New DC Candidate Possibilities | Page 15 | The Boneyard

New DC Candidate Possibilities

Reaction Score
We're looking for a "splash" move or at least a re-tread...

We've seen "splashes" belly flop and we've seen re-threads come apart @ cruising speed. All is want is someone that can recruit, develop, motivate, and effectively position the defense for success. I (emphasis on I) could care less what level they come from or who knew their name before the announcement. There are many talented people looking for an opportunity to make a name for themselves and the team lucky enough to take a chance. .

Reaction Score
People who want a “splash” hire need a serious reality check. We pay our d coordinator $300,000 a year. We are not making a splash with that salary.

I’m assuming most were joking about Schiano but those who weren’t - he made 1.5 million with Ohio State this season.

We need a coordinator who is a recruiter first and foremost - someone who has ties to recruiting areas UCONN focuses on. And we need someone motivated, not someone who is fine with coasting in the twilight of their coaching career.

We solve our problems with talent, so getting engaging recruiters at every coaching position is imperative.

Reaction Score
We've seen "splashes" belly flop and we've seen re-threads come apart @ cruising speed. All is want is someone that can recruit, develop, motivate, and effectively position the defense for success. I (emphasis on I) could care less what level they come from or who knew their name before the announcement. There are many talented people looking for an opportunity to make a name for themselves and the team lucky enough to take a chance. .

Beat me to it, lol.

Reaction Score
we must be looking for another Edsall 1.0 then... OK, gotcha....
All kidding aside... I'm with you... We need someone that can help get this thing turned in the right direction PERMANENTLY... enough of this backwards moving stuff....

Reaction Score
People who want a “splash” hire need a serious reality check. We pay our d coordinator $300,000 a year. We are not making a splash with that salary.

I’m assuming most were joking about Schiano but those who weren’t - he made 1.5 million with Ohio State this season.

We need a coordinator who is a recruiter first and foremost - someone who has ties to recruiting areas UCONN focuses on. And we need someone motivated, not someone who is fine with coasting in the twilight of their coaching career.

We solve our problems with talent, so getting engaging recruiters at every coaching position is imperative.
Once we paid Disco all that free $$$ we were strapped...and subsequently, screwed....we have chump change to work with right now...

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Once we paid Disco all that free $$$ we were strapped...and subsequently, screwed....we have chump change to work with right now...
I thought he got paid lump sum upon dismissal.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
About $5 million, right? You don't think that hurt our pockets a little?
I think it may have been a little lower. $3M- $3.5M maybe? No doubt it stung, but I think it had to be paid in full shortly after termination. So no current impact except for the lower reserves.

Reaction Score
Any word of today announcement??? We need a DC for recruiting the next 4 weeks. Gotta show some form of stability

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Yes...Athletics are only one part...you need an education

At this point, I'm far more concerned with the value of entertainment received per dollar spent on Saturday afternoons, than if the Defensive End is passing Geology 134 with a B- or C.

Much of the college experience has long since ceased being about education (academic, anyway), and college athletics has long since ceased being about college.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Amen to that. You find the right person to accomplish your objectives and let them do their job.
Were Calhoun and Geno "splash hires" at the time? Revisionist historians might say Calhoun was but I don't remember great excitement at the time like we had with Hurley's hiring last spring.

Reaction Score
Amen to that. You find the right person to accomplish your objectives and let them do their job.
Were Calhoun and Geno "splash hires" at the time? Revisionist historians might say Calhoun was but I don't remember great excitement at the time like we had with Hurley's hiring last spring.
I was a senior/recently graduated when those two hires were made a year apart. My strong recollection of my reaction to both was "OK, let's see what they got -- can't be worse." They both were up-and-coming coaches -- Geno as a respected assistant at Virginia, Calhoun as a successful mid-major coach at Northeastern. However, my expectations were neither high nor low. The women's program had struggled for as long as I could remember. The guys had been Big East also-rans. My take was that there was a institutional issue that prevented success. As we know now, if there was, these two overcame the obstacles.

Reaction Score
They have some serious recruiting to do to fix the dumpster fire on D. Time is ticking.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Schiano to UCONN as DC - no way. What would interest him is the runway next to the stadium and Pratt & Whitney's Helicopters. That's it.

I am not sure people are looking for a splash hire. Just someone who can coach up players, scheme and recruit studs

Reaction Score
Anyone else concerned that Edsall after demanding that the players get bigger, stronger, faster has left them without a SC coach for over a month this offseason?

Reaction Score
Anyone else concerned that Edsall after demanding that the players get bigger, stronger, faster has left them without a SC coach for over a month this offseason?

Are many of them even on-campus over holiday break?

They’d stick w/ the old S/C program till it’s replaced.

Reaction Score
I believe most of the equipment is tech enabled and the players have their programs set for them. Edsall would receive regular reports.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
They are probably not taking the month off - and even if they are, a month off this time of year at their age is not a big deal.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Forget DC, I would hire Greg Schiano to be our head coach today. Just sayin'.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My take was that there was a institutional issue that prevented success. As we know now, if there was, these two overcame the obstacles.

The long-time AD was fired shortly after Calhoun was hired, eliminating the institutional obstacles.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom