New League Proposal | Page 3 | The Boneyard

New League Proposal

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Never heard that about a Southern Ivy.
It happened in the middle of the football season around 2005 or 2006. While the SEC was working overtime promoting the football programs within the conference (as they were locked out of the BCS championship after the 2004 season even though they had an unbeaten team as conference champion) Gee decided to tell the world that he wanted to have Vandy leave the SEC and join other southern private, high academic schools (I listed the schools he named) to create a southern version of the ivy league. The thing was when he made that announcement he hadn't informed his employer or any of the other schools that he mentioned. It was an attention grab that infuriated the SEC commissioner (Slive?) and led to his departure from Vandy a little more than a year later.

Reaction Score
I literally pictured them laughing amongst themselves as they assigned UConn -- permanently -- to the kiddie table with UMass and Delaware. BC consultants were probably on speakerphone egging them on and shouting out the names of the most obscure directional schools and FCS call-up candidates they could think of. I get that this is essentially a draft proposal and a jumping-off point for discussions, but still, starting us out in the lower tier makes it easier for the powers-that-be to simply overlook us in future negotiations, ratifying UConn's previous near-misses with the Big 12 and ACC. It creates a presumption that we belong in the lower decks, not just now, but for good.

We need BB to be monetized like the CFP. Once that happens we'll be calling shots and the worm will turn. Don't forget - Syracuse and BC bring nothing to the table. Eventually, that will be their death knell...

Reaction Score
You got that right! They hate our success, pure and simple!

Remember, they were part of the BB royalty in the old BE and we completely eclipsed them. In football. they haven't won a Natty since the 50's (same decade Princeton last won a Natty in football)!

Speaking of football, when we got hosed conference wise, in 2011 and 2012, we were in the midst of a 6 game winning streak vs. Syracuse. In BB, it hasn't been close for decades - 6 Natty's in the last 25 years to their 1 more than 20 yrs ago!

In addition, it is a $90k/yr, second-tier, private institution in the hell-hole city of Syracuse. The only thing Syracuse is rated number 1 in is having the worst weather of any college in the U.S. They are envious of our better academic standing, attractiveness and relative bargain cost. They despise us for our great success in BB and our current dominance of the MSG market. OTOH, they haven't done much in their own conference and don't really move the needle.

As was noted, I do believe they are working to organize something so they don't get left behind. They remind me of the guy who tried to organize a men's league team (you pick the sport), so he could guarantee himself a place to play. They can't get there on merit or value. They figure they'll do the leg work and the important participants will toss them a bone in the form of a slot.

People say we should be nice so they may help our cause. Don't count on it - I believe UConn is considered a threat to them. They may say this or that but expect it to be BS. On the bright side, a reckoning is coming. Eventually, all will be judged by their relative merit and value or lack thereof.
This is what I thought too. They tried to screw us by creating this ridiculous perception about our football program. Frankly, I see UConn football having a much higher ceiling than Cuse just based on the fact we are a flagship University in a state without pro football teams while they are just an overpriced private school.

The fact no one in the upper tier can get booted down to G8 is total bs. No one gonna convince me a school like BCU or Cuse should be worth more than UConn in anything. If schools suck in the higher tier, they should get knocked down to G8 while teams that perform olin G8 should move up.

Reaction Score
This is what I thought too. They tried to screw us by creating this ridiculous perception about our football program. Frankly, I see UConn football having a much higher ceiling than Cuse just based on the fact we are a flagship University in a state without pro football teams while they are just an overpriced private school.

The fact no one in the upper tier can get booted down to G8 is total bs. No one gonna convince me a school like BCU or Cuse should be worth more than UConn in anything. If schools suck in the higher tier, they should get knocked down to G8 while teams that perform olin G8 should move up.
Absolutely! In particular, Syracuse is an over priced, marginal private school located in a depressing, declining city. There is no cachet ( the emperor has no clothes...)
The fact that UConn is in the G5 division of total bs as a starter. This is why we need to be in a Px conference ASAP.

Lamont needs to get active now! BTW, Ned this could be a signature accomplishment for your tenure.

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
It happened in the middle of the football season around 2005 or 2006. While the SEC was working overtime promoting the football programs within the conference (as they were locked out of the BCS championship after the 2004 season even though they had an unbeaten team as conference champion) Gee decided to tell the world that he wanted to have Vandy leave the SEC and join other southern private, high academic schools (I listed the schools he named) to create a southern version of the ivy league. The thing was when he made that announcement he hadn't informed his employer or any of the other schools that he mentioned. It was an attention grab that infuriated the SEC commissioner (Slive?) and led to his departure from Vandy a little more than a year later.
The Magnolia Conference

Reaction Score
… and another: Project Rudy

-> Project Rudy is built on two somewhat simple concepts to increase revenue from television networks and corporate sponsors.

(1) Arrange more games between power conference programs by eliminating all games against Group of Five and FCS opponents; expanding the playoffs; and pitting blue-blood powers more often against one another.

(2) Consolidate the media rights of the 70 schools under one agreement, instead of the current structure of five different packages (one for each power league and Notre Dame).<-

Reaction Score

-> Project Rudy is built on two somewhat simple concepts to increase revenue from television networks and corporate sponsors.

(1) Arrange more games between power conference programs by eliminating all games against Group of Five and FCS opponents; expanding the playoffs; and pitting blue-blood powers more often against one another.

(2) Consolidate the media rights of the 70 schools under one agreement, instead of the current structure of five different packages (one for each power league and Notre Dame).<-

Yeah, forget that. I’d rather the P2 split happen. Why should BC, Cuse, SMU be saved over G5 schools?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

There's a difference between a bunch of G8 or low P4 putting together a plan to allocate power from the halves to the have nots and a proposal to give the halves more money, skimming off the deadweight, further disenfranchising goes without power made by people who are actually going to foot the bills.

The former is a fantasy, borne out of flop sweat and desperation. The latter is an opportunity for the haves to have more at the expensive everyone else. Of the two one is significantly more likely than the other.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
The deck describes the model as a win for all sides: schools, fans, networks and, of course, the athletes.

What a load of crock. A "win" for all sides?!?! It's a win only for the Px schools (many of whom have sucked as long as we've struggled) while nearly half of FBS get left out. So we're going to Px legacies (the chosen), Div 1-A again (Group of 5 soon aka Group of 8 aka the castaways), and then the rest such as FCS, etc. The G5s will play more FCS teams then, that's the win for schools and fans?!?!?

Yormack finally said something I agree with.
“One thing is for sure: Fans don’t want an artificial championship,” Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark told the Houston Chronicle over the weekend. “They want a real championship just like every other sport. There are no free passes. Let’s earn it.”

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There's a difference between a bunch of G8 or low P4 putting together a plan to allocate power from the halves to the have nots and a proposal to give the halves more money, skimming off the deadweight, further disenfranchising goes without power made by people who are actually going to foot the bills.

The former is a fantasy, borne out of flop sweat and desperation. The latter is an opportunity for the haves to have more at the expensive everyone else. Of the two one is significantly more likely than the other.
Halves?

Reaction Score
Would UConn ever get to the super conference if Project Rudy comes to pass? Even if tier 3?

Reaction Score
As currently written, no. It’s a death sentence to the non-power schools. Would have to offer the Big 12/ACC to play for free basically.
This whole Rudy concept is ridiculously unfair not just to UConn (the Lucy pulling the football away poster child), but to every school who is capable of competing on that level if given a fair chance. And the obscene money is likely to trickle into all other college sports and stratify those too, along the very same lines.

As it stands, it deserves not just to fail, but to result in the ostracism of anyone who pushes for it. I'm already sick of reading how it "saves everyone." No, it most certainly doesn't. In fact, it drowns everyone they don't deem important, and deserves organized opposition.

Last edited:

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m guessing Rudy football will also result in Rudy March Sadness for those same 70 privileged teams. No?

Reaction Score
didn't want to start a new thread but let's say hypothetically you were in the office kitchenette and some extremely disturbed, deranged individual placed a large orange lunch container with a capital s logo in the community fridge. how would such an atrocity be handled? certainly not Tyler Durden guerrilla level but some type of immediate, proportional response would be warranted.

Reaction Score
I can’t say who because I will end up in boneyard jail, but there was someone quite vocal about college athletes being paid instead of worrying about their state university. This Rudy plan is quite concerning.

Reaction Score
I can’t say who because I will end up in boneyard jail, but there was someone quite vocal about college athletes being paid instead of worrying about their state university. This Rudy plan is quite concerning.
Maybe “that guy” will change his tune re: UConn athletics now

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
If this Rudy thing happens, I can see lots of G5 or whatever you want to call the losers of this plan, dropping football. Why bother with the expense if you aren't getting anything from it? TBH, I haven't read closely about this yet but from what you all are saying, we wouldn't see anything from this because we're not in the select 70. If that's true, why bother with the expenses???? So we can go play SE Louisiana St or Troy every year?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

In this entire article there is this mention of cutting out the G5. The rest of the long article goes on and on about the what ifs and draw backs, etc. Not ONCE does it mention how it cuts out 60+ programs from being in existence and needing to survive on their own. Many of those programs have a rich history, just not as huge as some P4 schools.

Plus, there would be zero media dollars for any G5 losers. All that TV money would go to the mega league because they'd have all the big name games. No one will pay to have people watch G5 schools play against only themselves and basically play for nothing. The level of talent will be awful as well.

What a crock.....it just makes me even angrier when I look at the programs who will be in this. Programs added for no reason to their existing conferences except for old beliefs of markets for TV. Rutgers, UCF, BC, Syracuse, Cincinnati, Houston. Heck, SMU is basically paying their way into this thing. Why don't we do the same? Tell the Big 12 they can keep 90% of the TV revenue for the first X years. (I know it's not that simple) We just need a seat for when the rift happens.

Reaction Score
In this entire article there is this mention of cutting out the G5. The rest of the long article goes on and on about the what ifs and draw backs, etc. Not ONCE does it mention how it cuts out 60+ programs from being in existence and needing to survive on their own. Many of those programs have a rich history, just not as huge as some P4 schools.

Plus, there would be zero media dollars for any G5 losers. All that TV money would go to the mega league because they'd have all the big name games. No one will pay to have people watch G5 schools play against only themselves and basically play for nothing. The level of talent will be awful as well.

What a crock.....it just makes me even angrier when I look at the programs who will be in this. Programs added for no reason to their existing conferences except for old beliefs of markets for TV. Rutgers, UCF, BC, Syracuse, Cincinnati, Houston. Heck, SMU is basically paying their way into this thing. Why don't we do the same? Tell the Big 12 they can keep 90% of the TV revenue for the first X years. (I know it's not that simple) We just need a seat for when the rift happens.
Really have to hope that Flugaur is right when he says that the Big 12 and UConn are still talking.

Reaction Score
Absolutely! In particular, Syracuse is an over priced, marginal private school located in a depressing, declining city. There is no cachet ( the emperor has no clothes...)
Lamont needs to get active now! BTW, Ned this could be a signature accomplishment for your tenure.
LOL. None of this is going to happen. N.O.N.E.

All of you guys are panicking over absolutely nothing. This turd burger isn't going to happen as it doesn't benefit the big boys. Stop crying and get up.

Reaction Score

I agree with most of this, and it's obviously better not to be left behind and natural to worry about our own situation first, but this is the kind of rift that should not be allowed to happen at all. It's objectively wrong. As it stands now, any university that wants to make the investment can step up to FBS football. This takes that away, in essence, by turning FBS football into a minor league wasteland outside of the breakaway Project Rudy cartel. Anyone not inside the group of cartel universities is permanently out, meaning that most universities in the U.S. cannot participate even if they want to and have the means.

Assuming that football programs and football money contribute to the finances and culture of universities and make them better/more successful in some way, this is unacceptable given the important role universities play in our society, especially state-operated universities. Why should, by my count, at least 16 U.S. states be locked out of having one of their state colleges participate in meaningful football and the income and prestige it provides, if they're willing to make the necessary investment? Why should people in those states be mandatorily left behind, relegated to watching Alabama and Georgia and Iowa and Nebraska, and having their young people leave their state in order to go to a school where that "football culture" is available, often never to return?

In the long run, this is also bad for the football players whom NIL changes are supposedly empowering, because a much smaller number of schools and players will now be participating. It takes away both choice and the number of well-funded opportunities. Things have devolved recently, and changes need to happen, but this is not a good solution. It's the kind of solution power-consolidating elites and venture capitalists come up with when no one else is in the room. It. Does. Not. "Save." Everyone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom