New League Proposal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New League Proposal

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
As if you can dislike someone even more. The best thing for the rest of college football fans to do is stop watching SEC and B1G games. They are a ruthless monopoly acting like a mafia gang. At some point, there has to be some sort of congressional inquiry into this since they are destroying rest of the colleges.
Whoa there partner, I agree with most of what you wrote except one tiny part. The mafia have some sense of honor and respect (as twisted as it seems, and not like I'm a card carrying member), whereas the BIGSEC doesn't. Thing is though, the rabid fansbases are right in BIGSEC territory, so the TV eyes aren't going to precipitously drop, unfortunately.

Ahhh, Syracuse was involved...that would be another reason why UConn was kept out of the Group of 12. No bias there, nope.

Reaction Score
As if you can dislike someone even more. The best thing for the rest of college football fans to do is stop watching SEC and B1G games. They are a ruthless monopoly acting like a mafia gang. At some point, there has to be some sort of congressional inquiry into this since they are destroying rest of the colleges.
His comments are going to come back to haunt him when he, The Big Commissioner, and the TV executives sit before a congressional committee. They had all better hope the the people they have let go in the last few years didn't take emails, and other information with them.
They are too many congressional districts that would be left out of their super league, for Congress and the courts not to get involved.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

This is basically what a lot of us have been saying. The P2 path football is on will annihilate the sport. Splitting football off, implementing at least some level of revenue sharing, and organizing it into coherent divisions would increase fan interest and improve the value of the overall product.

Or Michigan, Ohio State, Georgia and Alabama can shrink college sports to a 4 team league where they just play themselves over and over, and see how many people watch that product.

Reaction Score
Football splitting off will still probably result in a P# and G# split. I don't see how G5 and even some P4 schools will be able to or want to compete with a $20 or $40 million annual payroll for a Michigan or USC or Alabama. There is no point to trying.
Who says everyone wants to compete annually? Get in, make sure the check clears, and hope a good coach hits on a strong recruiting cycle once in awhile. It works for the small market mlb baseball teams. If I am northwestern, I get in, receive payment, and try to be good once a decade.

Reaction Score
This is basically what a lot of us have been saying. The P2 path football is on will annihilate the sport. Splitting football off, implementing at least some level of revenue sharing, and organizing it into coherent divisions would increase fan interest and improve the value of the overall product.

Or Michigan, Ohio State, Georgia and Alabama can shrink college sports to a 4 team league where they just play themselves over and over, and see how many people watch that product.
Also, look at NFL rosters. They are full of non-P2 players, and more and more are going to look like they are P2, but are really just one year transfers after succeeding at a lower level. Unless the P2 ups their rosters to 250 players (in which case hundreds/thousands won't even play) there are going to be plenty of good players outside of their league.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Been looking at that article a bit more closely to make some maps. So Army and Air Force are listed in the Group of 8 regions graphic (without being tied to a region), but they get to "play up" every year from that group. So who is missing from this list......Tulane! That's gotta make the Green Wave seeing red. However if you count all the G8 schools and add Army, , and Tulane, you'll get 64. Wonder their fanbase is thinking at the graphical omission.

Honestly, these (G8) are the teams we're currently comparable with, but by no means is the list we should be content with being stuck with. If those Power12 regions expand to 7 teams each (84 total teams), I gotta think we get slotted assuming that East bracket reflects more of a Northeast with Army, BC (dammit, I didn't want to include them), UConn, Rutgers, Penn State, Pitt, and Syracuse. Throw in Maryland and West Virginia, and you got a solid athletic conference, which won't happen, but it's nice to dream.

Reaction Score
Been looking at that article a bit more closely to make some maps. So Army and Air Force are listed in the Group of 8 regions graphic (without being tied to a region), but they get to "play up" every year from that group. So who is missing from this list......Tulane! That's gotta make the Green Wave seeing red. However if you count all the G8 schools and add Army, , and Tulane, you'll get 64. Wonder their fanbase is thinking at the graphical omission.

Honestly, these (G8) are the teams we're currently comparable with, but by no means is the list we should be content with being stuck with. If those Power12 regions expand to 7 teams each (84 total teams), I gotta think we get slotted assuming that East bracket reflects more of a Northeast with Army, BC (dammit, I didn't want to include them), UConn, Rutgers, Penn State, Pitt, and Syracuse. Throw in Maryland and West Virginia, and you got a solid athletic conference, which won't happen, but it's nice to dream.
If that was UConn's actual fate, football would be over within 10 years. No way an annual diet of those G8 schools alone would keep fans engaged. Frankly, I'm bored just thinking about playing those teams in our division every year (and having to play Liberty ad infinitum is just awful). It's just not a fair setup, because you can never graduate to a more interesting schedule no matter how much the program improves. It's always gonna be G8 teams, most of whom feel like small colleges compared to UConn. There has to be a way to move up at some point, instead of permanently taking a back seat to even long-term Power 8 dregs, plus the military academies, who automatically get slotted into the Play-Up group every season. Even the format is bogus - moving teams up for the following season doesn't mean those teams will be as good the following season. A lot of them will just get pounded, while currently good teams have to wait a year and maybe wither on the vine.

Hate it. Hate everything about it and everyone who screwed UConn over to put us here.

Reaction Score

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

This is a really big deal. Two school Presidents are going on the record predicting the "implosion of FBS". This means that they don't think this is something that may happen someday, they think this is imminent.

This is UConn's best hope for a conference solution.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom