New school commitments by Transfers | Page 42 | The Boneyard

New school commitments by Transfers

Reaction Score
I think portal recruiting is a really interesting situation now, and certainly a boon to coaches with bad rosters or who are losing a lot of their own recruits, but ...
1. I wonder if it will become a self perpetuating situation for these coaches - bringing in players on top of their own roster causing current players to be more likely to transfer and discouraging potential good recruits from committing.

2. I wonder if we are creating the WCBB version of the men's 'one and done' situation, but with the one and dones being the portal ringers brought in.
Its probably a bit of both

As far as number one, I would think it would be more so for coaches who use the portal like crazy that they risk that but if you recruit at a high level, you probably won't need to use the portal as much. Portal is a great tool to add a piece or two to shore up the gaps or even just to add some depth. In the case of a new coach walking into a rebuild, its even better for them.

But its interesting to see how coaches can navigate programs on the backbone of transfers. From a coaching perspective, you typically know more about what you are getting and what the athlete is capable of versus a HS recruit coming in. The downside is sometimes these transfers are limited to a year or two at most, and it becomes difficult to build continuity, develop a culture, and instill things that can take years to build verses a HS recruit where you can mold them for 4 years.

It has definitely become the new age of recruiting and has been a game changer for a lot of programs. Most notable in recent years was the addition of Chloe Jackson from LSU to Baylor which played a big role in their third national title. On the flip side, it has hurt many as well.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Its probably a bit of both

As far as number one, I would think it would be more so for coaches who use the portal like crazy that they risk that but if you recruit at a high level, you probably won't need to use the portal as much. Portal is a great tool to add a piece or two to shore up the gaps or even just to add some depth. In the case of a new coach walking into a rebuild, its even better for them.

But its interesting to see how coaches can navigate programs on the backbone of transfers. From a coaching perspective, you typically know more about what you are getting and what the athlete is capable of versus a HS recruit coming in. The downside is sometimes these transfers are limited to a year or two at most, and it becomes difficult to build continuity, develop a culture, and instill things that can take years to build verses a HS recruit where you can mold them for 4 years.

It has definitely become the new age of recruiting and has been a game changer for a lot of programs. Most notable in recent years was the addition of Chloe Jackson from LSU to Baylor which played a big role in their third national title. On the flip side, it has hurt many as well.
The thing is, you really can't count on those HS recruits staying for 4 years before they transfer, so the continuity thing is out the window regardless. If you might only have a player for a year or two, would you rather that be an inexperienced player coming from the HS ranks or a seasoned college player?

Reaction Score
The thing is, you really can't count on those HS recruits staying for 4 years before they transfer, so the continuity thing is out the window regardless. If you might only have a player for a year or two, would you rather that be an inexperienced player coming from the HS ranks or a seasoned college player?
That is also true. Players staying the full 4 years is becoming increasingly less common. Either they want to play more, market themselves more, etc and they are out the door by year 2. Now with NIL, it makes that issue a much bigger problem for coaches.

So I guess there is a balance. I would love to see a study done in a few years that tells us what percentage of HS signees stay their entire 4 years at the school they signed. I am going to guess not very high...

By that metric, why even put a lot of effort into HS recruiting when you can get a season and deliver now players from the portal and the chances the HS kid you brought in stays 4 years is becoming much slimmer? Interesting to see how its managed though.

Reaction Score
I think portal recruiting is a really interesting situation now, and certainly a boon to coaches with bad rosters or who are losing a lot of their own recruits, but ...
1. I wonder if it will become a self perpetuating situation for these coaches - bringing in players on top of their own roster causing current players to be more likely to transfer and discouraging potential good recruits from committing.

2. I wonder if we are creating the WCBB version of the men's 'one and done' situation, but with the one and dones being the portal ringers brought in.
I agree with this 100%. It's the NBA/WNBA version of free agency where every player every year will be a free agent except seniors. (beyond the class of 2020)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Not sure which thread to put this in, but

giphy.gif

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Texas gained more than it lost from the portal with Morris and Taylor Jones. They’re gonna be good again.
A starting 5 of Harmon, Matharu, Morris, Moore and Jones is stellar. I think they're solidly the #4 preseason team after this commitment.

Reaction Score
A starting 5 of Harmon, Matharu, Morris, Moore and Jones is stellar. I think they're solidly the #4 preseason team after this commitment.
Definitely a excellent starting 5 (if Matharu can stop fouling, IF)

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Got to say after seeing Harmon, Matharu and Moore at the 3x3 Nationals a few weeks ago in Springfield that it looked like Harmon and the Harmonettes. Not super impressed by Moore as she was slow. I love Taylor Jones' game though - having seen her play her freshman year at THE WESTERN OSU.

Reaction Score
Do they have any depth? I’m rooting for Texas, but Vic plays his kids HARD, especially defensively. His teams have run out of gas at the end of big games before. This starting five is as good as any in the country but I think you need to be able to go 8 or 9 deep in Vic’s system.

(This is a genuine question - I’m not sure of Texas’ personnel)

Reaction Score
Do they have any depth? I’m rooting for Texas, but Vic plays his kids HARD, especially defensively. His teams have run out of gas at the end of big games before. This starting five is as good as any in the country but I think you need to be able to go 8 or 9 deep in Vic’s system.

(This is a genuine question - I’m not sure of Texas’ personnel)
Gatson, Hunter, Holle would be the next three. I really like Gatson though. And their freshmen.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Gatson, Hunter, Holle would be the next three. I really like Gatson though. And their freshmen.
Gaston is excellent. I wouldn't be shocked if she starts. Texas doesn't have insane depth but they'll be fine going 7 or 8 deep if healthy.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Although never linked to UConn, Kiser struck me as the last one remaining in the portal who might end up there.

So the UConn roster for 2022-2023 is set and it is a good one.

UConn will need contributions from Deberry, Brady, and Patterson. Maybe not all three, but at least two of them.

It would be interesting to know what Kiser has been up to over the last three or four weeks, but I doubt we will find out.

Reaction Score

Emily Kiser announces she will be back at Michigan

I wonder if the addition of Batth as their new post position coach had any impact. She did great work at NC State based on the players who have come up through the program. It could help if she has any aspirations to play pro overseas.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Emily Kiser announces she will be back at Michigan

Huge for Michigan. I think they could compete for Big Ten Champions with 4 of their top 5 scorers back.

Reaction Score
But yet a lot less talent than last year
Losing Queen and particularly Nalyssa definitely hurts but Nicki picked up some very good talent from the portal, she has 3 strong returning players and a good recruiting class coming in. She will have a competitive team this year.

Reaction Score

L. Lattimore deciding between LSU and Miami. I guess I can get on board with this considering Gusters doesn't care about basketball anymore. She'd be behind multiple players next year though if thats a factor.

I'm pretty sure she is going to Miami

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom