants, possible chartered flights, practice facility). Hurley left that program in a very good position to capitalize on the last couple of years, which could be appealing to any coach in the America East.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Becker has a good thing going. I think he could do better.

Low-major leagues are fickle. He has some solid talent on that roster, but there’s something to be said about striking while the iron’s hot. Becker isn’t a lifelong UVM guy, and he came from some very humble beginnings - I doubt that he’ll just bide his time as he gets older.

As for doing better? The America East rarely sends coaches up on the totem pole, and the two recent examples of them doing so - Mike Lonergan and Pikiell - went to a middle-of-the-road A10 program and perhaps the worst school in the P5. I don’t know about you, but I think URI at present is just as good a landing spot as either, perhaps better.
In terms of bigger jobs in the Northeast that might open in a few years, Cuse is definitely going in-house, Temple/St. Joe’s would want a Philly guy, and UMD will almost certainly go with a much splashier hire.
The only exception I could see is him waiting out Mo Joseph at GW if he wants to return to the DMV. That’d be a far tougher rebuild than present-day URI though.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Low-major leagues are fickle. He has some solid talent on that roster, but there’s something to be said about striking while the iron’s hot. Becker isn’t a lifelong UVM guy, and he came from some very humble beginnings - I doubt that he’ll just bide his time as he gets older.

As for doing better? The America East rarely sends coaches up on the totem pole, and the two recent examples of them doing so - Mike Lonergan and Pikiell - went to a middle-of-the-road A10 program and perhaps the worst school in the P5. I don’t know about you, but I think URI at present is just as good a landing spot as either, perhaps better.
In terms of bigger jobs in the Northeast that might open in a few years, Cuse is definitely going in-house, Temple/St. Joe’s would want a Philly guy, and UMD will almost certainly go with a much splashier hire.
The only exception I could see is him waiting out Mo Joseph at GW if he wants to return to the DMV. That’d be a far tougher rebuild than present-day URI though.

At Becker's level, money talks. Guy makes just north of 200k right now. If URI offers good coin, he'll walk. As you say there's no guarantee, and with those sorts of coaches, you have to get while the getting is good. He's probably bussing to most schools right now. It's Charter at URI according to the AD.

Reaction Score
At Becker's level, money talks. Guy makes just north of 200k right now. If URI offers good coin, he'll walk. As you say there's no guarantee, and with those sorts of coaches, you have to get while the getting is good. He's probably bussing to most schools right now. It's Charter at URI according to the AD.

Becker needs to take $1,000,000 per year. He’d be crazy not to.

Reaction Score
URI staff bios - at bottom of linked site (even Rhody has a Dir of Ops and Asst Dir of Ops; latter possibly paid almost nothing). As a Landover, MD native with DC high school and Georgetown coaching experience, Bill & Mary Tribe alum Cox would be a good fit for DMV recruiting.

Acknowledging UConn's had 2-3 hoops strength & conditioning coaches in a couple years, what's the likelihood DH brings in his S&C guy (not necessarily the current guy at URI)?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
URI staff bios - at bottom of linked site (even Rhody has a Dir of Ops and Asst Dir of Ops; latter probably paid almost nothing). As a Landover, MD native with DC high school and Georgetown coaching, Bill & Mary Tribe alum Cox would be a good fit for DMV recruiting.

Acknowledging UConn's had 2-3 hoops strength & conditioning coaches in a couple years, what's the likelihood DH brings in his S&C guy (not necessarily the current guy at URI)?

Who's taking care of class scheduling during recruiting visits?

Reaction Score
So far we know that Hurley is bringing along Tom Moore, Eric Youncofski (URI Director of Basketball Ops) and Tripp Doherty (Video Coordinator) from URI. Potentially retaining Kevin Freeman.

UConn recently posted on their jobs site that they are looking for two assistant coaches (closes on the 29th). Here are the preferred qualifications (which is usually tailored to the person Hurley has already selected):

Five years’ experience coaching at a men’s collegiate basketball program; former playing experience at the collegiate level; coaching experience at the Division 1 level; experience in overall basketball operations at the collegiate level, including a demonstrated understanding of team travel, schedule and budget; and involvement in student-athlete community service activities.

Preferred qualifications doesn't mean required. Could still be anyone, right?

Reaction Score
Yeah, think he's for sure out
On the left: Chill's current twitter profile/bio
On the right: Chill's twitter profile/bio back in June
Rather significant change; sure hope Chillious didn't buy a home, he played no role in UConn's "just cause", and if the latter is correct wish him well in his next opportunity.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom