New League Proposal | The Boneyard

New League Proposal

Reaction Score
The fact that UConn is in the G5 division of total bs as a starter. This is why we need to be in a Px conference ASAP.

Navy, but no Army or Air Force? Seems like a nonstarter. Under this scenario, the battle for the last 2 "Power" spots in this scenario would be UConn vs Navy in the East and USF vs Memphis in the South. It is critical that we keep on our current trajectory in football. Given the changing landscape, I am cautiously optimistic that we will be in a Power Conference within the next 36 months.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Any chance this ever picks up steam? If this is truly a football only league where bball and academics don't matter at all can someone explain to me why Boise is left out yet Vandy is in? This is a nightmare scenario for us so I'm not doubting it could ever happen (rule #1) but seeing Memphis in and us with Liberty etc .. I would honestly rather drop to FCS regionally and pay Maine, URI, New Hampshire along with some of the Ivy's with a chance to play in the FCS tournament. That smaller left over group of 60 teams would be an absolute gut punch nightmare.

Reactions: OEX

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
This is one writer from Cincinnati whose opinion matters little.

I do believe something similar to this will happen. It is not if but when

Reaction Score
Like who cares what the NYT thinks about CFB? That's like caring what a newspaper in Birmingham thinks about the shows on Broadway.
This is a proposal from a bunch of administrators. This is not the opinion of some joker journalists. It might have some legs. The fact Cincy and UCF are in the upper division while we are not is a huge issue. We have a massive football perception issue that needs to be resolved quickly. We can't afford to lose anymore and need to get into a Px conference ASAP. This will be the reality once the big boys got a sniff that there are more money they can squeeze out of the system.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Zero percent chance this ever happens. Conference realignment is driven by media dollars/big brand matchups, not geography. Why on earth would B1G and SEC schools ever agree to do this? Not gonna happen.

The deal at major football and basketball programs with the non-revenue sports has always been that football and basketball pay for the whole program, so the rest of the sports put up with things like realignment where field hockey and volleyball teams travel halfway across the country for a game. With the House settlement coming, and potential additional litigation beyond it, football and basketball have become a lot less profitable.

I think a lot of programs are going to be doing some hard assessments of their athletic budgets, and it will impact the non-revenue sports. Most non-revenue sports' coaches that I have seen quoted on this topic wish football would split off, and I think there is a growing number of major universities that may agree with that.

The main reason to keep it all under one roof at this point is if the P2 is making a power play for basketball too. That would be incredibly stupid, likely fail, and result in even more litigation, but I do not put anything past the idiots that run college sports.

I think that TV/Streaming would like football splitting off because that could result in better regional schedules that fans would care more about.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
I don't disagree with the premise of the article, though I do find issue with how UConn was, again, conveniently left out despite meeting criteria 1, 2, and 4 (albeit not per the 100 years, but let's be honest, what happened in the 60's means zilch today, so better to make it a 25 year look back). But seriously, this writer is out of his mind if he thinks FBS will go back to a more regional league setup.

Reaction Score
1) it's the athletic
2) the proposal is from a group of CFB executives, not some random journalist

Read the article next time

Considering the comments here. It doesn’t appear to be worth the time.

Reaction Score
I
This is a proposal from a bunch of administrators. This is not the opinion of some joker journalists. It might have some legs. The fact Cincy and UCF are in the upper division while we are not is a huge issue. We have a massive football perception issue that needs to be resolved quickly. We can't afford to lose anymore and need to get into a Px conference ASAP. This will be the reality once the big boys got a sniff that there are more money they can squeeze out of the system.

Anything that doesn’t put the B1G/SEC exalted over everyone else isn’t happening.

Reaction Score
They’ve lost me at Boston College

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't disagree with the premise of the article, though I do find issue with how UConn was, again, conveniently left out despite meeting criteria 1, 2, and 4 (albeit not per the 100 years, but let's be honest, what happened in the 60's means zilch today, so better to make it a 25 year look back). But seriously, this writer is out of his mind if he thinks FBS will go back to a more regional league setup.

I don't know that the format of the split matters that much. The concept that football should split off is more important. I also think they are not taking into account that several P4 schools may not be that interested in playing at the highest level of football given how much it will cost.

Reaction Score
The deal at major football and basketball programs with the non-revenue sports has always been that football and basketball pay for the whole program, so the rest of the sports put up with things like realignment where field hockey and volleyball teams travel halfway across the country for a game. With the House settlement coming, and potential additional litigation beyond it, football and basketball have become a lot less profitable.

I think a lot of programs are going to be doing some hard assessments of their athletic budgets, and it will impact the non-revenue sports. Most non-revenue sports' coaches that I have seen quoted on this topic wish football would split off, and I think there is a growing number of major universities that may agree with that.

The main reason to keep it all under one roof at this point is if the P2 is making a power play for basketball too. That would be incredibly stupid, likely fail, and result in even more litigation, but I do not put anything past the idiots that run college sports.

I think that TV/Streaming would like football splitting off because that could result in better regional schedules that fans would care more about.
Agree with a lot of your thoughts, but there's no way there'd be this sort of division of all the P's together. The G's yeah maybe. The end game would be the top 30 or so brands/NFL lite standing on their own and then geography/rival-based groupings of everyone else. I don't like it but the big money will drive things. Money goes to money.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Agree with a lot of your thoughts, but there's no way there'd be this sort of division of all the P's together. The G's yeah maybe. The end game would be the top 30 or so brands/NFL lite standing on their own and then geography/rival-based groupings of everyone else. I don't like it but the big money will drive things. Money goes to money.

Football splitting off will still probably result in a P# and G# split. I don't see how G5 and even some P4 schools will be able to or want to compete with a $20 or $40 million annual payroll for a Michigan or USC or Alabama. There is no point to trying.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I didn't and won't be wasting my time reading the article. Does the Super League remove any dead weight teams from the power conferences? If not, then I'm not buying it. No way a Rutgers or Vandy stay in while a more attractive G5 comes in. Heck, they might not even bother to replace them because it means more wealth for everyone else. I just don't see why these schools all need to be added just because they are currently in the conference. Many bring nothing to the table now that markets don't really matter any more when it comes to TV deals. It's all about school followings and who will subscribe to streaming services. I believe the PAC thread has someone in an article mention this. So Rutgers holds no value because they never carried the NY market and the B1G no longer needs them to do so. So why feed their mouths with money. Cut the dead weight

Reaction Score
As if you can dislike someone even more. The best thing for the rest of college football fans to do is stop watching SEC and B1G games. They are a ruthless monopoly acting like a mafia gang. At some point, there has to be some sort of congressional inquiry into this since they are destroying rest of the colleges.
This is why I stopped watching any college football other than our Huskies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom