New League Proposal | Page 4 | The Boneyard

New League Proposal

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
First the 70, then a football school only National Champion in hoops. It would Screw UConn.

Reaction Score

When the industry newsletters are reporting it, you can be this is heating up.

My only question is, what does this even mean?

"But the status quo is untenable for the long term, which is why conversations like this are heating up."

The G5 are already only getting peanuts. Why is that untenable?

Reaction Score

When the industry newsletters are reporting it, you can be this is heating up.

My only question is, what does this even mean?

"But the status quo is untenable for the long term, which is why conversations like this are heating up."

The G5 are already only getting peanuts. Why is that untenable?
They want the BB tournament money as well is the ONLY thing that makes sense.

I think schools like UConn and Villanova are seeing as the fly in the ointment there.

Reaction Score

I think schools like UConn and Villanova are seeing as the fly in the ointment there.
The problem with wanting the tourney money is they already got the idiot judge to agree to a plan that takes all the tournament money to pay past FOOTBALL players.

Bizarre.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Well, that and the fact that they would like to cut the Rutgers, Northeasterns and Vanderbilts of the world loose. (And Vandy beating Bama just highlights the need.)

The more interesting question is why would they need private equity? It's portrayed that the private equity would be used by our current games. First, why is outside funds needed for that? Second, if you did need outside funds to do that why wouldn't you just let existing schedules run rather than financing a buyout of a short term problem which cost you equity, forever?

The private equity piece, as currently proposed, makes no sense to me.

Reaction Score
Well, that and the fact that they would like to cut the Rutgers, Northeasterns and Vanderbilts of the world loose. (And Vandy beating Bama just highlights the need.)

The more interesting question is why would they need private equity? It's portrayed that the private equity would be used by our current games. First, why is outside funds needed for that? Second, if you did need outside funds to do that why wouldn't you just let existing schedules run rather than financing a buyout of a short term problem which cost you equity, forever?

The private equity piece, as currently proposed, makes no sense to me.
If this is very forward thinking, you need private equity.

Schools will need to establish an employee-employer relationship with the players.

The athletic programs will need to establish a business relationship with the universities.

Money will be needed to figure out the relationship of ADs to university owned facilities.

I'm just assuming that at some point, there will need to be clearcut business practices in place so that players don't eat up all of this imaginary pie.

The only way to start that accounting is to start paying for things you never paid for before (like facilities).

Reaction Score
… and another: Project Rudy

-> Project Rudy is built on two somewhat simple concepts to increase revenue from television networks and corporate sponsors.

(1) Arrange more games between power conference programs by eliminating all games against Group of Five and FCS opponents; expanding the playoffs; and pitting blue-blood powers more often against one another.

(2) Consolidate the media rights of the 70 schools under one agreement, instead of the current structure of five different packages (one for each power league and Notre Dame).<-

I didn't give these 2 proposals much thought because I figured it would never happen. Reading through Project Rudy, for the 70 programs at the table here are some key bullet points. But I guess if you are not in the 70, you are out. There are too many similar level programs on both sides of the 70 split to just have a hard cut-off. UCF is in, USF is out. So this would really suck big time. Relegation and promotion would occur within the 70 programs. Some current members of SEC and Big 10 could fall into Tier 3 and earn less than currently:
  • - Tier 1: the top 16 schools earn per-school revenue projections from $130 million in Year 4, escalating to $250 million in Year 12 (double the SEC and Big Ten’s current distribution rate).

• - Tier 2: the next 22 schools earn revenue of $60-$110 million (similar to the SEC and Big Ten current rates).

• - Tier 3: the last 32 schools earn projections of $30-$60 million (similar to the Big 12 and ACC rates).

• The model offers a variety of ways to determine how to tier schools: the previous season’s results, perhaps, or an aggregate of results over a stretch of seasons. The model also features a relegation and promotion system to pave a way for schools to move up and down the tiers. However, one proposed model suggests having eight “permanent” members of Tier 1, a move presumably to placate the biggest brands in the sport.

CL82

Reaction Score
If this is very forward thinking, you need private equity.

Schools will need to establish an employee-employer relationship with the players.

The athletic programs will need to establish a business relationship with the universities.

Money will be needed to figure out the relationship of ADs to university owned facilities.

I'm just assuming that at some point, there will need to be clearcut business practices in place so that players don't eat up all of this imaginary pie.

The only way to start that accounting is to start paying for things you never paid for before (like facilities).
So Connecticut is ahead of the game since we pay for our facilities about half the time in basketball and all of the time in football?

(I strongly doubt that the private equity financed dump of cash into the academic side of universities and corresponding athletic side debt/relinquishment of equity that you appear to be imagining would ever happen.)

Reaction Score
I didn't give these 2 proposals much thought because I figured it would never happen. Reading through Project Rudy, for the 70 programs at the table here are some key bullet points. But I guess if you are not in the 70, you are out. There are too many similar level programs on both sides of the 70 split to just have a hard cut-off. UCF is in, USF is out. So this would really suck big time. Relegation and promotion would occur within the 70 programs. Some current members of SEC and Big 10 could fall into Tier 3 and earn less than currently:
  • - Tier 1: the top 16 schools earn per-school revenue projections from $130 million in Year 4, escalating to $250 million in Year 12 (double the SEC and Big Ten’s current distribution rate).

• - Tier 2: the next 22 schools earn revenue of $60-$110 million (similar to the SEC and Big Ten current rates).

• - Tier 3: the last 32 schools earn projections of $30-$60 million (similar to the Big 12 and ACC rates).

• The model offers a variety of ways to determine how to tier schools: the previous season’s results, perhaps, or an aggregate of results over a stretch of seasons. The model also features a relegation and promotion system to pave a way for schools to move up and down the tiers. However, one proposed model suggests having eight “permanent” members of Tier 1, a move presumably to placate the biggest brands in the sport.

8?

Alabama
Texas
Georgia
USC
Ohio St
Michigan

That's amazing that so many other schools would be left out of that permanent status:

Washington
Oregon
UCLA
Penn St
Wisconsin
Florida
Florida St
Texas A&M
Tennessee
Oklahoma
LSU

Which 2 of these 10 schools do you include?

And you know it's got to be one B1G school and one SEC school.

Reaction Score
So Connecticut is ahead of the game since we pay for our facilities about half the time in basketball and all of the time in football?
??
Then university owns Gampel, right?
And it owes no money on the Rent.

But I'm sure there are a ton of new hockey, soccer, baseball, basketball and football training, facilities that it owes a hefty amount on.

I'm just saying that IF they wanted to run it all like a business (and with Smash Capital involved they might have to) they would need money to create precise responsibilities and obligations. The phony baloney account of the past would b e eliminated, especially if you have unionized employees.

CL82

Reaction Score
??
Then university owns Gampel, right?
And it owes no money on the Rent.

But I'm sure there are a ton of new hockey, soccer, baseball, basketball and football training, facilities that it owes a hefty amount on.

I'm just saying that IF they wanted to run it all like a business (and with Smash Capital involved they might have to) they would need money to create precise responsibilities and obligations. The phony baloney account of the past would b e eliminated, especially if you have unionized employees.
The university does not owe any money on the Rent. For that matter, neither do I, but neither one of us own it.

I'm just saying, reading between the lines you seem to imagine a situation with people will use outside equity to buy existing athletic department assets, from the academic side. If there is a bifurcation, athletics is buying nothing. They'll just leave with the assets they have, and likely no debt whatsoever. Your (apparent) worldview of the academic side as a long suffering spouse about to be compensated by the athletic side, taking on debt or giving up equity in future revenue streams isn't universally held. It will never happen, at least in my opinion.

Reaction Score

(I strongly doubt that the private equity financed dump of cash into the academic side of universities and corresponding athletic side debt/relinquishment of equity that you appear to be imagining would ever happen.)
If they can move money back and forth at will, they can hide profits, hide losses, hide money from players, etc. I think that era is going to come to an end. The courts have not yet addressed what is this new relationship between ADs and players, but they have to do it soon.

The first tax bills are going to come in a year or so.

CL82

Reaction Score
If they can move money back and forth at will, they can hide profits, hide losses, hide money from players, etc. I think that era is going to come to an end. The courts have not yet addressed what is this new relationship between ADs and players, but they have to do it soon.

The first tax bills are going to come in a year or so.
If there is a bifurcation, and to be honest, I don't think it will happen, the athletic side will start with every advantage they have currently. It won't be a windfall for the academic side.

Reaction Score
8?

Alabama
Texas
Georgia
USC
Ohio St
Michigan

That's amazing that so many other schools would be left out of that permanent status:

Washington
Oregon
UCLA
Penn St
Wisconsin
Florida
Florida St
Texas A&M
Tennessee
Oklahoma
LSU

Or Notre Dame. It's always nice to see that the cream of the crop always want more. It's not enough to be kings in Tier 1, they want guaranteed king status.

Reaction Score
LOL. None of this is going to happen. N.O.N.E.

All of you guys are panicking over absolutely nothing. This turd burger isn't going to happen as it doesn't benefit the big boys. Stop crying and get up.

Look, I hope you're right. However, don't get caught "whistling through the graveyard ". Syracuse has always wanted to keep us down because it compares unfavourably to UConn. Don't underestimate Syracuse and BC treachery!

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
8?

Alabama
Texas
Georgia
USC
Ohio St
Michigan

Washington
Oregon
UCLA
Penn St
Wisconsin
Florida
Florida St
Texas A&M
Tennessee
Oklahoma
LSU

This is partly, or mostly, why the SEC and B1G would likely not sign off on this when they can self serve themselves and breakaway between the two of them. As I look more and more on this I am starting to see the argument on why the SEC/B1G wouldn't sign on.

Reaction Score
Do you know the saying of “too big to fail“. I guess we will find out how much people really care.

Reaction Score
If there is a bifurcation, and to be honest, I don't think it will happen, the athletic side will start with every advantage they have currently. It won't be a windfall for the academic side.
Oh, I didn't say that. Nor would I want that. But the accounting will be clean. It will be a separate unit with its own bills.

Reaction Score

-> Syverud called it “sticking my neck out.”
Given the number of factors at play, it’s certainly a long throw down the field. Still, Syverud’s willingness to take an uncomfortable step speaks volumes about the importance of this moment to schools like Syracuse, which aspires to play football at the highest level but may ultimately have little control over its fate.

“My job mainly is to look around corners and ensure that Syracuse University is well-positioned whatever happens to college sports in the future,” Syverud said. “That’s what I’ve been working pretty hard on the last year. ... A lot of people have interest in this because a lot of people are making a lot of money. I think this is in the best interest of fans and certainly Syracuse University, which is why I’ve been sticking my neck out on it.” <-

-> Without the proposal — or something similar — Syverud warned that a dwindling number of schools will find themselves capable of competing for a national championship and that schools will invest less money in their Olympic sports.

“I think it’s the most realistic solution if people want college sports to be preserved in a way that is recognizably attractive for the majority of fans and for the benefit of student-athletes,” Syverud said. “I think it’s not necessarily the model that’s the direction we’ll go if we let things happen based on money and greed.”

So far, though, money and greed have paved the way. <-

Reaction Score
This is partly, or mostly, why the SEC and B1G would likely not sign off on this when they can self serve themselves and breakaway between the two of them. As I look more and more on this I am starting to see the argument on why the SEC/B1G wouldn't sign on.
It would be a model where the P4 survive as is and the top programs in the P2 make multiple times what the lower programs in P1-P4 make. So I could see why Ohio State and Alabama would like it. I don't think Northwestern and Vandy would be thrilled with it.

Reaction Score
Look, I hope you're right. However, don't get caught "whistling through the graveyard ". Syracuse has always wanted to keep us down because it compares unfavourably to UConn. Don't underestimate Syracuse and BC treachery!
Why do you think Syracuse has any power? That's the funniest part

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom