New No. 1 Postgrad Target? Jeff Carroll from Okie State | Page 4 | The Boneyard

New No. 1 Postgrad Target? Jeff Carroll from Okie State

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

No one spent "so much time" on anything. Just like no one asks you to "break down" anything. As usual, you take a small kernel of information that you read in the paper and blow it out of all proportion in your sad attempt to sound like an insider. It's entertaining, so keep it up, but don't think for a second that anything you're saying is taken seriously.

You must be facing the mirror and talking to yourself. But, leave out the entertaining part.
And you are wrong about too much time being spent on nonessential academic bookkeeping on Diallo's visit.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Ok, it's important to establish that.
Hmm.
If he's transferring, expect every significant team in the country to be on him. And we should be there amongst them, right to the very end.
Kinda feel like I did!

Reaction Score
Be proud losing then. Quite frankly, Diallo views himself as a 1 and done - so why did it make sense spending so much time on course catalogs and class schedules?
Didn't UConn get in trouble for some APR bs recently? So, you think bringing in a 1 and done, and NOT expecting him to take school seriously for a semester is a wise move? Do you really read what you write?

C

Chief00

Didn't UConn get in trouble for some APR bs recently? So, you think bringing in a 1 and done, and NOT expecting him to take school seriously for a semester is a wise move? Do you really read what you write?
UK does it all the time.

Reaction Score

The two have nothing to do with each other.

Reaction Score
The two have nothing to do with each other.
How so? If UConn brings in a one and done that doesn't stay eligible after the first semester, UConn takes a hit. So, in my honest opinion, they have EVERYTHING to do with each other.

Reaction Score
How so? If UConn brings in a one and done that doesn't stay eligible after the first semester, UConn takes a hit. So, in my honest opinion, they have EVERYTHING to do with each other.

I don't think anybody is suggesting we shouldn't do everything in our power to keep players eligible. I think it's fair - though probably irrelevant - to think that a visit should be used to talk strictly basketball.

Reaction Score
I don't think anybody is suggesting we shouldn't do everything in our power to keep players eligible. I think it's fair - though probably irrelevant - to think that a visit should be used to talk strictly basketball.
I think that the expectation needs to be set, as that will be a part of his experience at Storrs. If he's not made to understand that, it won't work. So, going over that and courses and is rather pertinent. Unless UConn is now D league, any kid would be coming here to play school as well as ball, even if only for a year. Unless you don't think UConn can sell an education, or shouldn't.

Reaction Score
Also if we're to believe the staff thought they had him locked up, it was literally necessary for them to discuss classes with him if they wanted him to enroll

Reaction Score
I think that the expectation needs to be set, as that will be a part of his experience at Storrs. If he's not made to understand that, it won't work. So, going over that and courses and is rather pertinent. Unless UConn is now D league, any kid would be coming here to play school as well as ball, even if only for a year. Unless you don't think UConn can sell an education, or shouldn't.

A kid is only going to get what he wants to get out of an education. We all understand it's part of the deal. I don't think it's the coaching staffs responsibility to document that in more than a cursory manner and this lingering paranoia about the APR when we're like seven years removed from the bad scores is misplaced.

I do agree with @navery12 in that this was a unique situation.

Reaction Score
You must be facing the mirror and talking to yourself. But, leave out the entertaining part.
And you are wrong about too much time being spent on nonessential academic bookkeeping on Diallo's visit.
Chief, you are entertaining and most definitely amusing.....but informative?? No. Your act is tired and you have no inside intel whatsoever. I think we've learned more from the car wash guy than we have from you. But that shouldn't discourage you from posting. It really does add levity for many of us.

C

Chief00

Chief, you are entertaining and most definitely amusing.....but informative?? No. Your act is tired and you have no inside intel whatsoever. I think we've learned more from the car wash guy than we have from you. But that shouldn't discourage you from posting. It really does add levity for many of us.

? Yeah I was wrong about Diaco being fired and Travis waving good bye

pj

Reaction Score

You're unfamiliar with the game. The trick is to have the players take a full load of "classes" in the summer, then by the end of fall semester they've completed a year's worth of credits, and can flunk everything spring semester without affecting APR.

Kentucky has done this forever, UConn used to not offer summer classes and require its players to pass spring classes. Since the APR ban, players have been spending summers in Storrs.

C

Chief00

I agree, quite frankly, Diallo has no more than a cursory interest in the course catalog and he got totally bored. His focus is on basketball and preparing for The League. We may not like that but its reality.

Reaction Score
I think you answered your own question. Although, he may feel he exposed himself to tough competition in UK practice. Either way he will be better prepared for his first college game, if that ever comes. Let's not sugar this disaster. We struck out big time.

UK convinced him that Glen Miller's gimmick zones would not develop him for the pros defensively.
I would be pretty seriously surprised if UK brought up Miller at all.

Reaction Score
I agree, quite frankly, Diallo has no more than a cursory interest in the course catalog and he got totally bored. His focus is on basketball and preparing for The League. We may not like that but its reality.
So when you're sitting there in the room with Coach Miller and the recruits, do you just fuss and sigh like a petulant child or excuse yourself so you can swing by the Calhoun's for a good soak in the hot tub? Maybe a cigar? Couple of fingers of bourbon?

C

Chief00

You're unfamiliar with the game. The trick is to have the players take a full load of "classes" in the summer, then by the end of fall semester they've completed a year's worth of credits, and can flunk everything spring semester without affecting APR.

Kentucky has done this forever, UConn used to not offer summer classes and require its players to pass spring classes. Since the APR ban, players have been spending summers in Storrs.

That's basically correct but some did take summer classes before the ban.

Reaction Score

So, you're saying that they DO have to take and pass classes to keep up the farce? Well then, why the fk would they EVER talk about classes and schedules with a prospective student athlete? What the hell was I thinking? I feel so foolish as to not know the "game". Wait, that's exactly what I said. They have to play school enough to not screw UConn. Summer, spring, idgas. They have to do enough to not get the school screwed, and UConn can't have another situation where the administration is asleep at the wheel. I'll bet they didn't even have a bag man on his visit, then talked about SCHOOL? Smdh, will they never learn?

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score

Another interesting postgrad prospect. Averaged 6/2/2 on 45/35/61 shooting splits last year, and is a very good defender. More of a combo guard than a PG.

Played one year at Tennessee, two at UVa.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Not sure why any of us are talking about Diallo since he is at UK now and no longer is a possibility in coming here.
Time to move on and see what possible 5th-year transfer could possibly come in next year, That is what I care about and not a recruit who spurned UConn.

Reaction Score
My dog knew that Diaco was getting fired.....really, is that the best you got?

He didnt even say Diaco was getting fired. He said some people may be getting their wish which at that time could have also meant a new OC. Left it nice and vague so he could say he was right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom