New No. 1 Postgrad Target? Jeff Carroll from Okie State | Page 3 | The Boneyard

New No. 1 Postgrad Target? Jeff Carroll from Okie State

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Dicky V was ranting against grad transfers on something I was listening to recently. He was like "this was an opportunity for young men to earn a masters degree not available at their school and continue to play but now schools are recruiting them!? That's so out of line!"

So Dick, how else are this kids going to know which schools want them? Just pick a school and show up and say "I'm on the team now. "

Such a moron.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
Dicky V was ranting against grad transfers on something I was listening to recently. He was like "this was an opportunity for young men to earn a masters degree not available at their school and continue to play but now schools are recruiting them!? That's so out of line!"

So Dick, how else are this kids going to know which schools want them? Just pick a school and show up and say "I'm on the team now. "

Such a moron.

Not to mention, how is this any different than a one and done using a college as their 1 season layover to the NBA?

Oh right... it's not. I love Dicky's energy and all, but someone needs to take Duke's mascot out to pasture.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Such a moron.

Anyone ok with "one-and-done U" like UK and Duke where kids don't care what people choose for them for classes while there vs. a kid who has already graduated and may want to go somewhere else to either play basketball or that and continue his academics - they're idiots.

Reaction Score

Such a moron.
Well Kentucky and Duke don't really need grad transfers so I understand his frustration

C

Chief00

Yea, because that's all they do on a recruit's campus visit. You casual fans crack me up.
Unfortunately, a good chunk of Diallo's Official was taken up by course and class schedule discussions.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, a good chunk of Diallo's Official was taken up by course and class schedule discussions.

Sucks they pretend to be an academic institution too huh? Pretty proud they tried to instill something into the kid rather than just knowing it's not worth it because he's lucky to even come to the campus never mind go to class like the hayseeds teams.

C

Chief00

Sucks they pretend to be an academic institution too huh? Pretty proud they tried to instill something into the kid rather than just knowing it's not worth it because he's lucky to even come to the campus never mind go to class like the hayseeds teams.

Be proud losing then. Quite frankly, Diallo views himself as a 1 and done - so why did it make sense spending so much time on course catalogs and class schedules?

Reaction Score
You have nothing to prove this. Just because you repeat it over and over again doesn't make it factual or accurate. This is not how the world works.

That's how Chief's world works... I even agreed with him once b/c he mindf()ked me into thinking it was rational. Then I felt great shame.

Reaction Score
Be proud losing then. Quite frankly, Diallo views himself as a 1 and done - so why did it make sense spending so much time on course catalogs and class schedules?

They didn't lose him because they talked about classes Chief c'mon. It's the Squid magic sauce that did it can't blame the staff.

pj

Reaction Score

If Diallo views himself as a one and done, why did he avoid playing college ball in 2016-17? Something wrong with the kid if he wants to sneak into the NBA without ever exposing himself to tough competition. Frankly, I'll be surprised if he ever becomes a first round draft choice. And I regret missing on the Bruce Browns and Bonzie Colsons more than I regret missing Hami Diallo.

Reaction Score
If Diallo has no intentions of playing college ball, going to Kentucky for a semester and participating in the squid's combine was the best option for his overall exposure. Practicing at UConn but not playing would have hurt him.

Reaction Score
If Diallo has no intentions of playing college ball, going to Kentucky for a semester and participating in the squid's combine was the best option for his overall exposure. Practicing at UConn but not playing would have hurt him.
Good point about the combine.

With all the rules around when coaches can contact recruits, observe recruits and so on, doesn't it make sense for the NCAA to do something about current players and their contacts with NBA scouts? I would think scouts at regular season and post season games makes sense but private or pay per view scouting combines should be made illegal. College sports somehow continues to become more and more of a circus.

Reaction Score
I think the Diallo saga was a major screw up on the part of the coaching staff. Of course we should have been heavily involved in him, but it appears we put all our eggs in his basket.

I follow recruiting on this board pretty closely, but I'm obviously no expert so my conclusion could be wrong. But as far as I can see, we either stopped recruiting very good players (Bruce Brown) or cooled off on some guys who could also be very good (David Beatty), both of which apparently wanted to play for us. And both of which would be multi year players (Brown could leave, but most didnt see him as a one and done). I cant remember if there were others, but I'm sure there were.

In my opinion, Diallo isn't even the type of player we need right now. Hes going to be a lot of fun to watch, but I'm not sure he can shoot, and seems to be pretty raw offensively. We all know hes almost surely going to be one and done, so how much impact was he really going to have on the program? Sure he would give us some nba draft cred if he went in the lottery, but given the amount of resources poured into him, it seems to me that the staff viewed him as a major difference maker for the program, and I just don't see it.

When he averages 8 ppg at Ky next year and then leaves, is he really going to do much for their program?

Hindsight is 20/20, so its easy to say now, but I'm pretty confident in saying that we could've used Bruce Brown this year, and he's certainly going to be much better next year than Diallo is.

Reaction Score
Not true.

776.jpg

C

Chief00

The dude visited winter break the day before a game in Hartford. What were they supposed to do.

So what are you saying - that the planning around the Official visit was poor?

My understanding is it actually occurred in a Windsor hotel.

C

Chief00

If Diallo views himself as a one and done, why did he avoid playing college ball in 2016-17? Something wrong with the kid if he wants to sneak into the NBA without ever exposing himself to tough competition. Frankly, I'll be surprised if he ever becomes a first round draft choice. And I regret missing on the Bruce Browns and Bonzie Colsons more than I regret missing Hami Diallo.
I think you answered your own question. Although, he may feel he exposed himself to tough competition in UK practice. Either way he will be better prepared for his first college game, if that ever comes. Let's not sugar this disaster. We struck out big time.

UK convinced him that Glen Miller's gimmick zones would not develop him for the pros defensively.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Has this kid even expressed any interest or contact from us, let alone even stating he wants to play a post-grad year? Or are we just scanning the nation for seniors and making wish list threads?

Reaction Score

No one spent "so much time" on anything. Just like no one asks you to "break down" anything. As usual, you take a small kernel of information that you read in the paper and blow it out of all proportion in your sad attempt to sound like an insider. It's entertaining, so keep it up, but don't think for a second that anything you're saying is taken seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom