New Staff Tidbits | Page 4 | The Boneyard

New Staff Tidbits

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Anyone know what recruits TM got for URI?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
So far we know that Hurley is bringing along Tom Moore, Eric Youncofski (URI Director of Basketball Ops) and Tripp Doherty (Video Coordinator) from URI. Potentially retaining Kevin Freeman.

UConn recently posted on their jobs site that they are looking for two assistant coaches (closes on the 29th). Here are the preferred qualifications (which is usually tailored to the person Hurley has already selected):

Five years’ experience coaching at a men’s collegiate basketball program; former playing experience at the collegiate level; coaching experience at the Division 1 level; experience in overall basketball operations at the collegiate level, including a demonstrated understanding of team travel, schedule and budget; and involvement in student-athlete community service activities.

One is obviously Moore, but not sure the other candidate. Don't think it's Boswell because he hasn't coached at the college level for 5 years and neither has Youncofski. Freeman has been at UConn for 7 years but not sure if being Director of Basketball Administration would be considered coaching.

The inclusion of "including a demonstrated understanding of team travel, schedule and budget; and involvement in student-athlete community service activities" insinuates to me that it's written for one of the two current DO's, Freeman or Youncofski. Not sure how much time at D1 Youncofski has but Freeman has the five years so it sounds like his posting to move him from DO to Assistant Coach.

Reaction Score
Perhaps TCF or someone else can provide an update as to our coaching staff. In addition to head coach Hurley and Tom Moore, are there any other coaching positions that are officially filled at this point?

If this has been addressed already, please pardon my ignorance. I was away for a week and a half and I am getting caught up on lots of things.

Reaction Score
I think it's a good move to keep a former husky player on staff. Let him learn from guys who knows what to do, and keep the connection strong

Reaction Score
The inclusion of "including a demonstrated understanding of team travel, schedule and budget; and involvement in student-athlete community service activities" insinuates to me that it's written for one of the two current DO's, Freeman or Youncofski. Not sure how much time at D1 Youncofski has but Freeman has the five years so it sounds like his posting to move him from DO to Assistant Coach.
Agree. Hopefully K-Free can help coach up the bigs

Reaction Score
Perhaps TCF or someone else can provide an update as to our coaching staff. In addition to head coach Hurley and Tom Moore, are there any other coaching positions that are officially filled at this point?

If this has been addressed already, please pardon my ignorance. I was away for a week and a half and I am getting caught up on lots of things.

Oh then you don’t know Kevin Ollie is going to be the big mans coach?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
URI staff bios - at bottom of linked site (even Rhody has a Dir of Ops and Asst Dir of Ops; latter possibly paid almost nothing). As a Landover, MD native with DC high school and Georgetown coaching experience, Bill & Mary Tribe alum Cox would be a good fit for DMV recruiting.

Acknowledging UConn's had 2-3 hoops strength & conditioning coaches in a couple years, what's the likelihood DH brings in his S&C guy (not necessarily the current guy at URI)?
After Bob Sr.'s comment about how scrawny our guys were compared to URI's I have a feeling there may be a high liklihood of that happening

Reaction Score
Hurley: 'Dream come true' to coach at UConn

"Kevin Freeman, UConn's director of basketball administration, was the only member of Ollie's staff to attend the news conference"

I think it's pretty clear that the first two postings/staff members are Tom Moore and Kevin Freeman.

Reaction Score

Sounds like Hurley is bringing 3 guys from the URI staff - Tom Moore, Eric Youncofski (DBO), and Tripp Doherty (Video Coordinator). And Freeman might be retained.

Reaction Score
After Bob Sr.'s comment about how scrawny our guys were compared to URI's I have a feeling there may be a high liklihood of that happening
Fact, our guys, especially in the paint, that got the most minutes were scrawny

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

And our guards were muscled off at the tin, rarely making the and 1. There is a huge gulf between getting to 5 feet for a floater and finishing at the rim. Even JA had a lot of trouble there whereas Kemba, Bazz and every other lead guard we've had didn't.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
I really wonder what connection Freeman had that allowed him to be retained? What’s his connection to Hurley?

Reaction Score
His connections to JC and Tom Moore helped I’d think. Tom coached KFree and if they have an opening for operations, Kevin knows the ropes.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
His connections to JC and Tom Moore helped I’d think. Tom coached KFree and if they have an opening for operations, Kevin knows the ropes.

That's probably the most important. He knows hte lay of the land and it'll help with the transition, without taking up a valuable AC spot. Hopefully him and Youncofski are co-DOBs.

Reaction Score
And our guards were muscled off at the tin, rarely making the and 1. There is a huge gulf between getting to 5 feet for a floater and finishing at the rim. Even JA had a lot of trouble there whereas Kemba, Bazz and every other lead guard we've had didn't.

Bazz being a good finisher was a myth. Look at his %s outside of 5 ft vs inside. He was quite mediocre actually. He made up for it with some floaters and a nasty 3 pt shot.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I really wonder what connection Freeman had that allowed him to be retained? What’s his connection to Hurley?
Freeman was a New Jersey guy. Danny has known him a long time

Reaction Score
Not one..
Based on some salacious suggestions, purportedly you are incorrect. Allegedly albeit absent any avouchment in a few URI empathizers' commentaries, Tom Moore recruited at least one guy. C'mon @CT Rhody get in sync, Moore supposedly recruited his boss.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Freeman was a New Jersey guy. Danny has known him a long time
Good story! I took some of the kids from our neighborhood to a RU v UConn game at the RAC and after the game we were standing and talking to some friends when Kevin came out to talk to some friends. The boys I brought to the game all wearing UConn hats saw him and said hey there is a UConn guy let's get his autograph. Their older brother said leave him alone he is talking to friends. One of the friends overheard that and came up to us and whispered he's a freshman. He would love it if you asked for his autograph. We all got K Free autographs on our UConn hats. I hope we keep him because he has always been one
yes you are right and how did that work out for us?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom